Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Official "We're Angry at SOE" thread

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Lepidus

Originally posted by SagoI may be wrong, and I appologize to Stradden ahead of time if I am, but the way I see it:
    I think THIS thread, in combination with the RECENT influx of blatantly obvious $OE Developers trying to BS everyone about how GREAT this POS SWG is and how wonderful the $OE developers are at what they do, is HIGHLY suspect. They have obviously complained to management here at MMORPG.COM.
    No one from SOE or LA has complained about anything.

They won't beleive you Lep. Conspiracy theory for the win!

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SagoSago Member Posts: 516

Originally posted by Sago

I may be wrong, and I appologize to Stradden ahead of time if I am, but the way I see it:
    I think THIS thread, in combination with the RECENT influx of blatantly obvious $OE Developers trying to BS everyone about how GREAT this POS SWG is and how wonderful the $OE developers are at what they do, is HIGHLY suspect. They have obviously complained to management here at MMORPG.COM.

No one from SOE or LA has complained about anything.

Thank you

Sago Mactow
    Former SWG 2yr 7 month Vet
    6/26/03 - 1/26/06
    Jedi, Master Shipwright, Master Architect
    DFR Councilman
    Tarq Server

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Malickiebloo 
    . ALmost every game on the market sees facelifts everyday, In order to keep things fresh for their players . IF they are having major declines in subscriptions (losing more than they gain ) It is suiting they try and improve it and reach more peoples expectations .

What soe did was try and improve their game , Did they succeed ? That is dependant on opinion .  But that dose not mean other companys in the furture should not try and improve their products . Soe will still keep changing their game until it reaches what players want (not just vets but , players interested in a Star wars MMO in general  ) Or it will never see a finsihed state due to time constraints and funding .

Facelift?

That's like saying the six million dollar man had a hangnail taken care of.

They improved the game with JTL, they improved the game with ROTW and even to a point ToOW. If you kept the two game "facelifts" separate, they did a lot to improve the game.

Only problem is that not once, but TWICE they screwed up the core game. They added content, but WORSENED the functionality.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Shayde

. ALmost every game on the market sees facelifts everyday, In order to keep things fresh for their players . IF they are having major declines in subscriptions (losing more than they gain ) It is suiting they try and improve it and reach more peoples expectations .

What soe did was try and improve their game , Did they succeed ? That is dependant on opinion .  But that dose not mean other companys in the furture should not try and improve their products . Soe will still keep changing their game until it reaches what players want (not just vets but , players interested in a Star wars MMO in general  ) Or it will never see a finsihed state due to time constraints and funding .

Facelift?

That's like saying the six million dollar man had a hangnail taken care of.

They improved the game with JTL, they improved the game with ROTW and even to a point ToOW. If you kept the two game "facelifts" separate, they did a lot to improve the game.

Only problem is that not once, but TWICE they screwed up the core game. They added content, but WORSENED the functionality.

WHere did I say I didn't feel they screwed up ? that is not the major point of my post , therefor I didn't further the statement . I said all games get facelifts that is not in reference to SWG alone .  The point was The game will continually be changed until A. They get it right or B. It shuts down . Same goes for any game on the market .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Originally posted by Minimum

Originally posted by Clackamas

If you have a thoughtful discussion that does not involve death threats, then feel free to make new threads.

Ok, so if I only want to maim them a little, that's ok? (sorry, couldn't resist)

I seem to recall John Smedley jokingly express concern about attending one of the Summits for fear of being shot... It is unfortunate that he made the joke.  While I dislike J.S. and wish to see him fired and banned from the MMORPG industry, I certainly don't wish him nor the staff any physical harm... a little humility maybe.
  • Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    So we aren't allowed to:

/kneel;
    /meditate;
    /powerboost;
    /pause 20;
    /center;
    /tar %personwhodesignednge%;
    /warcry2;
    /dizzy;
    /knockdown;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /pause 20;

/warcry2;

/dizzy;

/knockdown;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;
    /pause 20;

/warcry2;

/dizzy;

/knockdown;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

(triple for the win)

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

(snipping the rest)
    I don't agree to the WOW conspiracy . I have played both games extensively . They are as different as an apple and an orange . If anything they used wow as a buisness model to follow . But still changes are changes massive or small . It is all in an attempt to improve their product .

Wow = levels, NGE = levels (granted from cu)

Wow= quest driven leveling, NGE = quet driven leveling

Wow= locked into a class, NGE = locked into a class (unless you pay)

Wow= talent subsets to make the people in the same class different (does not really work for alot of the classes), NGE = Professional subsets (3, same ammount as wow btw) to allow people is the smae class to be different

Wow= target lock, with facing and los, NGE= no target lock

WoW=crafting some of it is very useful, some of it is not, NGE = Crafting, if we believe Obriak then some of it is very useful and other ascpests are not.

frankly Mali there are a lot if basic similarites wether you like it our not. I have to disagree with saying that they are apples and oranges. About the ONLY thing NGE was over WoW currently is a kick in the back side space simulator.

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    So we aren't allowed to:

/kneel;
    /meditate;
    /powerboost;
    /pause 20;
    /center;
    /warcry2;
    /dizzy;
    /knockdown;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /unarmedhit3;
    /pause 20;

/warcry2;

/dizzy;

/knockdown;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;
    /pause 20;

/warcry2;

/dizzy;

/knockdown;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

/unarmedhit3;

(triple for the win)

Nope.. not since the CU.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

Originally posted by Seloth

(snipping the rest)
    I don't agree to the WOW conspiracy . I have played both games extensively . They are as different as an apple and an orange . If anything they used wow as a buisness model to follow . But still changes are changes massive or small . It is all in an attempt to improve their product .

Wow = levels, NGE = levels (granted from cu)

Wow= quest driven leveling, NGE = quet driven leveling

Wow= locked into a class, NGE = locked into a class (unless you pay)

Wow= talent subsets to make the people in the same class different (does not really work for alot of the classes), NGE = Professional subsets (3, same ammount as wow btw) to allow people is the smae class to be different

WoW=crafting some of it is very useful, some of it is not, NGE = Crafting, if we believe Obriak then some of it is very useful and other ascpests are not.

frankly Mali there are a lot if basic similarites wether you like it our not. I have to disagree with saying that they are apples and oranges. About the ONLY thing NGE was over WoW currently is a kick in the back side space simulator.

There's a TON of similarities. Not in the actual combat matrix, but the classes and such.

Only thing is that $OE got it NOWHERE NEAR right.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

Sorry Shayde,

I did not want to spend 4 hours writting up all the things i find similiar between wow and both cu and the final trainwreck.

I thought it was obvious that SWG was moved from a snadbox game to a wow clone.

Now do I hate SoE? nope, they made a business decision. they get to live with it, i choose to spend my gamign dollars with companies that can put out a patch that does not have more holes than a block of swiss cheese, a company that understands the concept of regression testing, and god forbid a goal of 95% bug free code per patch

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Seloth

(snipping the rest)

Wow = levels, NGE = levels (granted from cu)Eq2 =levels Daoc=Levels LineageII=levels Eq1=levels Almost all games on the market do .

Wow= quest driven leveling, NGE = quet driven leveling EQ2 , EQ1, DAOC

Wow= locked into a class, NGE = locked into a class (unless you pay) EQ2 EQ1 DAOC

Wow= talent subsets to make the people in the same class different (does not really work for alot of the classes), NGE = Professional subsets (3, same ammount as wow btw) to allow people is the smae class to be different COmpared to what is on Live at present this Could be a big improvement .

WoW=crafting some of it is very useful, some of it is not, NGE = Crafting, if we believe Obriak then some of it is very useful and other ascpests are not.  AGain most game son the market are like this .

I never said there were not similarities . But NGE's changes seem more to me like DDO than WOW . CU was almost a clone of EQ2 but from what i understand EQ2 devs designed it . But no system IMO has been a Clone of WOW .

That is why I say they are wanting a more Wow like buisness model not game. Simplicity and adventuring over sandbox openness . But to say Playing SWg is like playing WOW is off I'm sorry .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I actually agree wow is more fun.

but for the rest sorry, wow is the target now not any of the others. they did NOT revamp this game because of eq1 haveing the subs, nor doac, nor any other game, the only reason that was a cataliyst was the fact the WOW did something no one expected and grow to a size that was embarassing to SoE ("the leader in online game play").

Granted this is only my opinion but if wow had never did what it did then cu and nge would have never happened. So yes i stand by my statement that any changed made to swg from cu onwards was a direct result to soe tryign to caputre the same gaming model as wow had.

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020
    But that's why I come here. I find it funny watching both sides bounce off each other and come with good burns on one another.
  • MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by MX13
    Last, attempting to silent those who have issues with SOE would personally disgust me, and would turn me against your site, while currently I am a huge supporter of your information and independance.

I really dont see this as an attempt to silence anyone , atleast not yet anyway .I see this as a good move on their part . They probably had two options start deleting /banning Or open the subject to the public eye in a constructive manner . If People want to find out why people are mad at SOE , WHat better way than a sticky at the top ?

It seems they want posts in other threads to have substance other than SOE is the "Devil" . It imo seems as a gift and a warning . /shrug

Agreed, that's why I phrased that statement the way I did. My point was that if the next step they take is to begin to delete posts with valid concerns & points, they would be crossing a line.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by ixontes

Originally posted by ixontes
    Has anyone investigated if the Better Business Bureau would get involved?
    With SOE or MMORPG?

SOE

Kinda... You can file a complaint with the BBB out of California since that is where Sony's Corp office is located. They have a file, but they will not file lawsuits on individuals behalfs (so the letter I got stated).

Xcathdra

SOE has a HUGE file, and many complaints filed against it. You can request a summary of the complaints & finds from the BBB. I personally have had a finding in my favor, as have 2 Guldies, all for serious Customer Service violations. Sony Corp is a charter member of the BBB, and SOE being a sub or SC, is bound under that charter. In fact, I began work today on another complaint based on that SOE is still billing me monthly for $41.99 and have refused to even investigate it.

Oh, and the BB recieved so many complaints about the NGE / ToOW Fraud that they warned SOE to offer Refunds and if you filed a complaint, they informed you an investigation was already started about this issue.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

This is an interesting turn of events, isn't it?  I can imagine from mmorpg.com's point of view, a few things may drive it.

1.  They'd like to concentrate this topic in one thread.  Freedom of speech is maintained or a semblance of it by putting all the angst in one thread.

2.  People who do like Galaxies and other SOE games feel as if they can't talk about their game here and compare it good and bad with other games without being attacked.

3.  I noticed a pretty ugly thread on the Vanguard forums that got locked, the real interesting thing in that thread being the utterly rabid defense and hatred stirred up in the Vanguard crowd by someone who didn't care for SOE and their methods taking over a game he and many others were looking forward to as a replacement world for Galaxies.  I don't think those who come from EQ 1 and 2 who are the main Vanguard fanbase can understand how disappointing this move was.  I think it is dying down and people are now looking yet elsewhere, but there will remain historically a real resentment towards SOE for what they did to Galaxies and for taking over the next best hope of a detailed world.

4.  I expect that SOE, who betrayed players, destroyed the world and game that was issued as "Live the saga!" for thousands and thousands of people, is going to have to live with the feedback from their decisions and practices for a long long time and they deserve to suffer bad press and bad feelings for it, they really do.

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

The most interesting part of all of this is that it has not redirected the anti-SOE expressions in this forum. True, this thread is at 8 pages in a matter of hours but the posts keep rolling in on the other threads. Arguably the only thing that it has accomplished is that is made one consistent "in your face" thread that will overtake the MOST ACTIVE thread area on the main index page.

It still is my hunch that after about a few dozen pages, this thread will die down and the posters will go to the threads in here where thier comments won't be found on page MCCXXII.

Where is Wiley Coyote when you need him?

• UncleTomUncleTom Member Posts: 12

Pre-CU FTW

My evolution of SWG - Spend 8 months of my life mindlessly ridding Endor of infestation, carefully avoiding NPCs (losing days worth of grinding to BHs sucked). 

At the end of the 8 months, I have my full template and prepare the world to taste my fury.  Unfortunately, I woke up one morning and got one shotted by a pig I had killed 10000 times before without getting scratched (thx CU).

Fast forward six months, and my entire previous fourteen months has been cast aside so new players can wield a saber too (thx NGE).

GG SOE.  Bastards.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

This is all fine.. but lets get back to the purpose of this thread... why do we need a special thread?  And why isn't the news of SOE mistreatment of customers and games not getting a news article out of MMORPG?

The problem is that this story is old. We covered the NGE when it came out, we reviewed it and I wrote a quite clear editorial on what I thought of the issue. The problem is that these boards are unusable by anyone who may still want to play the game because anyone who says anything about the game other than "I hate SOE" is chased out the front door before their second post.

A lot of what you guys complain about is fair comment, but really, its been a few months and frankly you've voted with your dollars by canceling your accounts. This thread is here and should easily be a warning for anyone who comes by these boards to see what is up if they did not know. All we want is for all users to be able to discuss things in peace, you guys long ago stopped allowing that, not only on this board but every other SOE boards.

On many of them, it's not even fair comment. Thus, to be fair across them all, we started a thread of this nature. If there are any new developments that cause you to hate SOE more, feel free to discuss them outside this thread. All we ask is that if you want to rant about how much you hate SOE, do it here. If you have a thoughtful discussion that does not involve death threats, then feel free to make new threads. Just end the hijacking of every thread and respect the original poster's desire to talk about whatever they wanted to talk about.

ROFL!  Just made my day.  I think this is more for your spam trol threads, Pre-cu 4tw, NGE is teh suq, Pre-CU is teh suq, etc.  I think nostalgia threads, intelligent critques of different playstyles, etc, are not covered by this warning.
  • DistilerDistiler Member Posts: 416
    MMORPG.com I adore your work but you should understand that our contribution to the health of this market is essential. We should be allowed to troll SOE openly and say the truth to everyone and the truth is that SOE-SWG is a real big fraud. We lost months of our lives putting effort in SWG...it's all vapour now, and SOE knew it way before NGE. Don't try to understand this if you haven't played SWG during last year.

Now, can I flame SOE? I won't troll the forums, but I'll flame to the max SOE if anyone asks or talks about it.

• ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Originally posted by Distiler
    MMORPG.com I adore your work but you should understand that our contribution to the health of this market is essential. We should be allowed to troll SOE openly and say the truth to everyone and the truth is that SOE-SWG is a real big fraud. We lost months of our lives putting effort in SWG...it's all vapour now, and SOE knew it way before NGE. Don't try to understand this if you haven't played SWG during last year.

Now, can I flame SOE? I won't troll the forums, but I'll flame to the max SOE if anyone asks or talks about it.

I agree our opinons should be unfettered and pirrg among others should live with it.  However, physical threats should and continue to be disallowed.   On that point, I do aggree with Dana without reservation.
  • DistilerDistiler Member Posts: 416
    "physical threats should and continue to be disallowed"

Sure, I fully agree. I prefer dialectics to round-house-kicks ^^

• xPaladinxPaladin Member UncommonPosts: 741
    I just peeked over at the Vanguard forums and I get where the staff is coming from fully now.

:(

-- xpaladin

[MMOz]
    AC1/2, AO, DAoC, EQ1/2, SoR, SWG, UO, WAR, WoW

• kymekyme Member Posts: 411

Where are our pre-cu servers with the promise of no game changing updates?

• hargravehargrave Member Posts: 329

Join now its free screw SOE !! join the cancelled list please im trying to compile a cancelled list join now its free take a stand against SOE.

http://groups.myspace.com/boycottswg

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

This discussion has been closed.