Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you play in one sitting?

k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
So someone else asked another question close to this that got me thinking.  On average I can sit and play a game for hours if it is something I enjoy and have time for.  I would say that my time playing has gone down a lot over the years.  As a kid I could sit and play through an entire game in one sitting.  I would say that I try to hold it below an hour now as I am older and have other responsibilities.  Just curious how much time gaming people are doing on average.  In a week I would say that I play anywhere from 6-15 hours if there is something I really want to play and have the free time.

Comments

• vomomotovomomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Depends on the games I am playing.
    When new MMORPG story content comes out, I play for 30 hours/week until I clear it. Otherwise I try to squeeze in an hour or two each day of games I like.
  • imevuimevu Member CommonPosts: 2
    I play about 20hours week
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Monday to Thursday I often don't play at all - by the time I've gotten home from work, made dinner, done whatever chores need doing, I tend to only have an hour or two free. I try to avoid gaming immediately before bed, so it means I only gave a short time free to game and the sorts of games I usually play require longer sessions. 

But, weekends....assuming I have no other plans, this is where I get my big sessions in. Typically 3-5 hours in a row, usually around 9pm-2am
    BeezerbeezPsym0n
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Gaming is my primary hobby and also a big hobby of my SO's.  We have no children and aren't going to, so our evenings and weekends belong to us.  I usually play 3-4 hours per evening, unless we are binge-watching Netflix or doing something else.  On weekends, I can easily spend 12 hours a day playing, especially at a time like now where AC: Origins has me hooked, I have a backlog of other good games, and also am heavily into a superb mobile game (yes, there are some good ones if you look) that is complex in its team-building and can eat away hours.  Our home life situation being what it is (quiet and peaceful, lol) I can basically game whenever I want, for how long I want.  I rather enjoy talking to people at work about how much sheer time I put into games and have them stare at me like I fell out of the sky, lmao.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    about an hour a day

Joined - July 2004

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I don't really have "responsibilities" other than going to work for 8 hours 5 days a week.

So I can play as long as I want. A few hours. I do have other projects going on. But I can sometimes make the decision to play all day on a Saturday or Sunday (with appropriate breaks).
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    As a kid i used to play Civilization, Nethack, Dungeon Master, Dune 2, Chaos Engine or Captive on weekends for entire day in one sitting, excluding meals and bathroom breaks. My typical saturday started by turning the computer on, launching Civilization, and while waiting the game to load up i had some breakfast. Next social interaction with outside world was when my little brother wanted to go to sleep and switched the lights off, so i had to mumble something to him and try to hit the keys in darkness.

In my 30's i have forgotten to eat and sleep few times while playing WoW, but most of the time i spent 10-12 hours straight with fingers on my keyboard, excluding bathroom breaks and couple of visit at the fridge.

Now i'm in my early 40's and i still spend hours in one sitting but i have more and longer breaks than before. One reason for this is there's no game that interests me as much as those in the past, but also the fact that i'm older and need more rest. We'll see what happens when Pantheon is finally released.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I work a lot, but usually i game from 930 pm to 1 am on most night after kid goes to sleep, i had a brutal stretch at work, but i if i am home alone which is rare with a wife and kid, ill play for a good 12 hours or so.

But usually ill get about 20+ hours in a week.

Playing conan exiles now, path of exile is my main game, but taking an extended brrak from it, even though new expansion comes out today.

Cryomatrix 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm still able to pull 72hr with certain life-enhancers. Nothing two weeks of regret wouldn't fix. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'll play one to five hours a day.  During that play time it may be with one to three different games, one at a time.  Then there's the games with daily reward logins that are pretty decent for just opening up the game, clicking a button, then logging out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I'm still able to pull 72hr with certain life-enhancers. Nothing two weeks of regret wouldn't fix. 
    What would that be formaldehyde ? I'd be dead after 72 hours of gaming.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    It really depends on the genre and the game, roleplaying games with turn-based mechanics I can play for 3-4 hours in one sitting, story based games somewhere between 45-90 minutes, intensive fps and other action games I usually take breaks between areas so maybe 45-60 minutes. 
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Early ESO? I've went 16 hours in and around Cyrodiil,
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    that varies wildly normaly from 1-4 hrs but i managed 36hrs the other day. have not been able to do that since my youth. So a bit proud of that :)
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Maybe a couple of hours a night. I try to limit the gaming as much as i can. I will never understand people that can play for hours everyday. I would get bored.
    Kyleran
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I only play for an hour to an hour-and-a-half before taking a break.  I do 6 minutes of physical therapy stretches for my hands at the end of each session.  I'll wait at least 45 minutes before another session, but often it's hours before I get back to it because of RL stuff.  In total I play about 3-4 hr/day.  I try to take care of my hands 'cause I'm not a big fan of Carpal Tunnel syndrome and also I'm old; don't want to have to quit gaming because of an injury.
    dougha1
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Whenever I actually sit down to play it usually get around 6 hours but how often I play varies a lot. Sometimes it can be 5 days in a week (depending on how I work), othertimes it can be one time in 2 weeks.

A new fun game or expansion makes me game more often, good summer or spring weather make me play less, good summers I don't play at all (but here in Sweden we usually have enough rainy days, a real good summer is rare).

Also, it depends on if I play pen and paper RPGs often or not, I prefer that to computer games.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    With my shit bucket and mini-fridge handy, I've been known to play a week or two at a time.  Y'know, just above what the average fella would put in.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I tend to do 2 3-hours sessions of some kind of entertainment a day, one before dinner and one after.  If I've just started a new game I really like, those sessions are probably both the same game, but more commonly at least one will be reading or multi-slacking between a phone game and some number puzzles and listening to music.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    My most ever may have been between 24-36 hours once. It was in a computer lab too :) back in college. 

Well, next time, my wife and kid are away and I actually have a day off. I'm going to try to hit 20 hours just so I can see if I could do it. I get bored of one single game now, so I was switching back between conan exiles and madden 2018 the other day. I may have to do that again. 

Cryomatrix

BTW: How the hell did you pull off 72 hours straight?
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    15-20 min
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    5 hours in the morning, 5 hours at night. With a full time job in between.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2017
    Depends on the game. If its mutiplayer arena like OW, CoD, etc, a couple of matches (sometimes 3) is enough for the day because i get bored really fast due to lack of content.

If its an mmorpg, anywhere between 1-5 hours.

If its a single player game, anything over 5 hours. Just spent about 15 hours in one sitting in horizon zero down last weekend, only in the starting zone and loved every second of it.

Good content keeps me entertained for hours. Repetitive content keeps me asleep for hours.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Akulas said:
    5 hours in the morning, 5 hours at night. With a full time job in between.
    You don't sleep much, do you? And live awefully close to your job... :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    2 to 3 hrs most nights on weekdays, more on weekends as time permits

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon