Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any active MUDs?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Scot said:

Welcome to WON, the world of Nari, can you imagine him playing a Mud? The mind boggles. :)

nope. The only text game I play is forum pvp. MUDs? You probably can't pay me enough for me to bother. 
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    There are still beyond a small niche of players playing TEXT games?
    Yes, especially if you're tired of the sheer number of shitbags playing MMOs these days.

Other people don't concern me .. i treat them as NPCs, or I play solo. 
    You do know that most single player games are light-years better than MMOs, right? I never understood why someone who wants to play solo would bother with an MMO.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    WTF, the DragonRealms Prime server costs $$$49.95 a month!  People must be seriously into this game to pay that.
    It's not required. The company offers a $50/mo. option (Platinum) for serious roleplayers. They also gate how many people can participate in that realm. It's designed with a pay wall to keep the population of the community in their Platinum tier small and they shut down new members when it grows too large. Its actually pretty awesome as everyone knows each other and they really take roleplaying to heart. Sadly, I (and many others) thought that's what all MMORPGs would be in the future, but it didn't turn out that way.

On the regular (Prime?) server, is RP expected?  Or fully optional?  Will the community shun you if you aren't into heavy RP?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    There are still beyond a small niche of players playing TEXT games?
    Yes, especially if you're tired of the sheer number of shitbags playing MMOs these days.

then why are you here , week in and week out with your same ole Shtik ..

Its more indictative of a person that craves attention
    WTF, the DragonRealms Prime server costs $$$49.95 a month!  People must be seriously into this game to pay that.
    It's not required. The company offers a $50/mo. option (Platinum) for serious roleplayers. They also gate how many people can participate in that realm. It's designed with a pay wall to keep the population of the community in their Platinum tier small and they shut down new members when it grows too large. Its actually pretty awesome as everyone knows each other and they really take roleplaying to heart. Sadly, I (and many others) thought that's what all MMORPGs would be in the future, but it didn't turn out that way.

On the regular (Prime?) server, is RP expected?  Or fully optional?  Will the community shun you if you aren't into heavy RP?
    You're expected to stay in-character within reason. Some OOC chat goes on. If you go completely out of character, especially to create drama or disrupt RP, you'll be booted in an instant.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited December 2017

If you don't play games for good stories, you've been playing the wrong RPGs your whole life.  What do you play, FPS?

I play RPGs for combat and progression. I have never played any games that have stories that can hold up to novels, and i am not looking for that. 

I also don't play or care for MUDs but You cant honestly believe there arent games that hold up to novels or films.. 

GTA 5 SP story, Mass Effect (Trilogy) and KOTOR all Oscar Worthy, in SWTOR each class story could be a successful Star Wars film, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Dragon Age Origins, and World of Warcraft has the ability to be a multi trilogy novel series so does Elder Scrolls.. don't sleep on games story telling ability.

I personally play games (RPGS) for the story.

Some of the best stories ever written belong to these games.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

You do know that most single player games are light-years better than MMOs, right? I never understood why someone who wants to play solo would bother with an MMO.

Because "most" is not "all". And i do not play only one, two, or even a dozen games. If there is a fun solo MMO, is there a reason not to include it in my gaming? Particularly when it is free .. the worst is for me to waste 20 min. 

For example, warframe is a fun (for me) action shooter with a lot of grind. And if that is fun for me, is there a reason why i cannot play it as a single player game?

Scorchien said:

then why are you here , week in and week out with your same ole Shtik ..

Because forum pvp is more fun than MMOs? You don't think playing a video game is the same kind of entertainment than posting on a forum, do you?

Because "most" is not "all". And i do not play only one, two, or even a dozen games. If there is a fun solo MMO, is there a reason not to include it in my gaming? Particularly when it is free .. the worst is for me to waste 20 min. 

For example, warframe is a fun (for me) action shooter with a lot of grind. And if that is fun for me, is there a reason why i cannot play it as a single player game?

You can do whatever you like. I didn't say you couldn't. I said I don't understand why people who would rather play solo bother with MMOs when there are tons of excellent RPGs to be had.

You can do whatever you like. I didn't say you couldn't. I said I don't understand why people who would rather play solo bother with MMOs when there are tons of excellent RPGs to be had.
    You don't think your idea of "excellent" applies to everyone, do you? How do you know i did not play all those excellent RPGs *and* some MMOs solo?

Of course I do whatever I like, including tell the forum what i like. 

You don't think your idea of "excellent" applies to everyone, do you? How do you know i did not play all those excellent RPGs *and* some MMOs solo?

Of course I do whatever I like, including tell the forum what i like. 
    Obviously you just want to start an argument so I'm stepping out. Have a nice day.

Well, Gemstone IV was a bust.  The game lagged horrendously in the browser with just a handful of people in an area, and the downloadable game client (last updated in 2007) didn't do anything at all when launched.  It's a shame, what I played seemed really cool.
    edited December 2017
    Well, Gemstone IV was a bust.  The game lagged horrendously in the browser with just a handful of people in an area, and the downloadable game client (last updated in 2007) didn't do anything at all when launched.  It's a shame, what I played seemed really cool.
    Don't use their game client. The best client out there right now is Mudlet. It's available for Win/Mac/Linux and is updated frequently, unlike the others. Last update was in October. It also has a nice automapping feature.

Oh, and I forgot about MUDRammer, if you're using iOS.

Don't use their game client. The best client out there right now is Mudlet. It's available for Win/Mac/Linux and is updated frequently, unlike the others. Last update was in October. It also has a nice automapping feature.

OK, thanks!  What's a safe place to get Mudlet?  And, how do I connect through it to Gemstone IV?  Sorry, total noob at this MUD stuff.
    edited December 2017

OK, thanks!  What's a safe place to get Mudlet?  And, how do I connect through it to Gemstone IV?  Sorry, total noob at this MUD stuff.
    You can get Mudlet from their site, mudlet.org. It's open source so you can have a gander at their code or build it yourself if you're worried about safety.

Most MUDs have connection info on their site. You'll need an FQDN/IP address. For example Aardwolf's connection info is:

Server address: aardmud.org
    Port: 4000

Just enter it into the appropriate fields when you set up a profile in Mudlet and you're good to go.

Also, keep in mind a few MUDs force you to use their game client, which is a shame since most are crap. I don't know if that's true or not with Gemstone so you'll have to check.

There are over 600 active MUDS so you should have no trouble finding one you like.

lol .. really? The game lagged when all we are talking about is some text? We have better technologies in the 1990s.

You can get Mudlet from their site, mudlet.org. It's open source so you can have a gander at their code or build it yourself if you're worried about safety.

Most MUDs have connection info on their site. You'll need an FQDN/IP address. For example Aardwolf's connection info is:

Server address: aardmud.org
    Port: 4000

Just enter it into the appropriate fields when you set up a profile in Mudlet and you're good to go.

Also, keep in mind a few MUDs force you to use their game client, which is a shame since most are crap. I don't know if that's true or not with Gemstone so you'll have to check.

There are over 600 active MUDS so you should have no trouble finding one you like.

Thank you!
    lol .. really? The game lagged when all we are talking about is some text? We have better technologies in the 1990s.

Yeah, I was really surprised.  I mean, I'd type, and there would be a 20 second delay before the text appeared on the screen.
    Good news:  I got the game launcher downloaded and everything works great now in GSIV.  It seems the lag was in the browser only.
    Scorchien
    Good news:  I got the game launcher downloaded and everything works great now in GSIV.  It seems the lag was in the browser only.
    Coolness. Have fun!

Yeah, I was really surprised.  I mean, I'd type, and there would be a 20 second delay before the text appeared on the screen.
    That sounds way worse than non-optimized graphics. In fact, how can you code a text interface with slow performance? Add in unnecessary loops just for the heck of it?

That sounds way worse than non-optimized graphics. In fact, how can you code a text interface with slow performance? Add in unnecessary loops just for the heck of it?

"How can you code a text interface with slow performance?"

Java...in a browser.

The site specifically states the "no download needed" web client requires Internet Explorer 5, which should tell you how old that client is. There are five other more recent clients on the same page. The OP just happened to choose the worst one.

If you're going to blindly bash something just because you don't happen to like it, at least do your homework beforehand. It will save you from looking like a fool.

Now off with you to your highly graphical Barbie dress-up-decorate-my-dollhouse-fun-palace games. I hear there are new dresses in the cash shop.
    Nilden

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2017
    Is there a monthly option for Gemstone IV? I tried looking at the site (briefly tbh, have to run out so couldn't get a good look) and platinum is 50 dollars a month. Premium is 25? a month (it says 25 extra so dunno)...but then there is no monthly fee of 10 dollars or  15 dollars or however much it is.

Or is there no monthly fee at all? Which would be weird considering that free options are super limited. and if the monthly fee is the premium thing...that is so much more expensive than any MMO lol

Its probably on the site somewhere, but I don't have time to look that great. Or maybe its buy to play or something with a free version to see how you like it. But if so, they definitely want platinum/premium to be the star on their site and hide the monthly/buy to play option.

Guess when I get home later I'll look and see, unless someone responds here.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Is there a monthly option for Gemstone IV? I tried looking at the site (briefly tbh, have to run out so couldn't get a good look) and platinum is 50 dollars a month. Premium is 25? a month (it says 25 extra so dunno)...but then there is no monthly fee of 10 dollars or  15 dollars or however much it is.

Or is there no monthly fee at all? Which would be weird considering that free options are super limited. and if the monthly fee is the premium thing...that is so much more expensive than any MMO lol

Its probably on the site somewhere, but I don't have time to look that great. Or maybe its buy to play or something with a free version to see how you like it. But if so, they definitely want platinum/premium to be the star on their site and hide the monthly/buy to play option.

Guess when I get home later I'll look and see, unless someone responds here.
    You can play for free. $25/mo is for premium and you get a bunch of perks. It's really for hardcore role-players. $50/mo is the "gated community" which is separate from the rest of the game who prefer a small closely-knit group to role-play with. There's an option at this level to design new areas for the game. It's purposely kept small by the developer.

Hope this helps.

"How can you code a text interface with slow performance?"

Java...in a browser.

You mean horribly BAD Java coding. You know we are talking about text, right? 

And yes, bashing inefficient ancient tech is fun.