Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Official "We're Angry at SOE" thread

Comments

• britocabritoca Member Posts: 1,484

Originally posted by BadBoyOnFire
    No offence Stradden but i don't think most people are inteionally "highjacking" other peoples threads regarding a single "We hate SoE" issue.

Its the fact the whole game - and every last aspect of it - has changed completely, which prompts discussion on almost all threads.

But, heres my two cents.

"1 H4T3 $0E!!!!!1111111111 LAWL!!!".

Exactly.  A change as drastic as the NGE was beggin for nothing less than thread after thread of intense discussion.  All it takes is for anyone to say something along the lines of "I like this because..."  and it's bait.

peace

-virtual tourist
    want your game back?

• ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Originally posted by britoca

No offence Stradden but i don't think most people are inteionally "highjacking" other peoples threads regarding a single "We hate SoE" issue.

Its the fact the whole game - and every last aspect of it - has changed completely, which prompts discussion on almost all threads.

But, heres my two cents.

Exactly.  A change as drastic as the NGE was beggin for nothing less than thread after thread of intense discussion.  All it takes is for anyone to say something along the lines of "I like this because..."  and it's bait.

peace

This is all fine.. but lets get back to the purpose of this
    thread... why do we need a special thread?  And why isn't the news of
    SOE mistreatment of customers and games not getting a news article out
    of MMORPG?
  • XcathdraXcathdra Member CommonPosts: 1,027

Independant media.. Good gravy what could that mean? IMHO im guessing mmorpg was threatened in some way shape or form from SOE about all the "negativve" feedback that has been coming through here.

We gets posts from people with 2 or 3 posts to their credit about how the game is best.

Now we get this..

Obviously its your forums and you can run them however you see fit. I think its crazy though to think people will only post their hatred of SOE in this forums, while ignoring any other topic that comes up.

SOE is now reaping the rewards from what they have sewn. Let them deal with this on their own. I am pretty sure they dont need help from you guys..

Xcathdra

Having access to a billion $ IP - Billions of dollars..
    Having access to a massive fan base of said IP - Even more Billons...
    Singly handedly alienating them due to stupidity - Priceless.

• KrispyJoeKrispyJoe Member Posts: 1

SWG used to be good. NGE ruined it without a doubt.

http://img1.imageshack.us/img1/1286/smedtruth5tr.png

I Hate SOE for their shady business practices and blatent false promises - "Hey Smugglers, yeah your revamp's comming, just wait ONE MORE Publish"

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=ngesmuggler&message.id=305

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Xcathdra
    Independant media.. Good gravy what could that mean? IMHO im guessing mmorpg was threatened in some way shape or form from SOE about all the "negativve" feedback that has been coming through here.
    We gets posts from people with 2 or 3 posts to their credit about how the game is best.
    Now we get this..
    Obviously its your forums and you can run them however you see fit. I think its crazy though to think people will only post their hatred of SOE in this forums, while ignoring any other topic that comes up.
    SOE is now reaping the rewards from what they have sewn. Let them deal with this on their own. I am pretty sure they dont need help from you guys..Xcathdra

And it couldn't be the obvious could it? It has to be SOE threatening them..

It couldn't be they don't want their public image to be a bunch of raving disgruntled ex-fans re-hashing the NGE debacle over and over again chasing off newcomers that want to post constructively? Couldn't be MMORPG.COM interested in their own image to the industry, no that would make too much sense.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Clackamas

Originally posted by Fadeus

And apparently you feel everyone EXCEPT you are sheep lead by the media?

Naw I am not the only one but one of the few.  The rest are lead by media because they can't be bothered, have never been taught or failed to learn critical thinking skills.  And applies to both fanbois and pro pre-CU/pre-NGE posters alike.

In essence it seems you are referring to "outside of the box thinking " . Yes in many cases the mass public tends to "follow the herd" so to speak . Yet in most cases within , It usually amounts to a comfort factor . Usually out of the box thinking tends to lean toward a chaotic sense of reality . Which I am far guilty of . Therefor what comes out of my mouth in real life often leaves many completely clueless , what it is I am saying to them .

But in regards to this actual topic . I fail to see much out of the box thinking taking place on either side of the coin .Most people cling to one side of the issue , Totally ignoring any stance  that differs from their own .  That is the epitome of sheepish thinking imo . I would say if you cling to the belief that SOE are "evil" . WIthout looking at things on their end as a buisness not as a charity  (that owes you something) . Its is so inside the box I don't think you could possibly get out . Just as if you fail at all to see why people were mad , And feel SOE has done nothing wrong .

Yes there are other "free" thinking individuals here. But a majority of them remain neutral and non offensive .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ixontesixontes Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Has anyone investigated if the Better Business Bureau would get involved?

Originally posted by ixontes

With SOE or MMORPG?
  • ixontesixontes Member UncommonPosts: 317

With SOE or MMORPG?

SOE

Originally posted by Wakizashi

This thread surprises me.  It is clear that someone has gotten to mod(s).  Probably some fanboi or crybaby got their feelings hurt and now they made a stinky in their pants. 

Too Bad I say!  I will never stop trolling SOE!  They get exactly what they deserve.  Be it Karma, or outright destiny, what happens, happens for a reason.  If SOE or fanbois don't like hearing bad things, maybe they should cut off their ears. 

Sons of Smedley must die!

If that is the only reason you are here , I don't think MMORPG.com really cares to have your buisness .I know for sure I would not . 

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

But, heres my two cents.

I agree.  If the "hate" that is going around is due to the NGE, then this is an issue that spreads across many mmorpgs topics in general, because with what they've done, SOE has set a precedent.  Whenever there is discussion about another mmorpg and changes to it, this SOE/SWG issues comes to the forefront.  Hopefully, enough of this disapproval can be spread around to negate the precendent set by SOE/SWG, and so developers/publishers will looks down on this low tactic of changing their game, alienating veteran players in order to reach a new demographic and earn a few extra dollars.

With that said, I am proud to say that I am a fan of SOE, I love Everquest and Everquest II, and I have no hate at all.  That doesn't mean I am alright with what they've done to SWG, and it certainly doesn't mean that I will stop expressing my opinions about it, in context with the topic of the thread.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    h8

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• duggoduggo Member Posts: 387

This is all fine.. but lets get back to the purpose of this thread... why do we need a special thread?  And why isn't the news of SOE mistreatment of customers and games not getting a news article out of MMORPG?

What part of this gentle hint to "please stop hijacking every thread that mentions an SOE product with your rants on their treatment of SWG" are you not grasping?

-d

Waiting on: Pirates of the Burning Sea and Pirates of the Carribean Online

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

This is all fine.. but lets get back to the purpose of this thread... why do we need a special thread?  And why isn't the news of SOE mistreatment of customers and games not getting a news article out of MMORPG?

The problem is that this story is old. We covered the NGE when it came out, we reviewed it and I wrote a quite clear editorial on what I thought of the issue. The problem is that these boards are unusable by anyone who may still want to play the game because anyone who says anything about the game other than "I hate SOE" is chased out the front door before their second post.

A lot of what you guys complain about is fair comment, but really, its been a few months and frankly you've voted with your dollars by canceling your accounts. This thread is here and should easily be a warning for anyone who comes by these boards to see what is up if they did not know. All we want is for all users to be able to discuss things in peace, you guys long ago stopped allowing that, not only on this board but every other SOE boards.

On many of them, it's not even fair comment. Thus, to be fair across them all, we started a thread of this nature. If there are any new developments that cause you to hate SOE more, feel free to discuss them outside this thread. All we ask is that if you want to rant about how much you hate SOE, do it here. If you have a thoughtful discussion that does not involve death threats, then feel free to make new threads. Just end the hijacking of every thread and respect the original poster's desire to talk about whatever they wanted to talk about.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

Originally posted by Shayde
    Guess that means there'll be no other threads on this board ever again.

LOL How true...

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

Originally posted by Tymora

But, heres my two cents.

I agree.  If the "hate" that is going around is due to the NGE, then this is an issue that spreads across many mmorpgs topics in general, because with what they've done, SOE has set a precedent.  Whenever there is discussion about another mmorpg and changes to it, this SOE/SWG issues comes to the forefront.  Hopefully, enough of this disapproval can be spread around to negate the precendent set by SOE/SWG, and so developers/publishers will looks down on this low tactic of changing their game, alienating veteran players in order to reach a new demographic and earn a few extra dollars.

. ALmost every game on the market sees facelifts everyday, In order to keep things fresh for their players . IF they are having major declines in subscriptions (losing more than they gain ) It is suiting they try and improve it and reach more peoples expectations .

What soe did was try and improve their game , Did they succeed ? That is dependant on opinion .  But that dose not mean other companys in the furture should not try and improve their products . Soe will still keep changing their game until it reaches what players want (not just vets but , players interested in a Star wars MMO in general  ) Or it will never see a finsihed state due to time constraints and funding .

• GlemoranGlemoran Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Stradden

Hi Guys,
    It seems as though there has been quite a bit of SOE hate recently, and it has gotten to the point where it is taking over the forums for SOE games. As a result, I am creating this sticky where people can vent their frustrations on this subject.
    Please do not continue to hijack other threads with this issue. Also, remember to have a look at our Rules of Conduct regarding what is ok to say and what is not.
    Cheers,
    Jon "Stradden" Wood, Community Manager

Actually, I must say I am NOT angry at SOE. They are just a company like any other and if they took a wrong decision they will pay for it, no matter what their PR team is instructed to tell us. But I am VERY sorry I don't have any other option to play a SW online game, because (like millions of people), I love the Star Wars universe. Too bad Lucas Arts gave them exclusives rights to use the license. A bit of competiion here would change the situation COMPLETELY.
  • TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Originally posted by Malickiebloo

But, heres my two cents.

. ALmost every game on the market sees facelifts everyday, In order to keep things fresh for their players . IF they are having major declines in subscriptions (losing more than they gain ) It is suiting they try and improve it and reach more peoples expectations .

What soe did was try and improve their game , Did they succeed ? That is dependant on opinion .  But that dose not mean other companys in the furture should not try and improve their products . Soe will still keep changing their game until it reaches what players want (not just vets but , players interested in a Star wars MMO in general  ) Or it will never see a finsihed state due to time constraints and funding .

What SOE did with SWG was far from a "facelift".  It was a completely different game after the NGE, with nothing left that appeals to many of the veteran players.  Those that stayed and really tried to give it a chance may have gotten used to the new game, but the changes were made with one clear goal - It was to get the World of Warcraft type of player to come over, not to make the game more "star warsy". 

I see changes to every single mmorpg out there, some big and some minor, but none can be compared to the total alteration of SWG

Originally posted by Malickiebloo

But, heres my two cents.

What SOE did with SWG was far from a "facelift".  It was a completely different game after the NGE, with nothing left that appeals to many of the veteran players.  Those that stayed and really tried to give it a chance may have gotten used to the new game, but the changes were made with one clear goal - It was to get the World of Warcraft type of player to come over, not to make the game more "star warsy". 

I see changes to every single mmorpg out there, some big and some minor, but none can be compared to the total alteration of SWG

I don't agree to the WOW conspiracy . I have played both games extensively . They are as different as an apple and an orange . If anything they used wow as a buisness model to follow . But still changes are changes massive or small . It is all in an attempt to improve their product .

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Agreed but the constant flaming of SOE in just about every SWG thread that opens here isn't necassary. The internet is a public place, anyone can say what they wanna say on their own dime, their own server. Sitting continually day after day tearing down anything anyone wants to discuss about their gameplay currently isn't necassary and that is my point and the reason why I think Stradden is right. It doesn't look good for MMORPG.COM and it certainly doesn't bring in positive additions to the community.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SagoSago Member Posts: 516

Originally posted by Stradden

Hi Guys,
    It seems as though there has been quite a bit of SOE hate recently, and it has gotten to the point where it is taking over the forums for SOE games. As a result, I am creating this sticky where people can vent their frustrations on this subject.
    Please do not continue to hijack other threads with this issue. Also, remember to have a look at our Rules of Conduct regarding what is ok to say and what is not.
    Cheers,
    Jon "Stradden" Wood, Community Manager

I may be wrong, and I appologize to Stradden ahead of time if I am, but the way I see it:

I think THIS thread, in combination with the RECENT influx of blatantly obvious $OE Developers trying to BS everyone about how GREAT this POS SWG is and how wonderful the $OE developers are at what they do, is HIGHLY suspect. They have obviously complained to management here at MMORPG.COM.

It would seem to me that the OVERWHELMING community here is anti $OE ans anti $LA. Because of this it should have been the proNGErs and pro$OE people that got the stickie. The fact that this has occured tells me that $OE has gotten to the management at MMORPG.COM. Things MUST be REALLY REALLY desperate over there at $OE.

If I am wrong that $OE isn't putting pressure on MMORPG.COM management, then $OE has managed to hurt our community here in these forums by their complaining about US .... the OVERWHELMING community.

To be honest, when I see these posts where people are asking about the game I usually do not reply - as to me it is a non issue if they play. But what I DO see is alot of people here telling those people that are inquiring about SWG to try it themselves and make their own decision.

I hope this isn't about keeping the anti $OE people quite by restricting what they say and where they can say it. Because if that were true word would eventually get out and it would have a negative impact on all the other forums as well as this site as a whole. This site is MUCH too valuable to me and others as a place to get other information on other games. If something like that would occur it would have a sever impact on where I can get credible information.

I would hope that the "hijacking" of posts will go both ways.

Sago Mactow
    Former SWG 2yr 7 month Vet
    6/26/03 - 1/26/06
    Jedi, Master Shipwright, Master Architect
    DFR Councilman
    Tarq Server

• MinimumMinimum Member UncommonPosts: 236

Originally posted by Lepidus

If you have a thoughtful discussion that does not involve death threats, then feel free to make new threads.

Ok, so if I only want to maim them a little, that's ok? (sorry, couldn't resist)
  • DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by Sago

I may be wrong, and I appologize to Stradden ahead of time if I am, but the way I see it:
    I think THIS thread, in combination with the RECENT influx of blatantly obvious $OE Developers trying to BS everyone about how GREAT this POS SWG is and how wonderful the $OE developers are at what they do, is HIGHLY suspect. They have obviously complained to management here at MMORPG.COM.

No one from SOE or LA has complained about anything.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Originally posted by Lepidus

The problem is that this story is old. We covered the NGE when it came out, we reviewed it and I wrote a quite clear editorial on what I thought of the issue. The problem is that these boards are unusable by anyone who may still want to play the game because anyone who says anything about the game other than "I hate SOE" is chased out the front door before their second post.

Ah, but what MMORPG game has caused such a long stand fury among its current and former customers?  This is clearly been a long term thing, and it is to that point, that makes it news worthy.

A lot of what you guys complain about is fair comment, but really, its been a few months and frankly you've voted with your dollars by canceling your accounts. This thread is here and should easily be a warning for anyone who

And, to the point that constructive posts are made, and veterans point out that SOE has done this in the past is still fair to point out.  SOE is a case study in history repeating itself.

comes by these boards to see what is up if they did not know. All we want is for all users to be able to discuss things in peace, you guys long ago stopped allowing that, not only on this board but every other SOE boards.

So, again, what is the root cause of this "not allowing for peace"?  Certainly,
    the fan base didn't make the changes that accelerated the demise of the game.  I fail to see why an analysis of this wouldn't make a good story.  Certainly, if I was in business school, it makes a great business test case.

On many of them, it's not even fair comment. Thus, to be fair across them all,

How do we determine what is fair or not fair to comment on?  Or prehaps, more precisely, who is determining what is fair and what measuring stick are they using?  Where is that stick published (and lets face it, the TOS is only a reference for behavior, not a measure of fairness)....

we started a thread of this nature. If there are any new developments that cause you to hate SOE more, feel free to discuss them outside this thread. All we ask is that if you want to rant about how much you hate SOE, do it here. If you have a thoughtful discussion that does not involve death threats, then feel free to make new threads. Just end the hijacking of every thread and

I really hope your are not condoning any death threats on this thread or any other.  On that point, I personally would have edited John Smedley's comments about visting Texas as being inappropriate and not helpful.  That kind of behavior is never warrented and completely inappropriate.

I would also aggree that the name calling has gotten a little overboard.  But poeple who defend a practice with with faulty logic or make comments without being able to support then do deserve the criticism they get -- so long as the criticism is civil regardless if it is "negative" or "postive".

respect the original poster's desire to talk about whatever they wanted to talk about.

I hope that hijacking a threat doesn't mean that commenting *constructive* that SOE has done this before that the outcome was poor kind of posts is not what you are targeting.  And example of what I am talking about is stating that the population of SWG is growing without providing real data.  To date, for example, John Smedley has stated that it isn't.  The merging with the SOE station pass is cearly a sign that one can resaonable infer means the game isn't growing.  And the fact they have reduced and consolidate staffing levels for SOE is certainly a sign that SOE isn't investing much into the game anymore.  I hope when such things are pointed (again as an example) to opptomistic threads, that that won't be considered an attempt to hijack a thread.

Overall, I appreciate that MMORPG seems to be trying to  constructive to the population that vists the Star Wars Galaxy forum, and SOE forums in general.  However, I am not clear this thread will have the desired effect other than the one point you made "It will be a warning to people as to what is going on".  I think both pro and anti SWGers will continue until the servers are shutdown.  The anti-SWGers, in particular, unless they feel vindicated, are unlikely to back down.  As to my original point, though, I still think there is a new story here because fustration still continues and continues in multiple boards over what SOE did to its player base which goes beyond voting with the dollars....
  • XcathdraXcathdra Member CommonPosts: 1,027

With SOE or MMORPG?

SOE

Kinda... You can file a complaint with the BBB out of California since that is where Sony's Corp office is located. They have a file, but they will not file lawsuits on individuals behalfs (so the letter I got stated).

Xcathdra

Having access to a billion $ IP - Billions of dollars..
    Having access to a massive fan base of said IP - Even more Billons...
    Singly handedly alienating them due to stupidity - Priceless.

This discussion has been closed.