Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall - 2017 Wraps Up with Awesome News - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageCrowfall - 2017 Wraps Up with Awesome News - MMORPG.com

I believe ArtCraft may have cracked how to bring a crowdfunded game to market. The Crowfall team’s knowledge of the business side of the development has led to an additional $6 million investment, which according to their funding tracker was roughly an additional 60% in funds. And while expanding the Crowfall team is great news, their announcement to use those funds for marketing is equally excellent.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    The only great news I want is a release date.
    WalkinGlennJamesGoblinApridiseAlomarsakerMitaraViper482
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    The release in 2032 is fast approaching, guys!
    XarkoJamesGoblinBruceYeeMitaraViper482
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    That is grossly stretching what ANYONE would get excited about.
    There is NOTHING at all in this article worth noting and to claim that we might get excited over this...pfft ..seriously?
    I also detest using examples like POE or Diablo to try and give the game some credence,this game is NOTHING like POE or Diablo so mentioning them because of some window screen is sad.There team doesn't know how to create their own UI screens?

Even if they were like Diablo,that would do even more to turn me off than encourage me.This game ,put in simple terms,needs a boatload of money invested,a larger team a LOT more systems and PVE mechanics to bring about a true RPG with added MMO reasoning.

There is too much just so wrong the game will NEVER have a chance to be good,..."campaigns"...terrible idea and ruins any immersive thought of being a role playing game.
    Cash shops,,that is NEVER going to fly with me,PVP...couldn't care less about pvp.The focus FIRST and foremost should be a ROLE PLAYING game and NOT pvp.

Whatever this business is trying to sell me and others ,i am not buying it,they are making a cheap low budget offering and too much money going elsewhere instead of the game is NOT good either.Yeah marketing works because there is more focus on attaining money than the actual game,how does that interest me or a gamer in any fashion?

Artcraft needs to realize that i care about the GAME and absolutely NOTHING else,not some screenshot or some class or some marketing,or attaining money,it is the SUM the FINISHED sum of the product that matters.
    So for now ,this game remains at best ,a hopeful 3/10 and i see nothing to change that.
    JamesGoblinsakerMitarapantaro

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Wizardry said:
    There is NOTHING at all in this article worth noting and to claim that we might get excited over this...pfft ..seriously?
    I also detest using examples like POE or Diablo to try and give the game some credence,this game is NOTHING like POE or Diablo so mentioning them because of some window screen is sad.There team doesn't know how to create their own UI screens?

Even if they were like Diablo,that would do even more to turn me off than encourage me.This game ,put in simple terms,needs a boatload of money invested,a larger team a LOT more systems and PVE mechanics to bring about a true RPG with added MMO reasoning.

There is too much just so wrong the game will NEVER have a chance to be good,..."campaigns"...terrible idea and ruins any immersive thought of being a role playing game.
    Cash shops,,that is NEVER going to fly with me,PVP...couldn't care less about pvp.The focus FIRST and foremost should be a ROLE PLAYING game and NOT pvp.

Whatever this business is trying to sell me and others ,i am not buying it,they are making a cheap low budget offering and too much money going elsewhere instead of the game is NOT good either.Yeah marketing works because there is more focus on attaining money than the actual game,how does that interest me or a gamer in any fashion?

Artcraft needs to realize that i care about the GAME and absolutely NOTHING else,not some screenshot or some class or some marketing,or attaining money,it is the SUM the FINISHED sum of the product that matters.
    So for now ,this game remains at best ,a hopeful 3/10 and i see nothing to change that.
    Every game is a 0-3/10 for you. At least mix up your petty fake reviews once in a while if you want to appear legitimate.
    JamesGoblinJixen9Mitarapantaro
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Im looking forward to this one and I have been for a long while.

The additional funds can only be beneficial as it means they do not need to push the thing out the door way too early like some crowdfunded games do.
    JamesGoblin
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I hope the combat gets better. It's not left me satisfied when I tested it a year ago. And when I tried posting on their forums suggesting the combat becomes a little smoother, people told me to "git gud".

I think that's the biggest potential flaw. If the combat just isn't spot on and the vocal core community is against polishing it, we might end up with a mediocre game.
    ShaighJamesGoblinMitara
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Star Citizen raised far more money and is no closer to delivery than those that got no funding at all.

Until the game is released, it's vaporware.  Just because people throw money at it, doesn't make it a game.

Unless of course it's disguised as a loot box.
    sakerMitara
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited December 2017
    Aeander said:
    Wizardry said:

Every game is a 0-3/10 for you. At least mix up your petty fake reviews once in a while if you want to appear legitimate.
    I never see anything but his 100% honest "opinion" about games and for me at least that's refreshing in this day & age.

He does actually mention a few truths if you don't get triggered by seeing his name before reading what he writes like many do on this site.

Let me translate from Wizardry speak the best I can.

Crowfall being compared to Diablo and POE except Crowfall is mostly PVP and Diablo and POE are PVE.

Crowfall is closer to a moba with crafting along with a cash shop than an MMORPG but they are calling it an MMORPG rather than a moba, why that? Probably cause people write off mobas immediately and MMORPG's have vintage allure or the modern popularity of MMO's(Destiny 2) so going with MMORPG/MMO is probably the better bet for their image. Mobas and survival games have temporary modes and MMORPG/MMO's usually have persistence.

There have been a lot of articles recently by Artcraft focused on crowdfunding and morale boost pieces so I can understand his frustration. Also, Eternal Kingdoms to me kind of feel like a gimmick used to lure the classic MMORPG player who NEEDS persistence in their games. Eternal Kingdoms to me seem to be just another version of SotA's guild towns or player housing with a pinch of Albion + Landmark = instanced cash sink zone. SotA's towns, guild towns, housing ARE Eternal Kingdoms. Look at their cash shop and they are already selling cosmetics in a game that is still only available for "testing".

They've raised and continue to raise millions, are not building their own engine like CU but still feel they should add stuff to their store that is worth thousands of dollars? If you look at their features on their site all they have when you click the feature is concept art and no in depth description or video showing how it works in-game. This far down the line in development that is a HUGE wtf for me. Is it too much of a PITA after you've collected tens of millions to at least update your site with something more than concept art and a 1-2 line description?

As time goes by I'm more confident in CU's engine that may or may not ever be built than CF that's starting everyday to look more like a pvp Dauntless with cool races and classes.
    Alomar
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    To me, the exra $6mill raised sounds great. It will mean... lets see... they used $4mill to get this far, and another $6 mill is needed, so that means the release date just got moved to twice the current amount of time. Great...
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    edited December 2017

Aeander said:

Wizardry said:

They never said the whole game was like POE and Diablo...LOLO...Just the Equipment screen....Overdramatize much????
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251

BruceYee said:

Aeander said:

Wizardry said:

I never see anything but his 100% honest "opinion" about games and for me at least that's refreshing in this day & age.

He does actually mention a few truths if you don't get triggered by seeing his name before reading what he writes like many do on this site.

Let me translate from Wizardry speak the best I can.

Crowfall being compared to Diablo and POE except Crowfall is mostly PVP and Diablo and POE are PVE.

Crowfall is closer to a moba with crafting along with a cash shop than an MMORPG but they are calling it an MMORPG rather than a moba, why that? Probably cause people write off mobas immediately and MMORPG's have vintage allure or the modern popularity of MMO's(Destiny 2) so going with MMORPG/MMO is probably the better bet for their image. Mobas and survival games have temporary modes and MMORPG/MMO's usually have persistence.

There have been a lot of articles recently by Artcraft focused on crowdfunding and morale boost pieces so I can understand his frustration. Also, Eternal Kingdoms to me kind of feel like a gimmick used to lure the classic MMORPG player who NEEDS persistence in their games. Eternal Kingdoms to me seem to be just another version of SotA's guild towns or player housing with a pinch of Albion + Landmark = instanced cash sink zone. SotA's towns, guild towns, housing ARE Eternal Kingdoms. Look at their cash shop and they are already selling cosmetics in a game that is still only available for "testing".

They've raised and continue to raise millions, are not building their own engine like CU but still feel they should add stuff to their store that is worth thousands of dollars? If you look at their features on their site all they have when you click the feature is concept art and no in depth description or video showing how it works in-game. This far down the line in development that is a HUGE wtf for me. Is it too much of a PITA after you've collected tens of millions to at least update your site with something more than concept art and a 1-2 line description?

As time goes by I'm more confident in CU's engine that may or may not ever be built than CF that's starting everyday to look more like a pvp Dauntless with cool races and classes.

Am I missing something???? Because what I read is that the one screen is like Diablo and POE....Not the PvP or the gameplay...Just the damn Screen...LMAO....
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112

laxie said:

I hope the combat gets better. It's not left me satisfied when I tested it a year ago. And when I tried posting on their forums suggesting the combat becomes a little smoother, people told me to "git gud".

I think that's the biggest potential flaw. If the combat just isn't spot on and the vocal core community is against polishing it, we might end up with a mediocre game.

Git gud at criticism
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112

Mitara said:

To me, the exra $6mill raised sounds great. It will mean... lets see... they used $4mill to get this far, and another $6 mill is needed, so that means the release date just got moved to twice the current amount of time. Great...

They're going to use a significant portion of the new funds on marketing, which has zero effect on development timetables.

Git gud at reading
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

genaknosc said:

Mitara said:

They're going to use a significant portion of the new funds on marketing, which has zero effect on development timetables.

Git gud at reading

Marketing at this stage of development means more fundraising. It could be marketed for investment for example. It could be more conventionally marketed to raise more pre-sales as well. Or marketed to sell more in game land or items, and to marketed to reach investors interested in buying in that way. There is more than one market, you know.

It all means more money for development, which is a good thing, you know. Maybe management can concentrate more on delivering and developing a product if they have less marketing to worry about. There are legitimate reasons to hire a marketing team.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• BionicFoxBionicFox Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Awesome! Can't wait to play it :)!
    JamesGoblin