Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MHO shuts down after less than 6 months on consoles. Microsoft offering refunds, NA Sony is not.

Comments

• vomomotovomomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Zegaloth said:
    FYI Sony is also giving out refunds. I got a message on 12/02/2017 Saying that they would.
    They are giving half assed refunds after media attention and BBB complaints. If you spent money before 8/17, you get nothing back. 
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Pretty classy of Microsoft if true,  must be trying to tone down their "evil empire" image.

Sometimes it's good to be working with a firm which has truckloads of money.

The Empire Strikes Back! But cuddly and all touchy feely. :)

This. But more importantly, congrats on those 25 Agrees. Keep up the great work. :smile:
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    What I've read is that MS requires companies to provide their online services for a certain period of time or refund players.  Sony does not have such a requirement.

I'd still have to guess that MS is paying out of pocket as Gaz is going bankrupt and their creditors probably get first dibs on any assets.
    Yeah, I read that also. Microsoft makes them sign agreements that their game will run for at least one year.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs, but also a bit smug since I feel like they screwed over the PC players in an attempt to cater to consoles. It didn't end well for them.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I think this is the first time I've seen the "doom sayer" crowd actually be correct about something.  Right when the console version released there was a lot of chatter about it.  

Good thing the game sucked and I didn't spend any money on it.
    I think this is the first time I've seen the "doom sayer" crowd actually be correct about something.  Right when the console version released there was a lot of chatter about it.  

Good thing the game sucked and I didn't spend any money on it.
    Same thing happened to SWG with NGE. Last few Firefall patches too, and don't forget WAR.
    Any time a massive change or dumbing down of a game occurs, the core audience has a high chance of moving on.
    WoW is the only exception where they constantly dumb it down and people still keep playing.

Avarix said:
    What I've read is that MS requires companies to provide their online services for a certain period of time or refund players.  Sony does not have such a requirement.

Yeah, I read that also. Microsoft makes them sign agreements that their game will run for at least one year.

And this should be made public everywhere. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bought a PS4. Such a stupid thing to let slip.

Can you imagine that Sony conversation? "Hey yeah, lets make it so that you can release an online game on PSN that can die after a few weeks. Its cool, we all make money off it, and the suckers that bought it, well fudge them."
    jimmywolf
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Avarix said:

Agreements like that are useless because companies, particularly small ones, can just go bankrupt and dissolve, as in this case.

Sure, MS is a trooper to refund back to consumers, but MS is not going to recoup anything no matter what the original agreement says.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Avarix said:

Agreements like that are useless because companies, particularly small ones, can just go bankrupt and dissolve, as in this case.

Sure, MS is a trooper to refund back to consumers, but MS is not going to recoup anything no matter what the original agreement says.
    Microsoft is recouping goodwill.  The refunds can probably be paid out of Microsoft's petty cash drawer.
    Octagon7711vomomoto

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Avarix said:

Those agreements are useless to Microsoft's money when it comes to such things but not so useless to Microsoft's customer confidence in their product.  If the consumer is aware that Microsoft has such a policy in place, they're that much more willing to spend money on games because they know it has a guaranteed one-year warranty from Microsoft, and customers that are willing to spend money is a good thing for a business.
    vomomoto
    Tiamat64 said:

Those agreements are useless to Microsoft's money when it comes to such things but not so useless to Microsoft's customer confidence in their product. 
    Yes it is.

All they need to know is that MS is going to refund. Whether the refund comes out of MS, or there is an agreement is totally irrelevant. 
    vomomoto
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:

Those agreements are useless to Microsoft's money when it comes to such things but not so useless to Microsoft's customer confidence in their product. 
    Yes it is.

All they need to know is that MS is going to refund. Whether the refund comes out of MS, or there is an agreement is totally irrelevant. 
    No it's not.  Having an agreement means that Microsoft will at least get some money some of the time from the companies that don't go bankrupt.  Sure, they'll still lose money on the ones that do, but not on the ones that don't, which is better than nothing, especially considering that most companies don't go bankrupt that easily.  Gazillion was just THAT horrible.

If such agreements were so worthless, you wouldn't see a huge company like microsoft bothering with them.  I think I'll trust the multi-billion dollar company's judgement on what's useful and what isn't in business agreements over you.
    vomomoto
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:

No it's not.  Having an agreement means that Microsoft will at least get some money some of the time from the companies that don't go bankrupt. 

So? What consumer will care if a big company like MS gets some money or not.

They only care if they get a refund. Don't tell me you care about MS. I certainly don't give a rat *ss whether MS makes $1B or $0.9B just because they have to pay out a bunch of refunds.
    vomomoto
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:

No it's not.  Having an agreement means that Microsoft will at least get some money some of the time from the companies that don't go bankrupt. 

They only care if they get a refund. Don't tell me you care about MS. I certainly don't give a rat *ss whether MS makes $1B or $0.9B just because they have to pay out a bunch of refunds.
    Avarix said:

Don't be such a tsundere, you caring care bear you.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Avarix said:

Microsoft is recouping goodwill.  The refunds can probably be paid out of Microsoft's petty cash drawer.
    Too bad the xbox game library suck ass. So unless they give free ps4 pro to each xbox bought i dont care about them. 
    Tiamat64 said:

I'm the same way. Don't really care who gives me a refund, as long as I get one if the product goes belly up in the first few months.

Gaz knew months prior to console launch that they are in trouble, yet they kept pushing this game out and tricked countless consumers. They wanted to discontinue the PC version MONTHS before the console version was announced. No idea why this is not a bigger deal. Those morons need to get sued for that.

Hell, one of the developers is saying he wants his money back for Star Citizen because they did not deliver on what they promised. No idea how he can even post that. Gaz is guilty of the same exact thing, and worse.

The tool literally says "They’ve missed every deadline they have ever set for themselves. It’s insanity. I’m debating going the refund route. Many have and have been successful.".

Can't believe he will actually get a job with some other video game company. Oh well, at least I will know who NOT to buy games from.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Classy move by Microsoft to their customers regardless of Microsoft's intent.  Not an unexpected reaction by Sony.  Even back in Sony's EQ-rules MMO days their SOE's customer service always had a resistance to decency.  Sony's SOE often acted like if we can get away with it we will & do as little contrition as possible but only after several denials.  Many companies are like that nowadays though.
    Octagon7711vomomoto
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Wondering if they knew the game was shutting down prior, to cash in as much as they can before it went to console?
    Wondering if they knew the game was shutting down prior, to cash in as much as they can before it went to console?
    Oh, those cheating assholes knew. They knew all along. Discord chat log with the developers:
    https://ibb.co/einZcw
    "Basically people were kind of wrong about the PC contract, and it had already expired. We were negotiating it while creating the console version and basically this axe almost came to PC about 6 months ago."
    Right from Zurick's mouth. 
    vomomoto said:

I'm the same way. Don't really care who gives me a refund, as long as I get one if the product goes belly up in the first few months.

Gaz knew months prior to console launch that they are in trouble, yet they kept pushing this game out and tricked countless consumers. They wanted to discontinue the PC version MONTHS before the console version was announced. No idea why this is not a bigger deal. Those morons need to get sued for that.

Yeh.

And it would be fun to watch MS (or anyone else) sue the ex-CEO and officers of Gaz. They probably committed some kind of fraud if they negotiate based on bad faith.

But aside from the fun of watching a train wreck, i really don't care if MS or Gaz pays for the refunds (not that i need one). 
    vomomoto
    vomomoto said:

Yeh.

And it would be fun to watch MS (or anyone else) sue the ex-CEO and officers of Gaz. They probably committed some kind of fraud if they negotiate based on bad faith.

But aside from the fun of watching a train wreck, i really don't care if MS or Gaz pays for the refunds (not that i need one). 
    As I previously said, yes they committed fraud.

Discord chat log with the developers:
    https://ibb.co/einZcw
    They knew they lost the license.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=s6mW9TC7CDg
    Piece of garbage CEO tells everyone they have a 5 year license with Disney. 

Really wish someone does something about it, but that will never happen.
    The problem is there's nothing left to legally sue or legally prosecute.  Gaz as a company is like, deader than dead, to the point where it had nothing left for anyone to inherit after the banks got their debts back (which the banks probably didn't even fully get back so even the banks lost out on this one).  Sueing it or indicting it for fraud is like arresting and pressing charges on a corpse.

Legally going after the specific human individuals behind it is going to be a lot harder to do, I imagine.  Although in some cases, it would be nice.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    vomomoto said:
    vomomoto said:

Yeh.

they HAD a 5 year license on consoles when he said that.  That contract had stipulations that allowed for it to be taken away under certain circumstances.  There was no fraud when he made that statement.
    Tiamat64 said:

Legally going after the specific human individuals behind it is going to be a lot harder to do, I imagine.  Although in some cases, it would be nice.
    and it will accomplish nothing except may be some satisfaction which is NOT how business works. No money ... no lawsuit.

If there is indeed fraud, it is not MS's or any consumer's business to sue. It is the appropriate prosecutor's office. 
    vomomoto said:
    vomomoto said:

Yeh.

they HAD a 5 year license on consoles when he said that.  That contract had stipulations that allowed for it to be taken away under certain circumstances.  There was no fraud when he made that statement.
    Not according to the image I posted of a discord chat log with the (ex) developers. At that time they were still trying to secure it.
    vomomoto said:

Not according to the image I posted of a discord chat log with the (ex) developers. At that time they were still trying to secure it.

he lied on an interview. He stretched the truth on an interview. He did not lie on an interview. Does it even matter when Gaz was going down anyway?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited December 2017

vomomoto said:
    vomomoto said:
    vomomoto said:

Yeh.

From what I remember, he only addresses the console license in the interview.  they had lost it years before by not developing it.  We asked them to address the PC license on the forums and they refused.

The PC license was always separate and yes they hid that it expired last June or so

Anyway it doesn't matter.  The company is defunct.