Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Review - General Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageXenoblade Chronicles 2 Review - General Columns

If you’ve been playing your Nintendo Switch as much as I have, you’re probably already eagerly awaiting any new epic RPG that comes out. We’ve had Breath of the Wild, we got Skyrim, and Disgaea 5, but for many JRPG fans, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be the first really exciting release on the Switch. And I’m here to say that it’s been worth the wait for the follow up to the Wii’s original classic. This is our Xenoblade Chronicles 2 review for the Nintendo Switch.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Maybe I'll be able to put down Fire Emblem Warriors for 5 minutes to try it.

I really love the Switch.
    BillMurphyMrMelGibson
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I don't really know much about the Xenoblade games, but I have played Xenoblade Chronicles X a lot on the Wii U. This one looks extremely different, though some of the mechanics sound quite similar.

Is there much relationship between XCX and XC2?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I don't really know much about the Xenoblade games, but I have played Xenoblade Chronicles X a lot on the Wii U. This one looks extremely different, though some of the mechanics sound quite similar.

@grakulen can say more, as he played the others, but I believe X was a spinoff, while XC2 is a sequel (in name more than story) to XC1 - which looked similar.
    MrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706

@grakulen can say more, as he played the others, but I believe X was a spinoff, while XC2 is a sequel (in name more than story) to XC1 - which looked similar.

Nice one, thanks Bill. I did enjoy XCX quite a bit, it was very grindy at times but still fun. With XCX though, I was on an alien world surrounded by crazy big creatures and spent a lot of time running around in a big-ass mech that transforms into some weird-ass motorbike.....very different from what you're describing!

But, the combat mechanics (similar to tab-targetting) sounded the same. In XCX, you had 8 abilities + overdrive and auto attack. When team members said something (soul voices), if you used a skill that related to what they said it would provide decent bonuses. So, if Elma said "He's down, now move in and finish him off", you would have to move in and use a melee attack and that would give you 150% bonus damage.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Another great title added to my long queue of games. In starting to think maybe I should be adding them to my will instead.
    KyleraninfomatzrojoArcueid
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Another great title added to my long queue of games. In starting to think maybe I should be adding them to my will instead.
    I feel this way even when only including Switch titles. The system has had such a great cadence of incredible, polished games. I'll never be able to keep up. 

This system has reinvigorated my love for gaming in a way that makes me wish I was a kid again. Back then, I'd have actually had time for them.
    ConstantineMerus
    Aeander said:
    I feel this way even when only including Switch titles. The system has had such a great cadence of incredible, polished games. I'll never be able to keep up. 

This system has reinvigorated my love for gaming in a way that makes me wish I was a kid again. Back then, I'd have actually had time for them.
    Well that's the spirit of Nintendo. Gaming in its purest form, just good old fun. 
    rojoArcueidinfomatz

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Aeander said:

Well that's the spirit of Nintendo. Gaming in its purest form, just good old fun. 
    I've always been a fan of Nintendo - especially the Fire Emblem and SBB franchises. This time around, they've managed to make me love Zelda and Mario, which I'm normally indifferent to, so I think that speaks volumes for the quality here. I look forward to seeing what they'll do in the future.

If only Disney had given them the Star Wars license, amirite?
    rojoArcueid
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited November 2017

This game uses the same engine XCX did. That allowed them to greatly reduce development time. However all the games are standalone. The are sequels in the sense each entry in the Final Fantasy series are sequels. (except the ones that are direct sequels like X and X-II and the XIIIs)
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]MrMelGibsoninfomatz
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Can't wait to buy a Switch and play this game. Hopefully this holiday will be that time.

Nice one, thanks Bill. I did enjoy XCX quite a bit, it was very grindy at times but still fun. With XCX though, I was on an alien world surrounded by crazy big creatures and spent a lot of time running around in a big-ass mech that transforms into some weird-ass motorbike.....very different from what you're describing!

But, the combat mechanics (similar to tab-targetting) sounded the same. In XCX, you had 8 abilities + overdrive and auto attack. When team members said something (soul voices), if you used a skill that related to what they said it would provide decent bonuses. So, if Elma said "He's down, now move in and finish him off", you would have to move in and use a melee attack and that would give you 150% bonus damage.

It's my understand that Skells are not in this game. (aka the Big Ass Mechs)

Can't wait to buy a Switch and play this game. Hopefully this holiday will be that time.

Money well spent.
    MrMelGibsonrojoArcueid
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Picking this up tomorrow! Can't wait. Love my switch. Been having a blast playing skyrim in handheld mode.
    [Deleted User]rojoArcueid
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Grakulen said:

Money well spent.
    Bah, its not a "real" gaming platform unless it has a KB and mouse. 

;)
    MrMelGibsonrojoArcueid

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:

Money well spent.

;)
    Blasphemy.
    KyleranConstantineMerusMrMelGibsoninfomatzrojoArcueid
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    @Grakulen I was a huge fan of Xenoblade Chronicles X, even bought the WiiU just for it; although, somewhat regret having done that due to the Switch coming out just a few months later. I don't currently own a Switch, but am considering purchasing one to experience Xenoblade chronicles 2. Do you think it is worth purchasing the Switch to play XC2? Of course, I would also pick up BoTW, but there really isn't much else on the Switch that interests me; Nintendo doesn't tend to have a game lineup that particularly interests me much, due to the general lack of exclusive titles (aside from Xenoblade).
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    /Weeps,

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth +
    Skyrim portable
    Fire Emblem Warriors
    Cat Quest
    Stardew Valley
    Mario Kart 8
    Zelda BoTW
    Mario + Rabbids

WHEN am I actually able to play this too?.... The Switch alone could take up all my gaming time with high quality, diverse titles.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Maxstone1Maxstone1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Being a life-long PC (5 years old on a Commadore 64), Sega, the PS player I have never, ever been interested in the Nintendo...with the amount of convergence going on most of the stuff I really play can be found elsewhere. So should I really get a Switch when really 3-4 games exclusive to it are the must haves?
    Maxstone1 said:
    Being a life-long PC (5 years old on a Commadore 64), Sega, the PS player I have never, ever been interested in the Nintendo...with the amount of convergence going on most of the stuff I really play can be found elsewhere. So should I really get a Switch when really 3-4 games exclusive to it are the must haves?
    The fact that you can play every game in handheld mode makes it a unique experience.  I have had my switch for over a month and never once played it on my TV lol.  Being able to lay down comfortably and play skyrim in bed was once a dream that has become reality. 

The game selection on the Nintendo shop is pretty extensive as well.  I was surprised how many titles are available.  
    [Deleted User]
    Grakulen said:
    Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:

Money well spent.

;)
    Blasphemy.
    Like gaming started with mouse. Pffft... these young lads!
    Moxom914Grakulen

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    My opinion of the Switch is an overpriced piece of junk.  Kids are already on their 4th controller and I am not even going to bother listing all the issues we have had with the console.  The next thing that breaks it goes in the garbage.

Beyond the new Mario game and Zelda, I have yet to see a good title on it.  I just do not grasp why people think this is a worthwhile buy. 
    Ozmodan said:
    My opinion of the Switch is an overpriced piece of junk.  Kids are already on their 4th controller and I am not even going to bother listing all the issues we have had with the console.  The next thing that breaks it goes in the garbage.

Beyond the new Mario game and Zelda, I have yet to see a good title on it.  I just do not grasp why people think this is a worthwhile buy. 
    Do your kids throw the damn things? 

I have yet to break a Switch controller. I doubt most people have broken a controller.
    MrMelGibson
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I wasn't interested in the Switch, but if they continue to get more (j)RPGs, like how the snes was full of them, I will probably give it a try. That's probably the main reason I have a 3ds, for the RPGs over the years.

I use to get the Nintendo machines, think I got a couple after snes, 64 and gamecube maybe? I was disappointed with them and when the ps1 was out and had all the RPGs, been with them ever since, heh.
    MrMelGibson
    Ozmodan said:

Maybe it's time to get new kids! ;)
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

Ozmodan said:

I believe they sell silicon covers that you can put on your kids to protect the switch.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Aeander