Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EA going downhill since Battlefront 2???

13»

Comments

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Well Anthem looks very interesting to me...Actually more interesting than Destiny...Ive played both Destiny 1 and 2 but I just think the Gameplay for Anthem looks a lot better...But since the lootbox fiasco I don't know if I should trust them enough to look into buying Anthem.....
    Sorry but no, they both look like glorified shooters. 

I get the appeal of shooters, but fuck me I played those more than 10 years ago. I want new ideas

glorified shooters sound fun. Shoot stuff in glorious graphics, in hand-designed environments, with RPG elements and fun powers.

Should worth at least a couple of hours of fun. 

New ideas are way over-rated. It is about implementation and polish. Otherwise, Diablo 3 would not have sold 30M copies. 

Plus, with all the talk here about going back to "traditional MMO" design, i thought this place hate new ideas. Otherwise, we should be all playing MOBAs and CCGs, right? Those are much newer than the traditional MMORPG concept.
    Battlefront looks to me EXACTLY like Battlefield 1942 with different skins.

I dont understand how people are not noticing this, EA games are pure copies of the same shooter formula that has been mostly unchanged for friggin 10 years. 

a AAA company throws in Mehcs into the same formula (Titanfall) and they act like they just invited the first hard drive.

Where we should be going is not backwards, not to shooters with Mechs and not copying DOTA thinking its the only other option, but with crafting, building, different genres other than just fantasty there is a HUGE amount of possiblities here and to be frank AAAs are ignoring it, indies are not.
    I watched a video of 7d2d once, it looked like minecraft with different skins. 

Maybe the reason most shooters look similar to older ones, with better art and graphics IMO, is because people actually enjoy those types of games. You don't honestly think people sit around playing games they hate because Gamespot tells them too, do you? 

Most of the Indie games you rave about are exactly like one another as well. Gather, craft, build then pvp, same formula in most of the indie games of the last 5 years. All just reskins of eachother
    then dont complain about EA games

to recap

Most here: 'this is the worst era in gaming, these games are terrible'
    Me: 'this is the best era in gaming ever'

if battlefront is what you like, then stop bitching about it. Because I dont give a fuck what you think of the games I like but if you are complaining endlessly about the games you claim to enjoy while I never complain about the games I enjoy then for the love of fuck at least try to get a clue

LMAO, try finding me complaining about EA games. I enjoy them quite a bit actually. 

I actually agree that this is the best era in gaming. I can get in a few rounds in BF2 before work, then when I get home I tend to play Ark or Rust for a few hours. I love the options I currently have.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Well Anthem looks very interesting to me...Actually more interesting than Destiny...Ive played both Destiny 1 and 2 but I just think the Gameplay for Anthem looks a lot better...But since the lootbox fiasco I don't know if I should trust them enough to look into buying Anthem.....

I get the appeal of shooters, but fuck me I played those more than 10 years ago. I want new ideas

glorified shooters sound fun. Shoot stuff in glorious graphics, in hand-designed environments, with RPG elements and fun powers.

New ideas are way over-rated. It is about implementation and polish. Otherwise, Diablo 3 would not have sold 30M copies. 

Plus, with all the talk here about going back to "traditional MMO" design, i thought this place hate new ideas. Otherwise, we should be all playing MOBAs and CCGs, right? Those are much newer than the traditional MMORPG concept.

I dont understand how people are not noticing this, EA games are pure copies of the same shooter formula that has been mostly unchanged for friggin 10 years. 

a AAA company throws in Mehcs into the same formula (Titanfall) and they act like they just invited the first hard drive.

Where we should be going is not backwards, not to shooters with Mechs and not copying DOTA thinking its the only other option, but with crafting, building, different genres other than just fantasty there is a HUGE amount of possiblities here and to be frank AAAs are ignoring it, indies are not.

Maybe the reason most shooters look similar to older ones, with better art and graphics IMO, is because people actually enjoy those types of games. You don't honestly think people sit around playing games they hate because Gamespot tells them too, do you? 

Most of the Indie games you rave about are exactly like one another as well. Gather, craft, build then pvp, same formula in most of the indie games of the last 5 years. All just reskins of eachother

to recap

if battlefront is what you like, then stop bitching about it. Because I dont give a fuck what you think of the games I like but if you are complaining endlessly about the games you claim to enjoy while I never complain about the games I enjoy then for the love of fuck at least try to get a clue

LMAO, try finding me complaining about EA games. I enjoy them quite a bit actually. 

I actually agree that this is the best era in gaming. I can get in a few rounds in BF2 before work, then when I get home I tend to play Ark or Rust for a few hours. I love the options I currently have.
    then you are not part of a conversation group I care to discuss with...move along,

I am addressing people who are complaining about games like Battlefront. I understand you like EA and you like Battlefront, that is your business move on

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KillSwitch69KillSwitch69 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    cheyane said:
    EA is huge they can absorb this loss and pass it on to the consumers in one form or another. Ultimately we the consumer are the ones who pay the price.
    Thank goodness I haven't supported/bought an EA game in ages.
    alkarionlog
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

to recap

then you are not part of a conversation group I care to discuss with...move along,

I am addressing people who are complaining about games like Battlefront. I understand you like EA and you like Battlefront, that is your business move on
    I'll consider that your apology, have a good one  :)
    alkarionlog

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

to recap

I'll consider that your apology, have a good one  :)
    apology  to what exactly?

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I have no idea what battle front is or destiny.  I don't play that type of games.

I think people are just mad at EA because they hold several big IP.  I presume if you don't like EA''s battle front, they are similar games like it.  What people are mad about is they won't have good star wars game or FIFA game because EA have exclusive rights.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SEANMCAD said:

There are commercial fishermen who don't bait as many hooks daily.

;)

Phry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    ea is going downhill since battlefield 3
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    well they are still racking in lots of money.  I don't know if they are making money with the new start wars games.  But their sports games(loot box) are racking them in lots of money.
    that is about right.

I have it pegged at Sims 3

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    AAAMEOW said:
    well they are still racking in lots of money.  I don't know if they are making money with the new start wars games.  But their sports games(loot box) are racking them in lots of money.
    no one asked you anything
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    SEANMCAD said:

to recap

This is where your argument falls down. 

I don't think I've seen anyone say "this is the worst era in gaming". I doubt there are many people who even feel that way, let alone say it. 

If you want to sum up the general issues that people have with the current era:
    • The top end of the market has stagnated
    • The middle market has basically disappeared
    • The indie market is so full of shit, it's hard to find a good one

Its important to remember that you can still find good games at all levels of the market. I personally stick mostly to the top end and the few middle-market games I can find. I know you are personally a fan of the indie market and that's fine. 

If I went back in time 10 years, the issues I listed above didn't exist. The top end hadn't stagnated yet and was still happily experimenting, the middle-market still existed and the indie market was dramatically smaller due to higher skill level required, so indie games were typically much higher quality than today.

I think the only people who are saying "this is the worst era" are those referring specifically to the MMORPG genre, and I would agree with them. Luckily, there are other genres out there to play whilst we wait for MMORPGs to get good again. 
    edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:

to recap

I don't think I've seen anyone say "this is the worst era in gaming". .....
    really? you wrote an entire essay because I said 'worst era in gaming' instead of 'so are you happy about the direction its going' or 'is EA going downhill' or 'I don't envy the people who have to do year end lists and awards'.

really ok so maybe its not the 'worst' but I dont see very many positive threads about the state of gaming in this forum. 

maybe this works better for you

Most here: 'the state of gaming today is horrible'
    Me: 'the state of gaming today is the best ever'

is that better?

here is a small list of games I have been excited about. its NOT the complete list by a long shot.

Just games i have played that I like

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

Imperium Galactic Survival

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Another Brick in the Mall

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:

There are commercial fishermen who don't bait as many hooks daily.

;)

Because they don't have so many fish swimming around?
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

to recap

really? you wrote an entire essay because I said 'worst era in gaming' instead of 'so are you happy about the direction its going' or 'is EA going downhill' or 'I don't envy the people who have to do year end lists and awards'.

really ok so maybe its not the 'worst' but I dont see very many positive threads about the state of gaming in this forum. 

is that better?

This is a forum about MMORPGs

The state of MMORPGs is bad

Naturally, that's going to lead to a lot of negative threads about MMORPGs. 

Isn't that logical, even expected? 

You've also, as usual, failed to address the point of my post. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    AAAMEOW said:
    Since EA has effectively lost over 6 billion dollars in value over SW:BF2 loot box fiasco, further exacerbated by the UFC game and its P2W features, i seriously doubt investors are even remotely happy about the current state of EA, a direct corollary of their loot box practices and their effects on the players and games sales, making millions of dollars pales into insignificance if you lost several billion dollars in share value in the process don't you think? :/
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    EA once made a game where you could play PvP to your hearts content, nothing was sold to you other than dlc's, which mainly had maps. Battlefield was a hallmark for fair gaming and good dlc (mainly new maps and forces). Even if you did not get the dlc's any disadvantage a player could have was very minor. 

Only by understanding how fair a playing field gaming once had, can you realise how much of a travesty we have today.
    Phry
    edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

to recap

is that better?

no its actually not logical or even expected.

it is to people who are not familiar with the culture of gaming but you should know better. even more so when the hottest topic of the week here is complaining about a game that is...wait for it....NOT an MMO

Phry said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Since EA has effectively lost over 6 billion dollars in value over SW:BF2 loot box fiasco, further exacerbated by the UFC game and its P2W features, i seriously doubt investors are even remotely happy about the current state of EA, a direct corollary of their loot box practices and their effects on the players and games sales, making millions of dollars pales into insignificance if you lost several billion dollars in share value in the process don't you think? :/
    To my understanding, EA makes 800 million a year from FIFA loot box.  You might say making 800 a year is nothing because they lost 6 billion dollar in a few days...  But the only reason they worth that much in the first place is they make 800 million a year.  If you take that away, it's company isn't worth much money.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

to recap

is that better?

it is to people who are not familiar with the culture of gaming but you should know better. even more so when the hottest topic of the week here is complaining about a game that is...wait for it....NOT an MMO
    These monetization practices affect the whole industry. MMO's included.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

to recap

is that better?

These monetization practices affect the whole industry. MMO's included.
    yes but he was talking about me pointing out how people are complaining about the state of gaming and he wanted to turn it into 'yeah but only MMOs' which is horseshit. read the exchange if you desire more details :)