Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Wins Prestigious "Worst MMO Business Model Of 2017" Award

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Tiamat64 said:
    Don't need to log onto Star Citizen Alpha
    I rest my case.

Have fun
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Erillion said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    *cheap pathetic cut-off edit by Erillion to try to make him seem awesome*
    I rest my case.

Have fun
    Don't need to log onto Star Citizen Alpha to look at streams where frame rate falls apart.

I'll rest my case on that.
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    That is a slow period before sale as is often seen, can be much higher as you know and also...as you know making this whole paragraph pretty useless.
    It might be higher but if there's a sale on then existing backers are buying ships which skews the numbers dramatically.

Orinori said:
    Wasn't it around 600,000? and not sure were you are getting /45 from. If those are as I suspect completely inaccurate it would wildly throw out your figures? seemed pointless to follow you further. I think if you want me to go with this thing you need to be far more accurate.

where on earth are starter ships and 75% / 25% splits coming from?!?

your figures seem pretty inventive to say the least.
    No, it was definitely 500,000 https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4sifhi/interview_with_turbulent_and_some_backers_figures/

45 is the number of months from the kickstarter until July 2016 when the 500,000 figure was announced, thus 500,000 / 45 = 11,111 per month on average.

Starter ships are Aurora and Mustang variants....

75%/25% split is to represent your majority only buying single ships....

My figures are far less inventive than claiming the majority of funds come from new backers buying a single ship :)
    I just went to that link, there is nothing at all in that video Interview about how many backers have pledged. This was an absurdly rounded number with no source stated in the article column itself written by random person of Numa Media? The actual quotes of Benjamin Fardel say nothing at all about this (and nothing in the video). So why on earth are people using this as an official figure?! and one that I have even heard before, this is totally bizarre. Sorry but this figure presented from that link is useless.

I checked 45, at least this was correct.

I didn't ask what a starter ship was, I was asking why you have attributed 75% to starter ships. I have mentioned single ships. First you pluck a percentage out of *** then attribute it to starter ships only by using $60 amount which was not what was claimed when the correct figure to use is for a single ship, a figure you can not possibly know.

Your figures are wild, inventive and mostly inaccurate.

Try a simpler one -

1892 new Citizens giving

$127,659

an average of $67 between them over the last 3 days.

Seems pretty simple.

(and this isn't even trying to state that the average is 100%, it is just that you can start to make reasonable assumptions from here.)

Post edited by Orinori on
    rpmcmurphy
    Erillion said:
    If you want to do some math and the old Turbulent numbers from 2016 are still valid (35%ish of Star Citizens are paying backers), the current number of paying backers could be around 680.000.

Have fun
    You have any better source for this figure besides one murph gave?
    Orinori said:
    Erillion said:
    If you want to do some math and the old Turbulent numbers from 2016 are still valid (35%ish of Star Citizens are paying backers), the current number of paying backers could be around 680.000.

Have fun
    No, it all comes from that interview. And from the translation of that interview. Then several articles refer to that translation and interview. Most people only quote from those articles.

No one really knows for sure the number of paying backers at the moment.

I personally like to use the conservative estimate of about one third of the Star Citizens being paying backers. But it is only my personal guestimate.

Have fun
    edited December 2017
    Erillion said:
    Orinori said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    No, it all comes from that interview. And from the translation of that interview. Then several articles refer to that translation and interview. Most people only quote from those articles.

No one really knows for sure the number of paying backers at the moment.

I personally like to use the conservative estimate of about one third of the Star Citizens being paying backers. But it is only my personal guestimate.

Have fun
    yeah, we didn't hear any figures in the video. even if there were.......good lord this is no source to be doing math from!

I am with you, we might as well all just make personal guestimates.

Mine will be 99.9% of star citizens are backers!
    Post edited by Orinori on
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    hfztt said:
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:
    "It's not an mmo": 8k+ posts later in a forum of a site dedicated to mmos talking about an article in a site dedicated to mmos :D

This website has gone beyond MMOs about a decade ago.

Welcome to NOW.

Have fun
    Is it Massive? Yes
    Is it Multiplayer? Yes
    Is it Online? Yes

Is it an MMO? NOPE!

Yeah, that totally makes sense...
    Even if it met all these criteria, this is not the correct definition of "MMO". People loved to do the same thing when Elite Dangerous was in development to prove it was a MMO (which, a few years after release, I think we can safely say it definitively is not): lay out the three first letters of the abbreviation MMORPG and check them off like boxes.

This is incorrect. It's Massively Multiplayer, not Massive + Multiplayer.  Massively is an adverb, which modifies the adjective Multiplayer.  You can't separate those two without completely changing the meaning of the term as originally coined.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited December 2017
    hfztt said:
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:
    "It's not an mmo": 8k+ posts later in a forum of a site dedicated to mmos talking about an article in a site dedicated to mmos :D

This website has gone beyond MMOs about a decade ago.

Welcome to NOW.

Have fun
    Is it Massive? Yes
    Is it Multiplayer? Yes
    Is it Online? Yes

Is it an MMO? NOPE!

Yeah, that totally makes sense...
    Even if it met all these criteria, this is not the correct definition of "MMO". People loved to do the same thing when Elite Dangerous was in development to prove it was a MMO (which, a few years after release, I think we can safely say it definitively is not): lay out the three first letters of the abbreviation MMORPG and check them off like boxes.

This is incorrect. It's Massively Multiplayer, not Massive + Multiplayer.  Massively is an adverb, which modifies the adjective Multiplayer.  You can't separate those two without completely changing the meaning of the term as originally coined.

Star Citizen's own website calls it an MMO (well, they call it an MMO in some areas of the website, and call it "More than an MMO" in others).   But.... you can't really trust what CiG says, admittingly.
    Tiamat64 said:

Star Citizen's own website calls it an MMO
    Exact links and quotes please.

Have fun
    edited December 2017
    Erillion said:
    Tiamat64 said:

Have fun

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/spaceflight

"More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO"

Although upon further inspection, all the other times I saw the game referred to as an MMO on the website were in fact citizen spotlights and thus not the website's own words.   Oh well, one example from the website is good enough for me and the average person anyways (it certainly was good enough for all those people in the citizen spotlights who called it an MMO, and for Amazon to classify it as an MMO on their products page), even if it might not be for certain other people.
    Tiamat64 said:
    Erillion said:
    Tiamat64 said:

Have fun

"More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO"

Although upon further inspection, all the other times I saw the game referred to as an MMO on the website were in fact citizen spotlights and thus not the website's own words.   Oh well, one example from the website is good enough for me and the average person anyways (it certainly was good enough for all those people in the citizen spotlights who called it an MMO, and for Amazon to classify it as an MMO on their products page), even if it might not be for certain other people.
    But this example says 'more' than an MMO, not an MMO.
    Erillion
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Erillion said:
    Tiamat64 said:

Have fun

That means it is an mmo and goes beyond a simple mmo.

For instance, you don't say a fighting game is more than an RPG. YOu would say, Fighting game X is more than a fighting game. Meaning, it goes beyond that.

edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:

>>> Star Citizen's own website calls it an MMO  >>>

Thank you for proving my point.

Have fun

edited December 2017
    Yeesh, Star Citizen fans are just like Chris Roberts himself and CiG.  It's hard to tell if they're pretending to be like that, or really ARE like that. 
    OrinoriMaxBacon
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    "more than one mmo"

More is just marketing, it is one, originally it was not really because the game weighted more on things like private servers and even playing alone if you wanted to, but right now their direction is what you call the MMO-like game, the online PU.

edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Erillion said:
    Tiamat64 said:

Have fun

That means it is an mmo and goes beyond a simple mmo.

For instance, you don't say a fighting game is more than an RPG. YOu would say, Fighting game X is more than a fighting game. Meaning, it goes beyond that.
    so not just a simple fighter? it is more than just a fighter, you can't call it a fighter because it is more than that, it is more complex or perhaps more nuanced, intricate and sophisticated like maybe a command and conquer or something.  But to be clear, it is not a fighter, it is more.

'more' than an MMO, not an MMO
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    "more than an MMO" sounds like a game with more than 10 players at once in an instance though. But I suppose when they're done refactoring the pipelines, Star Marine will eclipse Planetside2.
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    So many pathetic souls on here. lol
    "more than an MMO" sounds like a game with more than 10 players at once in an instance though. But I suppose when they're done refactoring the pipelines, Star Marine will eclipse Planetside2.
    What if we take the position that MMO's are useless soulless games with 'dungeon finders' and stuff where you only ever see about 5 new people every hour? 
    bwwianakiev
    edited December 2017
    So many pathetic souls on here. lol
    Hey, I felt that! 
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    What if we take the position that MMO's are useless soulless games with 'dungeon finders' and stuff where you only ever see about 5 new people every hour? 
    You have a right to your beliefs.  At least 591 people out of 945 people had a different position on SC's categorization, though (and we don't know the position of the remaining 454 on that matter), as did most people in this thread besides the usual suspects.  Well, not everyone has the same position on things.  C'est la vie.
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    You have a right to your beliefs.  At least 591 people out of 945 people had a different position on SC's categorization, though (and we don't know the position of the remaining 454 on that matter), as did most people in this thread besides the usual suspects.  Well, not everyone has the same position on things.  C'est la vie.
    Sure but I think it was pretty well established that it was only a popularity contest based on hate for successful crowdfunding. Poll could have said what game most resembles a pizza dropped on floor (anything that hints at a derogatory vibe) with Star Citizen on the list and you can be sure it would have won by a mile! Fans won't vote for it, but there sure are a lot of haters of successful crowdfunding!
    Kyleran
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Kyleran said:
    An odd poll result as that "worst" Business model has generated $173M to date of money willingly given by its suppoerters.

It's almost a religion at this point...but I'd have to call out SOtA, COE or ArcheAge as far more deserving.

I think the hate (or envy at least) drives much of this..

True, but on the other hand, they also aren't making any profits. All that money is going into the game's creation and all the costs connected to that. Conspiracy theories not withstanding of course. And there's always the looming threat of the whole thing falling apart if the game isn't in a state to stand on its own and start earning money by the time people stop buying the ships. Not to mention backers growing impatient and pulling chargebacks like the $25k guy recently. In light of that, I'd say their longterm business plan is far from the most solid out there.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited December 2017
    Azaron_Nightblade said:
    True, but on the other hand, they also aren't making any profits. All that money is going into the game's creation and all the costs connected to that. Conspiracy theories not withstanding of course. And there's always the looming threat of the whole thing falling apart if the game isn't in a state to stand on its own and start earning money by the time people stop buying the ships. Not to mention backers growing impatient and pulling chargebacks like the $25k guy recently. In light of that, I'd say their longterm business plan is far from the most solid out there.
    I have to point this out every now and again as it seems to evade a lot of people. They have $173,000,000 free of condition.......given for development, no one is asking for interest and money paid back in full. A triple A quality game 5 years into development with 400 staff and no debt on development at all. They have many avenues open to them to secure funding if they absolutely had to, but they could probably just reduce amount of staff and push well past 2 two years of further development if they started to have issues. In that time they could easily push out SQ42 and boost funds significantly. There are no issues regarding finance. Have not been for a very long time.

p.s that 25k is about half a days funding (even less), it's just nothing to CIG, chargebacks are not an issue to CIG for the small percent that do, even with monster screwed up whales like that guy.
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    Sure but I think it was pretty well established that it was only a popularity contest based on hate for successful crowdfunding. 
    It's only well-established to you, Erillion, MaxBacon, and that small minority of Star Citizen white knights still remaining.  I know this might be hard to realize, but not everyone shares your feelings.
    MaxBaconKyleran