Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A simple question

WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
MMORPG has been my goto site for gaming info for about five years. I still check in almost everyday.  But I am starting to wonder if I ought to be looking at other sites too.

So I am looking for recommendations for decent review sites.  My dream site would focus on PC games, I am not at all interested in console or Mobile games, heavy emphasis on MMOs, and good neutral reviews. Anything come to mind.

And NO before you start I am not trashing MMORPG, just looking for some variety.

Comments

• HunctucavetoHunctucaveto Member UncommonPosts: 20
    What about PC Gamer?
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    edited September 2017
    I believe PC Gamer requires a Paid subscription for game keys. But thanks for the suggestion.
  • AUNE2018AUNE2018 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Gamefaqs?
  • xLoveless1102xLoveless1102 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    AUNE2018 said:
    Gamefaqs?
    Hmm! Will actually work if the game is quite famous. :) But yeah, they have features for Game Reviews. 

@Wylf I'm interested to see your game reviews. May I know which game are you focusing into now? :)
    Never give up ~
  • flowingtimeflowingtime Member CommonPosts: 4
    HELP ME PLEASE
  • MavericknotGooseMavericknotGoose Member CommonPosts: 3
    Maybe gamesradar.com or battlecenter.com ?
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Wylf said:
    MMORPG has been my goto site for gaming info for about five years. I still check in almost everyday.  But I am starting to wonder if I ought to be looking at other sites too.

So I am looking for recommendations for decent review sites.  My dream site would focus on PC games, I am not at all interested in console or Mobile games, heavy emphasis on MMOs, and good neutral reviews. Anything come to mind.

And NO before you start I am not trashing MMORPG, just looking for some variety.
    There are no good review sites. 

The economics of providing reviews has resulted in a situation where we do not get good reviews (by good, I mean accurate and honest). Most review sites even openly admit it. The issue they have is that if they provide honest, accurate reviews then they get cut off by publishers and developers. That means an end to advance copies, an end to interviews, an end to invites to studios. 

The way they get around this is by providing accurate information (they will present facts), but inaccurate / biased reviews with dishonest scores. I can't remember when it was, possibly 2016, but PC Gamer was getting a lot of shit for their reviews so they published their scoring criteria. It basically said that 90% of games would get a score of 70-80 / 100, and they'd have to be exceptionally bad to be under 70 and exceptionally good for above 80. How can you be a credible reviewer if basically everything gets the same score?!

The situation is then exacerbated by competition between review sites. Publishers routinely cut off people/companies/sites that consistently score the lowest for their games, so it is in your interest to score a game higher than your competitors in the hopes that your competitor gets cut off. 

So, with that in mind, it is still worth reading lots of sites because you can get accurate information, but always disregard the reviews themselves. 

I personally visit:
    MMORPG.com
    Massively OP
    PC Gamer

Between these three I get enough information to make informed decisions and keep up to date with the main things I'm interested in. I've tried plenty of other websites across the years but I'm often put off by shitty website design. I also found that too many sites are just re-posting information and not actually spending time discussing the information or framing it for visitors. I don't approve of that style of lazy journalism!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    None of them really. I dont even use MMORPG for game reviews.

Rock Paper Shotgun is about the only one, Gamasutra but that is more about developer news.

I would instead dig on steam, find some youtube channels.

Gamespot is horrid
    Polygon is a friggin joke
    PC Gamer just makes PC gamers want to be console gamers.

its disgusting

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Ankit2345Ankit2345 Member CommonPosts: 1
    hey there, what's your view about best online multiplayer game pub G or Clash of clans. As online gaming is best in my view