Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Free Trial to Possibly Become a Permanent Fixture Starting Dec 20th - Shroud of the Avatar

2»

Comments

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    ET3D said:
    Just wanted to say that I tend to listen to people who sound like reasonable human beings, and don't call other names or use ad hominem arguments in general. So I think I'll check out the game. Not that I think it's all peachy, but I'm just anti-anti.
    Oh no, you're checking out a FREE TRIAL!  That'll sure showed everyone!  Fight the power!  FOR FREE!!!

But as soon as the game starts asking you for cash, will you be so "anti-anti" then?  Where's the toughness then?  Cause you ain't gonna spend, are you? Where were you when Shroud of Avatar didn't have a free trial, huh!?  Yea, that's what I thought.  So go.  Go check it out for free but don't spend a dime despite how the game desperately needs your financial support because that'll show how much of an awesome anti-anti rebel you are.  FOR FREE.
    xyzercrime
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The game has to earn our support by being a good game, and a free trial is part of the process of finding out.
    Silverfoot[Deleted User]sschrupp
  • SilverfootSilverfoot Member UncommonPosts: 12

ET3D said:

Just wanted to say that I tend to listen to people who sound like reasonable human beings, and don't call other names or use ad hominem arguments in general. So I think I'll check out the game. Not that I think it's all peachy, but I'm just anti-anti.

Good for you! See, even if you make a simple statement, these same folks will jump all over you and bash your opinion. If one hates something as benign as a game it's time to move on in life.
    Aeander
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    UPDATED:

UPDATE: The original article was based on early patch notes, not the final notes that will go up early next week. We'll keep you posted when those patch notes are available.

An early version of Release 49 for Shroud of the Avatar have been published with a brief mention of the free trial experience possibly becoming a permanent fixture for the game starting on December 20th. If it makes the final patch, free trial players will play on the Courage Path as developers consider starting off with a sword is simpler than starting with a bow. Free Trial players will be able to advance each skill to level 50. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

ET3D said:

Good for you! See, even if you make a simple statement, these same folks will jump all over you and bash your opinion. If one hates something as benign as a game it's time to move on in life. 

Youre trying to dupe people and im calling you out. 

You didnt offer an opinion, you tried to pass off a lie as fact.
    Ice-QueenSilverfootAeander

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Darkstarr made an announcement that the game is going to be freemium now.  https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/visitor-system-aka-free-trial-updates.105876/#post-915406

They've been moderating and locking threads that say they're going F2P and they're pushing hard for people to call it freemium and not F2P.   It's more F2P than freemium though unless they are planning to create a microtransaction store for game services purchased on the fly.
    Ice-QueenSilverfoot
  • VladamirBegemotVladamirBegemot Member UncommonPosts: 100

Darkstarr made an announcement that the game is going to be freemium now.  https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/visitor-system-aka-free-trial-updates.105876/#post-915406

They've been moderating and locking threads that say they're going F2P and they're pushing hard for people to call it freemium and not F2P.   It's more F2P than freemium though unless they are planning to create a microtransaction store for game services purchased on the fly.

He said you could call it that through some definitions. They based their model of WoW, so if you call WoW freemium then you could theoretically call SotA freemium.

"Well yes you could use some definitions of “freemium” to conclude that our limited free trial being available at almost all times makes us a type of freemium game. For us to truly be considered free to play though, all the above limits would need to be accessible after some amount of playtime but unlocked “quickly” through purchase.

It is worth noting that we modeled our free trial limits after World of Warcraft Starter Edition and we are not sure anyone refers to them as free to play nor even freemium."
    Silverfoot
    Here's the whole post:

Greetings Avatars,

With Release 49 we are making a few updates to our Visitor System (aka Free Trial). We are moving Free Trial users to the Path of Courage because using melee weapons is an easier introduction to the combat system. We are also going to limit interaction with the story to only the Path of Courage. Visitors will no longer be able to start the other story paths. Also, we are now going to limit how far Visitors can advance their skills to only level 50.

Making these changes will allow us to leave the free trial up almost continually therefore maximizing the ability for customers to try the game before they buy (previously the free trial was available 3 weeks out of the month). We feel firmly that giving customers this no obligation opportunity is great for the health of the game and a fair business practice that we wish to pursue.

Here is the updated list of Visitor limits:
    The term (Visitor) is appended to their character name
    Can only advance skills up to Level 50 (previously there was no skill cap)
    Can only play on the Path of Courage (previously there was no limit to story)
    Cannot start the Paths of Love nor Truth
    Cannot give items to other players via Trade
    Cannot purchase nor sell items via Player Vendors nor Public Vendors
    No ownership of property nor use of lot signs
    Cannot interact with public chests.
    Cannot move/interact with items on a plot even if they are given permissions.
    Cannot flag as Open PVP
    Cannot gain nor create ransom items when you kill or are killed in PVP (in Open PVP zones)
    Cannot play in Offline Mode
    Free Trial Access may be restricted during certain times of the year
    We have seen some reactions to this information along the lines of “doesn’t this make Shroud free to play?” Well yes you could use some definitions of “freemium” to conclude that our limited free trial being available at almost all times makes us a type of freemium game. For us to truly be considered free to play though, all the above limits would need to be accessible after some amount of playtime but unlocked “quickly” through purchase.

It is worth noting that we modeled our free trial limits after World of Warcraft Starter Edition and we are not sure anyone refers to them as free to play nor even freemium.

In the end we do not consider these labels important. What we consider important is a customer’s ability to try before they buy while preserving the game economy from potential abuse (hence the restrictions on trade and ownership).
    Silverfootbartoni33LeFantome

He said you could call it that through some definitions. They based their model of WoW, so if you call WoW freemium then you could theoretically call SotA freemium.

"Well yes you could use some definitions of “freemium” to conclude that our limited free trial being available at almost all times makes us a type of freemium game. For us to truly be considered free to play though, all the above limits would need to be accessible after some amount of playtime but unlocked “quickly” through purchase.

It is worth noting that we modeled our free trial limits after World of Warcraft Starter Edition and we are not sure anyone refers to them as free to play nor even freemium."

They rename stuff all the time, it's a little game they play with their players.  Like how they don't use alpha or beta to describe the state of development because that's too old school and how when they talk about commercial launch is doesn't count as official if the word launch doesn't start with a capital letter L.  This is the same thing, they're just messing around with their players.

F2P and Freemium.  Everyone knows what that is and it's what Portalarium is doing with their game based on what Darkstarr said.  They are giving access to the game without having to pay, that's called Free-to-Play.  But they are also putting content behind microtransactions, that's called Freemium.

If it walks like a dog and it smells like a dog and it barks like a dog, it's a dog.  In case you were wondering, the dog is a metaphor for SotA going Free-to-Play.
    Silverfootxyzercrime
    So is Wow freemium?
    LeFantome
    edited December 2017
    Double post
    Post edited by VladamirBegemot on
    LeFantome
    Torval said:
    Man some of you guys stay so salty about this stuff. People can download and check out the game for free now. Complain about games that don't offer you an anytime free trial but want money first.

I'm playing a demo of a game on Steam. I get to decide after trying it. Now if a game pulls an AoC with Tortage as the demo then I'd be pissed. But this game is pretty much the same throughout and gets more interesting the more skills you unlock.

Surprised more than salty since they're still in pre-alpha.  They've been defending their low population numbers by saying they don't want to advertise the game or attract new players because the game isn't ready.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I always avoid games that reek of cult.
    This man sold his blood and his followers happily bought it.

That's not people I want to socialize with.
    RexKushmanSilverfootxyzercrime
    Harbinger of Fools
  • rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Not an MMO, selective multiplayer is an mmo...

Free to play, not free to play, freemium

Alpha, beta, early access...our game design is so new not to have those titles mean anything.

Kickstarter, funding drives....no promises from kickstarter matter anymore or trivially.

Yes, these people should be trusted.
    DakeruxyzercrimeLeFantome
  • mutatedwombatmutatedwombat Member UncommonPosts: 3
    There are conflicting opinions here, and they can't all be correct. Not to worry: the game has a permanent free trial now (with restrictions noted in an earlier post), so people can make up their own minds.