Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen starts selling land today. Nov. 28 2017

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Enttitlement... lol.

The only entitled people are the ones who want to purchase everything before the game releases. They're the people who don't have time to play anymore but hate the idea of feeling left behind, instead they want their real life income to fix their in game income.

The standard revenue for MMOs since forever was subscriptions, not exploitive cash shops where assets are sold for 10x the cost of the game.
    Entitlement I mean always going on about this day and night about microtransactions in MMO's. It's how they monetize themselves, especially the time vs money factor, either you have the time, either you have the money, that's what drives them.

I'm sure we all wish cash shops were gone forever, or they would just sell visuals and skins, but it's not. In fact, some MMOs subscription models gave more allowance for lighter cash shops but as we clearly see most sub MMOs of past years have failed to maintain it and had to go F2P.

If subs still worked today at a successful level, I would go all for it, but there are mostly examples of the opposite in past years, do what now...
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Thanks, Bill Nye!

He is a real nice person with a great talent to make people understand science.

Have fun
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    rodarin said:
    DKLond said:
    Oh, still the "it's a scam but I have no evidence" claim :)

Let's ignore how it's the most ambitious game of all time with ~325 full time developers. That's obviously very cheap.

There are games with similar budgets that are much less ambitious and with fewer developers.

I guess they scammed their publisher - even though the publisher made all the money ;)
    how much of those budgets included things Roberts hasnt had to spend a dime on?

Or maybe thats how he justified 10K coffee makers 50K murals, a fleet of cars, million dollar doors etc etc etc
    help me understand how someone who is not remotely intrested in SC comes to learn these things about the game? how much digging was involved? and why?
    So, your position is it's OK to frivolously spend crowdfunded money as long as no one effortlessly finds out about it?
    not even remotely close. I dont even understand what your saying in the context of what I said. Did you reply to the wrong person?

I am just facinated that someone would sit for an hour lecture about a game that they hate in the first place...unreasonable?
    A little... yes...

People take entire courses of study on infectious diseases, although I doubt they'd ever like to catch one.  It's natural to want to study something that doesn't quite make sense or appears abnormal... it's part of being human.

You probably share a bit of the fascination some of us have with those who would spend $50 or more on an imaginary plot of land that doesn't even exist in digital form yet.

Spending $50 on a beacon in order to claim digital land (which doesn't exist yet) is the same thing as spending $50 on digital land, by the way.  Anyone telling you otherwise is a self-appointed community shepherd.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Ferengi making this game.
    The first rule of acquisition. Once you have their money, you never give it back.

Rule 299. After you've exploited someone, it never hurts to thank them. That way, it's easier to exploit them next time.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Stand by, news for next year planet purchase's starting at 5k. Become an owner of a planet for a mere 5k, get one now before the price goes up. ;)
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Stand by, news for next year planet purchase's starting at 5k. Become an owner of a planet for a mere 5k, get one now before the price goes up. ;)
    You're probably going to have to spend a little more than that.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited November 2017
    Actually buying ships is RNG.  You never know exactly what type of ship you will end up with.  Stats are all over the place and constantly changing, ship roles can change on a whim.  Concept art, is changed for 3D modeling, then the balance guy makes further changes, then there are redesigns.  In short it's a gamble, no one can predict finale ship design or even a delivery date in some cases, only approximate.  Even loot boxes don't have items with constantly changing stats.

MaxBacon

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited November 2017
    Actually buying ships is RNG.  You never know exactly what type of ship you will end up with.  Stats are all over the place and constantly changing, ship roles can change on a whim.  Concept art, is changed for 3D modeling, then the balance guy makes further changes, then there are redesigned.  In short it's a gamble, no one can predict finale ship design or even a delivery date in some cases, only approximate.  Even loot boxes don't have items with constantly changing stats.
    Okay, now that's.... 

Every online game has to do constant rebalancing of the stats of items, professions, etc... If you think the items that drop in loot boxes are immune that, nope.

The ship types do not change, details will change, they will change now, they will change later, they will surely continue to change after the game is released. In SC and every other MMO I have played.

By this logic... we can say Kickstarter and Steam Early Access are RNG? That buying every game under alpha/beta is RNG?
    Octagon7711
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited November 2017
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:
    Scot said:
    We will have got to the stars by the time they release this game.
    Star Citizen released 56 years ago?  :D
    We reached space.. we're still pretty far from reaching any star.
    An what would "reach a star" consist of actually?

Alpha Centauri would do nicely, but man not robots. So don't worry guys you will get SC by 2077. (My reactionless drive is patent pending) :D
    MaxBacon said:
    Actually buying ships is RNG.  You never know exactly what type of ship you will end up with.  Stats are all over the place and constantly changing, ship roles can change on a whim.  Concept art, is changed for 3D modeling, then the balance guy makes further changes, then there are redesigned.  In short it's a gamble, no one can predict finale ship design or even a delivery date in some cases, only approximate.  Even loot boxes don't have items with constantly changing stats.
    Okay, now that's.... ridiculous. :|

Every online game has to do constant rebalancing of the stats of items, professions, etc... If you think the items that drop in loot boxes are immune that you're in another world.

The ship types do not change, details will change, they will change now, they will change later, they will surely continue to change after the game is released. In SC and every other MMO I have played.

Like seriously  O___o
    Like you mean the way ship stats constantly change in ED, oh wait... they don't. 

Tell you what, name me a space game that makes changes to ships the way CIG does and I won't post for the rest of the day in a SC thread, promise.  :smile:  

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    MaxBacon said:
    Okay, now that's.... 

Every online game has to do constant rebalancing of the stats of items, professions, etc... If you think the items that drop in loot boxes are immune that, nope.

By this logic... we can say Kickstarter and Steam Early Access are RNG? That buying every game under alpha/beta is RNG?

Life is RNG. :D
    Octagon7711MaxBacon
    Like you mean the way ship stats constantly change in ED, oh wait... they don't. 

Tell you what, name me a space game that makes changes to ships the way CIG does and I won't post for the rest of the day in a SC thread, promise.  :smile:  
    Because they already rebalanced, they still do minor changes but they are not the stats of ED's Alpha that you can bet. Paid or not the nature of the game is just that, balancing is one of the last things you do some of it as you develop but the big balancing passes will come late in dev.

Games under development do that like SC does, what might include refactoring, released games do often do smaller changes in stats.

In SC even the refactors the ships are still around the same stats, we see them getting bigger most times and if you notice it, it's heavily driven by the feedback of the owners of said ship in the forums.
    MaxBacon said:

Because they already rebalanced, they still do minor changes but they are not the stats of ED's Alpha that you can bet. Paid or not the nature of the game is just that, balancing is one of the last things you do some of it as you develop but the big balancing passes will come late in dev.

Games under development do that like SC does, what might include refactoring, released games do often do smaller changes in stats.

In SC even the refactors the ships are still around the same stats, we see them getting bigger most times and if you notice it, it's heavily driven by the feedback of the owners of said ship in the forums.
    OK.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:
    its like watching a car crash you dont want to look but you have to. Call it a morbid curiosity. Plus I want all these things on the record so when it crashes and burns there will be plenty to say.

I mean it was ridiculous 3 years ago now its exponentially MORE ridiculous. And watching these guys continually defend it is awesome.

I also love looking and the nonsense they said just a year or so ago and how far removed from reality it is is and how they continually change their timeline again and again and yet still say 'theyre developing the most ambitious game ever'. 

If you go back 3 years and read some of the stuff people thought would be playable now and its just sad. Yet they still dont care.
    Like when it was said thay CIG would collapse back in 2015? Or was it 2016? Maybe 2017... Still a bit to 2018.

No one including these guys expected to see the type of money they have seen.

But if you think this whole thing wouldnt have folded years ago had they not collected more than 30-40 million (which was a pipe dream when they started) youre dreaming.

What did they say they could build all 3 games for when they started? 25 million I think. How is that working out? Yeah I know I know the 'scope' changed. Hers is something how about FINISH what you start THEN expand the 'scope'.

But they found out all too soon they didnt have to deliver anything, maybe a different version of a bugged alpha every year or so to keep collecting 35-40 mil a tear.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited November 2017
    rodarin said:
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:
    its like watching a car crash you dont want to look but you have to. Call it a morbid curiosity. Plus I want all these things on the record so when it crashes and burns there will be plenty to say.

I mean it was ridiculous 3 years ago now its exponentially MORE ridiculous. And watching these guys continually defend it is awesome.

I also love looking and the nonsense they said just a year or so ago and how far removed from reality it is is and how they continually change their timeline again and again and yet still say 'theyre developing the most ambitious game ever'. 

If you go back 3 years and read some of the stuff people thought would be playable now and its just sad. Yet they still dont care.
    Like when it was said thay CIG would collapse back in 2015? Or was it 2016? Maybe 2017... Still a bit to 2018.

No one including these guys expected to see the type of money they have seen.

But if you think this whole thing wouldnt have folded years ago had they not collected more than 30-40 million (which was a pipe dream when they started) youre dreaming.

What did they say they could build all 3 games for when they started? 25 million I think. How is that working out? Yeah I know I know the 'scope' changed. Hers is something how about FINISH what you start THEN expand the 'scope'.

But they found out all too soon they didnt have to deliver anything, maybe a different version of a bugged alpha every year or so to keep collecting 35-40 mil a tear.
    Nop, wrong again. CIG simply followed the enthusiasm of the community engagement and respected their will to make an all encompassing ambitious space game that pushed not only the space genre but the PC Gaming scene in general.

Releasing a rushed bare bones "framework" that would undermine all their future aspirations just to release "on time" of a estimated date would be a very very stupid move. Most of the games that do that end up releasing stillborn's or becoming a shadow of their promised potential and slowly decaying into a spiral of low content update aka maintenance mode before going into Free2Play model and making enough from the few niche hard core followers who feed them.

CIG visionary ambition and the love and care for the game they are making and it's community has had the money rolling in in abundance for years now. Thanks to their hard work and constant iteration and improvements on the released builds as instilled trust in old backers and catered to new ones. That has allowed to do work freely and think bigger, better and broader into the game's future iterations.

This allows for proper iteration of tech and proper game mechanics that work and interact as whole instead of a group of disjointed "half-baked" features that feel more like clutches than proper iteration.

That's why they have been developing the game from the ground up thinking about the player as living avatar in a online universe without any limits to where can it go or what can interact and not a vehicle or a pour lonely soul without options.

If you want to play rushed and bare bone space games with repetitive and unengaging gameplay there's a couple in the market already.

Check out the Steam Space Game top sellers: http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Space/#p=0&tab=TopSellers

You might find something you like and get to play and "have fun" instead of wasting time trying to predict the next Star Citizen's collapse lol

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited November 2017
    LMAO keep the spin alive. I want to see all these so called 'backers' I imagine the ones that were around then that voted for this have all gotten refunds and have ejected out of this fiasco.

I am sure there is some truth to it but I am also sure the spin gets put into over drive as to how much they were willing to endure.

In the end this is a glorified tech demo, no persistence to speak of nothing to do but (now) ride around empty planets on the cool new dune buggy or whatever it is.  How long before that gets old...oh it already has? OK.

Theyre timing it right theyre getting it out for the anniversary sale it will be boring by the time the 'Holiday' presentations hit but they will release it to the 'live' servers and cash in again. Then by middle of January everyone will be saying 'thats it?' and they will be looking for the next version which if the regular scheduling holds true will be sometime in Nov of next year. Even though 3.0 was supposed to be 'the game'.

Oh and nothing can collapse that hasnt been built yet.
    It was nice of them to put early testing behind a pay wall.  Just pay $10 a month and you too can play 3.0 today.  It's meant for testing but you do get to see the latest and greatest before the none subscribing masses.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Erillion said:
    This is absolutely retarded. What a freaking money grab. 
    Or you read their disclaimer:

"Please Note: These claim licenses are being made available for pledging to help fund Star Citizen’s development. The ability to obtain these claim licenses will ultimately be available for in-game credits and/or otherwise earnable through play in the game. Pledging for these claim licenses now allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen game, and is not required for starting the game."

Absolutely no one forces anyone to get such a claim NOW unless the person wants to support the project that way.

Have fun
    Still doesn't change the fact its a money grab and ridiculous.  They are milking this development for every penny.  AAA style. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
    edited November 2017
    rodarin said:
    ~zip~
    Oh and nothing can collapse that hasnt been built yet.
    Well I dunno about that, you've been pretty adamant about building negative spins about anything Star Citizen for a while. All of them seem to be collapsing in due time too.

I'm sure 2018 will be better though. :D
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Ships aren't p2w, since you can buy them with in game currency later on.
    Land isn't p2w, since you can buy it with in game currency later on.

Might as well add "Gear isn't p2w, since you can buy it with in game currency later on." So that those who threw money at the game can be completely pimped out from the start, while scrubs have to farm for a year ;)
    Scot

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited November 2017
    It was nice of them to put early testing behind a pay wall.  Just pay $10 a month and you too can play 3.0 today.  It's meant for testing but you do get to see the latest and greatest before the none subscribing masses.
    Hey they sell concept ships, they sell land, they sell end-game ships, they lie about limited features, they lie about release dates, charge for early testing but at least they aren't as bad as EA. Right?

..Cake..

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This is comedy gold :smiley:
    TacticalZombeh
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    The whole "whales will rule" argument is a bad joke. I mean, like all other MMOs out there - the bigger guilds/clans/corps WILL rule in certain ways - because they're big and powerful. That won't change in Star Citizen.

However, what WILL change in Star Citizen is that everyone can "rule" in their own way - and carve out their own path - without having to grind endlessly, because it's content-driven and allows for a ridiculous amount of roles.

Paying for something before the game starts changes absolutely nothing here. You still need a big corporation to rule anything - and anyone can join a big corporation.

That said, it's always fun to see ignorant detractors convince themselves of their own fantasies - based on almost zero actual knowledge. I'd be shocked if 1 in 10 even bothered to read the Q&A in this case.

Amusing :)
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    oh oh oh let me grab my wallet. when does this game launch?
    sgel said:
    Hey they sell concept ships, they sell land, they sell end-game ships, they lie about limited features, they lie about release dates, charge for early testing but at least they aren't as bad as EA. Right?

Well if EA was any good you and the rest would be playing in the online living breathing Star Wars universe with friends and foes.

Considering EA's Battlefront gameplay options I understand that you get more fun concerning about Star Citizen in forums lol
    Moxom914