Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC makes PC Gamers worst micro transactions list

Comments

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Vrika said:
    tawess said:
    Shaigh said:
    The reason why star citizen tops the list is that CIG started selling land plots without having a prototype on the land plot system or an actual universe where the land plots will be. Sure, they spent 40 minutes in a video promoting it but you weren't any wiser how it would work out because right now it doesn't seem like CIG knows how it will work out.

Its somewhat telling that four EA games made the list, their attempts at microtransactions are a cancer to the gaming industry.

to be fair... they did/do the same with the ships. =P
    At least the ship can be used, whereas to use the land you'll need to get a builder ship ($850).
    Another thing is that you kind of know how a ship will act on some basic level. They have extremely limited info about how land will work. Put a thing down and it claims a piece for you. But there are a large number of mechanics that are unknowable at this point. Actually paying for something that unknowable is pretty ludicrous to me.
    It's land surely it can't be that complicated, they have said quiet a lot about it. What is it you think you don't know or still want to know?
    TheScavenger
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Vrika said:
    tawess said:
    Shaigh said:
    The reason why star citizen tops the list is that CIG started selling land plots without having a prototype on the land plot system or an actual universe where the land plots will be. Sure, they spent 40 minutes in a video promoting it but you weren't any wiser how it would work out because right now it doesn't seem like CIG knows how it will work out.

Its somewhat telling that four EA games made the list, their attempts at microtransactions are a cancer to the gaming industry.

to be fair... they did/do the same with the ships. =P
    At least the ship can be used, whereas to use the land you'll need to get a builder ship ($850).
    Actually paying for something that unknowable is pretty ludicrous to me.
    That's the whole point of crowdfunding games isin't it? That's why the risk is entirely optional.

Nevermind the fact that buying the base game gets you access to all the space ships and features developed until "gold". That means a Star Citizen package, that went for as low as 20$, gets you a whole lot more features per buck than games that have to follow the traditional model.

The only reason it causes so much grief to the usual's is because it's CIG/Star Citizen. Anything that makes them money is preventing the "Total Collapse 90 Days Top" prophecy to be fulfilled therefore it's evil lol :D
  • ZanthraZanthra Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Bottom line is that there will always be those who pay/buy/donate. And those of us who prefer to see what the hell we're using our hard earned money for. To each their own I guess.
    RidelynnErillionPhaserlight
    Babuinix said:
    The only reason it causes so much grief to the usual's is because it's CIG/Star Citizen. Anything that makes them money is preventing the "Total Collapse 90 Days Top" prophecy to be fulfilled therefore it's evil lol :D
    How much money total do you think WoW collected from its customers in it's hay day per year? 
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    Babuinix said:
    How much money total do you think WoW collected from its customers in it's hay day per year? 
    A lot. It's pretty impressive that Blizzard presented a game, that everyone could see and experience, that people decided they would pay $15/month for for so long. And in a disturbing way, it is also pretty impressive how SC can raise a huge amount of money without people being able to see the entire game as it is meant to be. They can even sell land without giving details about the mechanics and people will buy in. Truly incredible in the literal sense.
    Tiamat64KyleranFrodoFraginsPhaserlight
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Either CIG doesn't need the money, and it's just greed; or they do need the money and it's a testament to previous wasteful development. 

Either way, they're pretty sure the fish are biting.....
    Tiamat64NildenPhaserlight

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    /shrug

People are free to spend their hard earned cash however they please. It's not for me to comment on what someone else pays for.

I'm entitled to an opinion, certainly, but there's no point in airing that out in public, as it won't change anyone's mind one way or the other.

If it makes them happy, and it's not immoral or illegal (which I don't think SC is either at the present), then whatever floats your boat. I'm free to chose to spend the same as well, or not, as I wish.
    OrinoriErillionPhaserlight
    Ridelynn said:
    /shrug

People are free to spend their hard earned cash however they please. It's not for me to comment on what someone else pays for.

I'm entitled to an opinion, certainly, but there's no point in airing that out in public, as it won't change anyone's mind one way or the other.

If it makes them happy, and it's not immoral or illegal (which I don't think SC is either at the present), then whatever floats your boat. I'm free to chose to spend the same as well, or not, as I wish.
    I agree fundamentally. But does this phenomenon not pique your interest? Have you ever seen consumers act in this specific way? And what was the outcome of those examples?
    Octagon7711PhaserlightMadFrenchie
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Orinori said:
    Babuinix said:
    A lot. It's pretty impressive that Blizzard presented a game, that everyone could see and experience, that people decided they would pay $15/month for for so long. And in a disturbing way, it is also pretty impressive how SC can raise a huge amount of money without people being able to see the entire game as it is meant to be. They can even sell land without giving details about the mechanics and people will buy in. Truly incredible in the literal sense.
    And CIG presente's it's game in development, that everyone can see and experience, that allows people to decide to pledge or stay put. Fortunately what they've shown continuously impresses it's old backers and getting new ones to the tune of several million$ per year for 5 ongoing years, allowing for expanded scope and quality.

As much as that displeases the ones more interested in seeing Star Citizen collapse instead of  being proved wrong, eat their words whille getting an awesome game to play at the same time.
    Orinori said:
    Babuinix said:
    A lot. It's pretty impressive that Blizzard presented a game that everyone could see and experience that people decided they would pay $15/month for for so long. And in a disturbing way, it is also pretty impressive how SC can raise a huge amount of money without people being able to see the entire game as it is meant to be. They can even sell land without giving details about the mechanics and people will buy in. Truly incredible in the literal sense.
    Over 1 Billion per year.....per year......about $1,000,000,000 PER YEAR! that its customers happily gave to Blizzard for the game they wanted to play.

Star Citizens are not allowed to give 30 million per year to fund the development of the game they want to play. That is a staggering $970,000,000 less per year! 3%

3%  

Everyone knows they are parting money for development and nothing is guaranteed, no one is forcing anyone. Stop Hyperventilating over SC funding!

TheScavenger
    Babuinix said:
    Orinori said:
    Babuinix said:
    And CIG presente's it's game in development, that everyone can see and experience, that allows people to decide to pledge or stay put. Fortunately what they've shown continuously impresses it's old backers and getting new ones to the tune of several million$ per year for 5 ongoing years, allowing for expanded scope and quality.

As much as that displeases the ones more interested in seeing Star Citizen collapse instead of  being proved wrong, eat their words whille getting an awesome game to play at the same time.
    I will never say that it's not impressive. In fact, I literally said it was impressive.

The whole "more interested in seeing Star Citizen collapse" thing is just a talking point that you (and perhaps others) have imagined because you are so defensive. I don't like their model for raising money and it is actually disturbing to me, but the only thing I would like to see the collapse of is the model and not the actual game.
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Babuinix said:
    A lot. It's pretty impressive that Blizzard presented a game that everyone could see and experience that people decided they would pay $15/month for for so long. And in a disturbing way, it is also pretty impressive how SC can raise a huge amount of money without people being able to see the entire game as it is meant to be. They can even sell land without giving details about the mechanics and people will buy in. Truly incredible in the literal sense.
    Over 1 Billion per year.....per year......about $1,000,000,000 PER YEAR! that its customers happily gave to Blizzard for the game they wanted to play.

Star Citizens are not allowed to give 30 million per year to fund the development of the game they want to play. That is a staggering $970,000,000 less per year! 3%

3%  

Everyone knows they are parting money for development and nothing is guaranteed, no one is forcing anyone. Stop Hyperventilating over SC funding!

Blizzard offered a game. SC offers a promise of a game.
    Phaserlight
    Ridelynn said:
    /shrug

I agree fundamentally. But does this phenomenon not pique your interest? Have you ever seen consumers act in this specific way? And what was the outcome of those examples?
    I am a customer. I gave $35 towards development. In what specific way did I act that amazes you with this strange 'phenomenon'? 
    TheScavenger
    Orinori said:
    Ridelynn said:
    /shrug

I am a customer. I gave $35 towards development. In what specific way did I act that amazes you with this strange 'phenomenon'? 
    You are not the only person that has donated. In fact, based on how much they've raised and how many people have given, you are a below average "donater."
    edited December 2017
    SC offered and delivered inclusion and participation in the game at every stage that they could / can. Many playing 3,0 right this second.

Look at the figures again. get some perspective and stop the faux outrage.  

WoW - 1 billion per year
    SC - 30 million per year

$970,000,000 less 
    TheScavenger
    Orinori said:
    Ridelynn said:
    /shrug

You are not the only person that has donated. In fact, based on how much they've raised and how many people have given, you are a below average "donater."
    Yes I think they said the average is in the $60 range, the question still stands for them also. What is so amazing.
    Orinori said:
    SC offered and delivered inclusion and participation in the game at every stage that they could / can. Many playing 3,0 right this second.

Yeah, they offer an alpha version of the game. And like you said, they are making $30 million per year on it even though it has extreme bugs and is underwhelming. That is what makes it so impressive.

What makes WoW impressive is that it made an incredible amount of money after people were able to actually see the game. SC would be lucky to even come within 1% of Blizzards success. All games would be lucky to have WoW success. And as you point out, SC is so far below WoW as to barely be noticeable in comparison.

And what is disturbing about your post is that you are asking me to get perspective for a game that has raised, by far, the most money raised through crowdfunding ever. It is beginning to approach one of the highest funded games of all time, period. And they continue to find ways to extract consumer's money (be they whales or small timers like you).

It is truly impressive.
    MadFrenchie
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Ridelynn said:
    /shrug

Yes I think they said the average is in the $60 range, the question still stands for them also. What is so amazing.
    Last time I read about it, it was over $80/person. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with that. I mean, I think it's stupid to spend money even on preorders in general, much less a game that may or may not even see the light of day. Like I already said, you are a far below average consumer, spending around 40% of average.
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Ridelynn said:
    /shrug

Last time I read about it, it was over $80/person. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with that. I mean, I think it's stupid to spend money even on preorders in general, much less a game that may or may not even see the light of day. Like I already said, you are a far below average consumer, spending around 40% of average.
    Please remember that $80 is spread over 5 years, we could even say the average backer has paid $16 per year for the game of their dreams! (and some of them are in game right now playing an early version of that game and yes most of them are blown away!)
    TheScavenger
    Orinori said:

Yeah, they offer an alpha version of the game. And like you said, they are making $30 million per year on it even though it has extreme bugs and is underwhelming. That is what makes it so impressive.

What makes WoW impressive is that it made an incredible amount of money after people were able to actually see the game. SC would be lucky to even come within 1% of Blizzards success. All games would be lucky to have WoW success. And as you point out, SC is so far below WoW as to barely be noticeable in comparison.

And what is disturbing about your post is that you are asking me to get perspective for a game that has raised, by far, the most money raised through crowdfunding ever. It is beginning to approach one of the highest funded games of all time, period. And they continue to find ways to extract consumer's money (be they whales or small timers like you).

It is truly impressive.
    All this post states is that you are against Crowdfunding. Period. There is little room for further interpretation.

Your beef is that they gain money for and during development from it's customers. Once it is 'launched' it can take in billions and that's just fine for you. But people trying to fundraise for that game? NOT ALLOWED! become highest funded game of all time through crowdfunding? NOT ALLOWED!
    TheScavenger
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Ridelynn said:
    /shrug

Please remember that $80 is spread over 5 years, we could even say the average backer has paid $16 per year for the game of their dreams! (and some of them are in game right now playing an early version of that game and yes most of them are blown away!)
    I suppose we could. Just like we could say that someone that paid $60 for GTAV actually paid $15/year.
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    one ship 1000 bucks a piece a land 100$ times ten 1000$

the look on there face when its all made illegal .....PRICE LESS
    Woah, I'm all for laughing at them but NEVER let them make anything illegal. Your money is your responsibility. The government isn't your mother, you're not its slave.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Ridelynn said:
    /shrug

I suppose we could. Just like we could say that someone that paid $60 for GTAV actually paid $15/year.
    If they got 4 years of play out of the game I am sure they could say it cost them $15 per yer, sure :)
    TheScavenger
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The thread title is wrong.  There is nothing "micro" about many of those transactions.  "Buy this for $100" is not a "micro" transaction.
    NildenPhaserlight
    Quizzical said:
    The thread title is wrong.  There is nothing "micro" about many of those transactions.  "Buy this for $100" is not a "micro" transaction.
    Yep, have already pointed out that the article is fake news. No way Star Citizen should be in that list. They do actually have micro transactions in SC, but it is not this land stuff. Stupid fake news hit piece!
    TheScavengerKyleranRaquis