Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Villains: Issue 7: PvP Preview

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

We have a new preview of the signature PvP scenario from the upcoming Issue 7 expansion to City of Heroes and Villains. "Lord Recluse's Victory" pits heroes and villains against each other in a battle for one of the game's most famous zones.

image Issue 7 of City of Heroes/Villains will introduce a new crossover PvP zone for characters of levels 40 to 50: Recluse’s Victory. Last week I was able to attend an event in this new zone, try out the PvP, and speak with Cryptic’s Matt Miller (Lead Designer) and NCSoft’s Mike Crouch (PR Manager).

When you start in the zone as a Hero, you are in a secure hero base where several NPCs can debrief you on the state of the zone. Via a portal much like the Supergroup Base portal, players can enter the main zone area, an alternate dimension of Atlas Park, where heroes and villains duke it out over seven “pillboxes.”

You can read Laura's report here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• VeviVevi Member Posts: 146

Thanks for the article!

I was took part in the 2 day test of this.  LOL, I did not realize half the stuff you mentioned in the article.

• daniellex55daniellex55 Member Posts: 67
    OK. NOW I have a reason to get to lvl 50 in this game.
    Fine!!! I'll stop just playing with the character creator............... ;)

• NetherbeastNetherbeast Member Posts: 55
    What I love is the screenshot of a the monster, Jack in Irons,  in another zone that was introduced about a year ago in CoH only. Way to keep your media timely.

Recluses Victory is a pretty cool looking zone. You are intruduced to the zone through many npcs and cool world changing events. You can see a map display of the pvp zone from other zones to watch the progress. You get to visit the very first zone you enter from CoH and see its destruction.

I am disapointed with the NPC signature characters. They come out to help one side if they are loosing, but they are extremely difficult. A timer clicks down when the zone is won and they disapear really fast so you cant really take one down. Heros camp the villain base promoting the development of sally door. If you are in your base, you can leave through the front or pop up in a random spot on the map if you like. Badge hunters have negated the use of the heavys as you get a badge for controlling the heavy a number of time. So players can control one then abandon it, leaving it unusable until the zone resets.

Overall, the zone looks cool and the pvp is really like a battle now instead of free for all. It's too bad CoH hasnt gotten any non pvp content in a year. CoV is really a much better game by far now.

Give a man fire and he''s warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he''s warm the rest of his life.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Not for me, but nothing I find annoying from what I read.  Nothing, for now, that I feel a PvE player would be shafted by not having in PvE compare to PvPers.

Anyway, as a PvE players, levels are the single most important thing...and they bring 10 levels!!!

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    "It's too bad CoH hasnt gotten any non pvp content in a year."

Erm have you been playing the same game i have? Need i say Striga, The Hollows.. Croatoa? Nope no content here, move along now, nothing to see :P
  • TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Originally posted by Netherbeast

Overall, the zone looks cool and the pvp is really like a battle now instead of free for all. It's too bad CoH hasnt gotten any non pvp content in a year. CoV is really a much better game by far now.

CoH was way ahead of CoV in content; maybe they're just concentrating resources on catching up? :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

Aye, with all the content to be added to Villains for the lvl 40-50 range it's not surprising. A lot of work in itself.

• tutetute Member UncommonPosts: 299

Meh, more of the same. The only things I find really new are the Mayhem missions and I really look forward to how they will implement Ageia physics more into the gameplay. Personally the game hasn't added much for me since Issue 3. Probably just a sign I've been playing too long. New zones don't do it for me. New powersets don't do it for me when they recycle powers, animations and sounds. For me I want new game mechanics so I can use different tactics. With all the balancing and 'new' powersets, tactics havent' changed at all as you just do everything on a smaller scale now. Thus, my gameplay experience has essentially stayed the same for the past 3 issues(not to mention for the past 6 months. Wow, I can't believe no new issue for that long.)

I am so ready for the expansion in 2007. I have no problem paying for real content and I wish the expansion would have come much sooner but I understand they have to bring CoV up to par first. Basically anything I want to see added would be a major undertaking from the small suggestions I have made in the past on the official forums so here's to hoping some of those come true in paid expansion.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    "It's too bad CoH hasnt gotten any non pvp content in a year."

CoH has seen a fair ammount of content in the last year. Croatoa being the most recent. It doesn't help that it's taken more then half a year to get Issue 7 out. You can blame PhysX cards on that one (yes lets delay the patch far beyond what we should so the .2% of our players who have PhysX cards can finally use them!) Although I'm sure they were under pressure to get it going now that PhysX cards are on the market, as much as a crock of shite that they are :p

I8 should be out in about 3-4 months and it's going to have a bunch of new content for CoH. Not the least of which is the lvl50 stuff that precurses the next expansion (2 new powersets for every AT, supposed new epic AT(s) for CoV, bunch of new zones) as well as FINALLY a new powerset for Tankers and Scrappers! Oh and wings *YAY!*

I personally think that now that I7 is just about to hit live, the game is back on an upswing. We've got Positron running the show now. We've got updates on future content, finally the lite at the end of the tunnel on lvl50 content. Hopefully Recluse's Victory is the LAST thing we see on CoX's fixation on PvP (or at least for a while.)

Yep it's a good time to be a CoX player. :D

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471
    Great! Devs have wasted again lot's of their time to stupid PvP. If I want PvP - I will play Counter Strike or American's Army. Only EvE and Planetside have decent MMORPG PvP environment. Stupid devs.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

ROFLs another pvp zone.....wooot so only Stalkers can use it.

Good Game let me know when you intend to make PvP Viable for every template in game and when you intend to back away from your Dover Cliffs of I know it all and admit that more tweaks need to be made to make PvP actually mean something in the game.

Yeah Two complaints here.

Stalkers only reason to pvp.

Fight Clubs in Pvp zones are very stupid. (not a complaint just piling on the stupidity)

PvP has less meaning in CoH/CoV...than it does in World of warcraft.

Good Game you lose again.....

Oh, and if you make such a big deal of adding the Arena in, why did you suddenly forget it existed and not fixed the stupid bugs in it, you get these in game generated matches that are scheduled and then they bug out cuz its faulty lists peopel who have entered butthen quit the game tired of waiting for others to join yet its still isted showing those who entered maybe 2 hours ago.

So you created something then you entered it into the game and its broken, and now you've moved onto other business, and you haven't fixed it yet we get people like Dana Massey who will prostitute themselves out by being your windbag to write up and preview your other deeds or additions to the game and they are well faulty to begin with.

Edit#2

I mean what about their stupidty in letting you outlevel contacts, so you don't get to see the end of the storyline, there is no warning it simply happens and then for the rest of your characters life you sit there with an incomplete progress bar for your past contacts that eats at you if your personality type is to finish things and not continously look at an incomplete in your life of your character. You cannot remove the past contact from your list of contacts.

One time, I finished one contact he sent me to the next contact who gave me ZERO missions and told me to go onto the 3rd contact yet, I have that second contact sitting there with zero missions compelted What the Hell is that!?! I cannot scream loud enough how lacking that makes me feel because of some obscure design decision I now have a contact that I'll never know what her story or missions were about because the game won't let me do it.

• bludgeon565bludgeon565 Member Posts: 2

"If one side gains control of four pillboxes, the loosing side will have NPC reinforcements spawn – and we’re not talking Longbow minions."

I'd like to apply for your senior editor job.  It's spelled "losing".

• NetherbeastNetherbeast Member Posts: 55
    When I said its been a year without non pvp conetnt I may have been mistaken. However Striga was not withn that year.

COV/Issue 6 came out in October 2005. Issue 7 may come out this month, June 2006. Thats 8 months right there. When did issue 5 come out? Was it 4 months before CoV? 8 + 4 = 12 = 1 year. It may have been 6 months. Which is 14 months before today. Which is over a year. So I may be right.

I pose a question. Is CoV is an expansion or a stand alone game? It's been said it's a stand alone game which means that CoH is its own game with its own release schedule and development supposedly. We know it doesn't, but it would be nice. It feels like CoH has been on hold for a very long time.

CoH was a really cool game until CoV showed that it wasn't. I like the idea of heroes and the powersets, but CoV is just so much better. The powers work better together. The zones are more lived in and the missions are better. Stories are better.

Adding PvP zones to CoH is not really adding to the CoH experience. If it wasn't the same price to play both, I would cancel CoH from the neglect and only play CoV.

Give a man fire and he''s warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he''s warm the rest of his life.

"
    Adding PvP zones to CoH is not really adding to the CoH experience.
    If it wasn't the same price to play both, I would cancel CoH from the
    neglect and only play CoV."

It adds to my CoH experience. You can't please everyone.

Oh and i7 is being applied right now as i type btw ;)