Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The mellee healer

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

i have allways loved to play mellee healers
which are to me healer classes that work best in mellee range
and even better use mellee skills to heal people..

but they are extremely rare in most games...

so what games have good mellee healer builds?
which ones do you like?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Current iteration of Holy Paladin in WoW is a fun melee healer.
    MrMelGibson
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    so what games have good mellee healer builds?
    which ones do you like?
    Why restrict it to mere builds? :wink:  Bear shaman, AoC, the entire class.
    Standing shoulder-to-shoulder by the tank and healing the group with two-handed smashes onto the boss's head... best way to heal :smiley:
    Tsiya
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Eq2 hs an incredible system... loved how the aa effected the healers
    bearshaman was also very much fun

i haven’t played paladin, to me it looks more like a caster that needs to be close to the receiving end, then a true mellee healer..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I usually think of games that have a Monk class as melee healers.  Also SWG had TKM/MDoc that was unarmed except for a pair of knuckles and as a master doctor heals were very good, I had a lot of fun with that class.  Last Monk I played was in WoW and it was pretty good but he did have range skills.  Most other Monks started off good but got nerfed pretty badly, I suppose they were difficult to balance.  Bear Shaman in AOC was fun.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Vanguard had melee based healers.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    centkin said:
    Yes, the disciple.. 
    an incredible fun class to play

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Rift gives a decent amount of freedom for melee healers, also The Secret World, or Secret Legends if you prefer, has melee healer too. Other than that I honestly I don't many that hasn't been mentioned already unless of course you count Paladins then I guess Final Fantasy XI and XIV? not sure if I consider those ones viable healers though.

imageimage

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    no 1 all time

Bear Shaman, absolutely love that class
    Disciple (VG) also awesome
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Warrior Priest in WAR.
    IselinZergy
  • NithirNithir Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Bear Shaman in Age of Conan, by far. (noticed the last date, is this considered Necro yet? :( )
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    TaishiFox said:
    Rift gives a decent amount of freedom for melee healers, also The Secret World, or Secret Legends if you prefer, has melee healer too. Other than that I honestly I don't many that hasn't been mentioned already unless of course you count Paladins then I guess Final Fantasy XI and XIV? not sure if I consider those ones viable healers though.
    You mentioned FFXI but didn't mention Dancer? Dancer can pretty much be a melee healer
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Xarko said:
    Warrior Priest in WAR.
    Can't forget the Disciple of Khaine from WAR either.
    Nithir
  • NithirNithir Member UncommonPosts: 74
    WAR overall had such great classes.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Xarko said:
    Warrior Priest in WAR.
    That was a fun class in Warhammer Online.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Rift has melee healers, actually Rift has skill trees that make any class be able to play any role. Like tank ranged DD or tank healer.
    Yup. Both WAR and Rift had great melee healer options. Although in Rift I much preferred the nuker healer Chloro/whatever. It was much better designed than WAR's Archmage and Shaman.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    What is "mellee" ?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What is "mellee" ?
    It means whatever you want it to mean just like "MMO"
    MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Iselin said:
    What is "mellee" ?
    It means whatever you want it to mean just like "MMO"

That is what i figure .. that is why i ask .. what does that mean to YOU?

Plus, it is not what I want MMO to mean. I like common usage .. so I sometimes will defer to the game list here. You can say "it means whatever MMORPG.com wants it to mean".

For example, Destiny 2 is a MMOFPS. 
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited December 2017
    like others said, the only true melee healer i ever played was the Bear Shaman in AoC. with the BS you actually had to do damage, in melee range, to heal. sitting back and spamming heals wouldn't do much. it was not easy to play though, especially in pvp, and required good tier gear as it was only medium protection armor. a very challenging class. 

the WoW paladin is more of a heavy armor defensive/tank healer, he has plenty of ranged heals. your range is only a bit shorter than other healers, but you don't have to be within melee range. he's no true melee healer. 

Post edited by Jakdstripper on
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    centkin said:
    Yes, the disciple.. 
    an incredible fun class to play
    If you thought the disciple was fun at release, that was a watered down, nerfed, de-stylized version.  In the early betas he didn't have a limit to connectors etc and he just flowed from skill to skill choosing the path that would lead to what he needed further ahead.  It was far more difficult and far more fun to play, but yes somewhat OP if you played him right, but only if you played him right.
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Everquest: Paladin. Pallys in this game were good tanks and could lock down a single mob when needed. Also they made good back up healers, for when the cleric was low on mana. Later in the game they actually could be a main healer in small groups but not raids.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Chanter in Aion was a really cool melee healer
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "melee skills to heal" i wouldn't like a game like that because it doesn't make any sense at all.

Healing should be some form of magic or science aka potions etc etc.

However a healer decent at melee,maybe the best class ever made in any game ever,the Red Mage in FFXi,then later added the Dancer class that can also heal and do other stuff and utilizes speed and dual wielding as can the RDM dual wield as well.

However,these would be solo cases other than the Dancer class which builds TP through melee to then use as healing or for other abilities.

There are other classes that can heal in FFXI ,just a great game for classes,even including a couple pets from the BST class can heal,SMN can ,Bards can,Blue Mage can etc etc.

However,the term HEALER in it's truest form in a group setup should be sitting back healing,healers are not portrayed throughout history as front line characters.I believe that is why SE created the Dancerclass to cater to those that wanted to be able to heal and melee in a group.

I know of some silly ideas for healing cough ahem GW2,stuff like Reactive healing but the reactive is not really a character to melee and the ShadowKnight for example would not be called a Healer nor would the Paladin from FFXI/XIV.Example a Monk can also heal in FFXI but again would never be considered a "Healer",as soon as you attach the tag HEALER,it is not a melee class.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited December 2017
    Wizardry said:
    "melee skills to heal" i wouldn't like a game like that because it doesn't make any sense at all.

Healing should be some form of magic or science aka potions etc etc.

However a healer decent at melee,maybe the best class ever made in any game ever,the Red Mage in FFXi,then later added the Dancer class that can also heal and do other stuff and utilizes speed and dual wielding as can the RDM dual wield as well.

However,these would be solo cases other than the Dancer class which builds TP through melee to then use as healing or for other abilities.

There are other classes that can heal in FFXI ,just a great game for classes,even including a couple pets from the BST class can heal,SMN can ,Bards can,Blue Mage can etc etc.

However,the term HEALER in it's truest form in a group setup should be sitting back healing,healers are not portrayed throughout history as front line characters.I believe that is why SE created the Dancerclass to cater to those that wanted to be able to heal and melee in a group.

I know of some silly ideas for healing cough ahem GW2,stuff like Reactive healing but the reactive is not really a character to melee and the ShadowKnight for example would not be called a Healer nor would the Paladin from FFXI/XIV.Example a Monk can also heal in FFXI but again would never be considered a "Healer",as soon as you attach the tag HEALER,it is not a melee class.
    Apparently, you've never heard of a Corpsman or combat medic.  They stood shoulder to shoulder with me during firefights on the frontline in Iraq and Afghanistan.  You might want revisit your history books, because you're dead wrong.
    Sovrath
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    I thought every class in MMO's could heal these days? Be they melee, ranged or whatever.