Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Player DDOSes Teammates to Secure Raid Spot for World First Hunt - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.co

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWoW Player DDOSes Teammates to Secure Raid Spot for World First Hunt - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - One of the world's top guilds that is currently in the race for a World of Warcraft world first Argus kill is in the midst of a major controversy. It appears that Adois, one of the guild's accomplished healers, wanted to ensure his team raid spot. In order to secure it, Adois sent spoof links to other guild healers that then started a DDOS sequence to force the healers offline.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Avarix

Comments

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    wow in 2017 |?
    deniterPanther2103
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    World first raiding is serious business! LOL!
    SiugXarkoShodanaspantaro[Deleted User]ZalgotasAsm0deusMadFrenchiewingoodEponyxDamorand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    See what extent people will go to, to get pixels and you wonder whether pixels have value.
    DauzqulpantaroXingbairongwingoodMrMelGibson

• JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    We all inferred that this mission will be futile and we will find nothing. I have a wife and no children. The only other family i have were my grandparents. I said my goodbyes, not as intimate and emotional as i would have expected.

The mission summary was read. The countdown was commenced. We were off to our raid. That asshole couldn't keep his links to himself to save his life. He was a pretentious twat.I was debriefing our dps when i decided out of pure impulsive rage to click the link just to shut him up. He had the capacity to... sorry, this is irrelevant, he just makes me so irritated. I don't want to get to another tirade about him.

Finally, we were standing on uncharted territory untouched by pixel kind, the sensation of tranquility overwhelmed us, we couldn't risk being incarcerated or be put to reset. I had to scrutinize the consequences of my decision. That apathetic waste of breath, i am sure of it now, he was staring at me, analyzing my moves, my gear. Even the devil couldn't achieve creating a pathetic human like him.

Then pure blackness, all the lights of the router went out. The other guild members only had a moment to process what had transpired before their connections turned into white noise. I fucking hate him, i fucking hate Adois.
    bcbullyThupli[Deleted User]Reaperman69wingoodHellsprodigyMrMelGibsonG4NK3DNordicApache
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited December 2017
    That's pretty funny, actually. Do what you gotta do to get the job done! People have been doing stuff like this for years and years... even in games like Unreal Tournament and Quake III. Getting the DDOS during a clan tournament... sigh.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Yeesh, it was a DDOS attack against his own guildmates even, so he's not just a hacker and a cheater, he's also a traitor.  And all they could do was call him "The worse player in Limit"...
    wingoodHellsprodigyMrMelGibson
  • GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114

He can and should go to prison.

RealizerCogohiXarkoTamanousLackingMMOG4NK3D
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Awesome. All he had to do is start laughing and say "what? it was a joke"
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Sense of proportion apparently left him some time ago.
    Just baffled by the distorted do it at any cost paranoia that’s evidenced here
  • 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    People cheat in the Olympics, people cheat taking tests and people cheat playing WoW. It is no surprise that this happened, what it does bring to light is that fact that guilds and communities are falling away from being part of the bigger picture (as a group) and more about be in it for yourself. Sad that someone would put themselves ahead of the other 19 people in the mythic and the guild.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Delete his account.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]wingoodMrMelGibsonG4NK3D
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

DMKano said:

Never understimate the lengths some players will go to ensure they win

It's rumoured that some will even PAY to win...

But that can't be true, of course, because we all know that you cannot "win" in an MMO... ;)
    SBFordOzmodanMrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    "Blizzard sternly warns players to not DDoS other guild members to secure raid spots" Lol I can see a blue post warning about this in the near future.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    DMKano said:

You want to send a kid who s 5min late to school to prison too?

You should really stop making comparisons - they are always off.

A kid being late to the bus is just a slight mishap because something came up.
    Hacking another person is a crime.
    CogohiF2PlagueLackingMMO
    Harbinger of Fools
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
     I could have sworn I read a story years ago about a kid who stole a virtual item from another player in Runescape and was sentenced to jail.  Maybe Im imagining the story. I thought it was in Holland.  Thought the judge's reasoning was it had value to the player and it took time to achieve. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Gaeluian said:

He can and should go to prison.

That would be too harsh sentence.

But he should be reported to police, and if he's an adult fined.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Um yeah but Blizzard doesn't control what goes on outside of their servers, and people shouldn't click links they don't know obviously its very easy to attach an IP logger to a website redirect, or upload an image to a server which contrains the code as soon as the person goes to view it it sends the IP to another server owned by someone else so it can't be traced and then you just launch the attacks obviously there are ways to not get traced back to who you are but I wont post that here but it's really quite simple.
    [Deleted User]
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]MrMelGibsonG4NK3D
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

ddos is not hacking

sending a bunch of traffic to home router public ip is what he did

zero hacking

so he should go to prison for this? 

really?
    You are being too specific. This falls under "you know what he means".

So sure, you are very correct, he didn't "hack" the person. He did do things to obstruct the other person.

So should it be against the law for one person to obstruct and limit another person? I'm going to say yes.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    DMKano said:
    Never understimate the lengths some players will go to ensure they win
    If only he could have bought his spot in the raid with real cash... or maybe have won it in a lootbox this would never have happened!

Iselin[Deleted User]MadFrenchieMrMelGibson

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited December 2017
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

ddos is not hacking

zero hacking

really?
    Ddos is not hacking..
    Is that really what you want to use to back up your point?
    He commited a crime and a court should find an appropiate sentence.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Where is Hammurabi when you need him? His punishment should be that WOW randomly DDOSes him several times a day for a year.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    edited December 2017
    The appropriate sentence for this is banning of his account from Blizzard if there is proof that he did in fact do this. They should also ban him from ever playing again, but that is almost impossible to do as people can change and spoof everything about them online to include connections, ect... Now if people wanted to go all social justice warrior on him they could always release his real info online which is easy to obtain these days.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    DMKano said:
    Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

ddos is not hacking

zero hacking

really?
    You are being too specific. This falls under "you know what he means".

So sure, you are very correct, he didn't "hack" the person. He did do things to obstruct the other person.

So should it be against the law for one person to obstruct and limit another person? I'm going to say yes.

It should be against the law, lots of things that should be but arent

Again - what court will hear this case?

What if this guy is some 14 year old in a country like China that would never even consider this.

Heck most courts wouldnt waste their time on this.

But yes I agree with that ddosing anyone is a big NO.

just nothing will be done about it
    I do agree no court will hear it. Should be against the law though.
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited December 2017
    He can enjoy his perma - ban now. Pathetic little prick. The armory still shows him in Limit though.
    bcbullyMrMelGibson