Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't envy the people who have to do year end lists and awards...

Comments

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Ignore Seanmcad. All he does is take a contrary position and then argues with you and before you know it you aren't even talking about what you started with because the goal posts constantly shift.
    cameltosis
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    lmao ... *wonders how many units of Witcher 3 Steam and GOG could sell in 24 hours for same 7.99 that those indie titles sold for ... *

and for the record i have played and owned 7DTD since its first day in Steam ... We look at options .. you are misguided tho
    again..
    3 titles that are:
    1. indie small budget
    2. early access (as in not even completed)
    3. extreemly low marketing budget that pales in comparision to Witcher 3

vs

1. one of the most popular titles in the so called AAA universe by a rather large margin.
    2. sold on multiple platforms
    3. HUGE marketing budget, which includes reviews on pretty much every single game journalist site ever.

Sales of those three indie titles should not have even come remotely CLOSE to Witcher 3.

but regardless of all that manure, who cares? you going to play anything other than games to complain about? of course not. Just sit there looking at the only 10 acceptable games in ones universe, complain about the state of gaming and ignore people who say there are fantastic options....brilliant!
    lol ... so misguided ...................

1. If they sold so many its not such a limited budget ( and W3 was funded by KS) also
       2. EA means nothing in this anylonger we all know EA titles can sell well there are dozens of examples ..
       3.. you talk as if you know what W3 marketing Budget was .. You have no idea .. And i dont think its near what you are exaggerating

but you just keep assaulting every thread with your agenda , it will catch up to you ..
    1. limited by the terms of what a Witcher 3 budget would be...ABOLSULTLY~!!!!!!!!!!! you know its likely that the entire development budget of 7DTD is likely smaller than JUST the advertising budget of Witcher 3.
    2. conversation is getting off point already
    3. I know the averages

HERE IS THE POINT____________________________________
    people are complaining about the 'state' of gaming. I am literally likely the ONLY person in this entire forum that thinks its actually the BEST era of gaming ever. And yet, people like yourself go to extreeme lengths to avoid even considering, even looking at, even browsing the very games I feel has made the industry great.

and instead, you want to just look at the games your complaining about and expect them to magically change.

THAT is the point

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited December 2017

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     You are not the only person .. there are many that think this is a great time in gaming .. In your own head you are the only one .. But your soapbox is very tall i imagine ...

BTW 7DTD is on mutli platforms also .. time to move the goalposts some more
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
     You are not the only person .. there are many that think this is a great time in gaming .. In your own head you are the only one .. But your soapbox is very tall i imagine ...

I have read one other person say its the best era in gaming. I have read more that have said its a good era..I am not saying its good...I am saying its the BEST EVER.

7DTD kickster totalled $500,000
    Witcher 3 had $81 million dollars 

but yeah...you win the entire point because 7DTD is on console

SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:

I have read one other person say its the best era in gaming. I have read more that have said its a good era..I am not saying its good...I am saying its the BEST EVER.

funny .. im not trying to win anything here .. just trying to talk you in from a ledge ..

edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:

funny .. im not trying to win anything here .. just trying to talk you in from a ledge ..

why? because I think a company that had $500,000 sold nearly 1/3 as many copies as a company that had 81 million dollars? That is a 162 times difference. They should be outselling these indies by a HUGE margin, not just enough to make the difference in sales price

you dont find that remotely note worthy?

I am sorry but UNFINISHED games, of INDIE, LOW BUDGET, NEARLY NO ADVERTSING it IS note worthy

SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:

why? because I think a company that had $500,000 sold nearly 1/3 as many copies as a company that had 81 million dollars? That is a 162 times difference. They should be outselling these indies by a HUGE margin, not just enough to make the difference in sales price

I am sorry but UNFINISHED games, of INDIE, LOW BUDGET, NEARLY NO ADVERTSING it IS note worthy
    not really note worthy ,particularly when common sense realizes that they are targeting two very different audiences .. 7DTD and the like have been a much more popular genre in recent years and multi player ..W3 is made for a smaller audience and a very specific one to boot

7days and games in that genre have  a much wider audience ..there fore more units will sell , partiu;ar;y when they are sold at up to 75% off 4 times a year ...for 4 years ...

W3 is realtivley new still and has not seen a sale with more than 10% of its price tag

edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:

not really note worthy ,particularly when common sense realizes that they are targeting two very different audiences .. 7DTD and the like have been a much more popular genre in recent years and multi player ..W3 is made for a smaller audience and a very specific one to boot

7days and games in that genre have  a much wider audience ..there fore more units will sell , partiu;ar;y when they are sold at up to 75% off 4 times a year ...for 4 years ...

W3 is realtivley new still and has not seen a sale with more than 10% of its price tag

consider this

The budget difference alone is 162 times. So if you make that 1/3 because of sales price then Witcher 3 should be selling 54 times more copies then 7DTD. Because 7DTD is not even released yet its actually STARTING at a high number.

and your reply is that the demographic of a UNFINISHED game is larger than that of a FINISHED AAA Title when considering cost ratio?

seriously?

SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:

consider this

The budget difference alone is 162 times. So if you make that 1/3 because of sales price then Witcher 3 should be selling 54 times more copies then 7DTD. Because 7DTD is not even released yet its actually STARTING at a high number.

and your reply is that the demographic of a UNFINISHED game is larger than that of a FINISHED AAA Title when considering cost ratio?

seriously?
    lol wtf .. these other games have been out for over 4-5 years .. They should have more units sold ...especially when they give it away for pennies at times ..

wtf is wrong with you
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:

consider this

seriously?
    lol wtf .. these other games have been out for over 4-5 years .. They should have more units sold ...especially when they give it away for pennies at times ..

wtf is wrong with you
    no they should not.

do you know why?

because they are UNFINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are INDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are LOW BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they have almost NO ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to expect a game that is
    UNFINISHED,
     INDIE,
    LOW BUDGET
    Almost No Adversting

to be ANYTHING higher than 1/54th the sales numbers is note worthy unless there is about a 10 year difference and dollar made per dollar spent these game are kicking the Witcher in the balls

That all said, what is the point of this debate anyway exactly? please explain

edited December 2017
    I just did some math.

ROI per dollar spent for 7DTD is 1:132
    For Witcher 3 its 1:14

7DTD is not even released yet, Witcher 3 is released and has been for awhile

That is noteworthy to pay attention to and I assure you in board rooms these gaming companies are paying attention to those numbers

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Private Server games are the way to go, they are exploding in fantasticism. (word I just made up).

and in my opinion so much so it makes this era of gaming the best in history

Yeah and I think classic WoW was the best news all year. What does that say about 2017 tho? If you have to list emulators and private servers...
    I might have the alphas wrong but for this year:
    7 Days to Die Alpha 16
    Emperium Galaxic Survival Alpha 6
    Space Engineers Beta
    Medevil Engineers
    Subnautica (although no MP I dont think)
    Life is Fuedual MMO release

my time is limited today but I can go on if you need

'classic wow' can suck me

I think that you illustrate one of the major problems in the industry right now, too. That is game state. All but one of the games you mention here is in some state of test. Now, I'll cut you off at the pass, I understand how games these days utilize Early Access. HOWEVER!! That doesn't change the fact that I cannot tell you, at a glance, what the state of the game is or what features that are selling features to ME are actually in the game. Now, I'm ok with that in many cases. However, that doesn't change the fact that you're buying into something  that is somewhat nebulous. 

In the context of this discussion, I don't know how those fit in. Are we going to start awarding GOTY awards to games in alpha? I think that Early Access only complicates the process of selecting things like "Most <insert award> of 2018" that much more difficult, since predictability of these indie titles approaches impossible. 

I could not remotely give a fuck what 'state' the game is in.

They are fun.

So ok, then fine....in a few years it will be the best era of gaming ever when these titles 'come out'.....rolls eyes

also just for fun observation.
    The three top 'early access' titles combined sold more than Witcher 3 on ALL platforms.

If you are rolling your eyes, you obviously aren't getting "it". That's great that you, someone spending 20 hours a week talking about games (speculative), knows what is good and what isn't. The point is that the reason that it's a bad thing is that these games aren't actually being exposed to casual gamers at the same level. That's what you're not getting. 

I'm not disputing sales and I'm not bashing these games, like you think that I am, I'm just saying that, in the context of this article, it complicates the job of critics to say what's good and what's not good in any given year because release dates are no longer predicted. 

Also, the release cycle is MUCH different. Take a look at Ark, for instance. Sold MILLIONS!!! in early access, what were the sales after release? Very few. So, in it's release year, should it get GOTY consideration? All the hype behind the game is gone. In fact, I'd be surprised if many critics didn't just forget it had even released. This is what I mean by complicated. Ark was awesome..... but it was awesome in alpha, all that love kinda melted away before release. 
    again..

then for you that means in a few more years it will be the best era in gaming ever, for me its now.

you are making the choice to not play good games and instead look at bad ones and complain.

that is the bottom line here, regardless of my eye roll.

are we done?

oh and I have 1000+ hours in 7 days to die around 300 hundern in SE, and no it not testing for me and no its not filled with bugs

I'm so glad that you've had so much fun with these games but, again, unless it's released, a general consumer cannot make the assumption that these are not bug-riddled games. A consumer can't even really get a review on these because they don't exist yet. So it's not about choice, it's about the fact that most are unaware they even exist. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Private Server games are the way to go, they are exploding in fantasticism. (word I just made up).

Yeah and I think classic WoW was the best news all year. What does that say about 2017 tho? If you have to list emulators and private servers...
    I might have the alphas wrong but for this year:
    7 Days to Die Alpha 16
    Emperium Galaxic Survival Alpha 6
    Space Engineers Beta
    Medevil Engineers
    Subnautica (although no MP I dont think)
    Life is Fuedual MMO release

my time is limited today but I can go on if you need

'classic wow' can suck me

I think that you illustrate one of the major problems in the industry right now, too. That is game state. All but one of the games you mention here is in some state of test. Now, I'll cut you off at the pass, I understand how games these days utilize Early Access. HOWEVER!! That doesn't change the fact that I cannot tell you, at a glance, what the state of the game is or what features that are selling features to ME are actually in the game. Now, I'm ok with that in many cases. However, that doesn't change the fact that you're buying into something  that is somewhat nebulous. 

In the context of this discussion, I don't know how those fit in. Are we going to start awarding GOTY awards to games in alpha? I think that Early Access only complicates the process of selecting things like "Most <insert award> of 2018" that much more difficult, since predictability of these indie titles approaches impossible. 

I could not remotely give a fuck what 'state' the game is in.

They are fun.

So ok, then fine....in a few years it will be the best era of gaming ever when these titles 'come out'.....rolls eyes

also just for fun observation.
    The three top 'early access' titles combined sold more than Witcher 3 on ALL platforms.

If you are rolling your eyes, you obviously aren't getting "it". That's great that you, someone spending 20 hours a week talking about games (speculative), knows what is good and what isn't. The point is that the reason that it's a bad thing is that these games aren't actually being exposed to casual gamers at the same level. That's what you're not getting. 

I'm not disputing sales and I'm not bashing these games, like you think that I am, I'm just saying that, in the context of this article, it complicates the job of critics to say what's good and what's not good in any given year because release dates are no longer predicted. 

Also, the release cycle is MUCH different. Take a look at Ark, for instance. Sold MILLIONS!!! in early access, what were the sales after release? Very few. So, in it's release year, should it get GOTY consideration? All the hype behind the game is gone. In fact, I'd be surprised if many critics didn't just forget it had even released. This is what I mean by complicated. Ark was awesome..... but it was awesome in alpha, all that love kinda melted away before release. 
    again..

then for you that means in a few more years it will be the best era in gaming ever, for me its now.

you are making the choice to not play good games and instead look at bad ones and complain.

that is the bottom line here, regardless of my eye roll.

are we done?

oh and I have 1000+ hours in 7 days to die around 300 hundern in SE, and no it not testing for me and no its not filled with bugs

I'm so glad that you've had so much fun with these games but, again, unless it's released, a general consumer cannot make the assumption that these are not bug-riddled games. A consumer can't even really get a review on these because they don't exist yet. So it's not about choice, it's about the fact that most are unaware they even exist. 
    well what does the general consumer have to do with this other than nothing whatsoever?

Having done some math the 'general consumer' is voting 7DTD at a ROI of 1:142 compared to Witchers ROI of 1:14 so it appears the 'general consumers' ARE actually buying these games but the 'general consumer' is not the subject here.

The subject here is:
     GamerX: 'Games these days suck'
    SEANMCAD: 'Games today are awesome, would you like to know about such games?'
    GamerX: 'no'

you are gamer X

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I agree, I wouldn't like to have to create any lists / awards for the MMO genre this year, but then I've felt the same for the last 5 years or so. This year is just a bit worse as I don't think we've had any western MMOs release, so you're limited to eastern MMOs and expansions. 

If you broaden your lists to include any online multiplayer games, or just games in general, then its not so bad. The games industry as a whole isn't doing too badly - the RPG genre is pretty stale but other genres are having more success. 
    Well, the RPG genre itself did see D:OS2 release (I know, just one release, but so good a title as to make up for it), so it's really been MMORPGs specifically.

Oh well.  There's always next year.
    Yeah, I first passed on Divinity Original Sin 2 because of my issues with the first game. I ended up grabbing it because of the comments from you. You had the same exact issues I had with the original and later commented you liked the second. Really glad I ended up picking it up though. Easily my favorite game of the year.

I also enjoyed Path of Fire. I pre-ordered Stormblood, but just put in my code and unlocked it last week since I was busy with GW2. Enjoying that as well so far. WoW, FFXIV, and Guild Wars 2 are not my ideal MMOs but once I accepted them for what they are, instead of what I wanted them to be, I started having a lot more fun with them. They keep me plenty busy until I can find a long term MMORPG home.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    @SEANMCAD ;

LiF says it's slated for a 2017 release but if you go on their website it offers a beta sign-up. They are at the stage that if you own LiF:YO you can actually test the MMO version of the game. But they appear to still be waiting on full release.

If it actually will be a 2017 release they have very limited time to do it. Guessing we'll see it in 2018.
    Eldurian said:
    @SEANMCAD ;

LiF says it's slated for a 2017 release but if you go on their website it offers a beta sign-up. They are at the stage that if you own LiF:YO you can actually test the MMO version of the game. But they appear to still be waiting on full release.

If it actually will be a 2017 release they have very limited time to do it. Guessing we'll see it in 2018.
    I was just throwing out examples somewhat randomly to make a point.

This year in my opinion the excitement has been around major updates more so then full released games

Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You're funny. First you lament, every year (like every other past mmo gamer), how there aren't new things to get your fix off of and then go on to talk about stuff that was relevant a decade ago like it was the best thing.

If those best things are there for you to enjoy how was this year a bad MMO year? The people that had their online games close this year and haven't found a new community home, those are the people who've had a bad MMO year.

MMO gamers: I want some new MMO high every year, but I want it all to stay the same and never change.

The lists this year are going to be epic because this was a crazy year for gaming. There hasn't been a year this epic in a while. There were more interesting games released across all platforms and genres, especially the Switch, than I can recall in any recent year.
    they are in a marketing victim cycle.
    I know this because I used to be the same way. you just sit and wait for months for something like Gamespot to make a major splash about some cool game then that is what your supposed to like for 6 months before it comes out. Then when its ready to come out you are so hyped up you need to spend the money for release, then you do and the game is meh.

then you do it again...and again...until you finally stop

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You're funny. First you lament, every year (like every other past mmo gamer), how there aren't new things to get your fix off of and then go on to talk about stuff that was relevant a decade ago like it was the best thing.

If those best things are there for you to enjoy how was this year a bad MMO year? The people that had their online games close this year and haven't found a new community home, those are the people who've had a bad MMO year.

MMO gamers: I want some new MMO high every year, but I want it all to stay the same and never change.

The lists this year are going to be epic because this was a crazy year for gaming. There hasn't been a year this epic in a while. There were more interesting games released across all platforms and genres, especially the Switch, than I can recall in any recent year.
    Thanks for telling me what I am doing and putting words into my mouth.

Oh please enlighten me on how epic a MMORPG list and the awards will be for 2017.

Are we giving out awards for not-so-crap cash shop?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

SEANMCAD said:
    I just did some math.

That is noteworthy to pay attention to and I assure you in board rooms these gaming companies are paying attention to those numbers
    lmfao .. Noo they are not .. 

No where are  in any Board room or antylitic marketing dept for any Pub/Dev are they saying .. Hey lets take the top 3 selling Indie Multi Player Survival games from the last 5 years and compare there total sales to a AAA Single player RPG game ..... Fucking foolish at best to think such
      No where is that happening ...

7DTD is released the minute it started taking money from consumers .. and open to any positive ot negatice effects of such , Regardless of what state they want to say there game is in ...

Now do Dev/Pub  look at the success and popularity of Multo Player Survival games and target that demographic .. I think the flood of game into the genre speaks that  ..

But you are completly misguided and off track .. No matter how many ways you try to squeeze this idea of the top 3 Indie Multi Player Survival games have out sold W3 with a near 5 year head start in sales and giving there game away thru STeam sales for a bag of Skittles ...
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I just did some math.

No where are  in any Board room or antylitic marketing dept for any Pub/Dev are they saying .. Hey lets take the top 3 selling Indie Multi Player Survival games from the last 5 years and compare there total sales to a AAA Single player RPG game ..... Fucking foolish at best to think such

7DTD is released the minute it started taking money from consumers .. and open to any positive ot negatice effects of such , Regardless of what state they want to say there game is in ...

Now do Dev/Pub  look at the success and popularity of Multo Player Survival games and target that demographic .. I think the flood of game into the genre speaks that  ..

But you are completly misguided and off track .. No matter how many ways you try to squeeze this idea of the top 3 Indie Multi Player Survival games have out sold W3 with a near 5 year head start in sales and giving there game away thru STeam sales for a bag of Skittles ...
    lol...

No I am absolutely totally positive that if a competitor is making an ROI of 1:132 while they are only making 1:14 that they are absolutely going to be talking about that...zero question.

that is a HUGE return on investment difference and to be frank if its a publically traded company and the shareholders found out that there are NOT conversations happening about that? The CEO could be fired.

its very much a very big deal

that kind of ROI difference is well beyond just 'noteworthy' that is Microsoft pulling out a checkbox to buy Minecraft level of paying attention

SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I just did some math.

lol...

No I am absolutely totally positive that if a competitor is making an ROI of 1:132 while they are only making 1:14 that they are absolutely going to be talking about that...zero question.

that is a HUGE return on investment difference and to be frank if its a publically traded company and the shareholders found out that there are NOT conversations happening about that? The CEO could be fired.

that kind of ROI difference is well beyond just 'noteworthy' that is Microsoft pulling out a checkbox to buy Minecraft level of paying attention
      You are very very wrong ....................and im done here ..

Have a nice day
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I just did some math.

lol...

You are very very wrong ....................and im done here ..

Have a nice day
    no I know I am right on that.

If a publically traded company said 'you know one of our competetors is making 132 dollars for every dollar they spend AND they are not even completed with the game while we are only making 14 dollars for every 1 dolllar we spend' you can be your ass there is going to be a meeting abotu that.

AND...that is exactly why AAA companies have been having a pause the last two years. no doubt in my mind. They would be idiotic and horrid business practice not to

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I agree, I wouldn't like to have to create any lists / awards for the MMO genre this year, but then I've felt the same for the last 5 years or so. This year is just a bit worse as I don't think we've had any western MMOs release, so you're limited to eastern MMOs and expansions. 

If you broaden your lists to include any online multiplayer games, or just games in general, then its not so bad. The games industry as a whole isn't doing too badly - the RPG genre is pretty stale but other genres are having more success. 
    Well, the RPG genre itself did see D:OS2 release (I know, just one release, but so good a title as to make up for it), so it's really been MMORPGs specifically.

Oh well.  There's always next year.
    There's been a few other good RPG's this year; The Surge, NieR: Automata, Tales of Berseria, South Park, Nioh, Seven: The Days Long Gone.

All the others have been disappointing though, especially Mass Effect and Torment.
    MadFrenchie
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Nilden said:
    Let's face it 2017 was pretty abysmal when it comes to MMORPGs. The year end stuff is going to be padded with nonMMOs and expansions along with all the kickstarter MMOs that have been on lists for years now.

Good luck with that.

Don't worry. They can just ignore MMORPGs, and use the MMO list here. I wonder how many list Destiny 2 is going to get on.

It is not like MMORPGs are the main draw to websites anymore.