Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, Where Are YOU on Net Neutrality?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    MaxBacon said:
    I think control needs to exist to some extent.

People highlight all the goods but there are godawful downsides that are absolutely ridiculous. A free pass to criminal behavior on the internet, from pedophilia to harassment to even go hire a hitman and terrorism, the lack of control makes it so the most awful things happen and are literally immune, being hard to ever answer to such problems.

Independent of what the solution should be, I think it should get some control, there should be something to ensure that freedom is something that is not above law just because you are online.
    I'm not sure how any of that has anything to do with Net Neutrality?  This is about keeping ISPs and big Corps like Verizon from making up their own rules as they go.  It's not there to censor the internet.  You should probably read up on the subject a bit more.
    I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for pedophila or harassment or anything else like that, but I also realize it's not the place of the ISP to police or enforce those things.

No one is blaming the phone company for underage phone sex, or for allowing the setup of drug deals with burner phones, or anything like that. If an official law enforcement agency requests records, and has the proper warrant, they comply and provide records, and the ISPs are treated no differently in that regard. But that's a totally different matter than Net Neutrality - no one is advocating the phone company monitor who you call or what you say, they stay out of the content of your phone conversations. Net Neutrality is about ISPs getting into your internet activity.
    MrMelGibsonYashaX[Deleted User]
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/broadband-internet-access-rural-1.3898358

This is our government's stance on the internet.

Canada is very large country with a sparse population outside of the main population centers. Historically have to rely on public money for infrastructure outside of the population centers. It's not profitable enough for the private sector.
    YashaX

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I'm normally MUCH in favor of free markets. But the situation in the US is anything but a free market. Large parts of the country are lucky to have more than two sources (many only have one) for broadband service. This is a government granted and protected monopoly(or duopoly).

That being the case, allowing the likes of Comcast and its ilk to do what ever they want to is the height of foolishness.   The results will be higher prices, less access and "sweet" deals for their cronies.
    YashaXAvarix
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    When Google, Twitter, Amazon, and Facebook all line up on the side of the government regulating something you know it's bad for everyone. How long did Google fight to keep their little sex crime exchange Backpage.com protected from lawsuits? Five years? Ten?  The current net neutrality rules protected the internet about as much as the Communications Decency Act protected children forced into prostitution from being sold online.  
    This is all about monetization.

Just think about it as... microtransaction based internet access. Now of course if you're a beneficiary, I could see you wishing to kill Net Neutrality. 
    MrMelGibsongrimal

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    When Google, Twitter, Amazon, and Facebook all line up on the side of the government regulating something you know it's bad for everyone. How long did Google fight to keep their little sex crime exchange Backpage.com protected from lawsuits? Five years? Ten?  The current net neutrality rules protected the internet about as much as the Communications Decency Act protected children forced into prostitution from being sold online.  
    Where are you and others that are misinformed getting your information?  Because you are being lied to or someone who doesn't have a clue is feeding you a line of bullshit.  This has literally nothing to do with what you're saying.
    [Deleted User]
    Where are you and others that are misinformed getting your information?  Because you are being lied to or someone who doesn't have a clue is feeding you a line of bullshit.  This has literally nothing to do with what you're saying.

Yeah people keep telling me government regulations aren't written by lobbyists too. There's only one question you need to ask to know what's really going on. Cui bono? 
    Well you know that drunk drivings laws came into fruition by grieving mothers lobbying the government.

Everything come into fruition by lobbyists. Things get a little outta whack when big money gets in the way.
    MrMelGibson

Yeah people keep telling me government regulations aren't written by lobbyists too. There's only one question you need to ask to know what's really going on. Cui bono? 
    Ignorance is bliss.
    grimal
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Today is the day (12/14)

https://twitter.com/Machinima/status/939356395371094016

This is a short clip with few words on exactly why every gamer should be fighting to preserve net neutrality. In a nut shell, without it you will see major monopoly on  data caps and internet speed  effecting everything we do because of games including email, social, media, research, communication.

Protect #NetNeutrality
    https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NetNeutrality&src=tyah

Good luck all and thank you everyone who has taken the time.

MrMelGibson
    Kiwiflava said:
    Today is the day (12/14)

This is a short clip with few words on exactly why every gamer should be fighting to preserve net neutrality. In a nut shell, without it you will see major monopoly on  data caps and internet speed  effecting everything we do because of games including email, social, media, research, communication.

Protect #NetNeutrality

Because we had throttling in 2015 before the regulations were passed, illegally, by Mr. phone and pen. Oh wait..... 

Most of you aren't old enough to remember when there were data caps on internet and we paid by the minute. Then competition came to the market, without government interference, and all that went away. The few times companies have tried it since then they have gotten pummeled by the free market. 
    Yes, they have tried this shit before.  But Net Neutrality was what kept it in check.

You can keep living in fantasy land where you think the free market will regulate itself.
    Phry[Deleted User]
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    laserit said:

Well you know that drunk drivings laws came into fruition by grieving mothers lobbying the government.

Everything come into fruition by lobbyists. Things get a little outta whack when big money gets in the way.

Oh and net neutrality was a goner anyway. There was no way the courts were going to be convinced the Communications Act of 1934 gave the FCC authority to regulate the internet. It would have taken some serious foresight for congress to have anticipated the need. If they want a law to regulate the internet they'll need to pass a bill.  Good luck with that. 
    ? NN has already been upheld in the courts.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    "It's the end of the world as we know it..And I feel fine."

REM

;)
    Ridelynn

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kiwiflava said:
    Today is the day (12/14)

Protect #NetNeutrality

Because we had throttling in 2015 before the regulations were passed, illegally, by Mr. phone and pen. Oh wait..... 

Most of you aren't old enough to remember when there were data caps on internet and we paid by the minute. Then competition came to the market, without government interference, and all that went away. The few times companies have tried it since then they have gotten pummeled by the free market. 
    There are data caps on the internet currently....
    [Deleted User]YashaXlaseritRidelynnMrMelGibson

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Kiwiflava said:
    Today is the day (12/14)

Protect #NetNeutrality

Yes, they have tried this shit before.  But Net Neutrality was what kept it in check.

You can keep living in fantasy land where you think the free market will regulate itself.
    Well seeing as I am American, I believe the free market regulates itself better than a bunch of elitist snobs. That's what my preceding generations fought for and what I will continue to fight for. Some of us have ancestors who fought and died to not have every aspect of our lives controlled by an overreaching government. That sometimes comes with drawbacks when big companies act like morons, but that's the price of freedom. Ultimate freedom has this catch to it...other people are free to do business as they please too. Americans keep forgetting it's not just you that has freedom, it's everyone, and with freedom comes conflict. But oh is it worth it. The market will regulate itself, it always does, but there may be growing pains.
    YashaXAsm0deusMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Daranar said:
    Kiwiflava said:
    Today is the day (12/14)

Protect #NetNeutrality

Well seeing as I am American, I believe the free market regulates itself better than a bunch of elitist snobs. That's what my preceding generations fought for and what I will continue to fight for. Some of us have ancestors who fought and died to not have every aspect of our lives controlled by an overreaching government. That sometimes comes with drawbacks when big companies act like morons, but that's the price of freedom. Ultimate freedom has this catch to it...other people are free to do business as they please too. Americans keep forgetting it's not just you that has freedom, it's everyone, and with freedom comes conflict. But oh is it worth it. The market will regulate itself, it always does, but there may be growing pains.

Were you on Jake Tapper's show recently?

Is that you?

Octagon7711MrMelGibson
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kiwiflava said:
    Today is the day (12/14)

Protect #NetNeutrality

I am seeing a lot of tried, where stopped, and sued in almost all of those...so the system before Net Neutrality was working because that stuff was dealt with.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Daranar said:
    Kiwiflava said:
    Today is the day (12/14)

Protect #NetNeutrality

As someone with both American and Canadian citizenship I have ancestors that fought in past wars and have family currently in the army that fight for our freedoms.  The thing is freedom isn't about giving free reign to every company or tom dick and harry to do what ever the hell they want. 

The USA was based on freedom for everyone as long as these freedoms follow certain rules like not taking away another persons freedom which is essentially what big ISP keep trying to do. 

I understand no one likes it when the government gets involved in stuff and realize there lots of corruption that happens but people need to stop with the stupid red neck mentality and thinking all "govment" is bad, cause lets face it free market doesn't really regulate itself very well in some cases and companies are even more corrupt than "govment"...the real problem is  when politics sticks its ugly head where it doesn't belong which is a big difference tween the FCC and the canadian equivalent the CRTC.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/us-canada-net-neutrality-party-politics-fcc-crtc-fight-1.4447558

laseritgrimal

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    That FCC commissioner Ajit Pai has the most douchey look. You ever see someone's face and just instantly know they are a scumbag ?
    YashaXcranthugMrMelGibson
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

laserit said:

Actually insurance companies had just as much to do with drunk driving laws. Grieving mothers were the public face. Sometimes public and corporate interests align. It didn't hurt that the insurance companies used their advertising budgets to really push the media companies to back the effort either. 

Oh and net neutrality was a goner anyway. There was no way the courts were going to be convinced the Communications Act of 1934 gave the FCC authority to regulate the internet. It would have taken some serious foresight for congress to have anticipated the need. If they want a law to regulate the internet they'll need to pass a bill.  Good luck with that. 
    Drunk driving laws are about protecting innocent people from being killed or injured by idiots. Not about making insurance companies more profitable.

I don't know how things work down there. But up here where I am if your in an accident and your drunk, insurance doesn't cover you... your on your own. If you're hit by a drunk driver your insurance won't cover you unless you have purchased *under-insured* protection, its bought and paid for, to the insurance companies chagrin, insurance isn't just about taking money. Neither the drunk nor the victim need to worry about the medical bills.

Your guys seem to be partisan-ed up to your detriment.

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    ROFL, any rules Obama put into NN needs to be removed. Nothing Obama and his administration did wasn't good for #America! They are great for the #Democrats because they can ban any Conservative sites. #WakeUpAmerica
    bartoni33AvarixcameltosisTheScavengerMrMelGibsongrimalJeffSpicoli
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    ScotchUp said:
    ROFL, any rules Obama put into NN needs to be removed. Nothing Obama and his administration did wasn't good for #America! They are great for the #Democrats because they can ban any Conservative sites. #WakeUpAmerica

MadFrenchieMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    ScotchUp said:
    Da fuq are you smoking my dude, cause I want some!
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    ScotchUp said:
    You realise that its net neutrality that stops the type of thing you are alluding to right? Without nn if a provider decides they don't like site X they may decide to ban the site even - or just charge it megabucks.

No clearly you don't. Sad.
    MrMelGibson
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I am against it

• cranthugcranthug Member UncommonPosts: 102
    thunderC said:
    That FCC commissioner Ajit Pai has the most douchey look. You ever see someone's face and just instantly know they are a scumbag ?

He sets off my empathy also, def scumbag.  The senses don't lie.
    JeffSpicoli
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited December 2017
    The removal of net neutrality will make the people band together and bring a fresh new face to vigilantism. I think it may be needed as IT/the internet is still that redheaded step child the government and politicians refuse to take a serious hard long look at

I'm guessing various levels of people with good amounts of money backing them up like an IT form of Antifa. That's just the start.

Also need to consider the people on the bottom of society, just squeaking by. F2P gamers, full time gamers, people who have move to mobile gaming because they can't afford normal gaming...I mean these are real numbers who will likely become activist.
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.