Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patreon for poor people that cant afford CoE? Elyrian Assistance Program announced...

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
https://www.patreon.com/ElyrianAssistanceProgram

I thought this was a joke at first, but it's not...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

AllerleirauhTokkenOctagon7711Asm0deusAlbatroesAzaron_Nightblade

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Cool, another positive for your other thread!
    Slapshot1188WellspringJustDrakeDakeruwingood
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Naw, I just put $23,000 into a startup that gives me return like stocks are meant to be.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Rhoklaw said:
    This is probably the saddest thing I've ever seen. A fundraiser to help gamers afford games?
    A game that's 2 years from release none the less...

Octagon7711[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wonder how will they determine who can't afford it, or will it just be a giveaway paid for by donations?  

Why give out free copies when you can get others to pay for them.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Wonder how will they determine who can't afford it, or will it just be a giveaway paid for by donations?  

Why give out free copies when you can get others to pay for them.
    From the announcement post:

What is the Elyrian Assistance Program?

We are a group of donors looking to help those players who have shown dedication and passion for Chronicles of Elyria, and cannot afford the game, a chance at playing the game by gifting them Elyrian package from the CoE store, or gifting them your spare copy of the game from your own purchase of the 'Carriage for two'.

What do you need to do?

First, regardless if you are a donor or in need of this program, the best place to start would be our discord, which can be found through the We See Hope picture below. Just give it a click and be directed to our discord!

If you are in need of a copy of the game, just visit our application channel and give us your forum name and a brief description of why you need/deserve a copy of the game. If you are a prospective donor, just hop into the discord and search through the applicants for someone you feel deserving of your donation.

Lastly, we need help from everyone to search their community and identify people who may need and want our help! Not everyone is comfortable being public about financial troubles and may be hesitant to jump in here without a boost from someone they know and trust in their community.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    They must want peons really badly Oo
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    How many years of indentured servitude ingame to the donors kingdom is required?
    KyleranMadFrenchieOzmodanGolelornSpottyGekkoFlyByKnight
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Asheram said:
    How many years of indentured servitude ingame to the donors kingdom is required?
    They are missing a huge opportunity here.

Players of a certain title or aristocracy should be able to purchase other players an account,  however those accounts should be bound to the lord, like a medieval serfdom.

[Deleted User]YashaXGolelornsome-clueless-guyAsheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JustDrakeJustDrake Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Asheram said:
    Since its a group of people across servers, kingdoms and groups none at all.

Now I knew you were all salty about the game but your being salty about a group of people trying to help others get into the game at release.

The people they are helping are already members of the community.
    We are not desperate for people to come to the game, just helping those in the community who want to be able to play from release.

The patreon is there for those donors who want to help buy can't afford a to buy someone a full pack.

Why can' you understand the Coe community is a community of decent people waiting for a game to release.
    Just because other communities can be toxic doesn't mean they all are
    mystichaze
    Xodic said:
    There's a difference between not being able to justify the cost, and not being able to afford it. If you want to help people who can't afford the game, then don't buy them the game. 
    Buy them food, clothes, and hygiene products instead. 

Or maybe they can afford to live just fine but are unable to afford to buy themselves games and have to wait for birthdays etc.

Just because someone can' afford a game doesn't mean they are poor...
    jimmywolfKyleranEvilGeek
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2017
    There's something fishy with this program:

A game package costs $45. To get that much money you'll have to get $50 pledges through Patreon. Yet for some reason it looks like the creator thinks that $45 in pledges is enough.

The creator aims to have 180$/month in pledges in order to donate one copy of Chronicles of Elyria every week, when he would need an average of $218 to do it.

Kyleran said:
    Asheram said:

Players of a certain title or aristocracy should be able to purchase other players an account,  however those accounts should be bound to the lord, like a medieval serfdom.

There is already a discussion about contracts allowing slavery on their forums...

KyleranYashaXAsheram

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited December 2017
    Not only is their logo distasteful (helping hand logo), but name and premise are as well.

I can only imagine what kind of people they are in real life with all the talk of slavery, and the people begging to have paraplegics and ing avatars with missing limbs in the game.

In short, cringe is bountiful at their forums
    YashaX
    OrangeBoy said:

In short, cringe is bountiful at their forums
    You should see what it's like on the two (secret and super secret) high roller private forums...

Kyleran

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    My real question is....CoE is a pc title, right? So if they can't even afford the game, how can they even afford a rig to play it? Maybe they'll start a patreon for that as well....
    YashaXKyleranFlyByKnight
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    CoE is a subscription game (metaphorically.  It's actual planned business model is some bizarre frankenstein that somehow takes the dead arcade pay-per-life model and extends it to an MMORPG, but the creators insist that it'll "average" out to $30 a year or so)

If a person is so poor that they can't afford to buy CoE, they shouldn't be straddled with a subscription cost either.  Getting these poor people CoE only so they'll have to pay $30 a year on average for it is an act of cruelty.
    Kyleran
    Absolutely cheapest blade server I could find is dual 8C 2.7 GHz E5-2680 CPU Dual 300GB HDD and 384GB RAM. - $3900 given the current design spec for this game it probably handle at most 10 connections due to all this AI, mobs, chat system and database overhead. Reducing and elimination of Advanced AI would gain about 15 users per machine (25) giving a 70% total and leaving 30% spare for overloading. Spread out across 40 CPU or 20 units possible covering 2500 max users due to distributed computing at 70% load and leaving peek at around 3500 CCU.

The total cost or hardware is $78,000 and one router $3100, probably set up in your garage with a local commercial connection at $500 a month ($6000 year).

(as will become clear on CCU to users that is about 12,500 users paying you $30 a year which is $375,000 a year. not to bad really. It can support 8 to 10 developers with part time employment.

Now if we spin this to 200,000 concurrent users the cost is increased is 2000 Blades at $7,800,000 which is not bad but still eats at profits. Now to have 200,000 CCU you generally account for 20% being online at any given time so the total user base for 200,000 CCU is 1,000,000 1 million people pay average $30 dollars a year! woot yes that is $30,000,000 a year clear profit!

NOT!

2000 blades require housing (preferably in a controlled environment usually also in multiple locations) cost of housing the machines can eat at profits each building can cost (just a small shed with electricity and air-condition $30,000 a year excluding buying the land and people selling land near fiber can get REALLY expensive, routers you need one router per 24 machines average cost of a good one starts at $3100 each 24 machines requires another router to tie in the system 2000 machines will cost (88 routers) $272,800 , fiber optic (dirt cheap from ATT which is decided on now far the cables need to go and runs around $20,000 a mile per year (quoted by ATT), A team of engineers at each location (head engineer $100,000 a year and a couple tech (another $100,000 a year) total cost $200,000 a year which is probably shit service given there are 2 locations will be $400,000).

So far our total cost of a system of 1 million users is $8,072,800 initial less building cost just say there is 2 east and west.

$60,000 a year

Stuff breaks down and needs replaced. Buying cheap can get costly replacements and can add to 20% original cost per year.

$1,614,560 a year.

Let's just for sake it cost one mile of fiber per building $40,000.

Leaving out Customer Care, administrative cost and all that which can add up but we can say unknown.

$1,714,560

LOOKS DAMN GOOD!

Well there is this thing call over building infrastructure of course and that is what if the game fails? Initial sales may be skyrocketed into say a million users so you have a lot of hardware. Let's just suppose it was so good you had to double your infrastructure and spent double. The carryover from month to month may be breaking even so new users come in a old one leave.

Suppose you have over built the infrastructure and spent 7.8 million on initial investment expecting 1 million users and low and behold you only get 10,000 who carry over from the first year and maybe 5,000 to 6,000 on the next year and slowly you have to start removal of hardware which gets maybe 10% of initial cost.

BUT you always paint a bright future for your investors well under normal circumstances you have investors but Kickstarter are just collection plates so you can sell off the equipment close it down and walk away. The issues of liable is non-existent.

After careful study of MMO industry and history of the market a wise investor wants to see concrete plans and realistic goals.

Just saying,
    Gdemami

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Kyleran said:
    Asheram said:

There is already a discussion about contracts allowing slavery on their forums...

Obviously a community of decent people waiting for the game to release ...
    Kyleran
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    YashaX said:
    Kyleran said:
    Asheram said:

Obviously a community of decent people waiting for the game to release ...
    I agree. They should desire mass slaughter like all of us normal gamers.
    Kyleran

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Is this a like a Time Out Tent for college kids who need attention when away form mommy and daddy's basement ?
    JustDrake
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Kyleran said:
    Asheram said:

Be fun trying to enforce that if the game sucks. Lets say I'm an idiot who donates whatever so some poor disadvantaged gamer can play but after a week he quits. You know,  because the finds something better to do like get a job. What good have I done? Charity should be for the needy not the wanty.......
    Well their character would still be in the game so...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    JustDrake said:
    Kyleran said:
    Asheram said:

Be fun trying to enforce that if the game sucks. Lets say I'm an idiot who donates whatever so some poor disadvantaged gamer can play but after a week he quits. You know,  because the finds something better to do like get a job. What good have I done? Charity should be for the needy not the wanty.......
    Well their character would still be in the game so...
    Which is why they should design it so the patron always retains control of the account and what activities they'll permit it do and who gets to sit at the helm.

A patron could truly command a nation...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

ArChWind said:
    Absolutely cheapest blade server I could find is dual 8C 2.7 GHz E5-2680 CPU Dual 300GB HDD and 384GB RAM. - $3900 given the current design spec for this game it probably handle at most 10 connections due to all this AI, mobs, chat system and database overhead. Reducing and elimination of Advanced AI would gain about 15 users per machine (25) giving a 70% total and leaving 30% spare for overloading. Spread out across 40 CPU or 20 units possible covering 2500 max users due to distributed computing at 70% load and leaving peek at around 3500 CCU.

The total cost or hardware is $78,000 and one router $3100, probably set up in your garage with a local commercial connection at $500 a month ($6000 year).

(as will become clear on CCU to users that is about 12,500 users paying you $30 a year which is $375,000 a year. not to bad really. It can support 8 to 10 developers with part time employment.

Now if we spin this to 200,000 concurrent users the cost is increased is 2000 Blades at $7,800,000 which is not bad but still eats at profits. Now to have 200,000 CCU you generally account for 20% being online at any given time so the total user base for 200,000 CCU is 1,000,000 1 million people pay average $30 dollars a year! woot yes that is $30,000,000 a year clear profit!

NOT!

2000 blades require housing (preferably in a controlled environment usually also in multiple locations) cost of housing the machines can eat at profits each building can cost (just a small shed with electricity and air-condition $30,000 a year excluding buying the land and people selling land near fiber can get REALLY expensive, routers you need one router per 24 machines average cost of a good one starts at $3100 each 24 machines requires another router to tie in the system 2000 machines will cost (88 routers) $272,800 , fiber optic (dirt cheap from ATT which is decided on now far the cables need to go and runs around $20,000 a mile per year (quoted by ATT), A team of engineers at each location (head engineer $100,000 a year and a couple tech (another $100,000 a year) total cost $200,000 a year which is probably shit service given there are 2 locations will be $400,000).

So far our total cost of a system of 1 million users is $8,072,800 initial less building cost just say there is 2 east and west.

$60,000 a year

Stuff breaks down and needs replaced. Buying cheap can get costly replacements and can add to 20% original cost per year.

$1,614,560 a year.

Let's just for sake it cost one mile of fiber per building $40,000.

Leaving out Customer Care, administrative cost and all that which can add up but we can say unknown.

$1,714,560

LOOKS DAMN GOOD!

Well there is this thing call over building infrastructure of course and that is what if the game fails? Initial sales may be skyrocketed into say a million users so you have a lot of hardware. Let's just suppose it was so good you had to double your infrastructure and spent double. The carryover from month to month may be breaking even so new users come in a old one leave.

Suppose you have over built the infrastructure and spent 7.8 million on initial investment expecting 1 million users and low and behold you only get 10,000 who carry over from the first year and maybe 5,000 to 6,000 on the next year and slowly you have to start removal of hardware which gets maybe 10% of initial cost.

BUT you always paint a bright future for your investors well under normal circumstances you have investors but Kickstarter are just collection plates so you can sell off the equipment close it down and walk away. The issues of liable is non-existent.

After careful study of MMO industry and history of the market a wise investor wants to see concrete plans and realistic goals.

Just saying,
    nice fooking try i can get you a single server that can be rented for 700 USD /month that can do about 10000 gamers with a star shitizen style idiot server to client setup

20 of these = 140K a month now if you charge 200,000 people 50 bucks thats 10 million
    1.54 mill /year got 10 gigabits per server ROFL

you'd have enough cash f you took half your 10 mill for 3 years and then some

drop in some cosmetic cash shop crap and if this game is sub only at say 10-15 a month

thats 2 -3 million a month for the 140 K that is requried

QUIT BULLSHITING ITS EXPENSIVE TO RUN A GAME ITS A FOOKIN RIOT TO MAKE MONEY OUT OF THIN AIR IS WHAT IT IS ,AND YOU IDIOTS THINK CHRIS ROBERTS , EA AND SUCH ARE THE ONLY ONES LAUGHING AT YOU ALL, YOUR SELF DELUDED....THERE IS A REASON THE AVG WAGE OF A CODER/ANIMATOR IS 200,000 A YEAR usd

P.S. OH YA and thIs is why when you start up a game they always have tons more servers at start and can adjust they mght get a stable ocntract for say enough to do your 200K-250K and have a rolling contract where they can add or remove some each month as need requires THATIS HOW YOU DO IT PRO ...i know  ran a server company that had 80 clients and half were games i made a pretty penny too after a lot a sleepless nights imaging all the needs of every client that  last ten were push a button installs ....one client even paid me double cause everything i asked i was able to provide.

I do suppose they plan on asking investors to invest so I do suppose you better make a detailed report for them. I am not here to bash it dude.

They need to learn from someone that KNOWS what the investors are going to ask and why the project got dumped and it is not about the game design. Well any way this is example of the way it will be presented to investors then I don't expect success.

ON a different note. I noticed that Soulbound is stating Minecraft as a selling point? Haven't checked into it yet so maybe you can tell me. Is Minecraft a trademark? Is Minecraft a copyright? Did Soulbound sign any kind of agreement to use Minecraft as a selling point? 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:by h
    JustDrake said:

There is an internet name for people like you but I'm not going to use it...
    Snowflake?
    Goons?
    Hey!!
    Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    "We are a group of donors looking to help those players who have shown dedication and passion for Chronicles of Elyria"

Wait... 
    Dont you have to pay for the game to play it?  How can people show dedication and passion for the game without playing it?  Have they had free to play weekends?  How can someone who can not afford to buy the game show dedication and passion?  Are they just going by forum posts?

On another note, while I think it is awesome when gamers help each other out.  I think this might be a bit over the top but then since it looks like the cheapest package is $45, I can understand how some people may not want to drop a AAA-title price for an indie game that is not even released yet.

YashaX
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

This discussion has been closed.