Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - The Ceremony of Eternal Bonding is Scarier Than Actual Marriage - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - The Ceremony of Eternal Bonding is Scarier Than Actual Marriage - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV means a lot to me and my partner. When I was about to study for my postgraduate degree in another city a few hours away, it occurred to us that this would be the first time that she and I would be forced to spend a long time apart from each other after years of living together while I got my diploma.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    This has commitment phobia written all over it. But the ring of teleportation sounds really nifty. :D

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited December 2017
    Don't know if it's because I've been a Role Player for the past 20+ years or not (ever since AOL 2.0 or so), but the prospect of the Eternal Bonding ceremony doesn't really frighten me. Been to several as a guest and it's an incredibly fun thing to behold. Super intricate and with some work that the two have to do to even get to that point -- both socially, together and with in-game quests having you travel across the world together to pray at each of the twelve's stones and ask for their blessing.

Though I'd have to say, that writing this article admitting you're embarrassed is a step in the right direction -- and possibly more embarrassing as a whole than playing a game you two enjoy and expressing your appreciation for one another with your character's ceremony. But I'm wholly aware that I've long since given up on what others think so long as me and my friends / partner / RP character friends / partners are all having fun -- as that's what it's all about. Making friends and memories and the like.

I suppose you should ask yourself what is it that really embarrasses you? Are you portraying yourself onto that character? Do you view, in your mind's eye, that it is someone different from you and they would be embarrassed? Perhaps what people would think about getting married inside of a game? Meh! We're all gamers, and it's a feature that gives a two seater mount, memories, teleportion to one another among other things.

The most important thing I think is what both you and she believe or want; if she'd like to partake in the ceremony, then it might be a time where we have to "man up" and do it for our S/O so that they either don't have to dismiss the idea entirely themselves or do it with a friend that's not you. Heck, if the two of you ever tie the knot in the future, you could even think about a FF themed wedding and also tie the knot in game shortly after or before. It may be that you subconsciously think it's silly to do so before actually doing it for reals. But as a whole no one is putting a machinist gun to your head and saying that you have to do it.

It's a piece of content that is missing from a lot of games when it should be present. Never in your face as "you have to do this", and neatly tucked away to be done only in the Twelve's building and such. Though we're gamers as a whole, playing a MMO JRPG and likely watching One Punch Man on a second screen while raiding Ivalice from FFXII and nerding out on old Final Fantasy characters before queuing for the new trailer of Star Wars or Marvel. If you've accepting all that, then the prospect of creating more memories in the game shouldn't phase you.

:P

Though in my opinion that "embarrassment" or friends making fun of you as you shyly laugh or smile towards it and go on with things is called happiness. People who care enough about you to do that, and doing it with / for another person as a whole. Don't be embarrassed to be happy or to make someone else such. When you go for something, own it without making excuses! That's super respectable.
    RexKushmanonyxskies
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Been to a couple of bonding ceremonies between members of my fc. It is really well done, and the efforts the players have made in outfits make the whole thing a great experience within the game.

Well done SE!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    To fair though, the marriage ceremonies in FFXI weren't badly done for their time either so I guess you can say you shouldn't expect anything less in this regard from SE.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2017
    FFXIV is just another way for grown-ups to play with (virtual) Barbie (and Ken) dolls.
    exile01zanfire
  • CaseykinsCaseykins Member UncommonPosts: 20
    title should be "The Ceremony of eternal bonding is scarier than actual marriage to this one specific person"
    forcelimaScotDanielleblue
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    edited December 2017
    Nice article and a good read.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Good article, something different, interesting and personal. People here should not judge, its your choice, and if you think its silly, or weird or whatever that's fine.

Good luck with your adventures!
  • onyxskiesonyxskies Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I've been married in at least 2 MMOs so far. It's not that scary at all. Sure, it may cause you to blush the first time or two you do it (especially once people start asking "babies when?" or when your partner starts spamming the "kiss" emote in the middle of a group of friends) but it's not a real commitment, most people dont think it's real, and unless you've let the lines of RPG blend with IRL, friendship is usually the deepest feeling you'll have with it.

Go marry your girl in game and have fun with it. It's a lot cheaper, easier, and less stressful than a real marriage and if you've been with her "half a dozen years" you've done things that are far more embarrassing than a virtual marriage.
    YashaX
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    That ceremony looks amazing, I haven't seen it done that well in other games.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    FFXIV is just another way for grown-ups to play with (virtual) Barbie (and Ken) dolls.
    Geezer: "Those damn free-wheelin' whipper-snappers. Not a care in the world, actin' all irresponsible and such. Now where did I put my bowl of stewed prunes?"

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Geezer: "Those damn free-wheelin' whipper-snappers. Not a care in the world, actin' all irresponsible and such. Now where did I put my bowl of stewed prunes?"
    Probably with where you left your teeth.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    kitarad said:
    Probably with where you left your teeth.
    Yeah :-)

Truth is, there's a good chance I'm older than he is, but thankfully less constipated.