Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO Now Part of Jingle Jam 2017 on Humble Bundle

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

STO Now Part of Jingle Jam 2017 on Humble Bundle - Star Trek Online - MMORPGcom

If you've been looking for a good way to expand your Star Trek Online collection, you'll want to check out Jingle Jam 2017 on Humble Bundle. From now through December 31st, you can "pay what you want" on Humble with all proceeds going to a variety of charitable foundations. In exchange, you'll be given the TOS Bridge Officer pack (PC only) with Chekov, Uhura, Sulu, Rand, McCoy, Scott and Spock joining your crew.

Keep in mind that Jingle Jam is a collection of a month's worth of games and deals if you offer $35 or more, one of said gifts being the Star Trek Online TOS Bridge Officer Pack. 100% of proceeds go to charity. 

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    There's a couple of discussions even on the STO forums about this collaborative charity venture. Just like on the lead for this article the whole Humble Bundle's Jingle Jam 2017, the statement about it being "pay what you want" may be misleading & untrue if you want to acquire this TOS Bridge Officer Pack. It seems it may be instead pay $35 or more for the whole bundle & this is 1 of the little items included.
    Octagon7711
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    The "rare" pack....not anymore!
    Octagon7711
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I dunno...$35 bucks for more games than most people can play in 5 years with 100% of proceeds going to cancer research seems like a pretty good deal to me.

However, I'll edit the article for a bit more clarity.
    zigalucard

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Just FYI, the contents of the bundle has leaked already and it is a BUTT TON of repeats from the previous years. So if you bought last year or the year before prepare to be disappointed.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2017
    Not sure why the discussions, Dijon, that's just how these bundles work, they always use tiers and the slowly, one by one revealed rewards is also a frequent mechanic both at the Monthly and at bulk charities.

For this current one, I think I'll pass (I don't like gabe and this list is way too steam-heavy :wink: ), but I admit I was tempted when they added this pack... the officers would go nicely with the retrofit Enterprise. There's also a Neverwinter pack on the list which looks nice.

(edit: for the record, I like humblebundle and I'm a frequent buyer of book and drm-free bundles :wink: )
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    All those games and all the money goes to a good charity and people still find a way to complain.

#sadface
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    edited December 2017

Talonsin said:

All those games and all the money goes to a good charity and people still find a way to complain.

#sadface

So charity is some word that makes you immune from criticism!?! Woohaaa! I should print that on spandex and wear a cape with it.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

SBFord said:

I dunno...$35 bucks for more games than most people can play in 5 years with 100% of proceeds going to cancer research seems like a pretty good deal to me.

However, I'll edit the article for a bit more clarity.

"From now through December 31st, you can "pay what you want" on Humble with all proceeds going to a variety of charitable foundations. In exchange, you'll be given the TOS Bridge Officer pack (PC only) with Chekov, Uhura, Sulu, Rand, McCoy, Scott and Spock joining your crew." That's the part from the lead-in which I felt could use some clarity.

Ikeda said:

Just FYI, the contents of the bundle has leaked already and it is a BUTT TON of repeats from the previous years. So if you bought last year or the year before prepare to be disappointed.

Yeah I had seen where the remaining games & perks had been leaked even though they weren't officially announced yet. That's a bit of a shame since it is for charity & it spoils the surprise.

Talonsin said:

#sadface

I wasn't really complaining, I didn't think, but as it read it could mislead someone in thinking "pay what you want" to receive that TOS Pack & they wouldn't, but if you're okay with that good for you.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2017

Talonsin said:

#sadface

I'm afraid I've become jaded as a lot of the money goes to the organization for salaries (charities have some of the highest paid CEO's in any corporation) and running the organization, I wonder how much of it actually makes it to research? Probably why there are so many new charities popping up, lately.

Always do your own research and take a little as possible for granted.
    https://www.snopes.com/politics/business/komen.asp

http://www.businessinsider.com/small-amount-of-money-from-pink-nfl-merchandise-goes-to-breast-cancer-research-2013-10

http://blogs.reuters.com/stories-id-like-to-see/2014/09/09/the-money-spent-in-fighting-cancer-and-alibabas-risk-factor/

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Talonsin said:

#sadface

I'm afraid I've become jaded as a lot of the money goes to the organization for salaries (charities have some of the highest paid CEO's in any corporation) and running the organization, I wonder how much of it actually makes it to research? Probably why there are so many new charities popping up, lately.

Always do your own research and take a little as possible for granted.
    https://www.snopes.com/politics/business/komen.asp

http://www.businessinsider.com/small-amount-of-money-from-pink-nfl-merchandise-goes-to-breast-cancer-research-2013-10

http://blogs.reuters.com/stories-id-like-to-see/2014/09/09/the-money-spent-in-fighting-cancer-and-alibabas-risk-factor/
    Did you read the article you quoted?  While it does say only 21% of the money donated goes to research the majority of the rest goes to education and prevention methods.  It also clearly states that the CEO's running these multi-million dollar charities could make much more money running for-profit companies.

I get what you are saying and sure there are some charities that are extremely questionable but that was not the point of my post.  My point is, you get a ton of games for a low price and the money goes to charity.  I was not providing my support to this particular charity, I was simply saying at this time of year when we should be happy and joyful and a company like Humble has a great offer like this, we should not be so quick to criticize it.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Tofke said:

Talonsin said:

#sadface

So charity is some word that makes you immune from criticism!?! Woohaaa! I should print that on spandex and wear a cape with it.
    I dont even know WTF you are saying here...  You get a ton of good games for less than the box price of a current title AND your money goes to charity.  Why is everyone so hung up on the word charity? 

I simply think this is a good deal if you dont already have some of those games and as a bonus your money goes to help people.  Is that really so bad?