Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monster Hunter World: Chaos in the Making - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMonster Hunter World: Chaos in the Making - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

After an aeon on handheld consoles, Monster Hunter is making its way back to the big screen in spectacular fashion. With an open beta weekend unleashed, we sent Gareth Harmer to find out more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

derek39

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Dauntless has been making strides, but the King is going to be hard to beat in January...
    DisantiaLeFantomeYashaXWolfyseyesderek39NordicApacherojoArcueid

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Ken1801Ken1801 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Meanwhile here I am, anxiously waiting for the PC date to be confirmed.
    Guess I'll play Gen and 4U to tide me over.
    LeFantome
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    dauntless is garbage , i wish i could refund my moneys
    BruceYee

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    My impression from watching some streams (don't own any console) is you get the most fun out of it playing with some friends. For single player I would probably get bored quite fast. Gameplay is not really very deep. Get some equipment/buffs, go kill monster, rinse and repeat. The fixed 20 minute timer is a little lame too.
    DrDream
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    monster hunter looks ok but not great and Dauntless is going to be free to play and its basically the same game so again we get average stuff for premium money.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    itsover said:
    dauntless is garbage , i wish i could refund my moneys
    Dauntless is an incomplete game still in development, what were you expecting when you put money on it?
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

Ken1801 said:

Meanwhile here I am, anxiously waiting for the PC date to be confirmed.

Guess I'll play Gen and 4U to tide me over.

Yeah, I'll probably be waiting for the PC version. I've not tried the 3DS versions though - need to fix that!
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Hooray for Switch Axe users! They're beastly (or maybe... MONSTROUS?) once you get the hang of them. Every weapon is a potential powerhouse, some just have a steeper learning curve than others.

Waiting until January is gonna suck...
    Tsiya

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50

Anthur said:

My impression from watching some streams (don't own any console) is you get the most fun out of it playing with some friends. For single player I would probably get bored quite fast. Gameplay is not really very deep. Get some equipment/buffs, go kill monster, rinse and repeat. The fixed 20 minute timer is a little lame too.

Probably because it's just a beta. This was pretty much just a test to see how the game/servers run. That 20min timer is a beta thing, it'll be alot bigger in the full game. The gameplay doesn't look "very deep" because none of it's in the beta. The beta doesn't look all that promising to someone who has never played a MH game before. I'd suggest either playing a MH game or watching gameplay of one.
    Tsiya
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited December 2017
    Looking at this, then looking at Dauntless, is like going from Fiber Optic to dial up.
    BruceYeeYashaXSolar_Prophet
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    edited December 2017
    i spare my dauntless $$ for this one, my patience is greatly awarded! one more month to wait! :)
  • WolfyseyesWolfyseyes Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Yep, I'm absolutely sure I'm going to gleefully drown in this one. The "beta" (it was a marketing demo, folks, let's all be real here) showed me enough to know that this is the best in the series yet.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I don't think I'm going to want another game for a long long time, Other than Death Stranding.

I played the beta for 15 hours straight...It's the perfect game for me. Capcom really went above and beyond bringing MH to the current gen!

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

derek39 said:

I don't think I'm going to want another game for a long long time, Other than Death Stranding.

I played the beta for 15 hours straight...It's the perfect game for me. Capcom really went above and beyond bringing MH to the current gen!

Agreed. In the few hours I played, I've had some of the most epic battles I've ever experienced in a video game. My group was fighting a Barroth and chased it into a swampy area, when this giant snake-lizard thing (a new monster I think) popped out of the water and started constricting it. Then a flock of Jaggi showed up. Then a Great Jagras showed up and started eating them. Long story short, it was a fifteen minute four-way slugfest across half the map. It was chaotic, challenging, and so much damned fun! I haven't had that good a time getting the shit kicked out of me since I hired that dominat... err, nevermind.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic