Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Wins Prestigious "Worst MMO Business Model Of 2017" Award

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Everyone hates those at the top when they are not.
    Phaserlightkikoodutroa8
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Horusra said:
    If that were true WoW would have won the worst MMO business model.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Tiamat64 said:
    Horusra said:

I said "those" as in "one of a group"...not "the" as in "singular" or "only"
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Shodanas said:
    bartoni33 said:

TOR obviously wins any worst MMO business model. As it really did in this poll.
    Can you elaborate on this ?

I am a subscriber since release and to this day 6 years later haven't spend a dime of real money on the game. In fact as i write this is have almost 17K cartel points and nothing to spend them on.

As a freeloader you get to play 8 class stories which translates in more than 300 hours of content.

I'm tired of saying this to people: you like the game you subscribe. You don't like the game you sod off and go find something you like. You like the game and can't afford the monthly sub ? Then you have bigger problems and you should attend to them. Or you pay 5 bucks to become preferred which gives you some QoL amenities. And you shut your mouth because beggars can't be choosers.
    Yep I sodded off. So have millions. Enjoy your dying game.

BTW ANY game that puts loot you pulled off a NPC you killed behind a paywall to use is cancer. Pure cancer.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Actually what they call the game is a deflection from the topic of how well it's managed.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Horusra said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Horusra said:

I said "those" as in "one of a group"...not "the" as in "singular" or "only"
    Plenty of things come to mind when considering Star Citizen. Envy is not one of them, and WoW is a great game. 

Calling it a "business model" is kind of a stretch... stopgap measure might have been the phrase I'd have gone for.

Anyway, does massivelyop's opinion even matter? To put it bluntly, their readership has been dwindling for years due in part to the editors' seeming efforts to turn their articles into echo chambers circa 2014. This is just a sensational attempt to remain relevant.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited December 2017
    Actually what they call the game is a deflection from the topic of how well it's managed.
    I think anything critical said about the game, CR, the management, or anything remotely connected to the game in general gets deflected to the point of absurdism.

And its a shame, some of the guys that used to be just enthousiastic and knowledgeable about the game will now tear any thread to shreds with petty semantics and specific links that strengthen their views while ignoring all others. The most devout know SC better then CR does. Hell, they know CR better then CR does. And with all that, critical thinking went out of the window and proper discussions were made impossible. If I buy SC in the future (and I very well might) it will be despite its zealots, not because of them. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    PhaserlightOrinoriMrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I'm just enjoying that "smart" people gave this much money to this "so called gonna come out" game.Well they can MAYBE play it in 10 years or so.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited December 2017
    Wish you would have put "by MOP" in the title so I could have avoided clicking on this thread.
    OrinoriMrMelGibson
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    I'm just enjoying that "smart" people gave this much money to this "so called gonna come out" game.Well they can MAYBE play it in 10 years or so.
    you can play it now, what are you talking about?
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    SC brought a new class to the genre: The Gymnast-Knight!
    FrodoFraginsPigozzMrMelGibson
    edited December 2017
    lahnmir said:
    I think anything critical said about the game, CR, the management, or anything remotely connected to the game in general gets deflected to the point of absurdism.

And its a shame, some of the guys that used to be just enthousiastic and knowledgeable about the game will now tear any thread to shreds with petty semantics and specific links that strengthen their views while ignoring all others. The most devout know SC better then CR does. Hell, they know CR better then CR does. And with all that, critical thinking went out of the window and proper discussions were made impossible. If I buy SC in the future (and I very well might) it will be despite its zealots, not because of them. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think you must be mistaking this with a forum where proper discussions are on offer to have. There are plenty of informative posts here for Star Citizen, you won't find much discussion in those, plenty of in game footage and amazing pics, you won't see much talked about in there. Then there are lots of useless posts like the OP's that have only one goal in mind, defame and ridicule, you will find LOTS of posts in those by the same 10 people!

Tell me what it is you would like to talk about surrounding this insightful OP? what can we engage in to further our depth and breadth of knowledge and enlightenment?

Or we could just post soppy drivel grandstanding about nothing in particular while casting insults, I don't mind which.
    rpmcmurphy
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    bartoni33 said:
    Shodanas said:
    bartoni33 said:

I am a subscriber since release and to this day 6 years later haven't spend a dime of real money on the game. In fact as i write this is have almost 17K cartel points and nothing to spend them on.

As a freeloader you get to play 8 class stories which translates in more than 300 hours of content.

I'm tired of saying this to people: you like the game you subscribe. You don't like the game you sod off and go find something you like. You like the game and can't afford the monthly sub ? Then you have bigger problems and you should attend to them. Or you pay 5 bucks to become preferred which gives you some QoL amenities. And you shut your mouth because beggars can't be choosers.

BTW ANY game that puts loot you pulled off a NPC you killed behind a paywall to use is cancer. Pure cancer.
    The game is doing just fine, sorry to disappoint.

Games are kept alive by PAYING players / customers not self entitled freeloaders.
    Orinori said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think you must be mistaking this with a forum where proper discussions are on offer to have. There are plenty of informative posts here for Star Citizen, you won't find much discussion in those, plenty of in game footage and amazing pics, you won't see much talked about in there. Then there are lots of useless posts like the OP's that have only one goal in mind, defame and ridicule, you will find LOTS of posts in those by the same 10 people!

Tell me what it is you would like to talk about surrounding this insightful OP? what can we engage in to further our depth and breadth of knowledge and enlightenment?

Or we could just post soppy drivel grandstanding about nothing in particular while casting insults, I don't mind which.
    Thanks for the response while also highlightening exactly that which I think is wrong.

You immediately say things like defame, ridicule, soppy drivel , insults etc. you've made your stand perfectly clear, but nowhere in the OP, or in my post, do I find anything like that. The OP posted the results of a poll and a somewhat snarky remark about the Guiness Book of Records entry SC has. It wasn't even his own poll and that Guiness Book entry really doesn't tell anything about the quality of SC and neither is it some kind of great achievement. You have however discredited the other side making a discussion impossible. We could have talked about the result of the poll, how it came to be, if SC belongs on the list at all etc. 

And in these threads I indeed find LOTS of posts from the same 10 people mindlessly bashing SC. I also find the same 10 people in all these threads mindlessly defending SC. Both are equally pathetic, and yes, I think its a shame every single thing SC related gets diluted by defenders and haters alike.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Big.Daddy.SamediMrMelGibson

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    So much denial in this thread its pretty awesome it has brought out all the old time white knights as well.

First its not an MMO (one reason its hasnt been released yet) second it s game (how can it be a game when it hasnt released yet) third 'there is a lot to do' like what? If you listed every single solitary thing there wouldn't be 100 things (including variations of the same thing) to do. Pick some random Steam shit game and there is more to do if you start breaking things down like that. There are literally more things for sale than there are things to do by about 5 times I would guess.

Now 'worst business model' maybe maybe not. They have allegedly raised almost 175 million bucks. But that doesnt mean its good especially when even if the number is accurate isnt close to half way to what they will need to finish this.

Now the good and the bad of all this is we will probably find out eventually how much money they actually have raised (from all avenues including loans, 'contributions', sales, and subs) bad is we wont get to watch this flounder any longer than it takes a judge or a jury to side with the plaintiffs in the law suit. SO while it may finally put the final nail in this thing it short changes the guys who wanted to see it implode on its own.

Which it may still do. It will be interesting to see how the money situation is affected by all this. If there is a considerable dip (even if they dont report it) that will more than likely cause it to implode even before the lawsuit is finalized.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Erillion said:
    Funny that by its own definition since the start of the project Star Citizen is NOT an MMO. Making that MMORPG vote somewhat futile. 

Have fun
    haters gonna hate, who cares.

doubt one of them tried or bought the game/pre-access yet. but hey, they all know it sucks :pensive:

colour me bored
    Orinorirpmcmurphy

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited December 2017
    lahnmir said:
    Orinori said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Thanks for the response while also highlightening exactly that which I think is wrong.

You immediately say things like defame, ridicule, soppy drivel , insults etc. you've made your stand perfectly clear, but nowhere in the OP, or in my post, do I find anything like that. The OP posted the results of a poll and a somewhat snarky remark about the Guiness Book of Records entry SC has. It wasn't even his own poll and that Guiness Book entry really doesn't tell anything about the quality of SC and neither is it some kind of great achievement. You have however discredited the other side making a discussion impossible. We could have talked about the result of the poll, how it came to be, if SC belongs on the list at all etc. 

And in these threads I indeed find LOTS of posts from the same 10 people mindlessly bashing SC. I also find the same 10 people in all these threads mindlessly defending SC. Both are equally pathetic, and yes, I think its a shame every single thing SC related gets diluted by defenders and haters alike.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

You think you didn't drop insults? you think the OP wasn't to ridicule and defame! how naive or willfully ignorant. You can't find soppy drivel and grandstanding in your post? incredible, at least it was better than your usual sarcastic one liner (that is also usually aimed at the 'defenders')! Seriously, take a long look in the mirror. You dropped into a troll thread to insult 'defenders' without adding anything to the thread, that is all you did. 

"We could have talked about the result of the poll, how it came to be, if SC belongs on the list at all etc. "

We did. That was far more than you bothered to even try. 

Post edited by Orinori on
    lahnmirrpmcmurphyMrMelGibson
    Shodanas said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Shodanas said:
    bartoni33 said:

The game is doing just fine, sorry to disappoint.

Games are kept alive by PAYING players / customers not self entitled freeloaders.
    Sure it is.

BTW I agree 100% about games being kept alive by paying customers, no shit Sherlock. But when you create (actually forced to create) a FtP model for your game don't make it a chore to play as such. You failed to create a game worth subbing for in the first place. Don't make FtP so shitty even the unwashed plebs of Freetown won't touch it.

Sad thing is I have an unopened CE of TOR sitting on a shelf. I had high hopes for it. I stuck with it through the FtP debacle until they made all companions the same with different skins. By that time I was done. According to Raptr (RIP) I have 546 hours played, almost all of them as a subscriber before and after FtP. So i'm not some troll. I know what I speak of.

Anyway we went very OT. What do you think about TOR getting the number 2 spot? Or do you think SC deserves the hate?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Orinori said:
    lahnmir said:
    Orinori said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

You think you didn't drop insults? you think the OP wasn't to ridicule and defame! how naive or willfully ignorant. You can't find soppy drivel and grandstanding in your post? incredible, at least it was better than your usual sarcastic one liner (that is also always aimed at the 'defenders')! Seriously, take a long look in the mirror. You dropped into a troll thread to insult 'defenders' without adding anything to the thread, that is all you did. 

"We could have talked about the result of the poll, how it came to be, if SC belongs on the list at all etc. "

I found your replies, this one and the one before that, more insulting then the OPs post, or mine for that matter. 

I am curious about the sarcastic one liner I usually use though. I have nothing against SC, I am very critical of it though. Like I've said several times before, I will probably buy it when released.  At least I am being critical of both defenders and haters.

I do find your postsvery defensive and hostile though, you might follow up on your own advice of taking a look into a mirror. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    rpmcmurphyMrMelGibson

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    lahnmir said:
    Orinori said:
    lahnmir said:
    Orinori said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

You think you didn't drop insults? you think the OP wasn't to ridicule and defame! how naive or willfully ignorant. You can't find soppy drivel and grandstanding in your post? incredible, at least it was better than your usual sarcastic one liner (that is also always aimed at the 'defenders')! Seriously, take a long look in the mirror. You dropped into a troll thread to insult 'defenders' without adding anything to the thread, that is all you did. 

I found your replies, this one and the one before that, more insulting then the OPs post, or mine for that matter. 

I am curious about the sarcastic one liner I usually use though. I have nothing against SC, I am very critical of it though. Like I've said several times before, I will probably buy it when released.  At least I am being critical of both defenders and haters.

I do find your postsvery defensive and hostile though, you might follow up on your own advice of taking a look into a mirror. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Most of their posts are defensive and hostile unless they are posting praise from replies of other defenders
    MrMelGibson
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    bartoni33 said:
    Obviously SC being on that poll is just trollish nonsense. $100m+ funded for a game that is nowhere near coming out is a phenomenal business model. Pure jealously.

worst business model in regards to the customer ...
    bartoni33
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Orinori said:

Aww did someone touch you on your sore spot?
    You whinge about people posting with one goal in mind but you've no problem with people shilling. Making propaganda post after propaganda post of useless drivel copy/pasted from CIG's website that no-one could give two hoots about and are purely done to keep Star Citizen on the discussed topics list...
    I might be biased about my viewpoint regarding Star Citizen but atleast I know I'm biased.
  • LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205
    edited December 2017
    What I find funny is that people are treating this vote as absolute. From a site that isn't exactly popular nowadays. And this vote seems way too edgy trying to hit at more popular games who have recently suffered some criticism / drama over a bad move that was made. It's an obvious attempt at clicks as they are popular searches. There are many other games with worse models that barely get attention. Take pretty much any Webzen game. Their monitization model is absolutely terrible and usually Pay to Win.

That being said; with 824 total votes? I wouldn't consider this an actual vote with it's sample size. Let alone "Guinness Book of World Records" worthy. This is a meritless post made by someone who is jumping on the hate bandwagon, just because.

And just for full disclosure; I am a backer of Star Citizen, and I still believe in the game. However, I do not think the game nor the company is without flaws. I've had my fair share of disappointment with the company's decisions before. However, the game development has progressed at a decent pace and it's a concept I am investing in financially regardless if it flops or not cause it's a concept I want to see become reality one day. If Star Citizen should fail; the success of it's backing will lead someone else to try and pick up where Star Citizen left off and that is why I put my money towards the development of the game.
    Erillion
    bartoni33 said:
    Obviously SC being on that poll is just trollish nonsense. $100m+ funded for a game that is nowhere near coming out is a phenomenal business model. Pure jealously.

worst business model in regards to the customer ...
    From what I have encountered over the years businesses have little regard for customers other than as revenue potential.

edited December 2017
    Orinori said:

Aww did someone touch you on your sore spot?
    yes, hate that hypocritical holier than thou crap.

You whinge about people posting with one goal in mind but you've no problem with people shilling. Making propaganda post after propaganda post of useless drivel copy/pasted from CIG's website that no-one could give two hoots about and are purely done to keep Star Citizen on the discussed topics list...
    I might be biased about my viewpoint regarding Star Citizen but atleast I know I'm biased.

I happen to find a lot of the stuff informative, I don't go to CIG forums for news, I can't stand their forums. I like these forums, I like the layout and the colour scheme and I like messing around with you lot!
    PhaserlightCotic