Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - Our TwitchCon 2017 Chat with Brad McQuaid & Corey LeFever - MMORPG.co

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imagePantheon: Rise of the Fallen - Our TwitchCon 2017 Chat with Brad McQuaid & Corey LeFever - MMORPG.com

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is a group-focused MMORPG based on challenging gameplay and open world high fantasy. During Twitchcon I was able to sit down and talk with Brad McQuaid (Visionary Realm Chief Creative Officer) and Corey LeFever (Visionary Realms Senior Game Designer) and talk about their game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Not an mmorpg unless there is ganking,period. Don't make the same mistake twice in the shoving pvp iinto Vanguard instead of making it organically part of the game.

After reading this its pretty clear PVP will be added in rather than a core pillar.

Samhael

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Not an mmorpg unless there is ganking,period. Don't make the same mistake twice in the shoving pvp iinto Vanguard instead of making it organically part of the game.
    Well, that's certainly an opinion. In any case, it won't be part of the games "organic" development.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I wasn't ever sold on this old-school throwback type of mmo, especially after we've been spoiled and ruined by the instant-gratification, p2w, action combat, improved graphics, etc. mmo's of late. Yet, without pvp being a integral part of the game I can now say for sure I am not interested at all. Best of luck to them and those it appeals to though.
    EmberSmyth
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • roalandroaland Member UncommonPosts: 185
    I'm glad they are pointing towards different servers. So all the PvP people can have their go at it and the other people who don't wanna bother with PvP can enjoy the game also. Personally I like the RP servers.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]ElrandirMrMelGibsonThupliSlyLoK[Deleted User]TacticalZombehOyjordDaranar
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Sovrath said:
    Well, that's certainly an opinion. In any case, it won't be part of the games "organic" development.
    VR has said they will be able to tweak PvP abilities and stats independently from how they work in PvE. So if something gets nerfed for PvP balancing, it won't mess with PvE. That is an improvement over how Vanguard PvP was.
    KyleranKilsinMrMelGibsonTacticalZombehHaplos
    --------------------------------------------
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    The pvp server will be the first to die if any do. They become a wasteland in less than a year usually.
    SpottyGekkoSamhaelKyleranForgrimmWarlyxGeekyMrMelGibsonSlyLoKqoma[Deleted User]and 6 others.

Sovrath said:
    VR has said they will be able to tweak PvP abilities and stats independently from how they work in PvE. So if something gets nerfed for PvP balancing, it won't mess with PvE. That is an improvement over how Vanguard PvP was.
    Well there you go.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

edited December 2017
    Fangrim said:
    The pvp server will be the first to die if any do. They become a wasteland in less than a year usually.
    As PVP is usually just "enabled" for many PVE centric MMORPGs such as this rather than "designed in " the outcome is understandable.

MrMelGibsonscooby1971

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

They keep saying the focus of the game is grouping in small groups of up to six people.  However, the inescapable reality is that if multi-group raiding yields the best equipment then raiding WILL become the focus of the game.

In any game wherein the entire motivation for playing is to progress your character---whatever activity results in the furthest progression will eventually become the entire focus of the game.

So far I haven't seen anything from them saying that raiding won't result in the best rewards (furthest progression) so it would seem that despite talking about a focus on grouping they are still dead set on making a game that's really all about multi-group raiding.

ThupliMendel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Does crafting sound exactly like EQ2's system?  From what it sounds like, material components will once again end up being far more valuable than the crafted object.  A Stinking Rat Pelt shouldn't sell for 4 million, while the Rat Pelt Cloak made from it only sells for a hundred.  That's basic economics.

There's still a mystery about who is going to play this thing.  There's a real sense of 'Field of Dreams' going on at VR, I think.  Brad seems to believe that there's some mass market out there just waiting for Pantheon.  I'd like to believe that, but it seems contrary to the observations I am able to make.  Anyway, you have to admire Brad's belief, even if you personally believe otherwise. 

Can there be a VR interview without Brad?  I almost feel sorry for Corey; he got about one sentence, then Brad got 10.  My interpretation of the one topic where Corey got roughly equal footing was on crafting.  I kind of suspect that Corey has more input into crafting.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Does crafting sound exactly like EQ2's system?  From what it sounds like, material components will once again end up being far more valuable than the crafted object.  A Stinking Rat Pelt shouldn't sell for 4 million, while the Rat Pelt Cloak made from it only sells for a hundred.  That's basic economics.

There's still a mystery about who is going to play this thing.  There's a real sense of 'Field of Dreams' going on at VR, I think.  Brad seems to believe that there's some mass market out there just waiting for Pantheon.  I'd like to believe that, but it seems contrary to the observations I am able to make.  Anyway, you have to admire Brad's belief, even if you personally believe otherwise. 

Can there be a VR interview without Brad?  I almost feel sorry for Corey; he got about one sentence, then Brad got 10.  My interpretation of the one topic where Corey got roughly equal footing was on crafting.  I kind of suspect that Corey has more input into crafting.
    I don't think he believes there is a "mass market" just a market. So certainly not World of Warcraft Numbers or Elder Scrolls online numbers. Probably more in line with original Everquest or Vanguard. At least I haven't seen anything he has said to intimate there is a huge market out there just waiting for this game.

If that is the case, and he has mentioned a million plus people then those expectations seriously need to be re-examined.

As far as the "who" will be playing it: "me". I will play it. I will drop my current mmorpg's and play it. I will pay a sub and do so gladly provided they create a game that is what they say it is. And that's it's not so buggy as to make it actually unplayable. And I mean "unplayable". Not "there's a bug that keeps changing my cloak's color. Because that's just annoyance and I can easily deal with annoyance.
    Hrimnir[Deleted User]PottedPlant22Thupli[Deleted User]MadFrenchieDaranar

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I can't wait. This will be so much fun.
    BruceYeesarielisGeeky[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Mendel said:

I'm pretty sure if you read anything they have said about it, they are targeting a niche audience from the get go and invited those interested in old school style. Don't think anyone said other wise really.

Also what server did you play in eq2? Don't think I ever saw mats costing more than the product other than in a very few instances.. but a couple out of hundreds isn't the norm...
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    1 of the very few games I have any hopes or interest in.
    GeekyThupli[Deleted User]DaranarSiug
    Just realized this:

"BRAD: The plan is to have basic mounts. It'll help with speed with a buff. Then you get saddle bags and things which will help you. Because the banks are not global."

Don't know if I heard and forgot but I don't remember the localized banking. THAT IS AWESOME!
    [Deleted User]PottedPlant22[Deleted User]
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    I am really looking forward to this game. I miss the old ways...
    Geeky[Deleted User]
  • roalandroaland Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Just realized this:

"BRAD: The plan is to have basic mounts. It'll help with speed with a buff. Then you get saddle bags and things which will help you. Because the banks are not global."

Don't know if I heard and forgot but I don't remember the localized banking. THAT IS AWESOME!
    that would make all the main towns important, not some main hub everyone gravitates towards. Cool idea and I'm not against it but I can also see it being a pain to get used to after so many games having world banks.
    PottedPlant22MrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

roaland said:

Just realized this:

that would make all the main towns important, not some main hub everyone gravitates towards. Cool idea and I'm not against it but I can also see it being a pain to get used to after so many games having world banks.

Spot on. Curious how all this will go down. The best thing that could happen for this game is the people that really like it show up first. Hopefully there will be enough for them to continue development and make a profit. Then have more people trickle in. I think part of the problem with big releases back in the day is congestion and trying to appease everyone. If they can handle server load at launch and the majority of the player base is on the same page at launch (pro localized banks, old style mmo etc,) I think people will adjust. Heck the fact that it is a pain to travel so far is what will make the prices go up. Maybe people could even caravan?

Perhaps the most dangerous thing that could happen to Pantheon is to get too big before launch. Mass congestion can cause server crashes/instability. A bunch of people with different expectations (many not looking for this kind of game) will start petitioning for changes on the forums. We will start to see the same drama unfold that has plagued numerous games in the post Vanilla WoW era.
    ThupliBruceYeeroalandDaranar
    Just realized this:

Makes me wonder if there will be a speed class..

roaland said:
    Just realized this:

If EVE is any indication, players will gravitate to a select group of convienent locations for reasons not entirely understood. 
    BruceYee

Kyleran said:
    Just realized this:

Makes me wonder if there will be a speed class..

Ohh I'm sure there will be some sort of speed buff. Shaman/druid SoW type thing, bard speed song. Gotta be something similar here.
    roaland said:
    Just realized this:

Big time, its not that this is hard but its a different way. It can be infuriating when you forget something was in another city and you needed it. After a few days you will get used to it though.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Kyleran said:
    Fangrim said:
    As PVP is usually just "enabled" for many PVE centric MMORPGs such as this rather than "designed in " the outcome is understandable.

i agree,it gets really old seeing every PvE from the ground up game force PvP into a game not designed for it. no one should be surprised at all when the PvP becomes a side show just to check some box off.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    As one of the only pve games out there, I think this has a chance for a lot of success, depending on how hard it is to play without a full group of 6...
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

roaland said:

Just realized this:

This is just my opinion but I think in Albion regional banks suck something awful but that could be because of the way the world was designed with one capital city. It may work well if there are a few big cities that players hang around for various reasons like crafting or grouping but who knows.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    So not an mmorpg unless you can be a Dick in it.  Gotcha, glad people like you won't be ruining other people's fun.
    sarielisXarkoFangrim[Deleted User]TacticalZombehDeathtognomesOyjordJunglecharlyKyleranThupliand 4 others.