Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division - Michael Bitton - Patch 1.8 is the Best The Division’s Ever Been - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited December 2017

Alverant said:

Alverant said:

Are you still government agents killing US citizens without trial or just cause who are trying to survive?

Not interested.

That's really not accurate. You're shooting heavily armed criminals and malcontents who are trying to profit off the misery around them, killing and looting for fun, and / or attempting to spread even more chaos to keep the city crippled.

Really because last time I checked you knew who the "criminals" and "malcontents" were by their clothing alone (like wearing a hoodie) and you even had to shoot unarmed people who weren't doing anything wrong in one mission.

No, they are armed and they shoot at you.

My favorite ones to kill are the corporate-hired mercenaries who shoot innocent civilians in the streets. All of your targets are d-bags for sure, though. So don't worry. Just kill em all and let god sort em out, as the saying goes.

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Well, I wanted to read comments about why I should get the game and instead fell into an ethical discussion. Yeah, I’m not sold.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Who are we, but pixels in someone else's eye. If our fleeting lives deserve the courtesy of a fair trial, should we not offer the same to our digital counter parts? For our decisions were our own, but those poor virtual beings were just following someone else's code.

#JusticeForOnesAndZeros
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    I noticed there was a gadget CC guy how is that build in this game?
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520

Alverant said:

Are you still government agents killing US citizens without trial or just cause who are trying to survive?

Not interested.

That's exactly why I had to stop playing WoW. I couldn't get over the thoughtless slaughter of Orcs...it really got to me.
    ConstantineMeruslaxieScotPhryeddieg50sschrupp
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Alverant said:

Not interested.

I don't think shooters are for you, nothing wrong with that of course.

As to the update, games simply are not given this long to make a comeback now. The gaming industry created that situation, so on their heads be it.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Well, I wanted to read comments about why I should get the game and instead fell into an ethical discussion. Yeah, I’m not sold.
    Its such an old game at this point that finding out whether or not its worth your time is just a matter of how much information it takes to come to that decision, youtube videos, critical reviews etc. exist in abundance covering the base game and the numerous dlc's. Ethical questions, well afaik the game doesn't have any nudity in it? no gamble boxes that i am aware of, nor does it promote racial prejudice, again, that i am aware of, so i can imagine 'ethical discussions' on the game are nothing more than a minor distraction that is probably irrelevant anyway. All i can say is that the PC version is better than the console versions for various reasons from graphical to just how the game 'handles'. Overall its the sort of game you can play once or twice a fortnight for a few hours for a change of pace, its not bad, it's just there are better games out there, though lately Bungie and EA do seem to be trying to prove otherwise. :/
  • JavisoJaviso Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Great write up! Thanks for this. I just bought the Gold edition last week during the Steam sale and absolutely love it! I can't stop playing!!!
    MikeB

PC Gamer | OTG | Content Creator | Tolkien Fanatic | Yudansha | Professor | Technologist | Historian | 26.2 | Cat Whisperer

Follow/connect with me:

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I just picked it up on xbox a couple weeks ago on sale for the gold edition. I m surprised how fun it is after reading all the negative. 
    berlightMikeB
  • tankrdtankrd Member UncommonPosts: 25

Alverant said:

Alverant said:

Not interested.

That's really not accurate. You're shooting heavily armed criminals and malcontents who are trying to profit off the misery around them, killing and looting for fun, and / or attempting to spread even more chaos to keep the city crippled.

Really because last time I checked you knew who the "criminals" and "malcontents" were by their clothing alone (like wearing a hoodie) and you even had to shoot unarmed people who weren't doing anything wrong in one mission.

fuck dude, go play Mario Karts
    tort0429
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    TBH I loved the Division. The game had an imense criticism, but I did not feel the game was bad.
    The only issue for me was when I got all the best gear in the game there wasn't anything that kept me playing. I'll install the game again and try with all this changes.

Thank you for the information mmorpg.com :)
    MikeB

Beta tester maniac

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2017
    all they had to do was ask valve how they earn money :)

"by selling hats!"
    "hats!? uh now THAT is clever, we only have beanies so far!"

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Torval said:

Alverant said:

Not interested.

This is a traditional good guys vs bad guys game.  If I remember correctly the game won't even let you shoot innocent civilians.  

Division Plot from Wiki.

On Black Friday, a smallpox pandemic, transmitted by a virus planted on banknotes, sweeps through New York City. The disease, known as "Green Poison" or "The Dollar Flu", causes widespread chaos, and Manhattan is placed under quarantine. The U.S. Government activates sleeper agents in the population who operate for the Strategic Homeland Division, or simply "The Division", to assist emergency responders, now called the Joint Task Force (JTF), in restoring order. 

The agents undertake assignments to rescue important personnel, help in restoring the base of operations to full working capacity and combat criminal groups, such as the Rioters, common street thugs in New York who generally want to take advantage of the quarantine, the Rikers, escapees from Rikers Island, and the Cleaners, insane New York Sanitation workers who wield flamethrowers and believe everyone is infected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_The_Division

Yeah. The weird thing while playing though is there is quite a bit of double standards (can't think of a better word right now). I played it a bit when it launched and just recently got back into it (I had the seasons pass I guess and didn't even know). While playing in the story, you are allowed to kill looters who are looting places, then run in and take the loot they were stealing, basically making you the same as them.

I really like the changes they made to the game over time. They made it into what these games should be, full of content, and fun. Destiny and this both had the same problem at launch with lack of content and things to do. But after a while both became full fledged experiences that you could drop hundreds of hours into. When Destiny 2 came out I played for about a week, and for some reason I just can't bring myself to play it because I've done everything. But with this, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun even if the story is kind of crazy and you are allowed to essentially do what the other people are doing and kill them for justice.

That's one thing I don't like in a lot of games, looting.  In Mass Effect I had to break into a civilians apartment, found out she was dying, and looted her safe before I left.  Also did the same exact thing in a lot of other games.  I could see playing a thief but when you're suppose to be the hero/good guy. :neutral:

In my Fallout: New Vegas play through I did a "good" guy. I never took from anyone I woudn't have if it were real life. I tried to treat people (npcs) how I imagine the character would have. He did steal and do a few unsavory things, but not to innocents or good people. He didn't rob his friendly faction people. I don't get that about a lot of RPG games and how they create scenarios for incongruent behaviors.

ITS JUST A DAMN GAME. OMG
    tort0429
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2017
    I've never played it properly but this has convinced me to grab it the next time it's on sale. I think I'm getting bored with Destiny 2 because I'm starting to look at other games. I'll be trying Warframe first, since it's ftp.

I like to have a quicker, loot-based game like Destiny, Diablo, PoE, Grim Dawn or Borderlands and a main 'proper' MMORPG on the go at the same time.
    Today only, 8 hours left at the time of this post in UPlay: 

The Division, Standard edition $15.00  
    Gold Edition (all DLC included*) $27.00  
    DLC only pack $16.00

*Except skins.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Torval said:

Moxom914 said:

Torval said:

Alverant said:

Not interested.

This is a traditional good guys vs bad guys game.  If I remember correctly the game won't even let you shoot innocent civilians.  

Division Plot from Wiki.

On Black Friday, a smallpox pandemic, transmitted by a virus planted on banknotes, sweeps through New York City. The disease, known as "Green Poison" or "The Dollar Flu", causes widespread chaos, and Manhattan is placed under quarantine. The U.S. Government activates sleeper agents in the population who operate for the Strategic Homeland Division, or simply "The Division", to assist emergency responders, now called the Joint Task Force (JTF), in restoring order. 

The agents undertake assignments to rescue important personnel, help in restoring the base of operations to full working capacity and combat criminal groups, such as the Rioters, common street thugs in New York who generally want to take advantage of the quarantine, the Rikers, escapees from Rikers Island, and the Cleaners, insane New York Sanitation workers who wield flamethrowers and believe everyone is infected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_The_Division

Yeah. The weird thing while playing though is there is quite a bit of double standards (can't think of a better word right now). I played it a bit when it launched and just recently got back into it (I had the seasons pass I guess and didn't even know). While playing in the story, you are allowed to kill looters who are looting places, then run in and take the loot they were stealing, basically making you the same as them.

I really like the changes they made to the game over time. They made it into what these games should be, full of content, and fun. Destiny and this both had the same problem at launch with lack of content and things to do. But after a while both became full fledged experiences that you could drop hundreds of hours into. When Destiny 2 came out I played for about a week, and for some reason I just can't bring myself to play it because I've done everything. But with this, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun even if the story is kind of crazy and you are allowed to essentially do what the other people are doing and kill them for justice.

That's one thing I don't like in a lot of games, looting.  In Mass Effect I had to break into a civilians apartment, found out she was dying, and looted her safe before I left.  Also did the same exact thing in a lot of other games.  I could see playing a thief but when you're suppose to be the hero/good guy. :neutral:

In my Fallout: New Vegas play through I did a "good" guy. I never took from anyone I woudn't have if it were real life. I tried to treat people (npcs) how I imagine the character would have. He did steal and do a few unsavory things, but not to innocents or good people. He didn't rob his friendly faction people. I don't get that about a lot of RPG games and how they create scenarios for incongruent behaviors.

ITS JUST A DAMN GAME. OMG

It's a role-playing game. Pacman is that way.

role playing GAME. at the end of the day, its still just a game. people need to remember that.
    [Deleted User]
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I was gonna give it another go for xmass time anyway so it's good to see that it's improving. I last time stopped it mainly due my pc issues, i personally enjoyed the fok outta the game.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    This is good to hear, maybe I'll pick it up next time it's around 20 bucks!
  • MorpayneMorpayne Member UncommonPosts: 21

kaz350 said:

I tried it this past weekend but man...I just cant get over...shooting humans in jeans and beanies with hundreds of bullets. I LOVE the setting though....ugggh.

I fully believe that if the selectively moral crusade marches on as it has been for the past few years, we will see the removal of any gunplay at all in video games within our lifetime. Especially when you consider the powers that be are desperate to make it "cool" to hate guns. Comments like this are the seeds, the rumbles.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I bought it in the sale after playing a few hours with the trial.
    It's been very enjoyable.
    Leveling was really fun and upon reaching lvl30 you're hit with a ridiculous amount of new content that you can do.
    I've no idea where to start! :D
    [Deleted User]

..Cake..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Fun while each mission lasts,then people have places to go so group drops,your left standing there in front of next mission gate/instance.

Also to a new player,the UI is cumbersome ...slow,you'll be standing there reading while your team is out fighting.In general i find the UI badly designed.

After a few mission runs,it gets sort of boring.The atmosphere and maps are well done.
    I don't like how all these type games added buying stuff,these are not rpg's it is simply a fps with mostly pew pew miniguns.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.