Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hitting 'Em Where It Hurts, EA's Stocks Lose Over $3.1 Billion in a Month - SW Battlefront 2 News

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Dr_Binks said:
    All I can say is WOW,,,,,,, and that's not aimed at EA's loss,,,,, it's at a lot of these comments!!

We all have to remember that Gaming is a industry just like Ford or GMC,,,, and they all have to make money,,,, if they dont they go out of business, people lose their jobs and may be even their homes and more. Yes we want EA to make good games and good game take a lot of time to make which = man hours which costs money.

Also another thing we need to remember is the banking side of this equation. If you have a business and you want to get money from the back for your next project you have to show that you can make a higher % then what you a getting from the back if you cant you dont get the money and we dont get any new games.

And the last thing we want is Uncle Sam getting his big ass into the mid of this with the idea and helping us poor gamers and to protect us from the big bad EA rich guys!!!! Remember it's just like us playing a game that has low return for your time in game,,,,,, you just stop playing and it's no different for the big bad rich guys! If you make it harder and lower the return for effort in the business model the big bad rich guys will just take their money and go.

EA is not the only publisher that has this loot box shit do I like it no but I also know they're just trying to have a cash flow which = other big bad rich guys buying their stock which then goes into EA to help fund their operation which in some ways much like buying loot box in hope have being lucky and something good when you open it!

Its life peeps and it may not be perfect but live with it,,,,, it's a lot better then not having any games to play!!!
    What a horrible view... simply accept all the shit thrown at you and make no effort to change it...   

NO THANK YOU.  As a consumer if I don't like something I say something.  If enough people say something the company notices.   Money speaks and this got EA's attention
    jimmywolfCecropia

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Dr_Binks said:
    All I can say is WOW,,,,,,, and that's not aimed at EA's loss,,,,, it's at a lot of these comments!!

We all have to remember that Gaming is a industry just like Ford or GMC,,,, and they all have to make money,,,, if they dont they go out of business, people lose their jobs and may be even their homes and more. Yes we want EA to make good games and good game take a lot of time to make which = man hours which costs money.

Also another thing we need to remember is the banking side of this equation. If you have a business and you want to get money from the back for your next project you have to show that you can make a higher % then what you a getting from the back if you cant you dont get the money and we dont get any new games.

And the last thing we want is Uncle Sam getting his big ass into the mid of this with the idea and helping us poor gamers and to protect us from the big bad EA rich guys!!!! Remember it's just like us playing a game that has low return for your time in game,,,,,, you just stop playing and it's no different for the big bad rich guys! If you make it harder and lower the return for effort in the business model the big bad rich guys will just take their money and go.

EA is not the only publisher that has this loot box shit do I like it no but I also know they're just trying to have a cash flow which = other big bad rich guys buying their stock which then goes into EA to help fund their operation which in some ways much like buying loot box in hope have being lucky and something good when you open it!

Well honestly that is the life cycle of business. It starts and works well but if they make bad business decisions they can end up failing. It sucks BUT it is life. EA has had a really bad track record for years now. You are right there are others that are doing it and being just as bad but EA also has been the worst of them. 

You are also right that we shouldn't need or want the government getting into gaming and regulating anything gaming BUT they brought this on themselves, I feel no remorse for what they did to themselves.

"Its life peeps and it may not be perfect but live with it,,,,, it's a lot better then not having any games to play!!!"

Hey even though there is poop in your cheerios at least you have SOMETHING to eat!!

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited November 2017
    "While EA's stocks are up 39% over the course of the year, a three billion dollar loss in a single month has got to hurt."

sensationalist "journalism" at it's finest. . .

a 8% dip is hardly making the bigwigs at EA lose any sleep, especially because bigger dips have occurred over past controversies. . .yet the stock always rebounds.
    Gdemami
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited November 2017
    Aaaaaannnd cue Nelson!

The last laugh is that they have brought the worlds attention to loot boxes, likely causing them lose even more money in the years to come :)
    Good job internet!
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Dr_Binks said:

Its life peeps and it may not be perfect but live with it,,,,, it's a lot better then not having any games to play!!!
    This attitude disgusts me. Yes, corporations are here to make money. No, not every means of earning money is acceptable. No, Uncle Sam is not a cartoon villain. It sometimes becomes necessary to call upon the government to ensure worker and consumer protections are preserved against overreaching corporate interests.

If our ancestors carried this hyper conservative attitude, we'd still have child labor, 80 hour workweeks, and pointlessly dangerous working conditions. Fuck it right off.
    jimmywolfGdemami
  • MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    I could care less about the lotto boxes. My issue with the game was a lack of PvP character customization (appearance), hacking, and the servers were crap. I would rubber band so bad in 50% of the games I couldn't move. Aim bots and wall hacks were rampant as well. 

Got a refund and give 0 craps about the game now, sadly.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    sayuu said:
    "While EA's stocks are up 39% over the course of the year, a three billion dollar loss in a single month has got to hurt."

sensationalist "journalism" at it's finest. . .

a 8% dip is hardly making the bigwigs at EA lose any sleep, especially because bigger dips have occurred over past controversies. . .yet the stock always rebounds.
    You think a company worth billions doesn't care about an 8% drop?  I can guarantee that this figure is very well tracked and appears on many peoples' desks on a regular basis.

That being said, I do agree.  I'm guessing that 31% is still beyond expectations and so the 8% will be swept under.  The drop is a relevant topic for discussion but the annual result is still a "job well done".

This is all assuming the trend doesn't continue...
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Dagon13 said:
    Dr_Binks said:

Couldn't agree less...

As consumers it's not our job to worry about the business.  If the business can't make smart enough decisions to get by without skinning their customers then they are only hurting everybody by continuing to operate.  Pretending that there isn't a problem and feeding them revenue will only make the fall that much harder.
    This guy nailed it.  If it takes predatory monetization to float your game, the market doesn't really need your game to begin with.
    Gdemami

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    I'm confused.

EA is not losing money, they are making more money, the loss represents a fraction cut on how much it valued this year alone...

Now being EA public owned, and if I was one investor, I would say whatever they are doing, it's working well for my invested money, used to ups and downs, yet continuing to trend upwards. A rather clickbaity title.
    Gdemami
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    I'm confused.

EA is not losing money, they are making more money, the loss represents a fraction cut on how much it valued this year alone...

Now being EA public owned, and if I was one investor, I would say whatever they are doing, it's working well for my invested money, used to ups and downs, yet continuing to trend upwards. A rather clickbaity title.
    Disagreed Max, the 39% growth over the course of 10 months after the 8% drop means that stockholders lost 20% of the year's profits in a single month due to a single, ultra-avoidable meltdown of a PR fiasco.

I doubt stockholders simply ignored it.
    Gdemami

edited December 2017
    Disagreed Max, the 39% growth over the course of 10 months after the 8% drop means that stockholders lost 20% of the year's profits in a single month due to a single, ultra-avoidable meltdown of a PR fiasco.

They are still making money, just less money, you are worried when you lose money or are close to loose investment, now I'm not going to freak out over a cut on my investment profit. 

This is not that abnormal when there is a PR fiasco any company face losses, but in this case, I only see it bouncing back and recover.

While a situation like this has impacts, the profitability won't be overlooked (the loss wasn't because it isn't effective, quite the opposite), what will be looked on is more of a "how can we lay under the radar", the trick is really continuing to push in the direction they already had but in ways that will prevent another PR problem.
    MaxBacon said:

They are still making money, just less money, you are worried when you lose money or are close to loose investment, now I'm not going to freak out over a cut on my investment profit. 

This is not that abnormal when there is a PR fiasco any company face losses, but in this case, I only see it bouncing back and recover.

While a situation like this has impacts, the profitability won't be overlooked (the loss wasn't because it isn't effective, quite the opposite), what will be looked on is more of a "how can we lay under the radar", the trick is really continuing to push in the direction they already had but in ways that will prevent another PR problem.
    No doubt, but anyone investing in EA stocks isn't looking for a risky bet.  They're looking for solid and consistent returns.  Losing a 5th of the year's returns at once is noticeable.  It isn't throwing anyone into a panic, but it's one of those "hey, what the hell happened here?" moments.
    Gdemami

edited December 2017
    No doubt, but anyone investing in EA stocks isn't looking for a risky bet.  They're looking for solid and consistent returns.  Losing a 5th of the year's returns at once is noticeable.  It isn't throwing anyone into a panic, but it's one of those "hey, what the hell happened here?" moments.
    Sure will cause discussion, but they will never give away profitability just to please gamers (unless there's attractive profitability on that ofc xD). To be seen.

To me, if the big publishers all push in the same direction they will break gamers into "submission" eventually, the same way they did with the Season Passes and so on, you can run but you can't hide. That's why I said before only laws and regulations can shoot down the loot box practice in mainstream gaming.
    MaxBacon said:
    Sure will cause discussion, but they will never give away profitability just to please gamers (unless there's attractive profitability on that ofc xD). To be seen.

To me, if the big publishers all push in the same direction they will break gamers into "submission" eventually, the same way they did with the Season Passes and so on, you can run but you can't hide. That's why I said before only laws and regulations can shoot down the loot box practice in mainstream gaming.
    I've been resisting it myself pretty well, sticking to games like D:OS2 mostly or buying AAAs when they go on sale.  Think I paid 20 bucks for the definitive edition of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

It's a shame that it's heading that way, as it will likely mean a decrease in titles like D:OS2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider..  Something like The Last of Us doesn't fit super well into the games as a service mantra.
    Gdemami

edited December 2017
    Hey but you know what's fun?

When Valve did this around 6 years ago with loot crates, it was a different story with them.

But EA does it, then it's when drama and questions get raised about this practice, everyone hates on EA, hates on Ubisoft, but for some reason, Valve, who popularized this on PC Gaming (and even mobile I'd say!), just lays on the sideline of all this comparing to what just happened.

Why? I've kinda only saw real rage at Valve once and that was paid mods, but the loot crates gamble wasn't one of them, yet their biggest impact in the industry.
    [Deleted User]
    MaxBacon said:

When Valve did this around 6 years ago with loot crates, it was a different story with them.

But EA does it, then it's when drama and questions get raised about this practice, everyone hates on EA, hates on Ubisoft, but for some reason, Valve, who popularized this on PC Gaming (and even mobile I'd say!), just lays on the sideline of all this comparing to what just happened.

Why? I've kinda only saw real rage at Valve once and that was paid mods, but the loot crates gamble wasn't one of them, yet their biggest impact in the industry.
    EA was releasing Star Wars and made the system grossly predatory.  That's where the backlash came in.  I don't buy the "people hate cause it's EA" idea here.

EA was releasing Star Wars and made the system grossly predatory.  That's where the backlash came in.  I don't buy the "people hate cause it's EA" idea here.
    Yeah but you know the huge number of people that got addicted and constantly were poking on TF2/CS Go crates? That's why I see some EA factor to it, at least to fuel the scale this gotten; because if the trigger was the problem of the gamble from the groundup Valve would have been confronted about it back then hm
    edited December 2017
    Torval said:
    MaxBacon said:

Double standards abound with gamers. We forgive anything we love and revile all that we don't.
    Or not.  TF2 weapons were targetted at being sidegrades, not "30% higher turn rate" and "30% rate of fire increase."  That's a significant difference.

CS:GO crates seem to be only reskins of guns contained in the game from what I can tell.

EDIT- for clarity, I should've said TF2 boxes were not just "30% rate of fire increase" without a corresponding detriment, aka sidegrades.

None of that is on the same level at BF2.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Hopefully people take note. EA needs to go away, they've been a cancer for a while. Anthem will probably be next to fall (hopefully).
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Funniest thing in this thread is that people don't understand the stock market and think EA actually lost $3b.  EA lost nothing, only investors.
    Iselin
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Dat math....
    MadFrenchieAeander
    Gdemami said:

Dat math....
    I wasn't attempting to be specific, it was a rough figure to illustrate the point.

Congrats on, once again, contributing nothing.
    Gdemami

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Gdemami said:

Dat math....
    I wasn't attempting to be specific, it was a rough figure to illustrate the point.

Its almost an art form in itself :p
    MadFrenchie
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2017
    Illustrate a point by faulty math and logic....? I am eager to hear more about one's contribution...

/shrugs
    Aeander
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Gdemami said:

Dat math....

seeing as how the YTD stock was at the time 39% up after the 8% dip. . .yeah your "rough" figure of 20% was off by only 19%. . .

seriously, google stuff before you post man. . .simply changing a YTD stock price graph from dollar amount to percent would have given you accurate numbers to base your argument off of without having to do faulty math.
    Gdemami