Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Competitive Gaming Take Away Our Single Player Fun? - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Dauzqul said:

I never understood the desire for solo adventure games. Go here, go there. Watch cut scene. Really boring, IMO.

You can say exactly the same of most multiplayer games. In fact your descpription fits something like FF14 online perfectly.

On the other hand, did you play Zelda BoTW? There are hardly any cutscenes at all in that game. And you don't just go to places, you explore them, you discover them, you uncover their secrets, unravel their puzzles and in the process become enchanted with these places. Compare that to the PVE content in most , if not all MMO's and you then come back and tell me what's boring.
    DauzqulAyin
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I prefer to play single player games or to run solo in MMO's.
    It's just that competitive games are so freaking toxic these days, it just ruins it for me personally.
    [Deleted User]PhryDavodtheTutt
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    evolgrinz said:
    I prefer to play single player games or to run solo in MMO's.
    It's just that competitive games are so freaking toxic these days, it just ruins it for me personally.
    I don't think you are an isolated case tbh, while i do enjoy the more social aspects of online games, i rarely engage in the more 'competitive' side of things as i prefer a more 'cooperative' style of gameplay.
    Single player games are hugely popular anyway, take Skyrim, Witcher 3 the Mass Effect series, well the pre-Andromeda ones at least, Dragon Age, Dragons Dogma, Divinity Original Sin etc. or even Stardew Valley for that matter. Single player games are where the player gets to be a participant in the 'story' and imo thats where single player games excel.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    All anyone needs ti do is launch Skyrim SE and look in the upper right hand corner of the main menu for their answer.
    Phry
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    Torval said:
     This is a well written article.

Yeah, especially with the mistake with League of Legends.

"Well written", my ass.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Luiden said:

First off, this is a ignorant article.  League of Legends isn't based on a MMORPG, it was built from the Warcraft 3 engine as a mod if I remember correctly.  It and all these other capture the base kind of games plays right into esports, multiplayer etc but have nothing to do with a MMORPG style game.

Now to the chief compliant, the fact that it may do away with your single player experience in a MMORPG.. please make that happen yesterday.  If you are playing the game as a single player then you aren't playing a MMORPG.  Please, go back to your xbox on your couch and continue to be isolated in your gaming loneliness. 

I play MMORPGs solo quite frequently. I can assure you my doing so hasn't caused any of the other players to magically disappear.

I know, as they still stock the markets for me with whatever resources and finished goods I desire. They still come to aid me and I them in spontaneous dynamic events. They are still around to pug with if I am for some reason compelled to group due to occasions of restrictive design philosophy.

Being alone is only lonely if you'd rather not. Those whose company I prefer over solitude aren't in abundant supply.
    PhryAyin
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    All anyone needs ti do is launch Skyrim SE and look in the upper right hand corner of the main menu for their answer.
    Skyrim SE is an interesting case tbh, i did try it briefly but wasn't impressed with it at all, so it will likely remain uninstalled unless the situation changes significantly, the original Skyrim on PC is definitely, at least in my view, a superior version, at least from a modding standpoint as base game isn't really all that good, but modded it improves the game dramatically, the original version of the game does not have the bethesda storefront intruding on your game with its dubious cash shop items, some negative features simply outweigh any positive gains by too large a factor. :/

[Deleted User]
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I don't like Competitve games....But I do love CoOp games RPG wise anyway.....I do love PvP shooters....But that's about it...
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    bcbully said:
    Only old people want stories and quests....

I think you are tying to pull posters chains here. :)
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2017
    Article really seems prety pointless as i dont see a drop off in single player games at all , quite a few quality single player games  came out this year ..And by quite a few i could list 2 dozen.. More than i have time to play or complete
    Post edited by Scorchien on
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Sick of seeing Nazi banners in so many games (even in bloody star wars) they're gone never to return...stop flogging the dead horse propaganda parasites.
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I'm not concerned. My favorite single player games in the past few years were not AAA. Divinity: Original Sin 2, Pillars of Eternity, Starbound, Cities: Skylines, and Stardew Valley.

EA, Activision, and Ubisoft can leave the market. Good riddance.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Yes this worries me a great deal.
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    As I am about 15 years behind on single player games I've got more than enough backlog to sustain me, so no concern here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    As I am about 15 years behind on single player games I've got more than enough backlog to sustain me, so no concern here.

And else you know where to find me  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I was pleasantly surprised to find a good article that was also responded to with mostly thoughtful responses. Well done all.

To each his own; I like becoming immersed in a game feeling like I'm the hero in an epic movie. I prefer soloing most of the time, appreciate the non-grouped cooperative game play available in some games, and will do normal groups on occasion. Personally I wish someone would develop an mmo focused on 2 players adventuring together with only options for more rather than making it impossible to experience everything unless you are in a large group, or am I the only one who spends the majority of his gaming time with his wife or significant other gaming together?

On the other hand I recognize many are really into the esport side of gaming which includes 2 of my grandsons (yes, I've been gaming for a very long time - anyone still know what Pong was?). I'm glad for them and everyone who enjoys that side of gaming, but it just doesn't ring my bell because I'm looking to relax and escape in my games.

[Deleted User]
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2017
    Phry said:
    Skyrim SE is an interesting case tbh, i did try it briefly but wasn't impressed with it at all, so it will likely remain uninstalled unless the situation changes significantly, the original Skyrim on PC is definitely, at least in my view, a superior version, at least from a modding standpoint as base game isn't really all that good, but modded it improves the game dramatically, the original version of the game does not have the bethesda storefront intruding on your game with its dubious cash shop items, some negative features simply outweigh any positive gains by too large a factor. :/

Basically, monitization has invaded Skyrim......and without a doubt, anything Bethesda ever releases going forward. SPRPGs now require logins? Why? Well, it's a rhetorical question I guess.

Video games are going to to be like buying a new car? How many bells and whistles do you want and how much are you willing to pay for them?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Just like gas, this too shall pass.
    Phry
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    They have already damaged the single player experience.
    In the quest for infinite profit, many publishers have stepped away from the game oriented path and onto the road of gambling addictions and looting your wallet.
    There still are and shall remain some that won't go that route, but their reach is limited due to the power and influence of the big name publishers. Because of this they won't find nearly as many of their customers as they should.

Microtransactions, Loot Boxes, and Games as a Service are all methods to take away our independence to play where we want and how we want with but a single purchase of the game. Those are all ways to lock us down to online only, and to keep paying and paying just to be able to play, and yet deliver no real value of gameplay to us that we didn't already pay for when we bought the game.

Hopefully the public outrage that is rising will be enough to stem the tide of greed and help foster not just single player games, but great games at reasonable prices, both single player and multiplayer.
    Ayin

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...