Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie's Mea Culpa & a Promise to Keep Communication Lines Open - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBungie's Mea Culpa & a Promise to Keep Communication Lines Open - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

Destiny 2 News - Rather than run a Destiny 2 live stream today, Bungie opted to post a detailed blog to provide players with insight into its lack of transparency over the recently discovered XP mechanic. Over the course of the last week, players have been loudly castigating Bungie for what it felt was a way to unfairly treat high end players. "Our intention was to keep slower-paced activities as rewarding as high intensity grinding without confusing variations in displayed XP values", Bungie wrote.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Short version:
    Too many of you are leaving and wont buy our DLC, you caught us, we were greedy B-tards! Now we are in full damage control mode.
    forcelimaAlomarEponyxDamorThupliDarkagesLeFantomeSamhaelOctagon7711Grunt350Scarranand 8 others.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    i thought the big problem is no endgame... and how should people make friends, when its so antisocial...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    "...confusing variations in displayed XP..."

Translation: we're intelligent grownups and you're dumb kids. The truth can confuse you, it's why we lie.
    AlomarThupliMagikarpsGhostJeroKane
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited November 2017

"confusing variations in displayed XP values"... as opposed to the perfect clarity that is displaying blatantly incorrect values?

And I suppose it never occurred to them to display +2500XP (50%) to let the player know that they had only earned 50% of the 'normal' XP for the activity.... Or to advertise in-game that certain activities currently had an XP bonus?

No, no, far better that players get burnt out on the grind (that they think they are earning reasonable XP from) and remain ignorant of the ways they could maximise their XP / Hour, driving them to the cash shop instead.

As for the improvements, I guess time will tell, but at this point it is very much 'wait for the D2:TTK edition'... assuming it ever happens.

Thupli
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Is that an apology for lying? Just...wow...
    NordicApache
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    Only today's gamer will complain about something, then complain about the way it is fixed, then complain about the fixes. Seriously these days I get the feeling alot of people just don't feel alive unless they are tearing into another human being. Not saying there is nothing wrong with D2. Just that the days of constructive criticism and polite discourse died long ago and were replaced with hate and wishes of ill will. If the human race is being monitored by other intelligence I certainly hope they aren't gauging us on our Internet presence.
    [Deleted User]CellandineOctagon7711IselinBillMurphyCazrielVezlinMagikarpsGhostinfomatzSBFordand 3 others.

Warzod said:

Only today's gamer will complain about something, then complain about the way it is fixed, then complain about the fixes. Seriously these days I get the feeling alot of people just don't feel alive unless they are tearing into another human being. Not saying there is nothing wrong with D2. Just that the days of constructive criticism and polite discourse died long ago and were replaced with hate and wishes of ill will. If the human race is being monitored by other intelligence I certainly hope they aren't gauging us on our Internet presence.

Well you be sure to thank the guy who steals your wallet and wish him a happy afternoon as he walks off to spend your money.

I dont think you understand just what these guys did, not only did they throttle the XP to levels as low as 10% but they sold XP boosts to people knowing that many of them would be used to only gain a measly 5% boost and not the 50% boost advertised.

I'm sure you are happy that they came out and said, "hey, we are going to communicate better". Notice they didnt say people who bought XP boosts would get refunds or at least a free boost to replace the ones they wasted when they were throttled. Not once did they admit any wrong doing or unethical business practices. Just some "we want people to come back and have fun" which translated into business speak means: "dont leave us or we wont get any more of your money".
    IselinNordicApacheAyinjgDuffayThupli
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2017

Warzod said:

Yes, you are, and yes we do.
    Earth must prepare for close encounter with aliens say
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Warzod said:
    Meh, it's what happens when developers hit a series of "we dun goofd" scenarios where they're caught acting in a deceptive and/or predatory manner.

In many cases, I would agree with you that internet folks go overboard.  Death threats, vulgar insults, racist name-calling, etc..  But in this instance, Bungie is enjoying the blunt end of a frustration that's been building among gamers due to the behavior of not only themselves, but their peers in the industry.

It didn't help that they doubled the XP required to earn the engrams before fixing the API to show accurate XP gains.  That's tone deaf as fuck, and they deserve to lose the last shred of goodwill if they can't muster any more intelligence or situational awareness than that.

They can earn it back among the folks, but if they just pay lip service, that frustration will remain just under the surface of their audience's skin, and it will lash out every time a pereceived wrong occurs, truth or not be damned.  But, again, they have no one to thank but themselves for creating a deceptive system, utilizing it to leverage folks into the cash shop, then making an ignorant change to the XP requirements in general before even fixing the issue they were called out on.
    IselinAyinGeevesAvarix

• NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    PR Bullshit imo. Bungie consistently ignored and resented the Destiny 1 community, and here people are AGAIN with Destiny 2, surprised? Ha!
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    edited November 2017

Talonsin said:

Warzod said:

Well you be sure to thank the guy who steals your wallet and wish him a happy afternoon as he walks off to spend your money.

I dont think you understand just what these guys did, not only did they throttle the XP to levels as low as 10% but they sold XP boosts to people knowing that many of them would be used to only gain a measly 5% boost and not the 50% boost advertised.

I'm sure you are happy that they came out and said, "hey, we are going to communicate better". Notice they didnt say people who bought XP boosts would get refunds or at least a free boost to replace the ones they wasted when they were throttled. Not once did they admit any wrong doing or unethical business practices. Just some "we want people to come back and have fun" which translated into business speak means: "dont leave us or we wont get any more of your money".

Why do we care about xp boosts? I have 3 min/maxed characters and I've never spent any time grinding "experience" in destiny 2. Do people actually care that much about getting a shitty bright engram slightly faster? I get your complaints about deceptive marketing or whatever, but really? Out of all the shit wrong with destiny 2, you're this passionate about fucking xp boosts?
    SBFordAyinjgDuffay[Deleted User]
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited November 2017
    Can't fix a hunter item bug that's been in the game since beta that lowers their effectiveness in both PvE and PvP.

Can immediately change an EXP system after word gets out that they're screwing people over.

Bungie 101.

I regret ever buying this game. And oh look, now there's a free trial after they got everybody's money.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Warzod said:

Their fix is to remove the XP modifier and now make it take twice as long to level up instead.

Nice for the more casual players among us who don't have much time to play every day now have to grind twice as long to level up!

Yup! Excellent fix by Bungie! Tumbs up!
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I think the xp is just FUBAR and is going to stay that way for a while. I did enjoy things in the blog and interested in trying them.

The main problem for me is that for a looter shooter that the looting is becoming less because so much is going to have little RNG. That means I don't need to play as long. It seems that is what the majority wants but lessens my desire to play. I know I got frustrated in D3 trying to get certain items but I had fun most times farming and could take a break then go back at it again. Destiny 2 though seems to be going towards a system that one can almost plan how many hours it will take to get what is wanted.

I will play. I will see how things happen. I just feel this game feels lightweight and very confused on what it wants to do. Them wanting to help people who want to make the game their hobby and making it possible to acquire everything more easily seems conflicting as doesn't that just make the game boring?
    Jonnyp2 said:

Talonsin said:

Why do we care about xp boosts? I have 3 min/maxed characters and I've never spent any time grinding "experience" in destiny 2. Do people actually care that much about getting a shitty bright engram slightly faster? I get your complaints about deceptive marketing or whatever, but really? Out of all the shit wrong with destiny 2, you're this passionate about fucking xp boosts?
    Its not necessarily about the boosts but the fact they continued to sell them knowing that people who grind and want XP faster would be the ones buying them and they would not be getting the benefit advertised.  I am this passionate about any kind of false advertising or deceitful practices of the games industry. 

I am sorry you are ok with this kind of thing. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited November 2017
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Yes Torval, it certainly is just ghastly that players would prefer the UI accurately record the amount of XP earned in-game for activities.

Nevermind that Bungie consciously decided to use the misleading system for no good reason.  Fuck all that, you have a bone to pick with some posters here, so all guns fire!    :D
    Iselin

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Bungie hasn't made a good game since Myth.
    Torval said:

You're facts are off a bit. XP boosts were applied after and outside of adjustments. So they always got the buff. That applied to the well rested buff as well. It was and still is the easiest buff to test because you get it for the first three levels ever week.

You sure about that?  Most XP boost buffs I have seen just take the earned XP at that moment and give the buff based on that so if you buy a 10% boost and kill something that normally gives 100 xp you typically see the 100xp followed by a 10xp. 

As a coder, it makes sense to just apply the boost to incoming XP.  Something like "XP earned = XP * .10".  I can not imagine trying to code a boost based on pre throttled XP, you would have to add code that said ignore the throttled code when applying boost and that just seems like a rather unnatural thing.

Do you have a source for this boost applied before throttling thing?