Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five New MMOs We Want to Know More About - General Columns

13»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Oh, look. A list of 5 games... oh wait math is hard for game "journalist"... 10 games I couldn't care less about.
    Tazdrago said:

Yanocchi said:

Diablo Online? I think the time for that one has passed because Path of Exile has filled that nich quite nicely.

I had almost forgotten everything about Jumpgate Evolution. When I saw the title mentioned here, for a second here I had a feeling of concern for the future of Star Citizen and that maybe Derek Smart could be right. :D

POE is not a MMORPG.
    Neither are 90% of the "mmos" on this site.
    They had to change the definition from massive to games where more than one person can play.
    [Deleted User]
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Sovrath said:

Diablo Online

Years and YEARS ago I wrote Blizzard and expressed interest in a "Diablo Online".

This was way before Diablo 3 existed with its new art style. The Diablo Online I was interested in was more gritty like the first two games.

oh, well, might still be interesting if it is true and comes to fruition.

The first two games aren't any more gritty than D3. They just look different have have different systems in different places. That's it. Your rhetoric sounds attractive, but it means almost nothing.

I don't think Blizzard should bother with Diablo unless they're doing a real MMORPG, perhaps with the Overwatch Engine that runs so well even on lower end machines.

Though, I'm guessing Diablo as an MMARPG would be similar to... Guild Wars II? If that's the case, I'd play it :-P

I'd probably play it, because Blizzard tends to churn out efficient, inclusive code; and they're probably the most reliable MMORPG developer out there. I don't expect a Diablo MMO[A]RPG to go P2W or anything, and Blizzard actually has decent customer support.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Loke666 said:

Kyleran said:

Manasu said:

How could you forgot Amazon's New World??

Well Amazon's initial venture into creating games was pretty underwhelming so I suspect hopes aren't very high for New World.

Making MMOs is hard you know....

:)

To be fair did Carbine reach the list and at least Amazon have the budget to make something good. 

While Blizzard have showed us that it is all about loot in Wow for years I am not so convinced that they are working on World of Diablo... The gameplay would be a bit too much like Wow and if they want to replace it Wow2 would be a certain big hit. World of Diablo have potential but it is nowhere as certain. Personally would I rather have a MMO based on their lost vikings instead, that would actually stand out and have the potential of being different and fun.

The only game I see on the list that will become a hit (not counting Diablo which I don't really think is in the making) is L3, it will probably even do well in the west. 

WoW 2 would cannibalize WoW. WoW 2 isn't really viable for Blizzard until they're getting ready to sunset World of Warcraft. At that point, they can "do an EQ2," but without the problems that EQ2 ran into (most EQ players staying on EQ1, for one, was probably not something SOE was projecting). A Diablo MMO (or MMOARPG - which I kind of consider GW2 to be closer to) would be a nice alternative to WoW [2] for people who want something else to play. It might even have a B2P with paid expansions business model, similar to D3 and GW2.

I've never been able to get into GW2, because ANet has monetized the story content too much. The leveling experience was nice mostly because of the story content, and then the pay walls started showing up so I just let it go. I did buy the expansion, and barely ever played it (maybe 1 hour total)... Not buying the latest expansion because it would be a waste of money.

I'm very cynical of microtransactions because the whole point of them is to get you to ignorantly spend more "than a subscription" due to the illusion of the individual purchases being "quite cheap."

So games that depend on them, I just quit or don't bother playing at all.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited December 2017
    goddamnit!!!!!!!!!!!

last time I promise

Dual Universe
    https://www.dualthegame.com/

(intresting how the planet terrain assets are exactly the same as Space Engineers)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Every year these lists just get less and less appealing.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I wish I could read an article about games and know if any of these games are of interest to me. It should be SOP to state the type of game it is. My gut instinct now is to just consider them all non-mmorpgs now. The Diablo one will probably be some sort of mmorpg but considering Blizzard's recent trend of removing any and all complexity and thinking from games and making them as child and console friendly as possible we can that one off safely as going into the "who gives a shit" genre for kids and other people who do not enjoy thinking in their video game hobby.
  • DolnorDolnor Member UncommonPosts: 32
    The press was misled on Jumpgate: Evolution. Gazillion told everyone that it was a re-vamp of the NetDevil created game JumpGate. Unfortunately, Gazillion STRIPPED EVERYTHING OUT except ship-to-ship battle arena portion. They had NO INTENTION of allowing any trade runs, mining, etc. that NetDevil brought in with the original. Gazillion basically hoped people would play the game based solely on ship-to-ship battles in an enclosed space. Planets were removed, travel was removed, trade was removed, space stations were removed, customization was only for upgrading ships. I saw a preview of the game at E3 2010...it was a shell of the original Jumpgate.

Gazillion willfully destroyed Jumpgate ever having an Evolution. -(

TQQdles™
    Ozmodan
  • chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    dont care aobut any of those and that means im done wiht diablo

its main theme to me was when i was hurt at work had ot make a ton of $$$ cutback but i got that game and played it offline for 4 months while i recovered ....no into this single player needs be online and looks like actvison blzzard are going full retard on it just like EA...

well ubisoft here i come i guess...
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    I'd pay for Diablo Online if it plays like a standard MMO more or less. I like the traditional style games (lotro, Wow, FFXIV:ARR) and the Lore for Diablo would be great I'm sure.
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Sovrath said:

Wizardry said:

Something i forgot to mention,i see most of these as being developers that are moving more into cash shop gaming,something i am 100% against.If there is no early access packages and no cash shop and no hand holding,i might take notice of one of these games,LUCKY to see 1 of these not fall into category ..."forget about it".

It seems most games coming out have cash shops. This is it, this is the new reality. If you think there are going to be a LOT of games coming out that don't offer some sort of cash shop then you are mistaken.

It's not a question of whether there will be a cash shop, it's a question of whether it's horrible or not.

Try ARK. No cash shop, none coming.

I've set up my cluster (all 4 of the official maps with Ab coming tomorrow) like an MMO. The Ils is starter/leveling server, SE is next in difficulty, The Center gets a little harder and Rag is over official difficulty levels. Minecraft style building with no instanced housing and place almost anywhere ala SWG, heavily modded, PVE/PVP (PVP by consent only). boss instances, cave runs/non instanced ala SWG again, taming animals, complete sandbox, no quests, etc etc etc.

In fact, we're having a Christmas event (dec 22-Jan 2) where XP is turned up to 10 on our starter map only. ARKCHOICE.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Ahh yes...Firefall...simply the most fun I have ever had in an MMO (in beta).

yeah, How they managed to botch that up is still a mystery to me. Hell, even after release and up until 1.3 it was still a lot of fun though not as good as it had been. 1.6 and beyond was just the most epic fail ever. Larger than SWG's NGE if you ask me...