Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For the Second Time in Two Weeks, Bungie Admits to Development Blunders - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFor the Second Time in Two Weeks, Bungie Admits to Development Blunders - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

Destiny 2 News - For the second time in two weeks, Bungie has admitted that it is damaging its reputation with the Destiny 2 community. First it was the squelching of end-game experience gains, now it is the recent issue of locking activities behind a DLC pay wall. The Power Level requirements for Trials of the Nine, Prestige Leviathan, and Prestige Nightfall were raised sufficiently to exclude players without the Curse of Osiris DLC. "These plans", admits Bungie, "aren't working."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017
    I'm sure Bungie didn't seriously think that people would be excited about getting less game for the same price just because a DLC comes out and locks some of existing content behind it. From what I hear though, Destiny one did the same thing with Taken King or something? But I think it also had a lot longer of a time from coming out after vanilla Destiny before it did, if it did. This game is less than 3 months old and is pulling something like this.
    Thupli
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Added bonus, Lens is getting nerfed to the ground and won't receive a proper fix until January.

Would love if they'd have addressed other issues with the DLC, like the lack of content and the underwhelming content that is there, not to mention issues like there still be no updates on PC chat solutions. Baby steps, I guess : /
    EponyxDamor
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited December 2017
    as a non-destiny 2 player i dont understand , is because they added a new lvl cap? so now in order to do the raid content u need the dlc or u are unable to do it?
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited December 2017

Warlyx said:

as a non-destiny 2 player i dont understand , is because they added a new lvl cap? so now in order to do the raid content u need the dlc or u are unable to do it?

Added a new level cap, essentially, and changed the requirement on the only raid included in the base game to correlate with the new level cap.

As a result, if you do not purchase the new DLC, you cannot participate in content that you could previously participate in.

(Or something to that effect. Not 100% positive, as I moved on from D2 two weeks after launch when my friends did.)

Warlyx said:

Added a new level cap, essentially, and changed the requirement on the only raid included in the base game to correlate with the new level cap.

As a result, if you do not purchase the new DLC, you cannot participate in content that you could previously participate in.

(Or something to that effect. Not 100% positive, as I moved on from D2 two weeks after launch when my friends did.)
    I think it extended to other stuff too like strikes. So the only real 'content' the DLC added was a level cap increase and locking you out of old stuff you used to be able to do before it.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Albatroes said:

Warlyx said:

I think it extended to other stuff too like strikes. So the only real 'content' the DLC added was a level cap increase and locking you out of old stuff you used to be able to do before it.
    I heard that, but wasn't sure. The only think I knew for sure was the change to the raid. If it includes strikes/playlists as well, then Bungie really needs a reality check. After the whole EXP throttling debacle, they should've been a bit more careful with their decisions.

I also heard that the majority (all?) new color palettes/ornaments/armor skins/sparrows/ships come exclusively from the Bright Engram vendor, which is kinda silly as well, IMO.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Do developers actually play games anymore or do they just make them and stay in a bubble of parents and friends? 

These decisions are scoundrel level. The admissions/responses are so hilarious.

I've been flipping the bird at Bungie since Destiny 1 because they teased PC release then pulled back AND trolled. Now they're doing this foolishness and apologizing for getting caught.

I can never buy Destiny 2 now. Not after all that. They deserve whatever business Ls and failings come their way.
    NordicApache
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I really liked the look of the new zones but I agree with what most said and I like destiny. I think its maybe 4 hours of content.. that's with afks and kid interruptions. new map for raids, new map for pvp but no new modes which was my biggest complaint. I wont buy the next dlc unless there is something worth it.
    Albatroes said:

Warlyx said:

I heard that, but wasn't sure. The only think I knew for sure was the change to the raid. If it includes strikes/playlists as well, then Bungie really needs a reality check. After the whole EXP throttling debacle, they should've been a bit more careful with their decisions.

I also heard that the majority (all?) new color palettes/ornaments/armor skins/sparrows/ships come exclusively from the Bright Engram vendor, which is kinda silly as well, IMO.
    I believe that's true as well on colors as well as being consumable, so you better like that thing you want to dye lol.

But one thing to keep in mind is that I think this is more Activision than Bungie. Many publishers have been known to pressure developers to put in such practices like these, like what SE did with the last Deus Ex and of course EA pretty much shutting down Visceral because their titles weren't geared towards optimal post-launch microtransactions.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Maybe Nauri is right after all. Let someone else pay for this crap. Maybe I'll start hopping from game to game. How many other publishers are pulling this kind of bullshit with the players to milk them.....I've already stopped playing several for milking players.

bah.....whatever.
    RemyVorenderThupli[Deleted User]
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736
    I love seeing mmorpg staff realize the shitty practice of destiny 2
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I love seeing mmorpg staff realize the shitty practice of destiny 2
    Didn't stop them from rating this Xpac an 80 which is the only critic review of it on Metacritic in the green zone out of 17 reviews.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]AlomarEponyxDamorNilden
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Very odds news because what i have seen is that gamer's have been buying up these popularity games by the millions with no care for bad design or anything.
    Sure some might complain later in forums but they already bought the game and made Bungie rich.
    So complaining and admission after already taking everyone's money does nothing for the industry because guess what,D3 comes out this site will be all over it with marketing reviews/threads galore and people will still buy it without even looking first.
    BruceYeeNordicApache

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    The problems of being a publicly traded company?!!
  • nondogg13nondogg13 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    was so excited to see destiny 2 going to pc because my preferred control is mouse and keyboard. i bought just the base game because i didnt really have the money to spend at the time. slowly as the release date approached i regretted not getting deluxe. got to say in hind sight now i am very happy blizzard or bungie aren't going to get anymore money from me(well for this trash game at least)
    BruceYee
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited December 2017

Albatroes said:

I'm sure Bungie didn't seriously think that people would be excited about getting less game for the same price just because a DLC comes out and locks some of existing content behind it. From what I hear though, Destiny one did the same thing with Taken King or something? But I think it also had a lot longer of a time from coming out after vanilla Destiny before it did, if it did. This game is less than 3 months old and is pulling something like this.

Taken King was a full blown expansion (and a very good one... one of my favorites in D1), not a DLC. So then it was excusable since the level cap was raised to 30 and that high end activities increased accordingly. On par with every other MMO out there.

With a DLC however, that just releases 2-3 months after launch.... that's a bit stingy.
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Should have just given us all DLC for free. This season pass crap should of never happened. 
    Murmaider
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    As an indie developer I understand how hard it is to make games, but not knowing how bad of a call it is to come out with a move like this seems like borderline willful ignorance. It's kind of obvious how terrible this was going to play so I have to think they just thought they could get away with it. With the way they're going, people are just going to lump them in with EA and that sure won't end well for them.
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299

Wizardry said:

Very odds news because what i have seen is that gamer's have been buying up these popularity games by the millions with no care for bad design or anything.
    Sure some might complain later in forums but they already bought the game and made Bungie rich.
    So complaining and admission after already taking everyone's money does nothing for the industry because guess what,D3 comes out this site will be all over it with marketing reviews/threads galore and people will still buy it without even looking first.

I think you're underestimating the importance of retaining customer loyalty in a game like theirs. They still have another DLC planned for this title and are severely hampering their ability to make a profit from it.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Issues with new content and what players need to do to be able to access are age old. I think this is part of the 'chance your arm' approach which seems to be gaming publishers default financial strategy. You try and get away with milking your players as much as possible, if you get away with it no problem, if you don't you do a roll back.

This is no different from what we have seen in MMORPG cash shops for years now. Gaming ethos has been replace by cash ethos, and our games suffer consequently.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    cjmarsh said:

I think you're underestimating the importance of retaining customer loyalty in a game like theirs. They still have another DLC planned for this title and are severely hampering their ability to make a profit from it.
    Tricky.

Bungee are paid by Activision Blizzard - although I am sure that how much money they get will have some link to how many copies sell. 

Which begs the question: "Why have they done this?" Its not the sort of thing that Bungee have done previously so is it something that results from whatever deal they have with AB?
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    and ppl still buy this and defend it lol

l2p

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    JeroKane said:

Albatroes said:

Taken King was a full blown expansion (and a very good one... one of my favorites in D1), not a DLC. So then it was excusable since the level cap was raised to 30 and that high end activities increased accordingly. On par with every other MMO out there.

With a DLC however, that just releases 2-3 months after launch.... that's a bit stingy.
    No, not really like other MMOs out there.

When other MMOs do expansions, it's only the new content that requires the new max level. Any previous content from the base game or previous expansions keeps the old level requirements.

All of the previous WOW end-game raids for example, are still there with their old requirements. They are just no longer "end game" raids.

I'm not aware of any MMOs that do it the way Bungie tried to do this.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited December 2017
    Bungie is being generous and is gonna hot fix curse of osiris to give people access to the old content they paid for when they bought the base game! Its a miracle!

....Oh Bungie~ (Activision....)!
    Post edited by Albatroes on
    NordicApache
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205

Rhoklaw said:

Thank you Bungie for changing your system req. specs 5 days before launch, allowing me a clean getaway with a $100 refund.

If there's one thing (outside shooting) that Destiny 2 does very well, is how it runs on PC. I have 2 PCs. One is new 8700K+1070Ti, and another is old FX 8350+GTX 970. I can play the game at maxed settings on both, with the FX CPU dropping to 50 fps in social hubs or during very intensive events with 10 players running around and lots of enemies. Obviously the new rig can do 180 fps if needed or 4K, but that's not the point, the point is that the game looks very good and runs very well even on a weak CPU from 6 years ago.