Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Player DDOSes Teammates to Secure Raid Spot for World First Hunt - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.co

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    With couple of million players you are going to get some deranged lunatics, at least he didn't kill guild members to secure a raid spot.
    BruceYee
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    DMKano said:
     we dont know all the details.
    Yeah he is probably an innocent sweet boy and his guild just decided to make him look bad by making up random stories.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    edited December 2017
    I do not think Prison is the answer. A ban from WOW may be in order, but I am sure no one in the guild will have anything to do with him ever again .. and he will be toxic for any other guild to have.
    By his own actions he has made a mess of his game life and even his real life. To gain this achievement .. I hope he is happy with the cost.
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:
    Yeah he is probably an innocent sweet boy and his guild just decided to make him look bad by making up random stories.

Hey you brought up this going to court.

So now you dont care about the legal process and will throw "innocent until proven guilty" out of the window?

Accusation is not proof.

Now you are just grasping straws.
    They did say that he announced the ip in another discord channel.

But hey surely they can't prove any of that.
    Jakdstripper
    Harbinger of Fools
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    Delete his account.

Bingo
    If I was blizzard I would make a video of a GM hitting his Character with a DELETE ACCOUNT hammer to make an example out of him.   :)   
    MrMelGibson
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

You want to send a kid who s 5min late to school to prison too?

You should really stop making comparisons - they are always off.

A kid being late to the bus is just a slight mishap because something came up.
    Hacking another person is a crime.
     Let's be clear here, he didn't "hack" anyone. He sent a bait link which he probably purchased online, that automatically floods the ip of anyone who clicks it. This is the equivalent of the old HTML webpages which would take over your browser till you end the process.  Some idiot not getting internet till they manually change their ip is not something anyone should go to jail over. 

I guess I'm not surprised someone would suggest it though, while people are getting put in jail for twitter posts in some Countries. Glad I don't live in one of them, I hope it stays that way.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited December 2017
    Ddosing seems to be the new rage kid trolling past time. Even in dead ass games like Mortal Online people ddossed the server to avoid a siege on their keep.... and there are maybe 300 people on average playing this game.... Kids these days are so effing retarded.
    Just wait till one of these kids is the new president of a nuclear superpower.....
    DakeruSlapshot1188[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonConstantineMerus
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

Prison is a bit much. Community service would be much more appropriate. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    DMKano said:
    Never understimate the lengths some players will go to ensure they win
    If only he could have bought his spot in the raid with real cash... or maybe have won it in a lootbox this would never have happened!

SBFordMrMelGibson
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

Prison is a bit much. Community service would be much more appropriate. 
    How about turn off his internet access for a month.    That would make him really spastic.  
    Realizer said:
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

Let's be clear here, he didn't "hack" anyone. He sent a bait link which he probably purchased online, that automatically floods the ip of anyone who clicks it. This is the equivalent of the old HTML webpages which would take over your browser till you end the process.  Some idiot not getting internet till they manually change their ip is not something anyone should go to jail over. 

I guess I'm not surprised someone would suggest it though, while people are getting put in jail for twitter posts in some Countries. Glad I don't live in one of them, I hope it stays that way.
    Don't give me that political bullshit.
    You are deflecting like Kano does all the time.

For a year now I have kept a close eye on a Turkish reporter who was arrested for writing an article where a resistance group hacked a minister.
    The minister is related to the president so the reporter was arrested for "spreading terrorist propaganda" and has been in jail for a year now without ever getting a trial.

THAT sort of thing has nothing to do with punks like this kid.

Also @Everyone I never said jail I said he deserves a punishment.
    How else would he ever feel the consequences of doing something bad?

In my country if a kid seriously fucks up and the shrinks feel that he is on the way to become a criminal in adulthood then the judge can give an alternative sentence of 1 week in jail as disciplinary measure.

Those who faced this 1 week detention said it changed them for the better because warnings and scoldings meant nothing to them.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    DMKano said:
    Never understimate the lengths some players will go to ensure they win
    True, but if they cheat to win they didn't actually win ... they cheated.
    I'd agree, but I also feel that way about buying your win which others feel fine about.  To some people the end result DOES justify the means.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Dakeru said:
    Realizer said:
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

Don't give me that political bullshit.
    You are deflecting like Kano does all the time.

For a year now I have kept a close eye on a Turkish reporter who was arrested for writing an article where a resistance group hacked a minister.
    The minister is related to the president so the reporter was arrested for "spreading terrorist propaganda" and has been in jail for a year now without ever getting a trial.

THAT sort of thing has nothing to do with punks like this kid.

Also @Everyone I never said jail I said he deserves a punishment.
    How else would he ever feel the consequences of doing something bad?

In my country if a kid seriously fucks up and the shrinks feel that he is on the way to become a criminal in adulthood then the judge can give an alternative sentence of 1 week in jail as disciplinary measure.

Those who faced this 1 week detention said it changed them for the better because warnings and scoldings meant nothing to them.
     Sure that's great for the kid who beats another to a pulp, or steals something. Sending someone a ddos link is a far cry from anything that should warrant my tax money paying for the punishment.

This social justice for non crimes is the reason Internet Freedom is dying a slow and certain death. That's not a deflection it's the truth. 
    Realizer said:

This social justice for non crimes is the reason Internet Freedom is dying a slow and certain death. That's not a deflection it's the truth. 
    Yeah because we should all protect our valuable right to send viral links to others.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    What a tool...lol
    SBFordMrMelGibson
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Dakeru said:
    Realizer said:

Yeah because we should all protect our valuable right to send viral links to others.
    I'm not against what you have been arguing but I do have to say, people should know better than to click links people send. 

DDoS has been a big problem with gaming for a while. If you play competitive shooters (not just through the client but though MLG or Gamebattles or CAL ) you have probably encountered someone DDoSing servers. I've played in matches where someone would flood our team mates over and over until we gave up on connecting and they automatically get counted as a win and you have to fight with customer service to hope they will refute their win. 

I don't think there should be any insane punishment but some form of punishment should occur. 

If someone is DDoSing a huge company like when Lizard Squad bought those botnets to take down Microsoft and Sony's online platform then you are doing something illegal, and that should have jail time. But if you send a link to a couple people and take down their internet it's not nearly as big of a scope, even if it is a shitty thing to do. I say ban his account and give him some form of community service or parole type of punishment. Or just take away his internet for a period of time. 
    DakeruRealizerMrMelGibson
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    "Adois, one of the guild's accomplished healers"  the article stated he was probably the worst player in the guild, hence definitely NOT accomplished.

Getting bounced out of the guild and getting your renown splashed all over the internet is more than enough punishment.  No raiding guild will touch him now.  The drama in these raiding guilds is amazing.  Main reason I will never raid again.
    SBFordd_20MrMelGibson
     Most major companies have learned from the big DDoS attacks from the last few years. They now have ways to make sure an ip doesn't spam connect and isp's are also doing more to mitigate large scale attacks.  Small companies with less to spend on such things may be vulnerable still.  In those cases there should probably be punishment if your respective Country agrees to it.

However, on a personal basis that is between two individuals who know each other like this situation I think the ridicule of getting /gkicked and being an overall idiot is probably enough.
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    edited December 2017

Dakeru said:

DMKano said:

...Hacking another person is a crime.

You are from some country where they still burning witches at stakes?
    Rofl, there is no court which would send you to jail for plain DDoS :D
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Dakeru said:

DMKano said:

...Hacking another person is a crime.

You are from some country where they still burning witches at stakes?
    Rofl, there is no court which would send you to jail for plain DDoS :D
    DDOS is a crime, an you can get jail sentence for DDOS if you do enough:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2268703/man-sentenced-to-jail-for-ddos-attacks-on-police-and-oxbridge-websites
    DakeruMrMelGibson

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    And then he screamed "LEEEEEEROOYYY JEEEEEEENNNNNNKINNNSS!!!!!!!"
    SBFord[Deleted User][Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    edited December 2017

DMKano said:

Dakeru said:

DMKano said:

Dakeru said:

DMKano said:

Hey you brought up this going to court.

So now you dont care about the legal process and will throw "innocent until proven guilty" out of the window?

Accusation is not proof.

Now you are just grasping straws.
    They did say that he announced the ip in another discord channel.

But hey surely they can't prove any of that.

announcing someones public IP is proof that he used a link to get others public IP - this is not a crime

as public IPs are - public, and they belong to your ISPx they are not personal information

you would have to prove that he initiated the ddos - and there is no proof of that - this is why we have courts and trials

Just as a point here:

DDOS attacks are illegal under federal law in the US under CFAA. They have been illegal in the UK since 2006. It doesn't matter what the nature of the attack is, or the target of the attack; if you utilise methodologies that translate into a denial of service for another user, you are committing a federal crime (or just a crime, in the UK). You can, and should, be taken to court. Edit: additionally, there is nothing to stop Limit from taking the player through the civil courts, which requires far less stringent demonstrations of guilt than the criminal courts.

Also, just because an individual suggests that someone should go to court for something does not mean they forfeit their right to ascribe guilt. "Innocent until proven guilty" applies inside a court, not outside of it and it certainly doesn't apply in the way you are suggesting with your fatuous philosophising. This is not a court, therefore we all have the right to ascribe guilt of a crime if we wish to. If he is found to be innocent in a court, or chooses to take up his rights to sue us through civil courts for libel (and is successful in this)... then we lose the right to say he's guilty of committing a crime. Until that time: I have every right to say that he is guilty of a crime. In fact, the entire legal systems of most countries is based on a simple accusation of guilt, followed by an attempted demonstration of guilt. The accusation is assumed to be incorrect until such a time as it is demonstrated to be true, hence "innocent until PROVEN guilty". For example, the police arrest you for committing a crime; they don't arrest you for probably or maybe committing a crime. "You are under arrest for first degree murder", or whatever... and not, "you are under arrest for probably or maybe committing first degree murder, but we're not allowed to say you did it until you are found to have done it in a court of law".
    Dakeruk61977
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I hope it was worth it for him, because now he is going to have to change his name/server and or faction if he ever wants to raid again. And not being able to display that fancy title.......EVER, since it's a dead give away.

"Oh look, who's this Draenei Shaman healer with no history before 12/17 with a world 1st title???????"

Who would invite him to their guild?
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205

DMKano said:

Dakeru said:

DMKano said:

ddos is not hacking

sending a bunch of traffic to home router public ip is what he did

zero hacking

so he should go to prison for this? 

really?

DMKano, you need to educate yourself. DDOSing another person or business is considered a federal crime in the US.

"In the US, denial-of-service attacks may be considered a federal crime under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act with penalties that include years of imprisonment."

Every country has their laws against DDOS attacks. I am making the assumption that the stated player is from the US. It is illegal to DDOS anyone. As such, no matter who they are; should be held accountable for their actions.
    Dakeru
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    edited December 2017
    Don't you think this dudes pathetic life is punishment enough?

A. Hes grinding his life away to be competitive enough to be in one of the worlds top raiding guilds.

B. Despite the fact that his life revolves around WoW he is still only second string maybe even THIRD string in one of the "top guilds" and doesn't even merit a raid spot.

C. He is so butt hurt about his shitty life, and the fact that others are better than him that he is willing to push the people who are probably closest to him (gauging by the amount of time he must spend in WoW) out of the picture so that he can wrongfully take their spot. And earn a pointless achievement. 

I mean come on... Begging in Discord for people to click a link how sad must your life be?

You want a suitable punishment?
    Blizzard should strip the achievement and the title he earned and give him a new title.

Something along the lines of "Biggest Loser" should suffice. And lock it so he can't change it and has to wear it like a brand. Hopefully the kid will quit WoW and get a life and learn to play nice with others in the real world.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson