Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Reveals It Didn't Know Cheater Was Underage, Settles with Another - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited December 2017
    guys!

cheating in a video game is NOT criminal despite how much you want it to be.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    SEANMCAD said:
    guys!

Depends on the country.

Ofc not on US/EU, but if you can claim damages you can accuse criminal behavior and sue.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Eh. Legally they may have done something wrong. Morally... kids a snot. Deserves to be named and shamed. Too bad the laws protect people like this from justice.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Can someone ask for a nuclear option already?  'Cause that would really make this thread much more interesting.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    DMKano said:
    Talonsin said:

DMKano said:

Lol - "we didn't violate the rule because we didn't know"

Really?

/facepalm

Just imagine every case involving a minor - "well I didn't know she was underage, so I didn't break any laws" /facepalm

This isnt like Roy Moore trying to bang a minor. How would Epic reasonably know the persons age?

Before filing a lawsuit -  a company is required to do due diligence which includes making sure the person is not a minor.

Epic fail(ed) at this
    I don't believe this is true, link please.
    Thomas2006

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430

Mendel said:

Can someone ask for a nuclear option already?  'Cause that would really make this thread much more interesting.

I say let the punishment fit the crime:

Death by automated turret firing squad.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    edited December 2017
    This lawsuit has several interesting aspects:

1. The game developer is suing a YouTube influencer under DCMA.
    2. The developer didnt know that the person was a minor (because Google didnt tell them).
    3. The influencer gave an endorsement for a paid cheat for the developers game.

# 1 is uncommon, but not new.
    # 2 has caused a distraction, but is basically a nothing issue.
    # 3 is interesting, because it looks to hold them responsible for their actions (which is something new). They could also take this to the FTC as a complaint because of its commercial actions.

It is highly likely that they will win this suit, and the video will not be restored. It will be interesting to see what happens after that, if the influencer just makes a new video, and/or if the developer seeks further recourse.

[Deleted User]
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    guys!

Depends on the country.

Ofc not on US/EU, but if you can claim damages you can accuse criminal behavior and sue.
    right violating contracts are not criminal. you might be legally bound to fully the terms but the contract does not fall under criminal law. its civil

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    guys!

Depends on the country.

right violating contracts are not criminal. you might be legally bound to fully the terms but the contract does not fall under criminal law. its civil
    You have said this three times and no one has cared to respond to you.  Guess I am the only sucker who still thinks you are worth responding to, LOL.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited December 2017
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    guys!

Depends on the country.

You have said this three times and no one has cared to respond to you.  Guess I am the only sucker who still thinks you are worth responding to, LOL.
    yeah that might be true but also off point and trivial or maybe you can explain in detail why you felt it important to share the bit of information to me?

The point although seemingly minor (civil vs criminal) is because of tone. peoples tone here is implying its criminal and worth locking someone up for, no...it just a civil thing calm down.

because your point about basic laws of economics is a clever observation but its not related to my core question now is it?