Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Program Lets You Buy Land to do with 'As You See Fit' - Star Citizen News

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Tolroc said:
    Star Citizen has to have set a record for monetization of a game that hasn't yet released.
    It has. It is in the Guiness Book of World Records for largest crowdfunded project ever (any genre, not only games).

Have fun
  • DriftChickenDriftChicken Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I'm not too familiar with this game but I've heard the name flung around here and there. This seems like a cash grab to me, I mean this game hasn't even been released yet right? They're already talking about buying in-game items. Very SoTA-ish to me.
    edited December 2017
    I'm not too familiar with this game but I've heard the name flung around here and there. This seems like a cash grab to me, I mean this game hasn't even been released yet right? They're already talking about buying in-game items. Very SoTA-ish to me.
    It is a crowdfunding game. Development is financed with pledges and in-game item rewards. No publishers/investors. However - all of the items in the game can be obtained after launch of the game with in-game money too - no real world money required beyond a starter package (which was available for as low as 20 $). No ships except the most basic starter ships (for new players) will be sold for real world money after the game has launched according to CIGs plan.  This is not like World of Tanks with premium ammo and premium tanks that you can ONLY get with real world money.

Have fun
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    You know what is very important in space?  More important than land?

Air!

Now sure you can try and craft your own tanks and generators... but for just $59.99 you can buy our “Breathe!!!” Package!
    heerobyaMawneeJamesGoblinforcelimabcbullyRhygarth

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017
    So according to them, they are doing this to help fund the game even though they've reportedly raised 169 million via crowdfunding. Maybe someone can clue me in as to why they need so much...?
    Albatroes said:
    So according to them, they are doing this to help fund the game even though they've reportedly raised 169 million via crowdfunding. Maybe someone can clue me in as to why they need so much...?
    Around 400 employees in 5 studios developing 2 games (Squadron 42 single player and Star Citizen multiplayer) at full throttle.

Burn rate is (very simplified) around 4 M$ per month.

They need between 40 and 50 M$ per year as development budget.

Have fun
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Garick said:

"There's a sucker born every minute." - P.T. Barnum (attributed)

Wow so many people who never even invested in a game in their lives crying because a game sells virtual land, I guess people forgot about games like Entropia Universe that sells land up to the value of 250k real money, If you can't afford to invest then keep your noses out and go cry somewhere else.

Yes, but in Entropia the land actually exists as more than a concept on paper. You can walk to it, see it, build stuff on it, etc. With Star Citizen it only exists as a concept written on a piece of paper somewhere, much like many of the ships people have purchased. That's a huge difference. 

Actually the current PTU has 3 moons and a very large asteroid. So land does exist in the game right now. These moons are not quite so large as our real moon but are believed to be equal to about 400,000 4x4 plots per moon and each 4km x 4km deed is nearly the size of skyrims entire map so for 50 dollars you are getting a spot almost as big as the entirety of skyrims map. The land claim deeds are actually just a license and equipment to mark out a plot on the land, you still must return to the main office to turn in the marked areas information for it to be claimed. So if say you and someone else mark a spot, whoever returns with the info and registers the plot is the one who gets it (though if you fail to get it your license will not be used up.)

As for building on the land, no that certainly isn't in yet.
    They might have to re-create the whole map to allow claiming for land, though. They're unlikely to allow terraforming due to how much computer resources it would cost, and allowing building on slopes would require a lot of development time that's better used elsewhere. Their best option might be to re-create the maps with procedural generator placing good building sites around.

So the land that you'll eventually build on might not yet exists. Before some basic mechanics are in place it's too early say that it exists.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Erillion said:
    Albatroes said:
    Around 400 employees in 5 studios developing 2 games (Squadron 42 single player and Star Citizen multiplayer) at full throttle.

Have fun
    Ah, didn't know they were working on 2 titles
    >>>
    They will indeed not fit on major slopes, nor will they allow you to terraform the land.
    >>>

They use pillars with platforms to put bases on slopes

Have fun

Erillion said:
    >>>
    They will indeed not fit on major slopes, nor will they allow you to terraform the land.
    >>>

Have fun

But even with pillars or other similar foundations designed to fit into somewhat sloping land, there's a limit to how much you can raise buildings from the ground before it becomes ridiculous. Also with ground combat in game it's not only a question of aesthetics, it's about gameplay mechanics when attacking or defending the building.

That's why my guess would be that they'll need to limit building larger buildings to only on (relatively) flat terrain.

Albatroes said:
    In the last 6 years my income has literally doubled... yet my savings account is pretty much the same. More money available means more ways you find to spend it.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

Have fun

But even with pillars or other similar foundations designed to fit into somewhat sloping land, there's a limit to how much you can raise buildings from the ground before it becomes ridiculous. Also with ground combat in game it's not only a question of aesthetics, it's about gameplay mechanics when attacking or defending the building.

That's why my guess would be that they'll need to limit building larger buildings to only on (relatively) flat terrain.
    I am Austrian. The Alps form the backbone of this country.

There is no such thing as a "slope too steep" ;-)

httpimagescdnbaunetzdeimg1407487083f87a13261c16ejpeg

Have fun
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    price tag on this game is over 150 Million. This better be the greatest game ever made. Even if it comes out in 2025. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited December 2017
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

Have fun

I am Austrian. The Alps form the backbone of this country.

There is no such thing as a "slope too steep" ;-)

httpimagescdnbaunetzdeimg1407487083f87a13261c16ejpeg
    How would that look if someone added modules and extended that house 30 meters to the left, then from that point built a wing 30 meters straight ahead?

And perhaps more importantly, how would it affect people's ability to attack that outpost?

Also if people are allowed to build that huge pillars on a mountain, then shouldn't they be allowed to build pillars of equal height on flat terrain?

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    klash2def said:
    price tag on this game is over 150 Million. This better be the greatest game ever made. Even if it comes out in 2025. 
    Dont forget without a publisher Chris Roberts said every dollar for them is like 4 dollars for a normal game company so that puts their total up to $600 million.  Also the marketing is being covered by subscribers and those dollars are not part of the crowd funding numbers so you also have to take that into consideration.  In 5 years when this game launches apparently we will be getting a game worth 1 billion dollar if developed by another company.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    klash2def said:
    It's going to need a lot more than 150 million to keep from going bankrupt if it takes that long to come out (which it very well might)

Erillion said:
    Albatroes said:

Have fun
    Indeed.  If the game doesn't release in a year or two (which is highly likely going to be the case given the current status), you can expect them to find something else to sell as well because they're going to need more money than this.

Be strong, Star Citizens!  Prepare your wallets!  This ride ain't over yet by a long shot!
    edited December 2017
    Vrika said:
    How would that look if someone added modules and extended that house 30 meters to the left, then from that point built a wing 30 meters straight ahead?

And perhaps more importantly, how would it affect people's ability to attack that outpost?

Also if people are allowed to build that huge pillars on a mountain, then shouldn't they be allowed to build pillars of equal height on flat terrain?
    Part 1 of your question:

They (in the real world)  would make (a) central pillar(s) (anchored deep into the top of the mountain) and anchor those two wings (suspension bridge style) with strong cables to the pillar(s). To keep them from swinging in high wind, they would connect the protruding wings to the mountainside with other strong cables and anchor them there. That gives a three way anchorage and stability. No pillars straight down from the wings, as those pillars are getting too high  (however, pillars to a height of 130 m / 400 feet are not unusual in The Alps).

Part 2 of your question:

With the endurance and exhaustion rules in place, an infantry assault on a mountain top base will be very difficult and dangerous. You better have some serious aerial fire support. Aim for the pillars.

Part 3 of your question:

It is my understanding that at present those pillars are added automatically by the program to obtain a flat surface on uneven terrain. Players are not building those pillars themselves. In games where they can do that, players have build insanely high structures ;-)

Have fun

edited December 2017
    Erillion said:

Part 2 of your question:

With the endurance and exhaustion rules in place, an infantry assault on a mountain top base will be very difficult and dangerous. You better have some serious aerial fire support. Aim for the pillars.

Why would RSI choose to position bases on mountains and hills by giving them defensive advantage?

Building in an mountain environment would be more frustrating, once it's build moving around the place would be more frustrating, but players try to optimize their results and they will build whatever manner of base RSI decides is best.

Vrika said:
    Why would RSI choose to position bases on mountains and hills by giving them defensive advantage?

Building in an mountain environment would be more frustrating, once it's build moving around the place would be more frustrating, but players try to optimize their results and they will build whatever manner of base RSI decides is best.
    In the era of jet packs and antigrav devices, i could imagine technical solutions for moving around a mountain base as easily as in a base on flat terrrain.

Technically i expect the usual green/red overlay on the ground in the shape of the future base. Red would be "Not possible to build here". The player moves the overlay around until all parts of his future base are in a green area. He then clicks "BUILD". The game asks if he is sure. He confirms. Presto! New base. Cool would be some "building a house" animations that you see in some RTS games while building the base.

Have fun
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Erillion said:
    Albatroes said:

Have fun
    So after what 3 and a half years or so we can expect them to run out of money? How long has it been?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Nilden said:
    Erillion said:
    Albatroes said:

Have fun
    So after what 3 and a half years or so we can expect them to run out of money? How long has it been?
    yeah because everyone with a reasonable IQ assumes all funding is going to immediately stop 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    yeah because everyone with a reasonable IQ assumes all funding is going to immediately stop 
    Well ... some people ***cough cough *** are having a 30+ tweet meltdown today  over the funding issue and have "inside sources" reporting them that the collapse is imminent. AGAIN !

All the reported income has been faked. There is no spoon !

90 days .. tops !

Have fun
    edited December 2017
    Nilden said:
    The CIG internal crowdfunding started in Sep/Oct 2012 and continued until today after Nov 2012.

The Kickstarter crowdfunding was in Oct/Nov 2012.

CIG took about 1.5 years to build up its manpower and studio infrastructure to really start the development in earnest. They outsourced some development in the meantime - and were not very successful with that solution, having to recreate a lot of work again later in-house.

Personally i would consider around second quarter 2014 as the time when the development really picked up speed. I attribute this to the organisational talent of Erin Roberts, that complements well with the creative talent of his brother Chris. Of course Erin is also a very creative developer.

When Foundry 42 Germany opened in summer 2015 and over time recruited some of the best and brightest talents from CryTek, i detected a significant jump in quality and boldness. There is a reason why these guys are now being called the "German wizards" in the team.

In 2016 and 2017 CIG had its full complement of 300-400 people. My estimate of 4 M$ per month burn rate is for a team of 400. Early in the project it was MUCH less. So its not 3.5 years but longer than that (if i remember correctly the progression was something like 10 people during Kickstarter, 30+ in 2013, then 90 something, 230 something, 320 something, now 400 something ... there is a powerpoint slide with official numbers up to 2016 in a presentation somewhere)

Have fun

Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well ... some people ***cough cough *** are having a 30+ tweet meltdown today  over the funding issue and have "inside sources" reporting them that the collapse is imminent.

90 days .. tops !

Have fun
    Just hope they release SQ42 before then...

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well ... some people ***cough cough *** are having a 30+ tweet meltdown today  over the funding issue and have "inside sources" reporting them that the collapse is imminent. AGAIN !

90 days .. tops !

Have fun
    no idea what news your refering to because I dont watch SC news like a hard dick

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me