Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizons: Flying Cargo Disk Screens

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
Dragons in Horizons have been having some problems dragging their crafting loot back to their lairs. Thus, Tulga is adding flying cargo disks. Here are two shots straight from the test server. The red disk is for the Lunus, while the blue is for the Helian.

image image

Thanks to Tulga for sending these over.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848
    OMG, that's so awesome!...LOL 

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• vernesvernes Member UncommonPosts: 79

no, it's not.

It's just another step down the path of degradation of the original game-design.

Perticular the dragons, you DO remember the original concept for the dragons right?

Start as big as a dog, grow to a size MUCH bigger then now, a lair with a HORDE where you kept gold people COULD steal. Lifting of other creatures (dropping was optional).

And now they have a mule, a MULE!

It's the same as Jedi's in swg, it was rare to be selected to be a jedi, now it's rule of the thumb.

• HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by vernes
    And now they have a mule, a MULE!

That was my first tought too... A dragon with a mule? Huh?
  • KlausWKlausW Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by vernes

It's just another step down the path of degradation of the original game-design.
    Perticular the dragons, you DO remember the original concept for the dragons right?

The original game design had a lot of good, bad, and just plain stupid concepts. You seem to be in the same mindset: a dragon is something to be killed & looted, not another player with the same kind of wants & needs you have. In this case, as a practical reality, dragons do in fact need a mule. A flying one, to be precise. Dragons want to build their lairs, but it's hard to get resources to a flight-accessed lair using a non-flying cargo disk, which is what dragons have now.

Guildleader, Mithril Council, Chaos

Originally posted by KlausW

The original game design had a lot of good, bad, and just plain stupid concepts. You seem to be in the same mindset: a dragon is something to be killed & looted, not another player with the same kind of wants & needs you have. In this case, as a practical reality, dragons do in fact need a mule. A flying one, to be precise. Dragons want to build their lairs, but it's hard to get resources to a flight-accessed lair using a non-flying cargo disk, which is what dragons have now.

This ticks me off, but I'll take the time to point out your error of judgement. I speak out from the perspective of the dragon PLAYER, not the dragon killer. I am the type of player who actually enjoys playing the lesser side, the side with unique abilities in exchange of horrible disadvantages.

In games, I'm the little engineer who's alone in the base repairing all the turrets and placing mines. Because sooner or later the fight will come back to that base. Or I'm scrounching the city's trashcans looking for resources to build weapons which I pass on to guildmates. I actually enjoyed 'a tale in the dessert' - beta.

Your assumtion that I wish for cripled dragons so I can slay them, is wrong and frustrating. A dragon in the classical sense, either carries stuff in it's claws (2 front, or all 4) or if it concerns large amount of coins, in its mouth.

I hope I managed to explain my point of view without biting too much of your head off.

In that case, I apologize, and withdraw the statement regarding your intentions.

You're quite correct regarding dragons in the classic sense; such dragons normally are loners who claim a structure such as a castle or dwarven city or whatever and make that their lair. Dragons in Horizons don't do that. They are a social race that builds and lives in cities. They plan and construct homes. Building a lair is an insanly complex task and consumes huge amounts of resources. Carrying those resources is very very difficult without assitance, which is where the cargo disks come in.

No, it's not the 'classic' view of dragon. Nor are the Pern books, the dragon in 'Shrek', or Shadowrun's Dunkelzhan.

Point well taken, with the current features and abilities bestowed on dragons, large amount of items are needed.

It just looks really really dumb.

*can imagine the dragon pointing at the disk and saying "I'll call it... mini-me"*

It's not a design I would have gone with, but at least it's not saddlebags or a travois hanging off your rump...

• Nomad40Nomad40 Member Posts: 76
    The stealing of loot should be accompanied by a tracking ability for dragons to find the players who stole their booty and fry them. :)