Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition rapidly growing for EA to lose Star Wars license passes 110k signers.

Comments

• holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    OG_Zorvan said:
    This is fringing on pathetic. Does anyone even know the terms of the deal EA signed? Do you understand that EA may have already paid upfront for the license, or are simply agreeing to pay Disney a set amount periodically over the course of the agreement? Meaning that Disney simply values their IP in this purpose at a set amount, which they're already getting, and however EA can turn around and use that investment to profit is entirely on them.

The buck stops there. And considering that is the type of arrangement EA has with the NFL for their exclusive rights (a deal we actually know some things about) then there's little reason to assume it's mechanically much different and that's probably an industry type of deal. Even if EA is entirely incompetent as a developer and can't manage to make a decent Star Wars game, Disney won't care (just like the NFL doesn't care), they've already valued the rights at a certain amount and EA were always going to be the highest bidder for those rights. It's called business buckos, and pleading because 'muh feelings' about perfectly legal and sound business decisions from both entities is overtly infantile.
    If you think Disney doesn't have an iron-clad clause for getting out of the contract any time they want, you're naive.
    rofl yeah I'm the naive one. That's too fucking rich. My post doesn't address that at all, for a very good reason, because it's irrelevant. They're not going to 'get out of the contract' because you want them to. Deal with it.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:
    Good luck with the petition and all that.

It won't do diddly squat.

You are 100% correct.  People are still buying the game in droves, and I'd love to know how many credit cards have been swiped so folks can "win." 
    The answer is none. The game still has no real-money transactions. They will presumably reenable them at some point, but until then, there is no pay-to-win in BF2. 
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    rofl yeah I'm the naive one. That's too fucking rich. My post doesn't address that at all, for a very good reason, because it's irrelevant. They're not going to 'get out of the contract' because you want them to. Deal with it.
    Maybe or maybe not. I do think if EA cause more problems like they did with BF2 where Disney had to tell them to "chill the fuck out", we could probably see them losing it.

I think if it causes enough commotion with customers to the point, press and other outlets start talking about it, bringing more bad press to the IP, I don't think it's unreasonable to think Disney might call it quits.

imho I think out right denying that anything could happen at this point is a little unreasonable, not saying it's a high chance at all, it could be 1%, but the fact they've been called out by Disney once, means it can happen again and I think if repeats, they could lose it or something else.
    edited December 2017
    Herase said:
    Maybe or maybe not. I do think if EA cause more problems like they did with BF2 where Disney had to tell them to "chill the fuck out", we could probably see them losing it.

I think if it causes enough commotion with customers to the point, press and other outlets start talking about it, bringing more bad press to the IP, I don't think it's unreasonable to think Disney might call it quits.

imho I think out right denying that anything could happen at this point is a little unreasonable, not saying it's a high chance at all, it could be 1%, but the fact they've been called out by Disney once, means it can happen again and I think if repeats, they could lose it or something else.

Disney didn't pay 4 billion dollars to own the most lucrative IP in the world so that a bunch of internet plebs can tell them what they need to do with it. And Disney certainly isn't going to completely alienate the only developer likely willing to pay them what these rights are actually worth because of "Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble." The only thing unreasonable here is even entertaining that you have any say in multi million dollar transactions of massive billion dollar media conglomerates. You don't in this case and you never will. There's also a non zero probability that you will suddenly disappear from your computer chair and suddenly appear on Mars, but the difference is you're not here pretending to know something about quantum mechanics so thankfully we can avoid that equally ridiculous conversation.  

But thanks for the laugh anyways fellas.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:

You are 100% correct.  People are still buying the game in droves, and I'd love to know how many credit cards have been swiped so folks can "win."  One can only assume that regardless of the backlash, EA and Disney are laughing all the way to the bank.
    There's actually been no press release on sales other than a UK article noting physical sales were down 60% compared to Battlefront 1.

It failed to top the sales charts in its first week on the UK as well.

So there's actually evidence to suggest that sales were substantially affected.  Also, as far as I know, the loot box MTX system is still currently removed.  So I don't think many have swiped their way to victory yet.

And since, more recently, the chief financial officer for EA has went from "when" they bring back MTX to "whether" they will, the backlash has likely caused more significant waves than a lot of other cynics are giving it credit for.

However, I do agree this petition will not get Disney to rescind any kind of licensing contract, supposing they even could in this instance.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:

You are 100% correct.  People are still buying the game in droves, and I'd love to know how many credit cards have been swiped so folks can "win."  One can only assume that regardless of the backlash, EA and Disney are laughing all the way to the bank.

I was actually surprised it got 100k signatures. If SWG got that many it might still be around. That being said, just as with most protests, this appears to have burned quickly. It was "rapidly" gaining signatures at 110k, and you could see it going up by the second. Now it appears to be a trickle. What can I say, it appears that... squirrel! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:

Kinda hard to swipe any credit cards when they removed the ability to by crates with RL money at launch. Not that there was anything in them that was P2W in the first place. If you're not very good at fps games there isnt a single card in those crates thats going to help you win.
    Iselin

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Herase said:

Disney didn't pay 4 billion dollars to own the most lucrative IP in the world so that a bunch of internet plebs can tell them what they need to do with it. And Disney certainly isn't going to completely alienate the only developer likely willing to pay them what these rights are actually worth because of "Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble." The only thing unreasonable here is even entertaining that you have any say in multi million dollar transactions of massive billion dollar media conglomerates. You don't in this case and you never will. There's also a non zero probability that you will suddenly disappear from your computer chair and suddenly appear on Mars, but the difference is you're not here pretending to know something about quantum mechanics so thankfully we can avoid that equally ridiculous conversation.  

Damn, just sharing my thoughts, never claimed anything. Didn't have to be a dick about it, fucking hell lol
    [Deleted User]holdenfivecameltosis
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    has movie IP video game ever worked? or vice versa.

its almost always a non-starter shit show

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    It would be interesting to see Valve get the Star Wars license. Imagine a Star Wars game with the quality of the Half-Life or Portal games released on Steam, I think it would sell a few copies. 

Unfortunately big IP's seem to primarily be used for selling mediocre games that you can make with low effort/cost, which is what EA does with the Star Wars IP imo. If you don't have a famous IP you actually have to make good games to sell a lot. It would be interesting to see how well a really good Star Wars game could sell though, the only ones I've found good were Biowares Knights of the Old Republic games.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:

Kinda hard to swipe any credit cards when they removed the ability to by crates with RL money at launch. Not that there was anything in them that was P2W in the first place. If you're not very good at fps games there isnt a single card in those crates thats going to help you win.
    Yeah nice logic dude. How about two people of equal ability one swiping and one not?

Yup, no P2W happening there whatsoever.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Foncl said:
    It would be interesting to see Valve get the Star Wars license. Imagine a Star Wars game with the quality of the Half-Life or Portal games released on Steam, I think it would sell a few copies. 

Unfortunately big IP's seem to primarily be used for selling mediocre games that you can make with low effort/cost, which is what EA does with the Star Wars IP imo. If you don't have a famous IP you actually have to make good games to sell a lot. It would be interesting to see how well a really good Star Wars game could sell though, the only ones I've found good were Biowares Knights of the Old Republic games.
    Well if we're going to talk about wishes, assuming one likes SW themed games in the first place, non-exclusive multiple licenses to a whole bunch of developers would be the clear best from the player's perspective wouldn't it?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Foncl said:

I agree, but I don't believe Valve has made a game in a very long time.  I actually enjoyed Left for Dead more than Half Life for some reason.  I could never get into that game.  People are still waiting for a sequel, but I doubt they will make any games if they can make a profit off other peoples work.  

I bet CD Red Project would make a good Witcher game.  They are the only ones in recent times that has made a game I enjoy short of console games like Uncharted 4.  If they made a Star Wars game I would have high hopes.  Then again if the main character is like Ciri I doubt I would enjoy the game.  I didn't enjoy the vision they had for her.  I much preferred Syanna from the expansion Blood and Wine.  Hopefully they would let you choose what main character you would like to play like in the KOTOR and Mass Effect games.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    i'm more curious about what will happen after, yeah i'm wondering what PR move they will pull, I signed worst it can happen is change nothing, in other hand it can make then stay on they toes a little, its like they crusade againsts piracy saying they lose money becasue people not bough it because they took the pirated copy, sometimes they worry more about possible gains then real gains
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Iselin said:
    Foncl said:

Well if we're going to talk about wishes, assuming one likes SW themed games in the first place, non-exclusive multiple licenses to a whole bunch of developers would be the clear best from the player's perspective wouldn't it?

yes and I could see it would be good for SW as well as far becoming even more of pop culture.

I personally think games are better not spending the millions of dollars on an fictional IP and instead just pouring that money into development of game play of ones own creation. 

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Torval said:

People need to consider things from the perspective of Disney. If they ditch EA who are they going to trust with their IP? Who has the resources and money and experience to pull off a mass market global release better than EA? Acti-Blizz? That's about it. So if they ditch EA, then Activision/Blizzard has the bargaining advantage.
    Do away with an exclusive license altogether and open up the license to everyone. Judge each proposal on a case-by-case basis and accept/reject individually. 

So, for example, I'd love to see Creative Assembly do a Total War version of Star Wars. 
    I'd love to see Bethesda do an Elder Scrolls / Fallout style Star Wars game.
    I'd like to see either RockStar or Ubisoft do an open-world action/adventure game. 
    I'd like to see *someone* do a new pod racer game (codemasters?)
    I'd like to see whoever built Gears of War do a Star Wars shooter. 

An exclusive license locks you into a single developer / publisher which dramatically reduces your options for types of games. I mean, can you imagine EA ever releasing a good SW RPG?

Also, you are forgetting Disney themselves. They have the knowledge and experience to pull off a global mass market release, they just don't know how to develop the games themselves. Nothing to stop them funding a studio to do the development, then publishing under Disney. 
    Torval said:
    Herase said:
    Herase said:

Damn, just sharing my thoughts, never claimed anything. Didn't have to be a dick about it, fucking hell lol
    Wow, that dude is an angry person.

I'm not angry, I just don't like when people get into busybody activist mode about (insert cause) when there is a serious lack on their part of the required fundamentals and wisdom to make a meaningful change. Even assuming that this is something that gamers could actually impact (it isn't) it sets a bad precedent I don't think people are even aware of. If you can't arm yourself with practical knowledge and information, even assuming you could present solutions to what you consider a problem, they wouldn't be the right solutions anyways and it would be no better than what we already have.

So I treat toy dog yapping with contempt. Nobody has a problem with that, except the toy dog.
    Iselin said:
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:

Yeah nice logic dude. How about two people of equal ability one swiping and one not?

Even if there were 2 completely equal ability players they would have to play the exact same number of matches with the exact same class and build their decks the exact same way to stay equal too eachother. That just isnt reality.  Having played the game everyday since launch and only buying crates with in game credits I truely dont see anything in those crates thats P2W, theres nothing in them that you cant earn in game.  

Now I understand that people hate EA because... reasons and that gamble boxes are a very controversial thing in gaming these days but people calling the game P2W are being very disingenuous.  I'll continue to play and enjoy the game, I'm sorry that some people can't do the same.
    [Deleted User]

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Show me where the bad man touched you and made you so angry...

[Deleted User]
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Iselin said:
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:

Even if there were 2 completely equal ability players they would have to play the exact same number of matches with the exact same class and build their decks the exact same way to stay equal too eachother. That just isnt reality.  Having played the game everyday since launch and only buying crates with in game credits I truely dont see anything in those crates thats P2W, theres nothing in them that you cant earn in game.  

Now I understand that people hate EA because... reasons and that gamble boxes are a very controversial thing in gaming these days but people calling the game P2W are being very disingenuous.  I'll continue to play and enjoy the game, I'm sorry that some people can't do the same.
    Well you must be blind to the most legitimate complaint players had (that the vast majority of reviewers also pointed out): during that early access time frame before they froze buying lootboxes, buying them got you a greater choice of cards and better heroes MUCH FASTER than earning them in game. Would things eventually even out a few weeks or months down the line? Sure, but that was never the point.

In a competitive PVP game, it doesn't get much more P2W than that unless buying them were the only way to get them.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Talonsin said:

you got that EXACTLY opposite.

crying over SW IP because of lootboxes....eye roll

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Signed, glad to see this going.  This is so much more than microtransactions and loot box crap.  This is much needed.  Battlefront 1 didn't have the controversy but still people wanted to see EA lose the licence because the game just sucked and had no substance.  If Disney hopes to drive the Star Wars IP forward and revitalize it for the next generation, they need QUALITY video games.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    edited December 2017
    Iselin said:
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:

I have no idea what's going on.  But "there's nothing in them that you can't earn in game" is a pretty bad argument to pay to win.  Almost all the korean or chinese games let you earn everything in games but the grind is so horrible people rather spend money.  

What I know is there are many lootbox games which don't have backlash, most because it only offer cosmetic.  So I presume there's something wrong with battle front which upset the players.   

edited December 2017
    Talonsin said:

Show me on the internet wayback machine when this was still considered a quip. I suggest start at 1996 and move backwards.

https://archive.org/web/

PS. gotten to

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    beebop500 said:
    DMKano said:

Well you must be blind to the most legitimate complaint players had (that the vast majority of reviewers also pointed out): during that early access time frame before they froze buying lootboxes, buying them got you a greater choice of cards and better heroes MUCH FASTER than earning them in game. Would things eventually even out a few weeks or months down the line? Sure, but that was never the point.

In a competitive PVP game, it doesn't get much more P2W than that unless buying them were the only way to get them.
    We just disagree on the P2W aspect, and that's ok. Hopefully you get a SW game you'll enjoy as well at some point.