Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Wins Prestigious "Worst MMO Business Model Of 2017" Award

Comments

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    "more than an MMO" sounds like a game with more than 10 players at once in an instance though. But I suppose when they're done refactoring the pipelines, Star Marine will eclipse Planetside2.
    What if we take the position that MMO's are useless soulless games with 'dungeon finders' and stuff where you only ever see about 5 new people every hour? 
    You have a right to your beliefs.  At least 591 people out of 945 people had a different position on SC's categorization, though (and we don't know the position of the remaining 454 on that matter), as did most people in this thread besides the usual suspects.  Well, not everyone has the same position on things.  C'est la vie.
    Sure but I think it was pretty well established that it was only a popularity contest based on hate for successful crowdfunding. 
    It's only well-established to you, Erillion, MaxBacon, and that small minority of Star Citizen white knights still remaining.  I know this might be hard to realize, but not everyone shares your feelings.
    No, it was many neutrals and even some hard anti-SC fans also and the reason for that is because it is pretty obvious, there isn't really much of a case against it (or should I say there isn't another reason to explain why it is high when you compare it to others on the list) but this ground has been beaten already. 
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Orinori said:
    Erillion said:
    If you want to do some math and the old Turbulent numbers from 2016 are still valid (35%ish of Star Citizens are paying backers), the current number of paying backers could be around 680.000.

Have fun
    You have any better source for this figure besides one murph gave?
    No, it all comes from that interview. And from the translation of that interview. Then several articles refer to that translation and interview. Most people only quote from those articles.

No one really knows for sure the number of paying backers at the moment.

I personally like to use the conservative estimate of about one third of the Star Citizens being paying backers. But it is only my personal guestimate.

Have fun
    I think you need to private message Ori so you 2 can get on the same page cause as it stands now you have to defend the game from us "haters" but also now have to defend figures that have been accepted for a while from him lol.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    "more than an MMO" sounds like a game with more than 10 players at once in an instance though. But I suppose when they're done refactoring the pipelines, Star Marine will eclipse Planetside2.
    What if we take the position that MMO's are useless soulless games with 'dungeon finders' and stuff where you only ever see about 5 new people every hour? 
    You have a right to your beliefs.  At least 591 people out of 945 people had a different position on SC's categorization, though (and we don't know the position of the remaining 454 on that matter), as did most people in this thread besides the usual suspects.  Well, not everyone has the same position on things.  C'est la vie.
    Sure but I think it was pretty well established that it was only a popularity contest based on hate for successful crowdfunding. 
    It's only well-established to you, Erillion, MaxBacon, and that small minority of Star Citizen white knights still remaining.  I know this might be hard to realize, but not everyone shares your feelings.
    No, it was many neutrals and even some hard anti-SC fans also and the reason for that is because it is pretty obvious, there isn't really much of a case against it. 
    Define "many".   And clearly there is a case against it or this topic would be done by now.
    MaxBacon
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Orinori said:
    Erillion said:
    If you want to do some math and the old Turbulent numbers from 2016 are still valid (35%ish of Star Citizens are paying backers), the current number of paying backers could be around 680.000.

Have fun
    You have any better source for this figure besides one murph gave?
    No, it all comes from that interview. And from the translation of that interview. Then several articles refer to that translation and interview. Most people only quote from those articles.

No one really knows for sure the number of paying backers at the moment.

I personally like to use the conservative estimate of about one third of the Star Citizens being paying backers. But it is only my personal guestimate.

Have fun
    I think you need to private message Ori so you 2 can get on the same page cause as it stands now you have to defend the game from us "haters" but also now have to defend figures that have been accepted for a while from him lol.
    I am on my own wave length thank you very much. My guestimate is 99.9% of Star Citizens are backers!
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    No, it was many neutrals and even some hard anti-SC fans also and the reason for that is because it is pretty obvious, there isn't really much of a case against it. 
    Define "many".   And clearly there is a case against it or this topic would be done by now.
    The topic is done >.> most posters have been talking random stuff for ages. Look, when neutrals and even anti SC fans start backing the theory you know there isn't much else place left to go! (I can't even make sense of that ending when I read it, I'm going to bed :P )
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    The topic is done >.> most posters have been talking random stuff for ages. Look, when neutrals and even anti SC fans start backing the theory you know there isn't much else place left to go! (I can't even make sense of that ending when I read it, I'm going to bed :P )
    Neutrals and anti-SC fans aren't one singular hive-mind.  So I guess you can't define "many" then.  Well, you're right on one count at least that there isn't "much else place left to go" now.
    MaxBacon
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    They're laughing all the way to the bank.......I doubt they ever launch because it is profittable in alpha.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Worst business model?  Isn't the point of business to make money.  I'd say they did pretty damn good.  They sell ships...A lot of ships...for a thousand bucks.  They broke every crowdfunding record and Chris Roberts has made a shit ton of money.   I think if you wanna look at bad business you need to look at TRION.
    Kyleran

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Daranar said:
    Worst business model?  Isn't the point of business to make money.  I'd say they did pretty damn good.  They sell ships...A lot of ships...for a thousand bucks.  They broke every crowdfunding record and Chris Roberts has made a shit ton of money.   I think if you wanna look at bad business you need to look at TRION.
    That completely depends on the perspective you look at it from.

Sure as a business it's great they made tons of money.

As a customer you have an unfinished game and some .jpgs to stare at.

Personally I love the idea behind it but I'll only pay for a finished product. I'm waiting to see how bad the cash shop will be after official release. If/when they make it that far...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited December 2017
    Daranar said:
    Star Citizen is about to potentially be sued into oblivion because they possibly welched on their business contract.  None of the other games on the list are so yea, that would turn out to be a pretty bad business model if that ends up happening.
    MaxBacon
  • RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Tiamat64 said:
    Daranar said:
    Star Citizen is about to potentially be sued into oblivion because they possibly welched on their business contract.  None of the other games on the list are so yea, that would turn out to be a pretty bad business model if that ends up happening.
    They're also potentially about to counter sue and make out with more money than they had before Crytek attempted to sue them. Given Crytek is a desperate company about to go bankrupt, it really sounds like they're just flinging shit against the wall to see what sticks.
    Daranar
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2017
    Rouzuki said:
    They're also potentially about to counter sue and make out with more money than they had before Crytek attempted to sue them. Given Crytek is a desperate company about to go bankrupt, it really sounds like they're just flinging shit against the wall to see what sticks.
    Don't say any opinion that is not a negative scenario for SC/CIG on this sort of situations that's pretty much heresy here, anyway in b4 reply explaining the super duper amazing reputation of the lawyer firm that only take cases they win. As he puts it: "CiG's going to be a dried husk of a corpse long before Crytek has even broken a sweat."

So as that confirms the sky is falling, we should all be panicking in fear now I guess.
    edited December 2017
    Rouzuki said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Daranar said:
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55627/crytek-receive-500m-investment-turkish-gov/index.html

500 million, almost three times as much as Star Citizen's 173 million, and that was less than a year ago (as opposed to Star Citizen who's been paying bills versus that 170 million for the past half decade).  Crytek is not "about to go bankrupt".  You can't afford the prices of one of the most prestigious law firms in America if you're about to go bankrupt.

And using CiG's hilariously incompetent and unprofessional press-release reply as an argument is just sad.  They only said that to appease the gullible backers' concerns, though they admittingly appear to be rather successful on that front.  It's already dumb enough an idea that Skadden (who values their reputation or else they wouldn't be rated where they are today) takes meritless cases but to think they'd take one where it's so easy to counter sue them?  The delusion of Star Citizen white knights is unreal.
    MaxBacon
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Tiamat64 said:
    Rouzuki said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Daranar said:
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55627/crytek-receive-500m-investment-turkish-gov/index.html

500 million, almost three times as much as Star Citizen's 173 million, and that was less than a year ago (as opposed to Star Citizen who's been paying bills versus that 170 million for the past half decade).  Crytek is not "about to go bankrupt".  You can't afford the prices of one of the most prestigious law firms in America if you're about to go bankrupt.

And using CiG's hilariously incompetent and unprofessional press-release reply as an argument is just sad.  They only said that to appease the gullible backers' concerns, though they admittingly appear to be rather successful on that front.  It's already dumb enough an idea that Skadden (who values their reputation or else they wouldn't be rated where they are today) takes meritless cases but to think they'd take one where it's so easy to counter sue them?  The delusion of Star Citizen white knights is unreal.

Don't forget the press release that CIG issued was rather hilarious in itself. Crytek alleges that CIG had an exclusivity contract and CIG goes and says they haven't used cryengine since they switched to lumberyard. If that clause exists in the GLA and I were Skadden I'd be sending whoever wrote that statement a thank you basket.
    edited December 2017
    Kefo said:

Don't forget the press release that CIG issued was rather hilarious in itself. Crytek alleges that CIG had an exclusivity contract and CIG goes and says they haven't used cryengine since they switched to lumberyard. If that clause exists in the GLA and I were Skadden I'd be sending whoever wrote that statement a thank you basket.
    Yea, if the clause didn't exist, you'd think they would have said that instead of just reaffirm that they broke it.

Like I said, it's only a possibility and not confirmed, but maybe someday we'll see that Star Citizen's "Business model" is built on breaking contractual business agreements (or worse).  Totally awesome business model there.
    MaxBacon
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Nilden said:
    Image result for bubbles face
    This is a picture of bubbles right before becoming the Green Bastard!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited December 2017
    bartoni33 said:
    Shodanas said:
    bartoni33 said:

TOR obviously wins any worst MMO business model. As it really did in this poll.
    Can you elaborate on this ?

I am a subscriber since release and to this day 6 years later haven't spend a dime of real money on the game. In fact as i write this is have almost 17K cartel points and nothing to spend them on.

As a freeloader you get to play 8 class stories which translates in more than 300 hours of content.

I'm tired of saying this to people: you like the game you subscribe. You don't like the game you sod off and go find something you like. You like the game and can't afford the monthly sub ? Then you have bigger problems and you should attend to them. Or you pay 5 bucks to become preferred which gives you some QoL amenities. And you shut your mouth because beggars can't be choosers.
    Yep I sodded off. So have millions. Enjoy your dying game.

BTW ANY game that puts loot you pulled off a NPC you killed behind a paywall to use is cancer. Pure cancer.
    Some of the restrictions aren't very well thought out.  But honestly, I have never had any issues because when I play I always sub.  Having a sub drops all restrictions.  Honestly, I think it's a good system.  If you don't want to pay, you still can play with some restrictions.  If you want to play for real, you sub.  Never understand why people are so scared to pay $15 a month.
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    It's only well-established to you, Erillion, MaxBacon, and that small minority of Star Citizen white knights still remaining.  I know this might be hard to realize, but not everyone shares your feelings. ... The delusion of Star Citizen white knights is unreal. 
    Well-established naysaying propaganda operation. The fight to make sure the only thing that is posted on this forum is negativity endures. Some get bothered when can't get to do the negative spin on everything without being countered on it. Self-righteous biased narratives rule. Some constantly throw baity and even passive-agressive remarks while talking about "white knights", but dare me ever use the word hater here, that'd be a scandal.
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    It's only well-established to you, Erillion, MaxBacon, and that small minority of Star Citizen white knights still remaining.  I know this might be hard to realize, but not everyone shares your feelings. ... The delusion of Star Citizen white knights is unreal. 
    Well-established naysaying propaganda operation. The fight to make sure the only thing that is posted on this forum is negativity endures. Some get bothered when can't get to do the negative spin on everything without being countered on it. Self-righteous biased narratives rule. Some constantly throw baity and even passive-agressive remarks while talking about "white knights", but dare me ever use the word hater here, that'd be a scandal.
    Don't look at me.  You're the one who always insists on getting the last word in these pointless "I know you are, but what am I?" arguments.  In several other threads I stopped replying to you and yet you continued with this roundabout argument (in addition to being the one to initiate it, like you just did here), which shows who's REALLY the one that can't stand being countered on things.  Oh well, that's how it goes (and has been going for years.  Thank goodness it's all going to stop soon, finally)
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Don't look at me.  You're the one who always insists on getting the last word in these pointless "I know you are, but what am I?" arguments.  In several other threads I stopped replying to you and yet you continued with this roundabout argument, which shows who's REALLY the one that can't stand being countered on things.  Oh well, that's how it goes (and has been going for years.  Thank goodness it's all going to stop soon, finally)
    Yet you keep responding. I don't think you even slept properly the last days it has been day and night posting, seems rather obsessive tbh. But wait, is SC releasing soon? That's great :)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Don't look at me.  You're the one who always insists on getting the last word in these pointless "I know you are, but what am I?" arguments.  In several other threads I stopped replying to you and yet you continued with this roundabout argument, which shows who's REALLY the one that can't stand being countered on things.  Oh well, that's how it goes (and has been going for years.  Thank goodness it's all going to stop soon, finally)
    "Yet you keep responding. I don't think you even slept properly the last days it has been day and night posting, seems rather obsessive tbh. But wait, is SC releasing soon? That's great :)"

Max, please never accuse another poster of posting obsessively. It looks ridiculous.
    MaxBaconKefo
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Yet you keep responding. I don't think you even slept properly the last days it has been day and night posting, seems rather obsessive tbh. But wait, is SC releasing soon? That's great :)

As I stated before, I stopped responding to your "copy and paste the other person's arguments and then throw it back at them" trash in many other threads, where the last person to continue this silly childish tantrum was you.  Prove me wrong by not responding to me here and not insisting on getting your little last laugh, thinking that it makes you the victor just because you were the last one to say something.
    Max, please never accuse another poster of posting obsessively. It looks ridiculous.
    Several others, way more than me these past days. But still, at least can obsess about something I am fan of and enjoy, I think of it more healthy than obsessing with hating/naysaying something.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    MaxBacon said:
    Several others, way more than me these past days. But still, at least can obsess about something I am fan of and enjoy, I think of it more healthy than obsessing with hating/naysaying something.
    I don't really care what you think is healthier, you are accusing another poster of posting obsessively.
    edited December 2017
    I don't really care what you think is healthier, you are accusing another poster of posting obsessively.
    Yes. I commented, not accused, it's not a crime.