Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC makes PC Gamers worst micro transactions list

Comments

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited December 2017
    Seems they talked about it early on back in 2012 but now it looks less like it will be a thing. That's only a quick search.

I am interested in Star Citizen because it is a high quality detailed living breathing seamless First Person Universe sandbox MMO with all sorts of action and interaction possible. I don't see much competition around, there is Dual Universe although that lacks detail and quality and they have not shown much of what is on offer the last time I looked at it but that game could be interesting, not on the level of SC, not real competition, just interesting.
    Post edited by Orinori on
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    The only games/studios that could do something remotely within the scope and fidelity of what Star Citizen is doing would be Blizzard (Starcraft MMO) , Activision (Destiny as a proper MMOFPS), EA (Star Wars or Anthem as MMORPG), Rockstart (Space GTA) or Ubisoft with Beyond Good & Evil.

Small studios since they have little resources they are forever stuck with unidimensional games like Kerbal, Space Engeniers, Elite, Everspace, Hellium and many other Early Access games.

There's nothing wrong with their business model because not everyone has the luck to get so much backing that it allows for such an increase of scope and consequent lengthy development process.

Making a (good) game is hard, releasing a game is extremely hard but even more difficult is to get the attention of the gaming community and consequent support strong enough to allow you to continue and improve said game. Star Citizen already has plenty of media awareness, a huge community backing it so they can make the game at their own pace without the need to rush anything.

That's why they already have most of the features in place that other games will probably take half a decade to achieve if they can survive until then.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited December 2017
    Failed?

https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/seasons/

Elite Dangerous is still working on expanding the planetary landing system, plus more (including multi-crew ships).  Why would you say it's failed to provide that feature? 
    >> here you can move around inside your spaceship >>>

Show me how i can move around my ship in E:D please.

And i do not mean that captain mannekin that is nailed to the captains seat.

In EVE i can at least walk around my captains quarter in the station.

Also show me please how i can exit my rover on planetary surfaces and walk around on  foot.

And while you are at it ... do that on something else than a barren moon without an atmosphere. Thank you very much.

Have fun
    MadFrenchie
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Erillion said:
    Failed?

Elite Dangerous is still working on expanding the planetary landing system, plus more (including multi-crew ships).  Why would you say it's failed to provide that feature? 

Also show me please how i can exit my rover on planetary surfaces and walk around on  foot.

And while you are at it ... do that on something else than a barren moon without an atmosphere. Thank you very much.

Have fun
    Show me a release.
    EponyxDamorJamesGoblinBeansnBreadKyleranVrika

Erillion said:
    Failed?

Have fun
    Show me a release.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13233-Hangar-Module-Released

It's released, just not finished, much like ED it's an ongoing development except that Star Citizen can maintain it's development going without giving a 30% cut to steam or make you pay more to access the extra features that have been adding like FPS, EVA; Space Landings, +Ship's and will add during it's development ;)

EponyxDamor
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    pfft.
    Babuinix said:
    Erillion said:
    Failed?

Have fun
    Show me a release.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13233-Hangar-Module-Released

It's released, just not finished, much like ED it's an ongoing development except that Star Citizen can maintain it's development going without giving a 30% cut to steam or make you pay more to access the extra features that have been adding like FPS, EVA; Space Landings, +Ship's and will add during it's development ;)

That's one way of looking at it.  Nothing inherently wrong with it, but I will offer the alternative point of view:

Elite has created the base game with much less resources, provided that to backers in a polished form as a complete game, and are now using the continued revenue from that game to build on the vision they have.  Backers have a complete game, Frontier has continued funds to add more of their vision to the game.

And I'm not sure Star Citizen backers should ever be attempting to call out the barrier to entry of any other title, considering that Star Citizen is approaching the ranks of the most expensive titles ever developed, and it's pretty much 100% on the wallets of the consumer.
    EponyxDamorbwwianakiev

edited December 2017
    Babuinix said:
    Erillion said:
    Failed?

Have fun
    Show me a release.

That's one way of looking at it.  Nothing inherently wrong with it, but I will offer the alternative point of view:

Elite has created the base game with much less resources, provided that to backers in a polished form as a complete game, and are now using the continued revenue from that game to build on the vision they have.  Backers have a complete game, Frontier has continued funds to add more of their vision to the game.

And I'm not sure Star Citizen backers should ever be attempting to call out the barrier to entry of any other title, considering that Star Citizen is approaching the ranks of the most expensive titles ever developed, and it's pretty much 100% on the wallets of the consumer.
    Maybe for you it's complete lol, that's one way to look at it.
    But for others it's as bare-bones, uninspiring and unengaging as it was in 2014 when it released.
    That's why it's sales flopped and they had to turn to console market for more revenue. Yearly Season's were abandoned, wasted time/money on CQC and then abandoned it, Powerplay is useless, a shallow excuse of "multicrew", Engeniers added a Pay2Win aspect behind a RNG boring and repetitive grind. Planets got downgraded to oblivion. Only thing that works flawlessly is the holome mechanic to sell cosmetics lol

People keep asking for space legs, atmo landings, eva and fps in the forum but are soon realising that it will never happen. They are still focusing in trying to improve the base mechanics that they released half asset lol. If you think ED will "build on the vision they have" power to you, I'm sure won't go on the Elite thread joke about how it's never going to happen trust me. ;)
    JamesGoblin
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Even if I agreed with your opinions, SC is shit in comparison right now.
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    Erillion said:
    Failed?

Have fun
    Show me a release.

Maybe for you it's complete lol, that's one way to look at it.
    But for others it's as bare-bones, uninspiring and unengaging as it was in 2014 when it released.
    That's why it's sales flopped and they had to turn to console market for more revenue. Yearly Season's were abandoned, wasted time/money on CQC and then abandoned it, Powerplay is useless, a shallow excuse of "multicrew", Engeniers added a Pay2Win aspect behind a RNG boring and repetitive grind. Planets got downgraded to oblivion. Only thing that works flawlessly is the holome mechanic to sell cosmetics lol

People keep asking for space legs, atmo landings, eva and fps in the forum but are soon realising that it will never happen. They are still focusing in trying to improve the base mechanics that they released half asset lol. If you think ED will "build on the vision they have" power to you, I'm sure won't go on the Elite thread joke about how it's never going to happen trust me. ;)
    No, you'll just joke here on MMORPG.com like all the SC haters do, yet claim moral superiority over them.
    Babuinix

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited December 2017
    there is pay to win and then star citizen PAY to....not have a real game that is finished LOL..Can't wait for legislation to get made about loot boxes and micro OR major transactions ( what has people paid for ships )

this is gonna nail a ton of actions a lot a companies are currently getting away with....

Babuinix
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    there is pay to win and then star citizen PAY to....not have a real game that is finished LOL..Can't wait for legislation to get made about loot boxes and micro OR major transactions ( what has people paid for ships )

this is gonna nail a ton of actions a lot a companies are currently getting away with....

You probably won't see major legislation about crowd funding unless a major disaster happens, since that's what it usually takes to spur laws into action.  Although like I said in that other thread, Star Citizen has the potential to be that disaster depending on how things go.
    Even if I agreed with your opinions, SC is shit in comparison right now.
    Well I don't think SC is shit compared with ED because it's not "released and polished" and neither is ED shit compared with SC because it doesn't provide space legs, eva, fps and many other things that players have come to expect.

There's one thing to be critical there's another to be an hypocrite, which is what we get here mostly because some enjoy to pick on SC while "ignoring" their favourite game's flaw's lol

That's what I mean when I refer to people highly invested emotionally in hating Star Citizen, their levels of scrutiny and nitpicking are only applied to it while the rest of the gaming scene is ignored lol

It's like they had a huge crush on Chris Roberts and his idea for Star Citizen and since it's not heading the direction they expected they feel he betrayed them so now they are seeking revenge at all cost, lunacy included.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited December 2017
    The article touched on this. . and I agree. . . . these aren't "micro" transactions when most are more than the base game.   Shouldn't we be saying 'in-game purchases' or something else?  To me micro transactions are maybe $1 to $5 in a $50 base game.   It at least means in a F2P game that they are small transactions that add up etc.  These are fairly large amounts most people are taking about. . . but then MMO :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Babuinix said:
    The only games/studios that could do something remotely within the scope and fidelity of what Star Citizen is doing would be Blizzard (Starcraft MMO) , Activision (Destiny as a proper MMOFPS), EA (Star Wars or Anthem as MMORPG), Rockstart (Space GTA) or Ubisoft with Beyond Good & Evil.

Small studios since they have little resources they are forever stuck with unidimensional games like Kerbal, Space Engeniers, Elite, Everspace, Hellium and many other Early Access games.

There's nothing wrong with their business model because not everyone has the luck to get so much backing that it allows for such an increase of scope and consequent lengthy development process.

Making a (good) game is hard, releasing a game is extremely hard but even more difficult is to get the attention of the gaming community and consequent support strong enough to allow you to continue and improve said game. Star Citizen already has plenty of media awareness, a huge community backing it so they can make the game at their own pace without the need to rush anything.

That's why they already have most of the features in place that other games will probably take half a decade to achieve if they can survive until then.
    umm no they couldnt because it cant be done, and he has proven it because they have already downgraded the scope a dozen times. Even with 170 million he cant invent ways to make it work, he has tried (apparently)

either way its almost a month since 3.0 released for people to see, and its still as broken and buggy (moreso in some cases) than it was the first day it came out. Nothing different has been added (which is good because they cant get what they have working)

They just had an 8 million (allegedly) dollar influx of cash there were also a lot of refunds given out (coincidence?) That 8 mill will get them to Valentines day maybe, but they have their 'holiday' sale they should make another couple million there (allegedly) and they will have some make believe movies disguised as 'gameplay' and add a few more jpegs maybe a moon or two for sale. Who knows these guys have gone right off the reservation lately.

It will be entertaining nonetheless.
    CIG? Downgraded scope?
    Oh this is entertaining already (allegedly). :D
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited December 2017
    SC's funding has nothing to do with gamble loot boxes or gambling in general.

That said, I do have a different concern though. I highly suspect that SC will go the way of GTA 5 Online's way of funding (introducing oldschool hardcore Korean F2P MMO grind).

Introducing all these shiny new toys that you can buy for real money or 'earn' ingame. The earning consists of a sweatshop kind of grind and required hours for everything because it will be ridiculously expensive to buy with ingame credits. Only doable by people who are willing to waste countless of hours to repeat the same thing over and over. But of course, you don't have to buy these spaceships/land claims or even grind for them :p

Anyway, gameplay mechanics to slow your progress enough to ensure that those cash shop items become very attractive.

No one will believe me ofc, just make sure to remember this when it happens :p (oh and this is me being positive and believe they release an actual complete game)
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Babuinix said:
    CIG? Downgraded scope?
    Oh this is entertaining already (allegedly). :D
    Oh theyre still trying to sell it as the biggest thing ever but he has said there are things theyre not going to be able to get in the game that they claimed they could at one point.

I know everyone wants to forget that "MVP'' video but it really does exist, unless it was Mandella Effected away.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Erillion said:
    Failed?

Have fun
    Show me a release.
    Elite Dangerous was released on 16th Dec 2014.

THERE is your release.

Because everything i talked above refers to E:D. And it has failed so far to provide those features.

Have fun

PS:
    In Star Citizen i can do those things. Even now in Alpha.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Erillion said:
    >>> You haven't answered my question about how Star Citizen at present is a massively larger game in scope than what was pitched in the Kickstarter. >>>

I have.

If one has a project that got some 100+ ADDITIONAL stretch goals added to the initial Kickstarter pitch, this is called "massively larger in scope".

>>> because the game barely resembles what was pitched on Kickstarter, >>>

Lets judge that when the game launches, shall we not ?

>>>> Fundamentally, it's a space combat game where you can move around inside your spaceship and also land on planets. >>>>

Something we have all been waiting for since Star Wars Galaxies, and which many have tried and failed since then, including EVE and E:D

>>> A minimum viable product with 5 to 10 star systems planned at launch? >>>

Why post only one link and not the other, with the clarification ?!

http://massivelyop.com/2017/07/27/star-citizen-star-system-count-clarification/

Have fun
    By the way, I gave you an "insightful" but I'd just like to point out that the massivelyop article, a site which tends to be grossly in favor of Star Citizen thanks to the editors, doesn't really clear up the question of how many star systems SC will have at launch.

It quotes the devs saying 'well, what we really meant is that SC will be ready for a wider audience by the time we have 5 to 10 star systems but we are still planning on adding the rest of them eventually'.

There is also this gem from the comments:

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I can't say I'm surprised to see it on this list. I am curious how their payment model will look once the game goes live however. 
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Babuinix said:
    Erillion said:
    Failed?

Have fun
    Show me a release.

You do know that the elite's player base is very unhappy with how the game has developed. Shallow and horizons was a dissapointment-600 hours in Elite myself. I got my monies worth but I expected more. Even Hideo Kojima said a really interesting thing recently.

“There’s been a lot of stuff going on through this time, so it makes me pretty sad when people say ‘Oh, you’re just having fun and joking around and wasting money.’ You could ask so many people, but I really think that I’m doing this pretty fast. If you have a company, if you already have an engine, you already have the tools and the team together, and even then, it’s pretty standard for a AAA game to take three to five years to develop their games. For some games, it can take up to 10 years.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/11/kojima-explains-death-stranding-gameplay-and-lore
    Babuinix
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    You do know that the elite's player base is very unhappy with how the game has developed. Shallow and horizons was a dissapointment-600 hours in Elite myself.
    Is it? And what would this observation be based on, the forum posts by a minority being used as conclusive evidence for the majority? Because that would be rather silly.

It's strange that people can get 600 hours out of a computer game and call it a disappointment. If it was so disappointing why did you play for 600 hours?

I got my monies worth but I expected more.
    600 hours but you expected more :) I believe this is what most people would refer to as entitlement.
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    I love seeing Star Citizen under heavy attack, it usually means something amazing in SC is just about to be revealed!

8 DAYS TO GO! 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Orinori said:
    I love seeing Star Citizen under heavy attack, it usually means something amazing in SC is just about to be revealed!

8 DAYS TO GO! 
    The only information they could share which would fall into the amazing category would be projected release dates for SQ42.

Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon