Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sun: E3 2006 Preview

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Soul of the Ultimate Nation (or SUN), is an MMORPG in development by Korean giants Webzen. The game offers stunning visuals and at E3, Danielle Vanderlip was able to talk to the folks making it.

image At E3, I got to take a little time and get hands on with the game I had heard so much about. Our gracious host was Chris “Vosx” Mancil who worked formerly on the Matrix Online and Shadowbane and is now the Senior Manager of Online Community with Webzen. His own enthusiasm was easily read for something he had long been waiting to show to the public.

First blush and I couldn’t take my eyes off the game. Let’s face it, it’s truly a moving piece of artwork. I don’t normally go gaga for graphics but in the case of SUN it made me want to take the time to play it some and see it up close and personal. On screen it was high detail and crisp all the way down to the last pixel. The movies playing on screen were impressive as well but nothing beats taking a look at the game itself instead of just the prefab movies created to make the game look as good as possible.

You can read more here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Classic Korean grind or... ?

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...
  • SachantSachant Member Posts: 18
    It wasn't made clear.  Their inference from their product sheets seems to imply it will be a bit of a combination of Guild Wars and traditional RPG/leveling grind.  I'd tend to lean toward traditional Korean grind to be safe but at the same time I think they realize that Americans aren't in general as excited about grind as others might be.

• I wonder what the beta as announced here for the 15th is referring to then http://www.webzengames.com/pr/prView.asp?cPage=1&PrsIdx=18 ? Was this just the beta for Korea?

Oh well... the usually development delays I suppose... it's just a little odd, because they made that statement just a few weeks before the 15th, as if they wouldn't have known whether it would be delayed or not by then?

• chatainsimchatainsim Member Posts: 4
    it's seam to be beautiful ;)

• SachantSachant Member Posts: 18
    Yes, that's the Korean beta date not the US date from what I was told.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I agree with the author that this game is beautiful. I would really like to play it, but I won't until someone tells me if it has many of the hallmarks of other Asian-made games (these things exist in other games, of course, but not to the same degree):

Massive grind;

Limited variety of content;

Goldfarmers and bots control the servers;

Exploits galore;

PvP gankfest.

If webzen is doing a good job of avoiding these pitfalls, I would love to hear about it and would seriouely consider playing the game.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

Mind blowingly beautiful.

You have to hand it to the Koreans (and perhaps the Asians in general) for the style they put in thier games.   I was really impressed with Lineage 2, the graphics and the game play.  

• plateau01plateau01 Member Posts: 86

The graphics looks good but frankly it's cookie cutter stuff. All the korean MMO's have this cheesy, impractical, amine-ish look which just bores me to tears. Fightin an ice golem in stillettos? Gimme a break.

Definitely not for me.