Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five New MMOs We Want to Know More About - General Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFive New MMOs We Want to Know More About - General Columns

This list was originall published way back in 2010. Guess what? Of the five games listed, only one ever made to launch, and it's already shut down. Take a trip down memory lane with us, as we look back at those games, and forward at 5 new MMOs on the horizon.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Project tl (lineage3) looks amazing,although,im not really sure what am i looking at.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    Ascent: Infinite Realm is at the top of my list too! Looking forward to learning more about this one.
    Vesric
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    So, we have 3 eastern MMOs on the list, and two western developers who might be developing an MMO, but we don't know.

Not exactly exciting times :-(
    AlomarJamesGoblinJunglecharlyScotlaseritCecropiaSamhaelKyleranEponyxDamorBellomoand 7 others.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Do we know the title of the new Bluehole Studio mmo?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

So, we have 3 eastern MMOs on the list, and two western developers who might be developing an MMO, but we don't know.

I think it's pretty indicative of the current market in North America. The North American markets currently want games like Destiny. They don't want grind fests. Or at least there's no evidence to support that idea.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Diablo Online

Years and YEARS ago I wrote Blizzard and expressed interest in a "Diablo Online".

This was way before Diablo 3 existed with its new art style. The Diablo Online I was interested in was more gritty like the first two games.

oh, well, might still be interesting if it is true and comes to fruition.
    CrazKanukXophApridise
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Based off what I have seen I think the game will be garbage just as bad as revelation online totally Pay 2 Enjoy many aspects of it I would rather pay for **Black Desert Online** and pay $15 a month for unlimited customization of my character, dyes, etc, and pay $27 USD a costume than play a game like Revelation online where I have to buy Value packs for $50 per pack or higher get bound costumes that apply to only one character, and even games like Vindictus where I have to spend about $55 USD To fully customize a character, $10 USD every time I want to change any little detail about the character No thanks, I don't mind paying, or whale games like BDO, but I do mind when a game completely tries to milk its customers.
    Vesric
    Sovrath said:
    Diablo Online

Years and YEARS ago I wrote Blizzard and expressed interest in a "Diablo Online".

This was way before Diablo 3 existed with its new art style. The Diablo Online I was interested in was more gritty like the first two games.

I would pay a sub for this.....as long as it didn't suck.... and they put in a RMAH ;)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

CrazKanuk said:

I think it's pretty indicative of the current market in North America. The North American markets currently want games like Destiny. They don't want grind fests. Or at least there's no evidence to support that idea.

Wait, "want games like Destiny" followed by "don't want grind fests"? Make up your mind! Destiny IS a grind-fest and they recently tried to make it more so by short-changing players who are earning XP at max level.
    AlomarThupli
  • sycogenesissycogenesis Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Wasn';t Dark Millenium shut down while ago?
  • ArthurKCArthurKC Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited December 2017
    The lineage one may be the mobile one we already have
    Alverant said:

CrazKanuk said:

Wait, "want games like Destiny" followed by "don't want grind fests"? Make up your mind! Destiny IS a grind-fest and they recently tried to make it more so by short-changing players who are earning XP at max level.

THEY want you to play forever. Players just want to have fun doing it. And, yes, that was a shitty bit of coding. Someone probably did it by mistake :P
    Thupli

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    New World... =/
    AlomarLaviota
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Diablo Online? I think the time for that one has passed because Path of Exile has filled that nich quite nicely.

I had almost forgotten everything about Jumpgate Evolution. When I saw the title mentioned here, for a second here I had a feeling of concern for the future of Star Citizen and that maybe Derek Smart could be right. :D
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Dual Universe

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Let me know when they are released.
    BillMurphyAlomarKyleranYashaX
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    listing the top 5 from 2010, doesn't leave much hope for us
    OzmodanStjerneoddYashaX
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Tobold!! My old guildie :)

As for the rest of the article, meh..

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    2010 list does not make me hopeful for the current list.
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited December 2017
    Lineage 3 is the only one that would really interest me in that list, having played and enjoyed Lineage 2 so much - before F2P/GoD anyway. But, knowing what L2 has become, and the direction developers/publishers have taken the MMO genre, I have absolutely zero hope for L3 being anything more than a blatant, cynical - but very probably pretty - cash grab.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    5 Diablo,don't like the game design,don't like the way Blizzard represents gaming in general or how they design their games.That doesn't mean i 100% write them off,i will take a look ,i am just very skeptical Blizzard can deliver a good game that is not tied into esport..$$$$$...selfish ladders and ranking etc etc.
    In other words,Blizzard seems to forget that a good quality game developer can make co-op games just as well as making everything a you versus me.

4Project TL, The fact it is NCSOFT pretty much just like Blizzard,means the game has little chance with me,but again ,i will look at it when time comes.The thing is ,no matter what game or what year,philosophies don't change inside a business,so i would expect the same old no matter what.

3 Yet again,a developer i do not have any faith in,they build cheap corner cutting games.

2 Bless..."sweeping changes" haha yeah right,a KR game will likely still look like a KR game,spam combat,not much meaning to the actual world,yellow markers over npc heads,same old ,not interested.

1 Infinite Realm :New game from an unknown developer,i see some gimmicks but not done wel enough but it is too early,maybe trhe game will fill out and look professionally done or wil end up as is,a cheap gimmick with some spam combat.
    The term cheap gimmicks,relates to stuff i see Asian games often trying to sell,,,MOUNTS,FLYING,super spammy combat with big numbers,i expect same old.

So nothing on this list of 5 interests me,when i see a developer with a head on it's shoulder's,with ideas that cry out "hey i put some thought into this design and ideas" i will step up and take notice.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Something i forgot to mention,i see most of these as being developers that are moving more into cash shop gaming,something i am 100% against.If there is no early access packages and no cash shop and no hand holding,i might take notice of one of these games,LUCKY to see 1 of these not fall into category ..."forget about it".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Yanocchi said:

Diablo Online? I think the time for that one has passed because Path of Exile has filled that nich quite nicely.

I had almost forgotten everything about Jumpgate Evolution. When I saw the title mentioned here, for a second here I had a feeling of concern for the future of Star Citizen and that maybe Derek Smart could be right. :D

It has? Because I've played both and I liked Diablo but didn't like Path of exile.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Wizardry said:

Something i forgot to mention,i see most of these as being developers that are moving more into cash shop gaming,something i am 100% against.If there is no early access packages and no cash shop and no hand holding,i might take notice of one of these games,LUCKY to see 1 of these not fall into category ..."forget about it".

It seems most games coming out have cash shops. This is it, this is the new reality. If you think there are going to be a LOT of games coming out that don't offer some sort of cash shop then you are mistaken.

It's not a question of whether there will be a cash shop, it's a question of whether it's horrible or not.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

Sovrath said:

Diablo Online

makes you feel any better the original blizzard north design of D3 was intended to be MMOish