Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official "We're Angry about SOE" Thread

Comments

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

We wouldnt be having this conversation if SOE where not SOE - remember that.  The marriage of Sigil and SOE has polarized the community and caused divisions where no divisions existed before.

1. You have the camp who takes the consumerism stance that SOE has a bad rep so they speak with their dollar and never play anything anywhere near affiliated with SOE ever ever again. -- Think about bad meat at a resturant.

2. You have the camp that will play vanguard even if they are on fire, regardless of who is hosting the service and printing the CDs. This camp tends to think everyone else is an idiot for thinking anything differently then their holyier then now viewpoint.

3. You have the camp that may play vanguard and will base the game on the merits of its success (in and of itself) because they dont' know or dont care about the politics of a game - just that its good.

Then you have the outsider who weighs in and makes deductions based on facts.

My prediction is Vanguard will be the elitest game that could have been. Its EQ 2.5 with a slightly modifed engine.  Camp #1 will have far far far greater impact on the game then anyone could imagine and will cause a signifcant number of hardcore veternan gamers into permanent retirement.

Camp #2 will continue to flame people and say :if you don't like it then leave: - just like they did with EQ2 - and they will.

Camp #3 will be where vanguard will be forced to build its community all the eggs are in that basket ('cept for everyone who moves from EQ1 and EQ2) -- which I'm betting is what SOE and Sigil are thinking. They didnt just summairly make this decision, I think they consciously decided to write off a portion of their community with their decision. All elements of damage control are based on trying to reduce the number of people that will leave......but I think they've underestimated the impact affiliating with SOE will have.

Brad is an idealist and I think that's great. But Sigil has made a decision to affiliate themselves with an organization that has time and time again snuffed its customers and obviously made decisions with themselves in mind and not their clients. ....rule #1 is you satifsy your business needs by taking care of the client ...SOE has got that %100 backwards and Sigil is now tied to that regardless of how many FAQs they put out there.

If Sigil is successful then SOE gets a boost and maybe in a decade ppl will stop flaming them.

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Originally posted by Rekindle

We wouldnt be having this conversation if SOE where not SOE - remember that.  The marriage of Sigil and SOE has polarized the community and caused divisions where no divisions existed before.
    1. You have the camp who takes the consumerism stance that SOE has a bad rep so they speak with their dollar and never play anything anywhere near affiliated with SOE ever ever again. -- Think about bad meat at a resturant.
    2. You have the camp that will play vanguard even if they are on fire, regardless of who is hosting the service and printing the CDs. This camp tends to think everyone else is an idiot for thinking anything differently then their holyier then now viewpoint.
    3. You have the camp that may play vanguard and will base the game on the merits of its success (in and of itself) because they dont' know or dont care about the politics of a game - just that its good.

Then you have the outsider who weighs in and makes deductions based on facts.
    My prediction is Vanguard will be the elitest game that could have been. Its EQ 2.5 with a slightly modifed engine.  Camp #1 will have far far far greater impact on the game then anyone could imagine and will cause a signifcant number of hardcore veternan gamers into permanent retirement.
    Camp #2 will continue to flame people and say :if you don't like it then leave: - just like they did with EQ2 - and they will.
    Camp #3 will be where vanguard will be forced to build its community all the eggs are in that basket ('cept for everyone who moves from EQ1 and EQ2) -- which I'm betting is what SOE and Sigil are thinking. They didnt just summairly make this decision, I think they consciously decided to write off a portion of their community with their decision. All elements of damage control are based on trying to reduce the number of people that will leave......but I think they've underestimated the impact affiliating with SOE will have.

Brad is an idealist and I think that's great. But Sigil has made a decision to affiliate themselves with an organization that has time and time again snuffed its customers and obviously made decisions with themselves in mind and not their clients. ....rule #1 is you satifsy your business needs by taking care of the client ...SOE has got that %100 backwards and Sigil is now tied to that regardless of how many FAQs they put out there.
    If Sigil is successful then SOE gets a boost and maybe in a decade ppl will stop flaming them.

I think everyone is misinterpretting how much of an effect the Anti-SOE people have. And I mean, really....everyone forgets the people who love SOE games and found out about and plan on playing Vanguard because of SOE's involvement. Satisfaction with products often goes un-voiced.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    I am looking forward to play Vanguard. I am from the pre-cu SWG, I do not hate SOE, I hate the part of SOE who make SWG crap. They have many games some are crap some are good, depands on people.

Now for the publishing, I see people saying they will not play because of SOE publish the game or if Microsoft publish a game. So according to you guys I should cross of my list the 2 games I am expecting the most Q4 because of their publisher, Age of Conan = MS, Vanguard = SOE. Come on guys they will only publish the game not make it or change it.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

Originally posted by ghost047
    I am looking forward to play Vanguard. I am from the pre-cu SWG, I do not hate SOE, I hate the part of SOE who make SWG crap. They have many games some are crap some are good, depands on people.

Now for the publishing, I see people saying they will not play because of SOE publish the game or if Microsoft publish a game. So according to you guys I should cross of my list the 2 games I am expecting the most Q4 because of their publisher, Age of Conan = MS, Vanguard = SOE. Come on guys they will only publish the game not make it or change it.

If anything, I can understand a problem with AoC, though...IIRC, Microsoft IS involved in the development of that game, not just publishing it.

• RadiotreeRadiotree Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Vengeful
    I think everyone is misinterpretting how much of an effect the Anti-SOE people have. And I mean, really....everyone forgets the people who love SOE games and found out about and plan on playing Vanguard because of SOE's involvement. Satisfaction with products often goes un-voiced.

Please tell me you're kidding?
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I enjoyed SWG when it first came out for about 2 months.  The quests were horrid, and the while the harvesting and crafting system was AWESOME, the final result of crafting was not.   Right when I thought about giving SWG a second try I started to hear how screwed up the game was.

I was REALLY pissed when EQ2 was first released.  What the hell was that?  Only able to sell if your on-line?  Since then the game has improved incredibly.

So I'm only a little angry at SOE.  SWG wasn't all that great to begin with so I cancelled, and EQ2 is a pretty good game. 

I can't wait to see all the crying/trolling etc. that's going to hit the fan when Vanguard comes out.  I'm not going to touch that game untill it's been out for 6-8 months (but that probably goes for any game).  I can GUARANTEE that the game will be released in the same fashion and quality as EQ2 was.  Do you think your going to have all the 3rd generation functionality promised to be in the game at launch?  Waiting even a month to realease a game for a few in game issues costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.  This one's being released with problems, just in time to ruin your Christmas

I'll let all you fanbois beta test the retail version of game for me. 

All that said, I am still looking foward to playing Vanguard. 

If anything, I can understand a problem with AoC, though...IIRC, Microsoft IS involved in the development of that game, not just publishing it.

I am talking about the new game coming out, they are only publish by those company and people are still saying they will not play because they will screw the game again. You can not screw something if you do not do it.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

Originally posted by Radiotree

Not in the slightest. You do realize that all of the SOE games do have subscriptions, right? They aren't barren wastelands with tumbleweeds blowing around.

I am talking about the new game coming out, they are only publish by those company and people are still saying they will not play because they will screw the game again. You can not screw something if you do not do it.

Can I get a translation?

Can I get a translation?

Of course you can have a translation:
    Je parle a propos des nouveaux jeu qui vont sortir, ils vont seulement etre publié par ces compagnies et tous le mondes continu de dire qu'ils ne vont pas jouer parce que ils vont ruiner le jeu encore. Tu ne peux pas ruiner quleque chose si tu ne le crée pas.

I hope it will help you.

Can I get a translation?

Je parle a propos des nouveaux jeu qui vont sortir, ils vont seulement etre publié par ces compagnies et tous le mondes continu de dire qu'ils ne vont pas jouer parce que ils vont ruiner le jeu encore. Tu ne peux pas ruiner quleque chose si tu ne le crée pas.

I hope it will help you.

Two things:

1) I think I understood that moreso than I did the origional post =/
    2) Dern Canadians =)

<3

Can I get a translation?

I hope it will help you.

Two things:

You forgot 2) Dern French Canadians =)

<3

lol, I think your english is as bad as mine!!!

Can I get a translation?

I hope it will help you.

Two things:

You forgot 2) Dern French Canadians =)

<3

lol, I think your english is as bad as mine!!!

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Shayde
    Exactly. Brad PROBABLY leveraged the buyout with whatever $OE paid them. Money doesn't just magically appear, especially totals like that.

"Sigil and Microsoft agreed to amicably part ways when we decided to raise money ourselves to buy the publishing rights away from them and they agreed to it. (and the money we are raising is NOT coming from SOE)"  Brad McQuaid

image image

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by n2sooners

Originally posted by ShaydeExactly. Brad PROBABLY leveraged the buyout with whatever $OE paid them. Money doesn't just magically appear, especially totals like that.

"Sigil and Microsoft agreed to amicably part ways when we decided to raise money ourselves to buy the publishing rights away from them and they agreed to it. (and the money we are raising is NOT coming from SOE)"  Brad McQuaid

Even if they didn't get the money directly from $OE, the fact that they have a "stable" publishing agreement with $OE puts them in the position to borrow said funds.

That, and if Brad's shooting straight with everyone. Every damage control post he posts would deny $OE's involvement in anything.

Wait and see people... wait and see.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• HelternHeltern Member Posts: 193

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Sony strikes again! BTW, expect EQ2 type character sales and equipment sales in Vanguard by the most evil game company out there!

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

Its good to have another thread to spew forth venom against SOE on.     

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• IncantationIncantation Member Posts: 7

First off, you made a mistake in number 4. They didn't need a new financial backer. They bought all the rights from MS without any help from SOE.

OMG that is so naive. So Brad and Jeff broke their piggy banks and came up with the tens of millions of dollars MS invested in this game? Lmao. No. They borrowed money or got investors. Maybe it was SOE, and maybe it was an affiliate of SOE, but even if it wasn't, be sure of one thing - that money wasn't loaned or invested because Brad makes rabbits out of napkins at parties. They would have had to leverage the game itself to raise that level of capital. Somebody other than Sigil now has a say so in the direction of this game, because they have to pay all that money back to someone.

Um how do you know MS invested tens of millions of dollars in a video game? Or even this one for that matter. MS didn't get where they are today by overspending. It is very plausible that they came up with the amount to buy back rights to the game. Whether or not it happened that way is another thing.

• RedslayerRedslayer Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by Heltern

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.
    It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.
    We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.
    When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Sony strikes again! BTW, expect EQ2 type character sales and equipment sales in Vanguard by the most evil game company out there!

I have heard about that and I can honostly say ... I HATE that idea 100% ... thats saying alot since I rarely(maybe 4 out of the 45 games I own for ps2 and xbox,were bought used.) And I don't trade games... ever because I hate the idea of getting less then half what I paid for something and then seeing it for sale for twice what they gave me for it.

But the main problem I see is ... What about game rentals? will that be effected? from wht I have heard it will. Personally I like to try alot of games and buy them if I like them,If I can't rent games anymore then I think I might stick to the Xbox 360 even tho I don't like Microsoft (Every Xbox I ever owned was a piece of sht).

[edit] note to all -- I do NOT hate SOE or any part of Sony atm I prefer Sony over Microsoft due to bad exp with the (have owned 2 because my first one was messed up from the start and the 2nd one has died now,In the same time I have owned only 1 ps2 and it still works great.)Xbox game console.

~Redslayer-Saga of Ryzom~ Active again!
    ~Kinch/Lotu-WoW~ Retired
    True RedSlayer - Eve ~ Current Primary game

• IncantationIncantation Member Posts: 7

Um well I love the fact that I can subscribe to all games for one fee. That has to be one of the best things about SOE. Yeah I think they do alot of crap that I don't like but I'm not about to pronounce them "evil". The drama is thick enough.

Ultimately Ill play Vanguard regardless if SOE publishes it or not. If the game sucks Ill stop playing and find a different one. Complaining is probably the best word of mouth advertising for the company. You may not like what they do but you yourselves who write mail and subscribe to forums to complain about them have been duped into providing them with free advertising. That may sound stupid but think about how many times youve uttered SOE's name in frustration. SOE appreciates your help in spreading their name. I think its great. Keep up the good work angry anti-SOEers.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Fact: Whatever $OE touches turns into poo poo.

Fact: John Smedley is a cancerous pollip upon the anus of humanity.

Fact: $OE are obssesed with turning one of their games into "WoW part 2".

Fact: $OE are offering an online service for the PS3 for the exact same price as the station pass. Although they refuse to answer which games will be available on this service.

Fact: Every MMO purchased by $OE to date with the exception of EQ (owned by Smedley himself), has gone down the pan.

Fact: $OE has perhaps the worst customer support in the MMO industry.

Fact: $OE is the most hated MMO company in the industry (as you can see by these stickies).

Fact: John Smedley is perfectly happy with producing a sub-standard product with unfinished expansion packs and having the subscriber pay through subscriptions to "complete" it.

Fact: $OE employees (including Smedley) spend more time playing WoW than their own titles (if they play their own titles at all!).

Fact: If you play this game with $OE as the publisher, you will be lied to and treated like scum until you get so browned off you cancel.

Fact: $medley sees you as cattle, and will begin sheering you from day one.

Fact: If the game doesn't attract WoW numbers within 6 months Devs will be cut back and Vanguard will be running on a skeleton crew.

Fact: $OE now controls the purse strings, therefore they control the game no matter what is said.

Fact: $medley is evil incarnate.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• TommyKHartTommyKHart Member UncommonPosts: 294

Ill make 3 points of what you just said.

1) Not one of those things you said are fact. There your opinion.

2) If you have a really big problem with soe then dont play there games. We really couldn't care what you think.

3) maybe you should stop thinking all these games are based around what you want. Soe doesnt base there games around what YOU want. Some ppl won't like what they do, some ppl will. Instead of just flaming a load of rubbish, how aobut you use some constructive criticism

• Originally posted by Agricola1

Fact: $OE are offering an online service for the PS3 for the exact same price as the station pass. Although they refuse to answer which games will be available on this service.
    Fact: Every MMO purchased by $OE to date with the exception of EQ (owned by Smedley himself), has gone down the pan.
    Fact: $OE is the most hated MMO company in the industry (as you can see by these stickies).
    Fact: John Smedley is perfectly happy with producing a sub-standard product with unfinished expansion packs and having the subscriber pay through subscriptions to "complete" it.
    Fact: $OE employees (including Smedley) spend more time playing WoW than their own titles (if they play their own titles at all!).
    Fact: If you play this game with $OE as the publisher, you will be lied to and treated like scum until you get so browned off you cancel.
    Fact: If the game doesn't attract WoW numbers within 6 months Devs will be cut back and Vanguard will be running on a skeleton crew.
    Fact: $OE now controls the purse strings, therefore they control the game no matter what is said.

*giggles* whatever makes you sleep at night

Originally posted by Jaklyn

Originally posted by Agricola1

*giggles* whatever makes you sleep at night

Valium.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Bah! I give it 6 months before Brad sells out and does a runner, leaving everyone in the lurch at the total mercy of the evil $medley. Fanbois have been warned.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis