Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA - PlayStation 4 Hands On Preview - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageTERA - PlayStation 4 Hands On Preview - MMORPG.com

As many of you may already know, Tera is getting ready to make its way from PC to console. And just this last weekend fans got their first chance to check out the MMO on a PS4 at Sony’s Playstation Experience. And even though I wasn’t able to make the event itself, I did get a chance to go hands-on with a brief demo of what fans can expect.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Whiteshade92Whiteshade92 Member UncommonPosts: 95

Ui looks suprisingly good.
    Looks like a decent port. I hope it doesn't require psn to play.
    [Deleted User]
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    How many buttons does the controller have ? Going have to use your feet maybe ? :dizzy:
    Controllers have more than enough combinations for MMOs, just might be tough for some PC players to get used to if they aren't already using controllers 
    killerqueerNephethrojoArcueidAyin

• cranthugcranthug Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited December 2017
    I

How many buttons does the controller have ? Going have to use your feet maybe ? :dizzy:

As a former PC MMO purist, after playing ESO on PS4 I really have to say that some MMOs can be done well on console, maybe even more convenient for me to play as I don't have to marathon at a desk chair.

The keybind defaults aren't terrible in ESO, and the method in FF XIV didn't look too taxing either. I think it takes getting used to like anything else, then no worries.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I'm super pumped for this. I don't have a PC currently as mine broke and I've been itching to play Tera again. Me and a couple friends have been waiting to play the PS4 version, so it's good to hear any news regarding it, hopefully it has a release soon.
  • LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Would love to play Tera again. But not as long as end game is all about groups, groups, groups, groups and more groups. I hate that just about everything new that get released is either 50-100$ stuff for the store or spin some ridiculous wheel to win, or more damn group dungeons.
    killerqueerNephethAyin
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

LilithM said:

Would love to play Tera again. But not as long as end game is all about groups, groups, groups, groups and more groups. I hate that just about everything new that get released is either 50-100$ stuff for the store or spin some ridiculous wheel to win, or more damn group dungeons.

Oh no, you have to run group content in an MMO? Well that's just awful.
    goozmaniaNepheth
  • LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82

LilithM said:

Oh no, someone play a game in a way I don't like? No that ain't gonna fly, bub.
    Ayin
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Tera could be great on PS4. But I want it on Switch. :D
    ConstantineMerusGreatness

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    I think Tera on the PC has a gamepad option.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Switch sucks. PS4 and XBONE are way better.

• HellsprodigyHellsprodigy Member UncommonPosts: 27

Pretty sure it will considering its online with others
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

Pretty sure it will considering its online with others

Probably not. There are a ton of free games on Playstation that don't require PSN to play.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• LarryYadaoLarryYadao Member CommonPosts: 4

Soki123 said:

Switch sucks. PS4 and XBONE are way better.

Though it might not be as great as ps4 and xb1, saying the Switch sucks is a fanboy reason. It not only has the greatest rated game of all time (Mario) but it also has Zelda and some decent and promising third party games. So sorry, it doesn't suck.

As for Tera, I've played a little so far and it's pretty fun. We will see how it works with more actions but so far, I'm enjoying it. Being one of the most popular f2p MMORPGs out, this actually has promise for anyone wanting a great mmorpg that doesn't want to play on PC.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Wonder if it will be cross platform? If you want to do the storyline stuff in the game I would reccomend joining a friendly helpful guild. Because if the community is like the one on the PC version, lot of times if you PUG, your group will insist on skipping the story line dungeon quests. They can do it because they made it work that way, atleast in the PC version.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

I believe you meant PSN Plus, it probably would as in most online games do. But PSN+ is a great service. Free monthly games and double discounts justifies way more than the monthly sub fee. But then again, depends on how much you play on PS4. 

In 2017 by paying an annually PSN+ fee of £39.99 I've saved about £800 considering the free games and double discounts. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220

LilithM said:

to each their own, I love group content
    Mitara
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Is the UI overhaul going to make its way to PC, too, at least as an option? When I played TERA, trying to play with a controller was really, really awkward. The game would disable some controller options entirely if it didn't detect an Xbox 360 controller, so I had to get external software to tell the game that I had an Xbox 360 controller that didn't actually exist in the real world just to access some controller options. And even then, it was really awkward to play.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2017

i played tera on PC exclusively with a controller and was able to map around 34 actions(skills and menus, etc) on the controller, natively. So yeah, that old tired excuse about gamepads having limited buttons died years ago.

Also, FFXIV says hi. You can have 10 hotbars with 16 buttons each, all on the controller.
    sschrupp

edited December 2017

I believe you meant PSN Plus, it probably would as in most online games do. But PSN+ is a great service. Free monthly games and double discounts justifies way more than the monthly sub fee. But then again, depends on how much you play on PS4. 

In 2017 by paying an annually PSN+ fee of £39.99 I've saved about £800 considering the free games and double discounts. 

Free to Play games don't require PSN Plus. Not a single one does. Only retail games require Plus membership for online play. So if you have to purchase the game then you have to purchase PS Plus as well. But yes, Plus is a good service, especially when amazon sells it for $40 bucks on some holidays.
    ConstantineMerus

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited December 2017

i played tera on PC exclusively with a controller and was able to map around 34 actions(skills and menus, etc) on the controller, natively. So yeah, that old tired excuse about gamepads having limited buttons died years ago.

Also, FFXIV says hi. You can have 10 hotbars with 16 buttons each, all on the controller.
    Yeah it's possible. I am old and dumb and have trouble once you start to need past about 8 skills though - that goes for K/M or Controller.

The Skill Chain options help immensely with that on TERA. I still play TERA off and on on the PC, looking forward to it on PS4.
    rojoArcueidMitara

Ridelynn said:

Yeah it's possible. I am old and dumb and have trouble once you start to need past about 8 skills though - that goes for K/M or Controller.

Me too. I try to play with as little buttons as possible, but always map as many as i can just in case. On Keyboard i stick to 1-6 which are closer to WASD as well. Unnecessarily complex systems don't really make a game any more challenging or less casual either IMO.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    edited December 2017
    LilithM said:

LilithM said:

Oh no someone wanting a genre that is multiplayer wants its it to be single player. There is plenty of solo shit to do in it. If they focus on single player the game would die. Group content is the life blood of an mmo. Want a single player game with a massive open world and fun combat go play witcher 3
    Ayin
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I like to communicate with my guildies
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Pretty sure they built it on Unreal. Unreal can run on the Switch. Tera = Switch. That's how it works right?
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    LilithM said:

LilithM said:

PLAY SINGLE PLAYER GAMES

Ayin