Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pet PEEVE...NPC Traders-Traitors! (Merchants/non-merchants)

starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114
How many of you are like me and are actually excited to run into a merchant along the way to sell your unwanted chit? :)
Well especially if I see a specialty merchant or a "wandering merchant" I think he or she has something no other vendor has that 
I may be a lucky one for the day to catch them on the road or something...but NOOOOOO....you can't even click on them, inaccessible,
nadda...well what's the friggen point? Get us all excited for nothing, we have junk to sell, and the dude or lady doesn't want our chit, and has no chit to sell, PLEASE stop putting merchant or vendor or trader over their heads then, it's annoying to me!!!! You may say it's put there for future use, b.s., put a dancing bunny in it's place then just NOT a trader! That's all. Good day. 
NPC Traders/Traitors!
  1. What do YOU feel about those NPC traders in MMOs that do absolutely NOTHING?8 votes
    1. Doesn't bother me one bit. I will search for hours for a real one, I have time.
        0.00%
    2. Turn them all into dancing bunnies!
        0.00%
    3. Turn them into real traders with full functionality for god's sake!
      50.00%
    4. Turn them all into Chuck Norris Killer Robots!
        0.00%
    5. It's a conspiracy, they are decoys to make us all go crazy looking for the real ones.
      25.00%
    6. I don't care, I just like clicking buttons.
      25.00%
bcbully

Comments

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    I can't recall ever seeing NPCs identified as traders that neither buy nor sell things, but I can see that being incredibly annoying. What game was this in?
  • starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I've seen them in many games, lately ALLODS online, and ESO just the last few days to name just a few.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I recall being very excited for Age of Conan. I entered the first town and all of the NPCs were set to walk around on very predictable loops with no interaction at all. It was cool for half an hour, but then the illusion quickly fell apart.
    starstorm777
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    If they just put a "Useless vendor" symbol on top of them instead of the universal vendor one it wouldn't be a problem. 

Personally would I rather not have symbols over the head at all, it should be easy to see who is a vendor in the game (signs or wares spread out on a stall or blanket should be a dead giveaway). If all you see in the window of a shop is vegetables it is probably not the vendor to go to for a sword.

Symbols were important in games like Meridian 59 where tho old graphics made details like that hard to see but in a modern MMO you can show us instead of telling us.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I've seen them in many games, lately ALLODS online, and ESO just the last few days to name just a few.
    it's been awhile since I played eso, but I remember them being pretty good with wandering traders and not just uninteractable npcs.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Things have come to a fine pass when players are having a go at traders. Seems it is down to the game, which should not allow traders who are not set up or inactive ones to use such symbols.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Merchants in EQ were the best imo, they actually sold players goods back to other players. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    How many of you are like me and are actually excited to run into a merchant along the way to sell your unwanted chit? :)

What .. you have to "run" back to sell your stuff? I thought teleports (or a pet who can sell for you like in TL2) were "invented" a long time ago.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

What .. you have to "run" back to sell your stuff? I thought teleports (or a pet who can sell for you like in TL2) were "invented" a long time ago.
    Yeah, "games" have that feature,  Fallout 4 has both traveling vendors you have to track down and fast travel around to known vendors

But virtual worlds sometimes don't, but then you know this yet continue to keep baiting the same hook.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

But virtual worlds sometimes don't, but then you know this yet continue to keep baiting the same hook.

What virtual worlds? Are they still making virtual world MMOs without a fast travel option?

And if this is bait .. are you the fish? Seems like you are "hooked"?
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Kyleran said:

What virtual worlds? Are they still making virtual world MMOs without a fast travel option?

Well actually they are, several in progress atm, though I might be retired by time any of them launch.

Bonus though, should have plenty of time to "mozy" (mosie?) my way around

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nightraidernightraider Member UncommonPosts: 33

If the "useless vendor" in question has a name, a personality and a well thought out backstory that gives insight to why they won't even talk to player characters then it's perfectly fine with me. 

I'd be extremely impressed if when you tried to talk with said NPC it opened up new dialogue options with other NPCs in the game which lead to a side quest that eventually unlocks that "useless vendor" and turns them into a very useful vendor of rare items you can't get any other way.

But a generic broken NPC that serves no function? That's just sloppy game development imo.

Will we ever get back to the days when most players cared who the NPCs were and why they were trading with us?

Probably not. 

I care but I know I'm in the minority these days.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If the "useless vendor" in question has a name, a personality and a well thought out backstory that gives insight to why they won't even talk to player characters then it's perfectly fine with me. 

I'd be extremely impressed if when you tried to talk with said NPC it opened up new dialogue options with other NPCs in the game which lead to a side quest that eventually unlocks that "useless vendor" and turns them into a very useful vendor of rare items you can't get any other way.

But a generic broken NPC that serves no function? That's just sloppy game development imo.

Will we ever get back to the days when most players cared who the NPCs were and why they were trading with us?

Probably not. 

I care but I know I'm in the minority these days.

That is true, having someone like "cut-me-own-throat Dibbler" buggering you with useless stuff and bad food can actually be rather fun and set a good athmosphere for the game. 

Having someone that looks like a trader, say nothing and just sell bell peppers for no apperant reason is another matter. That just sucks.

I did like the apple seller in GW2 that suddenly started to sing a little song about apples, that is good enough... They at least put some effort into it and made the world feel slightly more alive.
    nightraider
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Well actually they are, several in progress atm, though I might be retired by time any of them launch.

Bonus though, should have plenty of time to "mozy" (mosie?) my way around

B)

Really? Any of them AAA that i need pay attention to? Any of them f2p? Any of them will be fun for at least 15 min?