Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Movie Universes that Would Make Great MMOs - General Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

image5 Movie Universes that Would Make Great MMOs - General Columns

When was the last time you watched a movie and though, “Wow, this would make a great MMO! There are different groups and conflicts, that could be one class, and this would make a cool class too. It’s perfect!” If you play MMOs regularly, then you probably have something like that go through your mind during most of your favorite films.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Replace Tron with Blade Runner.
    DaikurubobbymcswansonMrMelGibsonMadFrenchieOctagon7711marganculosLackingMMOTokkenEponyxDamorTsiyaand 4 others.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Stargate
    Babylon 5

The lore on those 2 alone would keep people entertained for a loooong time.
    TaneonAlomarDaikuruOctagon7711AsheramDavodtheTuttTsiyaMitara
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Blade Runner

Ghost in the Shell

Babylon 5

Underworld

Cowboy Bebop

there are many movies / series that would make great mmos.
    AsheramPhloom
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• roalandroaland Member UncommonPosts: 185
    edited December 2017
    I personally think a Game of Thrones MMO would be perfect! Not really a movie but its a series lol the PvP could be house against house with the goal of getting the house on the throne. You got the wildling faction, the crows, political intrigue, a huge world! ship warfare, massive sieges! If done right it could make Dark Age of Camelot look like checkers! *droolz*
    AeanderOctagon7711G4NK3D
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Highlander would not be a great MMO. It would, however, be perfect for a Battle Royale game. In fact, I'd say that Battle Royale could even be the only way to fully do the concept of Highlander properly in game form.
    SamhaelAsheramlucignanoPhloomMitaraanemo
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    It's not really a movie, but Masters of the Universe would be fantastic.

Max Max would be fun, too.
    CrazKanukPhloomMitara
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Mad Max is the only one that would be remotely interesting to me. I think these would all make pretty bad MMOs. MMOs are so large in scope that an IP needs to have really deep lore and a large environment like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of The Rings, D&D.

@roaland has the idea with GoT. Plus it has the very intense followers.
    roalandmeddyckG4NK3DMitaraCapodecina

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited December 2017
    Imagine a Groundhog Day MMO with infinite replayability. The same daily quests over and over and over... Oh and I almost forgot how awesome daily server wipes could be. :)
    DavodtheTuttangerbeaverPhloomMitaraanemo
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Aeander said:

Highlander would not be a great MMO. It would, however, be perfect for a Battle Royale game. In fact, I'd say that Battle Royale could even be the only way to fully do the concept of Highlander properly in game form.

I agree. In fact, a company tried to make a MMO out of it but ended up shuttering. I don't know that they ever really figured out what the "eliminated" players were going to do while the remaining players tried to kill each other. Once out, I'm not sure most people would be all that interested in potentially waiting a few days to respawn.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2017
    Terminator would make a good single player game. Everyone being a terminator would be sort of generic in an mmo.

When i look at Highlander i see two things, and RTS and a Dynasty Warriors clone. However, it could also be a good Horizon Zero Dawn clone.
    Mitara

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Onomas said:
    Stargate
    Babylon 5

The lore on those 2 alone would keep people entertained for a loooong time.

Stargate MMO actually was in development years ago but got cancelled, ran out of money I think. The dev's eventually did release a multiplayer game, 3rd person arena shooter. 
    Mitara
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    So the article is about movie universes that would make good MMOs and you all go on to post about tv series :/

Well I guess I'll throw mine in there ...Robotech which was based on 3 different anime cartoons redone for the western market. There are 21 novels spanning 3 separate generations and a whole host of planets, species, flora, fauna ect to utilize. Also a live action movie is in the works.
    DavodtheTuttSolar_ProphetPhloomMitara
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Does the author have a clue what a MMO is?  Beyond Mad Max none of those would make a good MMO story.

Where do you get these clueless authors?
    Mitara
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Ozmodan said:
    Does the author have a clue what a MMO is?  Beyond Mad Max none of those would make a good MMO story.

The only clueless person is the one who doesn't comprehend the meaning of an opinion.
    rojoArcueidAsheramDavodtheTuttPhloomMitara
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Blade Runner

Ghost in the Shell

Babylon 5

Underworld

Highlander

Honorable mention:
    Vampire Masquerade  
    MrMelGibsonrertezAsheramPhloom

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Underworld - Practically made for faction pvp.

Blade Runner

Dune

Kingsman - Play as one of many new Kingsman agents and tackle villains too over the top and wacky for even comic books. The result would essentially be the love child of the Matrix Online, James Bond, and City of Heroes.

Harry Potter - Let's be honest here - this is obvious to the point of cliche. It already has a setup for player created wizards, houses to serve as factions, a wide variety of magical creatures, dueling, and its own team sport.
    CrimsannMrMelGibsonDavodtheTuttwandericaPhloomwingood
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Oh boy, I'd be all over a Terminator MMO a.k.a. Skynet.

Although, an open world RPG a lot like Fallout would probably be better for it.
    MrMelGibsonMitara
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Ozmodan said:

totaly disagree with you here.

no idea how you can not see tron's potential there
    MrMelGibsonCrazKanukPhloomMitara

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• budbundybudbundy Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Game of Thrones and Mad Max would be awesome. Also Walking Dead could be good with the right team doing it. Imagine the guilds could be like Alexandria or the Kingdom:)
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Earth Sea would be great.
    Phloom

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Transformers . . . Faction setup, customizable classes, i guess you could create whatever you wanted. Built in mounts and the ability to change mounts by transforming. Wouls be fun to really have it sandbox like such as CoH
    Mitara
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Mad Max.. yes..
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    The Revenant

The Hateful Eight
    MrMelGibson
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    The Matrix, Star Wars, LoTR, Star Trek and stargate... Oh wait. :-)
    CrazKanukPhloom