Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So you are happy with the direction It's going?

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

Outside of the game, I believed MMOs would grow to influence much more of our lives. 

lol .. are we talking about entertainment here? I am glad they don't "influence much more of our lives". 
    For those of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s, TV influenced our lives a ton.  Entertainment shapes culture.
    That would explain why things are getting a bit dull these days.  To much work hard, be nice, and take care of family and friends or you are evil going on.  A good example is in Dirk Gently (which I actually like).  Amanda is chewing out her brother in season 2 and says it's easy to hide in your room.  Actually, that is quite false.  It's easy to go out into society and go with the flow of what it wants you to do.  There are way too many self-righteous people in entertainment these days IMO.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited December 2017
    Dvora said:
    Not as glitzy as I expected but in some ways more fulfilling...
    lol I think I could say the opposite on both counts.
    It could have to do with the fact I've stuck with an indie MMO game the last 14 years.  Very much off-the-beaten trail...

I was thinking mainly back to when I first saw a friend play EQ.  "This is the future" I thought... and in some ways I was right.  I knew some things were just sort of ad hoc mechanics based on the limitations of the hardware and what not at the time, as others in this thread have noted.  Some of those ad hoc mechanics have been surprisingly tenacious since the 90's...

Then I found an indie game that was basing their game on physics.  Yes, real physics, in a MMO.  This was in 2003, mind you.  "This is it" I thought... "this is going to be huge".

...it didn't turn out to be huge.  At least, not as huge as I was expecting.

In the meantime, a WarCraft III custom map eventually spawned an entire genre of games launching businesses and floating e-sports.  Aspects of that indie MMO I love were incorporated into multiplayer games.

In short, what I thought people would love about my game of choice in a MMO setting turned out to be what most gamers apparently love in minimally-multiplayer settings, sans persistence.

At the same time, I found I was able to develop a large amount of influence within the community of the game I play; the experience was fulfilling for reasons other than what I expected.
    KyleranMendelAlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited December 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Eldurian said:
    We've taken 10 years to find out that consumers don't want repackaged WoW over and over. And really the main game development companies still haven't figured that out.
    Seems to me that at least 3 main MMORPG development companies actually HAVE figured that out.
    Since August 2012, AAA developers try something different. And it works. Except for those who actually believed they didn't want WoW/EQ clones, but are actually lost without them.
    Obviously the definition of "Repackaged WoW", "WoW Clone" etc. is up for considerable debate.

I'd consider any general game that follows the general model of quest grinding to level cap and then running "endgame" content for "endgame" gear with some other major tropes like factions you select during character creation "zones" that are segregated by level and PvP status etc. All coming together to form "Repackaged WoW". So that would even include titles such as ArcheAge, Elder Scrolls Online, etc that may break the mold in a few key ways but still follow the same general model.

I have noticed Themeparks these days tend to depart from WoW in more ways, and more meaningful ways, but overall they still just feel like repackaged WoW with some fancy new bells and whistles.

The only two AAA titles that come to mind that break this model enough to be considered something different entirely are EVE and Runescape. And of course those are both actually indie titles that launched their company into AAA status with their success. 

I'm curious which three you think are not though.
    If we listen to you, everything is an EQ/WoW clone.
    I think you confuse "theme park" with "EQ/WoW clone". Yeah, theme parks are theme parks, no kidding, but they aren't all a clone.
    Absolutely. The themepark model is probably the most cloned model in history.

I've already cited 3 examples of MMOs that do not qualify as WoW clones by my definition. EVE, Runescape, Wurm. There are other titles that could fit in there. Darkfall, Mortal Online, etc. I'm not going to give game devs a pass and say "These are not clones" just because 99% of MMO developers choose to make clones though.

But the ammount of features shared in common by themeparks is narrow enough to consider them all clones IMO. Age of Empires and Total War exist in the same genre (Real time strategy.) Empire Earth is an Age of Empires clone because it follows the same general model. Total War is not, it just shares a few key elements.

Themeparks aren't a real genre. It's just a label thrown over the same general game model cloned so many times people started calling it a genre.
    AlBQuirky
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Robokapp said:

And those are also games classified as MMOs on the gamelist of this site. Sure, we can add online poker if you define them as MMOs too.
    not by us as players so it makes no difference.
    who are "us"? Players do not agree. Just go back and read some of the "MMO classification" topics.

If you go by the players, there is no consensus definition, unless by "us players", you mean "you". 

lol .. are we talking about entertainment here? I am glad they don't "influence much more of our lives". 
    For those of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s, TV influenced our lives a ton.  Entertainment shapes culture.

But is that a good thing? Do you talk like a tv character? Or dress like one? Don't get me wrong, i do enjoy a good tv show. But i was not going to start befriending 13 years old girls and hide them in a cabin just because that seems cool on The Stranger Things season 2. 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

But is that a good thing? Do you talk like a tv character? Or dress like one? Don't get me wrong, i do enjoy a good tv show. But i was not going to start befriending 13 years old girls and hide them in a cabin just because that seems cool on The Stranger Things season 2. 
    I think I've gained some of my ability to be persuasive, funny, and aware of body language from tv and movies.  Certainly tv has a huge impact on what people dress like.  But you're talking to a woman who has dressed like a hippie, goth, or punk at various points in high school and college.  ;)  I've had my hair black, red, blue-green, purple, in a mohawk, down to my hips...
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

I think I've gained some of my ability to be persuasive, funny, and aware of body language from tv and movies.  Certainly tv has a huge impact on what people dress like.  But you're talking to a woman who has dressed like a hippie, goth, or punk at various points in high school and college.  ;)  I've had my hair black, red, blue-green, purple, in a mohawk, down to my hips...

wow .. now i have more respect for you. I have never dressed beyond the narrow parameters of "business casual" for decades :(
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

While Stranger Things is great and all, can't say I would be adverse to befriending a few hot female prison inmates

"I'll be back" c'mon who doesn't love quoting famous movie lines

"Not even in the face of Armageddon"

B)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited December 2017
    Eldurian said:
    I was really expecting MMOs to be the pinnacle of gaming. They have far more potential than any other genre. But we've got stuck in this endless loop of making the same general game over and over. In the early 2000s the games that were the best examples of the raw potential of MMOs and what that could someday be were EVE and Wurm.

In 2017, soon to be 2018, the best examples of the raw potential of MMOs and what they could someday be are EVE and Wurm.

We've taken 10 years to find out that consumers don't want repackaged WoW over and over. And really the main game development companies still haven't figured that out. The only reason there is potential for decent MMOs at some point in our future is kickstarters.
    Agreed.

The funny thing is that a lot of people still claim they want something just like Wow but whenever one releases they play it for 2 weeks before getting tired of it.

When one compare the difference between innovation 1996-2003 and 204-2017 it is a rather sad thing. Usually innovation the last era is small features like group finders and similar. A few are better like dynamic events but those have never been used as well as they should.

And often when someone have a good idea like phasing they overuse it so instead of being a fun thing it get annoying really fast. Let's not even mention cutscenes...

The worst thing is that the skill rotation that annoyed me in Meridian 59 is still there, just worse. 
    Homers idea of having one of those drinking birds to handle they keyboard could probably win most PvE combat today.

Edit: I didn't mean to post the picture 4 times, odd error.
    Post edited by Loke666 on
    postlarvalAeliousAlBQuirky
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

wow .. now i have more respect for you. I have never dressed beyond the narrow parameters of "business casual" for decades :(
    Lol, well I'll take that as a compliment.  I'm not really sure why one wouldn't wear printed t-shirts and shorts on summer weekends, or warm fleece pants on winter weekends.  I do have a friend who absolutely refuses to wear anything but the most ordinary clothes in public because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself.  When he was a kid he didn't get any support for doing anything creative, and then in high school he was bullied.  I've also known women who refuse to wear anything but the most concealing clothes due to having been bullied or sexualy harassed, or just having a deep discomfort with their body so they don't want it to be on display in any way.

Me, I have had an excess of creativity coming out my ears since I was little, and I was never that concerned with other people's opinions.  Though there are things I won't wear, mainly makeup and dresses.  Not cause I hate them, but I'm not willing to go to that much work and they're not part of the image I want to present.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    What has mostly happened to the progression of MMORPGs is that computers stopped getting faster.  There were a lot of good ideas, that were implausible back in the day and still implausible now. 

We won't see much improvement until computers actually make a leap in something more meaningful than graphics.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:

While Stranger Things is great and all, can't say I would be adverse to befriending a few hot female prison inmates

B)
    Stranger Things is far over rated. 
    Its not bad...but it doesnt rise to the quality of its fame by a long shot. All my personal friends (yes its true I have them) agree
    postlarvalAlBQuirky

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• setsua28setsua28 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Short answer: No

Long answer:  No but i still play my older school MMO games and maybe a new MMO once in awhile. I`m Enjoying FFXIV so far.
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    Its not bad...but it doesnt rise to the quality of its fame by a long shot. All my personal friends (yes its true I have them) agree
    Reminds me those guys who were like "I don't understand all my relatives and friends voted for Clinton, how could Trump have won?" ;)
    wat?

no I was just pointing out that I am not the only person on the planet who thinks its over rated and all my friends thought the same thing independently which is EXTREEMLY statically unlikely to happen in a micro-vacuum.

regardless. yes the majority of people love it, but the reality is the plot and story line is really not that amazing.

if you want something more intresting let me know I have a good list :)

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    Reminds me those guys who were like "I don't understand all my relatives and friends voted for Clinton, how could Trump have won?" ;)
    wat?

no I was just pointing out that I am not the only person on the planet who thinks its over rated and all my friends thought the same thing independently which is EXTREEMLY statically unlikely to happen in a micro-vacuum.

regardless. yes the majority of people love it, but the reality is the plot and story line is really not that amazing.

I like Stranger Things a lot myself.  I think it is very reminiscent of the 80s aside from the kids being too well behaved, the kids being too intelligent, and there was no nude scene which was almost always a staple of horror movies from the 80s.  It's also not scary.  None the less it's fun to watch.  It's the 80s modified to fit modern day belief of how life should be (family oriented with a focus on intelligence over fun and stupidity).  Having grown up in the 80s and 90s I prefer the actual 80s movies, but that doesn't take away from it being an entertaining show.  To each their own.
    Kyleran
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    wat?

I like Stranger Things a lot myself.  I think it is very reminiscent of the 80s aside from the kids being too well behaved, the kids being too intelligent, and there was no nude scene which was almost always a staple of horror movies from the 80s.  It's also not scary.  None the less it's fun to watch.  It's the 80s modified to fit modern day belief of how life should be (family oriented with a focus on intelligence over fun and stupidity).  Having grown up in the 80s and 90s I prefer the actual 80s movies, but that doesn't take away from it being an entertaining show.  To each their own.
    what people are falling over themselves about on Stranger Things is the setting. I agree the 80s redue is done extreemly well.

But the actual story and actual plot is not really much to it.

SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    wat?

what people are falling over themselves about on Stranger Things is the setting. I agree the 80s redue is done extreemly well.

The main story and plot aren't great, but most horror movies and shows didn't have great plots in the 80s and 90s.  They were more about shock value through either extreme violence, slow buildup of tension, or having some girl randomly show off her body parts.  They also were just to be goofy in general.  Stranger Things kind of reminds me of Creep Show, but less extreme.
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    wat?

The main story and plot aren't great, but most horror movies and shows didn't have great plots in the 80s and 90s.  They were more about shock value through either extreme violence, slow buildup of tension, or having some girl randomly show off her body parts.  They also were just to be goofy in general.  Stranger Things kind of reminds me of Creep Show, but less extreme.
    its like comfort food vs fine dinning.

I like comfort food (MST3K for me), I just dont get hyper hype excited about comfort food. I do about fine dinning. So shows like Man in the High Castle I am refreshing Amazon every day to see when next season comes out, but ST I am more like..yeah ok whatever whenever.

edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    wat?

I like comfort food (MST3K for me), I just dont get hyper hype excited about comfort food. I do about fine dinning. So shows like Man in the High Castle I am refreshing Amazon every day to see when next season comes out, but ST I am more like..yeah ok whatever whenever.
    I must have needed a lot of comfort in my youth because I watched a lot of movies and TV Shows like this lol.

As much as it's nice to be healthy it was often more fun to do stupid things in my youth or watch other people do stupid things.  T

That is one thing I miss as an adult.  Life is a lot duller when you are trying to do the right thing at least for me.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Flyte27 said:ct
    SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    wat?

I must have needed a lot of comfort in my youth because I watched a lot of movies and TV Shows like this lol.

As much as it's nice to be healthy it was often more fun to do stupid things in my youth or watch other people do stupid things.  T

That is one thing I miss as an adult.  Life is a lot duller when you are trying to do the right thing at least for me.
    The good news is when you get as old as I am you can get away with doing stupid things again. 

(Yes, I know, explains a lot)

B)
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Flyte27 said:ct
    SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    wat?

The good news is when you get as old as I am you can get away with doing stupid things again. 

(Yes, I know, explains a lot)

B)
    Haha,

I don't know what ethnicity you are, but I'd be careful.  I see a lot of old and feeble white guys going down in the news for doing stupid things. 

That's why watching other people do stupid things is more fun.  You don't get in trouble.  Even better if it's not real then no one gets hurt.

Still, it was fun to roam around the neighborhood going through peoples yards and letting my imagination run wild.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  You can have some extreme emotional highs and lows for the dumbest of things.  My friends and I rode around on bikes like the kids in Stranger things, but we had cooler looking BMX bikes.  The ones the kids have in Stranger things movie would have gotten you made fun of.
    Kyleran
    Flyte27 said:

Haha,

I don't know what ethnicity you are, but I'd be careful.  I see a lot of old and feeble white guys going down in the news for doing stupid things. 

That's why watching other people do stupid things is more fun.  You don't get in trouble.  Even better if it's not real then no one gets hurt.

Still, it was fun to roam around the neighborhood going through peoples yards and letting my imagination run wild.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  You can have some extreme emotional highs and lows for the dumbest of things.  My friends and I rode around on bikes like the kids in Stranger things, but we had cooler looking BMX bikes.  The ones the kids have in Stranger things movie would have gotten you made fun of.
    your love for the show (as well as most people) is not because of the plot or story but rather because of nostalgia for what feels now like a better time.

I get that, its mood setting, for me that time is MST3K. I love to watch that when I have nostalgia and want to sit warm by the fire.

SEANMCAD said:
    Flyte27 said:

Haha,

your love for the show (as well as most people) is not because of the plot or story but rather because of nostalgia for what feels now like a better time.

I get that, its mood setting, for me that time is MST3K. I love to watch that when I have nostalgia and want to sit warm by the fire.
    That is part of it.  I don't know if I would call it better.  There were lots of negatives and lots of positives.  These types of movies were positive as escapism for me.  Going out on bikes with friends and feeling free was fun as well.  There was more bullying by far though and I didn't have access to the internet to look up whether or not something was correct or not.  

I could draw a comparison with a game like Everquest.  I enjoyed my time there a lot, but it had a lot of extremely positive and negative moments.  It was almost like torture at times grinding away, but others it was elation when getting to certain points and getting certain things. 

You are correct though.  It has something to do with nostalgia and feeling comfortable with myself in terms of fitting in with the cultural climate of the time.  I don't really relate to people in the modern age.
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

B)
    wat?

I don't watch it myself, tried a couple of episodes and got bored.
    I was just pointing out that the fact your relatives don't like (or like) something rarely makes it a generality.

I personally prefer series like Game of Thrones, Frontier, The Last Kingdom, Outlander, Westworld, Star Trek Discovery, etc...
    consider statistics for a moment

what are the chances of lets say about 10 people indpenedently seeing the same thing and having the same conclusion? 

does stastics suggest in that case that those are the only 10 people in the world that feel that way? or that maybe they represent not the majority but a larger amount of people then just 1.

I was not trying to illustrate that I think most people dont like the show, that is fucking absurd given the fact I was stating its overrated (over rated means many people like it).

I was illustrating that I was not a subset of 1.

got it? really this hard to grasp? please work with me here on this

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like where games are going.  Mobile MMO's are slowly getting better.  I'd like to see more games with app and A.I. integration for voice commands like Voice Attack for use with Alexa or other home based AI.  I'd like to see more VR and AR integration in MMO's.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey