Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why dont they just make world of warcraft 2?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:
    why would they bother when games like Overwatch & Hearthstone are big hits?

In fact, shouldn't Blizz be innovative and make other type of online games instead rather than rehashing old game types?
    Well first some other company has to do the actual innovation so Blizzard can copy, polish up, simplify for mass appeal and market the snot out of it for big bucks.

Same difference. They make polished good games .. and there is no reason to make a new AAA MMORPG when the market is not there. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scolioz said:
    with brand new graphics............  or Diablo MMORPG.....

shits boring as fuck......
    I think they are or will at least but I think they will wait one or two more Wow expansion before officially starting on it.

The original vanilla Wow cost them $60M to make before launching it, Wow2 will cost at least twice that to make with modern graphics and generally increase in cost.

Current Wow on the other hand have somewhere between 3 and 6 million players paying $10-15 each depending if they pay several months in advance or one at a time. That is still a whole lot of money and not counting servertransfers or anything else they charge for.

However, if they announce Wow 2 early chances are that some people will give up and wait for the sequel instead of continue to play, or worse, go play ESO/GW2 instead until it eventually releases.

So basically, you don't want Wow2 releasing before they got out as much as possible from Wow and you would want to keep the lid on about it for as long as possible. That is of course hard since a game in full production tend to get leaked.

There is another thing to consider: if VR actually becomes a huge hit in a couple of year that could make the game obsololete before it launches. While I don't think it is a given most people will own a VR kit 2023-2025 it is far from impossible so I think waiting a bit to see where that is going is wise. There are people in Japan screaming for VR MMOs after animes like Log Horizon, .Hack, Sword art online and Overlord and it is a thing that could breathe life into the genre again. It might flop as well.

Blizzard do love sequels and I am sure we will see a Wow2, but the right time to anounce it is still a couple of years away, at least that is my bet. Aouncement 2019-2022 and release 2023-2025.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Asking for WoW2 is like asking for Rocky XVIMCXVXXIIVXMCVXXXI... eventually you've told the same story so many times that no one cares anymore.

People also want to play as Murlocs... until every player in game has one.

WoW2 will never be the game you hope it will be any more than classic WoW will be the game you once fell in love with.  You played that game to death already... back then, it was likely your virgin MMO experience.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    If you look at western mmorpg sequels you have UO2, AC2, EQ2 so sequel of something popular is no guarantee it will work, gw1 was never an mmorpg so don't bother mention gw2. You also have lineage 2, which is less popular than lineage 1 in korea.

If they make WoW 2 they would have to take lots of the staff involved with making WoW expansions and for it to be financially worth it WoW 2 would have to get back more than the $100M it takes to make the game plus the reduction in players of WoW.

Blizzard already had an mmorpg flop in project titan, there are better ways to make money than making a new mmorpg.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    It's quite amazing that the first post managed to spark a serious debate.

I don't think its even a debate, everyone is saying the same thing with maybe a spin on the same.
  • KopogerooKopogeroo Member UncommonPosts: 18
    If World War II didn't happen the internet would not exist in this time era. In other words majority of the people need to become desperate to create amazing things or change how things function. I'm only one individual who clearly did not change the industry by only spending $20 on a new game since January 11th, 2011 and it was mistake spending those $20 since Marvel Heroes still shut down anyways without ever having the opportunity to use the currency I bought with the $.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    A number of very good MMO's did that and it did not go that well, even though the second versions were good as well. I think that must be being factored in.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    They tried to make Titan, but scratched that and make overwatch instead.

I don't Blizzard is confident that they can make another successful mmorpg.
    AAAMEOW said:

it is not only confidence .. it is also that they have better alternatives. It is not like MMORPG is still the darling of the industry. If they can make a shooter, a MOBA or a CCG with lower costs and be successful, why bother with a MMORPG?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Forgrimm said:
    Because they don't want to spend 5 years and a couple hundred million dollars developing a product in a declining genre that would cannibalize their current product which is still very successful.

Plus, classic wow is taking a lower risk chance at getting back some of those vanilla loving players who have left the game.
    Forgrimm
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    AAAMEOW said:

it is not only confidence .. it is also that they have better alternatives. It is not like MMORPG is still the darling of the industry. If they can make a shooter, a MOBA or a CCG with lower costs and be successful, why bother with a MMORPG?
    Ya, I think I read somewhere hearthstone is making as much as Wow.  I'm not sure if that is accurate but kind of prove the point why spend so much effort to make mmorpg when there are easier ways to make money.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    WoW is still played by millions and still in the top 10 most economic successful MMOs.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:

Ya, I think I read somewhere hearthstone is making as much as Wow.  I'm not sure if that is accurate but kind of prove the point why spend so much effort to make mmorpg when there are easier ways to make money.

Even if it makes less than WoW, i bet the ROI is insane because it was so cheap to make. Plus, it is boring to just do the same thing again. Clearly Blizz likes to explore other types of games, particularly in the last few years.

They now have a shooter, a MOBA and a CCG. 
    Rhoklaw said:
    The answer to this question is the same answer to why F2P cash shops have existed this long. That being because people are willing to shell out money for it. Don't like something, stop supporting it. EA finally learned this, but I doubt the 5 million people still playing WoW could handle giving up the game in hopes of getting a new one.

You don't need all the people to shell out money. You just need some whales. In fact, f2p games are great .. just have some fun for free. It is like the dev let you exploit them. And it is not like they need my support, they have whales. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    It's quite amazing that the first post managed to spark a serious debate.
    I can't believe I made it this far down the thread.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Why should they ? They improved the graphic, animations, gameplay. In a sense it is already WOW 2.0

Making WOW2 will only close the game they have. It makes no sense on business perspective.

They will never do it.

Question is, will they make any other MMO ? ( Like Diablo MMO for example )

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:

Even if it makes less than WoW, i bet the ROI is insane because it was so cheap to make. Plus, it is boring to just do the same thing again. Clearly Blizz likes to explore other types of games, particularly in the last few years.

Clearly they need a space sim next....
    esc-joconnor

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Kyleran said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:

Clearly they need a space sim next....
    Well, that could be more like Starcraft. Starcraft would work well as a sci-fi MMO with space aspects. Though I dunno much if it would go into the "sim" category. But it would fit space/sci-fi and what not. Can imagine it a bit like SWTOR and its space aspects.

A Starcraft MMO would be amazing. But they probably think it compete too much with WoW and I can see that...a lot of warcraft fans are starcraft fans and if a starcraft MMO came out that would probably be the REAL WoW killer. Hence why Blizzard probably avoids that (for now) since WoW is still doing good.

However. Rumors are blizzard is making an MMO-esque (or heavily inspired by MMOs) Diablo game. So that is probably their next "big" thing they are working on if it even pans out at all. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    starcraft or diablo mmo could work for me :)
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    WoW is already the Diablo MMO.  Quite a few of WoW's skills are Diablo's skills ported to the MMO format, and they don't even try to hide that a lot of the time.
    Allerleirauh
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Kyleran said:
    deniter said:
    It would end up to be another WoW jr.

Blizzard has never had a clue about MMO markets, even tho they try to convince otherwise giving us BS about market researches and data they have collected, which they have no idea how to interpret it. Announcing classic servers is yet another desperate move they make. They believe they have a perfect MMO in their hands, but can't figure why the subs are dropping year after year, so they need to experiment if classic truly did something better than casual and super accessible linear single-player MMO.

Once this process is completed and they finally realise where things went wrong it's time to think WoW 2. They scrapped project Titan, which was a smart move since all evidence suggests that Titan would have been pretty much like Wildstar, a.k.a linear, action orientated, casual and cute with spammable dungeon finder tool and weak mobs you can aoe down while watching TV.

We will see WoW 2 sooner than later, that's for sure, but for the sake of all parties i hope it will be released in distant future by new dev team and under new management.
    I can't believe you are serious.  Developers of arguably the most financially successful MMORPG of all time, likely played by more gamers world wide than most any other in the genre and a host of other big name online games "doesn't have a clue" about MMOs?

Think before you post again, that was painful.

Not likely I’d be suprised if wow had 1.5 mill in the West. There’s a reason they won’t release numbers anymore.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Why would Blizzard bother?

They still have more players than any other MMORPG continuing on with what they already have. Also, due to changes in the market WoW2 wouldn't likely capture the peak audience WoW did so could quite possibly be deemed a failure even it did remarkably well compared to most other games released today.

I suspect they feel they are better off sticking with what is comparatively a sure thing, even if that certainty doesn't come with the audience it once had.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    If it ever happened, it would be designed from the ground up for microtransactions. 

It would probably make a lot of money back on box sales alone with mtx as gravy.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Blizzard got on the MMO bandwagon when they saw how big that could be. They got on the card game bandwagon when they saw how big that could be. MMOs are not where you go now for the next big thing, they could be again one day in the future, but for now forget it.
    Scot said:
    Blizzard got on the MMO bandwagon when they saw how big that could be. They got on the card game bandwagon when they saw how big that could be. MMOs are not where you go now for the next big thing, they could be again one day in the future, but for now forget it.

What are you talking about? MMO is big now .. just look at Overwatch.