Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Curt Schilling on Good Morning America

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

To some gamers, it sometimes feels as though mainstream media represents video games only in a negative light, but this morning, MMORPGs got some much needed positive publicity from a prominent mainstream media source.

Some time ago, MMORPG.com reported that Boston Red Sox (Major League Baseball) pitcher, Curt Schilling would be pairing up with SOE and EverQuest II to spearhead a charity event to help the battle against ALS, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.

This morning, Schilling appeared on popular morning show, "Good Morning America" to prote the event:

SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA ALERT -- BOSTON RED SOX ACE CURT SCHILLING PROMOTES EVERQUEST II "BATTLE ALS" CHARITY EVENT ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA

Boston Red Sox pitcher and World Series MVP Curt Schilling appeared on Good Morning America on Monday, June 5 to promote his in-game appearance in EverQuest II as part of the "Battle ALS" charity event. Curt appears within the online video game EverQuest II as an evil baddie that players can fight. Every time Curt's in-game avatar is defeated, Sony Online Entertainment will donate $5 (up to $10,000) to the ALS Association, in order to benefit patients with Lou Gehrig's Disease. The "Battle ALS" event takes place from June 5 through June 7, during the three-day Red Sox/Yankees baseball series in New York. EverQuest II players can also contribute independently by typing the "/als" command into the game, and donating directly to the charity.

On Good Morning America, Curt spoke with anchors Diane Sawyer, Charlie Gibson and Marysol Castro throughout the course of the morning. Curt was talking with the hosts as well as playing with his son, Gehrig, 11. Both father and son are avid EverQuest II players.

For more information, visit http://www.battleals.com.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

I have issues with events like this. I have nothing against donating money, that's GREAT, I'm glad they are, but I think that they go about these things the wrong way.

1) In events like these they always base it on how much we give, how much WE do. If they are willing to donate up to 10k, why not just go ahead and donate it NOW. The only reason they base these things off of how much WE do is that they use this entire thing as a promotional propaganda. They would still look good in the eyes of everyone else and attract players if they showed they are willing to donate and use their money to help others on occation without all the propaganda. Instead they aim at attracting people to sign up to meet a celebrity.

2) They always give some measly amount when the SOE company makes millions a year. 10k for a giant company sounds more like they just want to say "look we did something" rather then "look, we actually care."

3) You've no way to prove that the named celebrity is actually playing the toon. For all you know, SOE is just paying him to say what he says, while most likely a Dev is playing the toon. I'm not denying that he may actually be participating, but I have to play Devil's Advocate here and state a quite feasible possibility.

I'm happy they are donating, but I honestly believe the method that they are going about it is very wrong.

• ZeausZeaus Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by JonathJCen

I have issues with events like this. I have nothing against donating money, that's GREAT, I'm glad they are, but I think that they go about these things the wrong way.1) In events like these they always base it on how much we give, how much WE do. If they are willing to donate up to 10k, why not just go ahead and donate it NOW. The only reason they base these things off of how much WE do is that they use this entire thing as a promotional propaganda. They would still look good in the eyes of everyone else and attract players if they showed they are willing to donate and use their money to help others on occation without all the propaganda. Instead they aim at attracting people to sign up to meet a celebrity.2) They always give some measly amount when the SOE company makes millions a year. 10k for a giant company sounds more like they just want to say "look we did something" rather then "look, we actually care."3) You've no way to prove that the named celebrity is actually playing the toon. For all you know, SOE is just paying him to say what he says, while most likely a Dev is playing the toon. I'm not denying that he may actually be participating, but I have to play Devil's Advocate here and state a quite feasible possibility.I'm happy they are donating, but I honestly believe the method that they are going about it is very wrong.

Perhaps but then you've probably got this wrong. They probably are just going to donate the 10k anyways and the rest is just for fun.

In any event Sony have done more charity then any other MMO i can think of. I remember a couple of years back when they took part in the "Make a wish" foundation for Everquest 1. It was some kids dream to kill the sleeper so he got to spend the day with the developers, etc.

In any case I would rather they do more of this then less of it.

-----------------------------
    Want to get into the game industry? Read the game business advice guide.
    Also read GameDev and Gamasutra
    Download Impulse - Like steam but only DRM Free Games