Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So you are happy with the direction It's going?

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
This are a question for those who started the MMOs back in late 90s and early 00s.

What did you think back then how the future of MMOs would evolve and how much right and wrong are you today?

Comments

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    "I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now." Edna Mode
    I had always hoped for more solo content, it was so group oriented you couldn't really do anything by yourself until you hit cap. Now we have more solo content than group, and I'm ok with that. I think the difficulty level has been watered down too much though. When I am solo and I go 3-4 days without dying something is wrong. I'm always getting myself into trouble, and now it's too easy to get yourself out I think.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited December 2017
    I really expected Skyrim-style NPC dialogue customization to have shown up in MMOs by now, but it doesn't seem to be a thing devs consider important.

There's also a sad lack of instanced dungeons which scale themselves down to the size of the group entering.
    [Deleted User]OrthelianSignex
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Xodic said:
    I didn't see them devolving into massive single player online games.
    Yeah, I remember thinking "The future is bright" when playing SWG and daydreaming about how game features could evolve as future tech comes out. Now I fear for the future of MMORPG's but I think MMO's like Destiny 2 will probably be ok cause their audience doesn't need/demand much.
    Tsiya
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I thought the genre would go closer to pen and paper RPGs but it seems it went closer to Diablo instead. I can't say I am very happy with that.
    jmcdermottukroalandConstantineMerusdeniterobiiKyleran[Deleted User]beebop500zzaxAlBQuirky
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Maurgrim said:
    This are a question for those who started the MMOs back in late 90s and early 00s.

What did you think back then how the future of MMOs would evolve and how much right and wrong are you today?

I thought they would be amazing worlds.  They turned into arcade games.
    AnthurobiiGraySealKyleranbeebop500zzaxAlBQuirky
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Considering I started with DAOC then SWG, lets just say no...
    [Deleted User]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Loke666 said:
    I thought the genre would go closer to pen and paper RPGs but it seems it went closer to Diablo instead. I can't say I am very happy with that.
    With software like Fantasy Grounds and Roll20, it's easy to go back to PnP RPG's.  Especially when the people you used to play with live a thousand miles away.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Not as glitzy as I expected but in some ways more fulfilling...

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Loke666 said:

I though the genre would go closer to pen and paper RPGs but it seems it went closer to Diablo instead.

I *can* say I am very happy with that. There is a reason why i like Diablo way more than pen & paper RPGs. 
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I miss the social aspect and the longevity of the communities. Gone are the days where you could play one MMO with the same people for 5+ years.

But fear not, my upcoming MMO (made on a budget in Unity) will be the salvation we're all waiting for!
    Octagon7711MrMelGibsonAlBQuirky
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Big variety of games to choose from.  Gone are the days of playing an MMO because it was one of the only three available.
    laxieMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    laxie said:
    I miss the social aspect and the longevity of the communities. Gone are the days where you could play one MMO with the same people for 5+ years.

Good. I don't play games for community and people. I treat most other players as NPCs anyway. If i want to make friends, i have plenty in real life. 
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]CecropiaKyleranninesterssetsua28R3d.Gallows
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Progressing through EQ then DAoC to SWG and EVE, I remember thinking to myself where will we be in 10 years. I never thought we'd be where we are today. I imagined complex worlds, world to be lived in full of players all interacting with each other either co-operatively or in conflict with each other, cities built by players in open worlds which would be defended by the players. Economies that relied on the players to manufacture everything in game, from clothing to weapons to armour to vehicles.

I never once envisioned a genre of single player games on rails that took a few weeks to complete and then consisted of repeating the same scripted 10 man events over and over and over and over just to get a new pair of pants or a shiny hat. MMO's became MO's and lost the social element that made the original MMO's such a unique experience. What a waste!
    BruceYeedelete5230FearumAlBQuirky
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Well , this question is a bit of a conundrum for me , as i started text Muds on my C64 playing right thru to Neverwinter in the early 90s  to UO and forward .. And at that point , I realized this shit is going to be big , in the late 90s to early 2000s to present i began to invest heavily in every Pub/Dev house In EA/ Vivendi/ FCMKF , some magazines ..etc ..

Now the altho the games didnt quite go as i had hoped (altho i still have fun ) The industry did .. and everytime i look at my stock portfolio i smile ...

so for me the answer is yes and no
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Not as glitzy as I expected but in some ways more fulfilling...
    lol I think I could say the opposite on both counts.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    society is in a different place than it was 10-15 years ago. Thats probably the biggest contributing factor for the change in general especially with mmos.

People dont have time for MMO's how they used to be, they need it streamlined now because attention spans are just shorter. Remember physical Game Guide books? Those things were hundreds of pages long with game info and intel.. having one meant everything, today you just need to watch the video on youtube.

Times have changed and we have to adapt. Going to be interested to see what happens during the next decade for sure with games like Star Citizen even Elite having such ambitious plans. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    MMORGs were niche. By some fluke, one went mainstream. Well, now, we don't even have that one anymore.

Oh well, 
    holdenfivedelete5230immodiumAlBQuirky
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I remember playing SWG and thinking how in the future games would only evolve with larger more detailed open world maps, nope.

Not GW2, not even BDO comes close. In fact the entire GW2 map (all zones) is smaller than one SWG planet map. You could actually fit 4 gw2 maps into one SWG map. Same with BDO.
    laxieMikehadelete5230
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Good. I don't play games for community and people. I treat most other players as NPCs anyway. If i want to make friends, i have plenty in real life. 
    I am the exact opposite. If I play a MMO, I usually hope to make friends and meet people. I'd play a single player game otherwise.

That said, getting a person to talk to you can be harder that defeating an endgame boss in some games. :grin:
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2017
    I am very disappointed because for a very long time,i had very high hopes and did see a steady stream of improving and new ideas.

Now almost everything in the industry seems like greedy gimmicks to enhance sales and cash shops and a lot less improving games.

I see someone mentioning "TALKING"try hearthstone a Blizzard game,NO talking ,just a few simple emotes that a lot of players consider bad.

So when i saw how Square Enix introduced the language translator i was impressed,now we see devs NOT allowing any talking,just real sad.

Game mechanics trying to give us some plausible realism?Screw that many games going even more automated,an idea that Eve was the first to really piss me off with that idea.

Wow the most played mmorpg...NO HOUSING,how dumb is that.Acceptable if for example some small studio that is trying to get it's feet wet and needed a expansion or two to get it in there but this is MANY years later,still no form of housing.This says a lot abotu how developers wil only give what is needed out of them,they will not go that extra mile to deliver a realistic ROLE playing game.

Remember the heat was on,GW1 a lobby instance game,NOTHING has changed,devs in many games still delivering the ANTI mmo ,instance gaming.

Exploration?Soem of these modern devs thought of some stupid idea that we will hand hold you directly to each destination then hand out exploration completion xp/rewards.The whole idea turns me right off,like none of these people making systems have a clue they are making a role playing game,instead they just add ideas to give players something to look at or complete.

Markers over heads,what a relief to see FFXI,no markers,no hand holding,all i have seen since that time is games getting far worse with the immersion ruining experience.Now they want to bring back scaling,an idea tried by EQ2 MANY years ago and proved to be a huge fail,nobody learning from mistakes i guess.
    Peajay123GolelornAlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I expected more progress in the form of AI to populate these world's with more life-like NLC inhabitants.  Factions warring independent of player input, dynamically attacking, defending, and counterattacking one another.  A world alive that the player is dropped into to play a role in.
    MrMelGibsonGraySealMendelOrthelianAlBQuirky

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I never thought about the future. All I cared about was the game I was playing. 
    holdenfiveninesters
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The first MMORPG I bought was EQ when it was new.  It took a while for me to get it working.  I had to get the internet, and then had to get a graphics card after that, all in all it was a hassle to get it to work.  The whole time the idea in my head of what it was going to be like versus what it actually was like was very disappointing.  I wasn't a fan of that game. 

The idea in my head was pretty neat.  My character coming upon someone overwhelmed by monsters in the wood and helping them and the meeting having significance, like in stories etc.  

Unlike most people who seem to only like to be forced into grouping to do generic nonsense and consider that to be the pinnacle of MMO social interaction, I find that to just give truth to the lie there is any worth while social interaction in mmorpgs.  Its meaningless interaction and I avoid it as much as possible.  I have to deal with people all day at work, and if my interaction with them in games can't be of any significance (and trying to rp for no reason isn't significant either) I'd rather not do it.

There is this false dichotomy of people believing the two choices are these single player MMOs or their preferred forced chatroom MMO.  In both there is no interaction of any meaning, and if I can't have that I'd rather be left alone and churn through the solo content by myself.

For my likes, since I don't bemoan the loss of games that are still around and you can still play (which has always confused me), I can play all the games that have came out that I liked...from AO to Wildstar.  I am playing DDO now and loving all the character development options.

But, in a perfect world, I would love to enter a game that tries to emulate what the core of the P&P experience wanted to give...to enter a blank book with my character and fill it with his story.  P&P can't give it because of scale and scope.  Crpgs can't and are going in the opposite direction by having a highly narrated story dictated to you as you passively watch like a book or movie.  But MMOrpgs could possibly if they went back to the drawing board and just did everything different, and then built upon that released game after released game until some decades later I can enter a game as a character I created and make my own story, and not just churn through scripted content on my own or with a small chatroom of meaningless nothing.  
    DeadSpockAlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Maurgrim said:

I am totally wrong.
    UO was exactly the way I thought MMO's should be (ignoring specific problems and early development issues). Worlds.
    I expected it all to be enhanced and evolved into greater games.
    That didn't happen.
    I didn't know the world was so full of "give-me" types who wanted to be made winners in their own minds, as opposed to gamers who wanted challenge in their game.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Chronicles of Elyria, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Ashes of Creation, Star Citizen, Peria Chronicles, Project TL, etc.

I'm happy with the direction it's going now. Question is whether we'd get to the destination or not.

I was also happy with the direction when I followed SWToR, TSW, ESO, Wildstar, Archeage, TERA, Black Desert, etc. 

I'm not playing any of those. So you can say my problem has never been with the direction but with the destination. It's the delivery that is killing it for me. 
    MrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung