Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Hawaii's Chris Lee - 'Together We Can Stop Predatory Gaming Practices'

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Hawaii's Chris Lee - 'Together We Can Stop Predatory Gaming Practices'

MMORPG.com is the leading destination for MMORPG games, news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Oysterstew

Comments

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    He can go fuck himself

This movement was initiated by players, who got sick of these practices, now it's gonna get recuperated by politics for their elections, FUCK THEM, he should have cared about it earlier, he is a piece of shit
    IselinAeanderYashaXRich84RexKushmanLurianarFlyByKnightTenohiraConstantineMerusinfomatzand 2 others.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @Scellow Excessive profanity aside, this wasn't a huge issue for 99% of gamers until about 2 weeks ago with Star Wars: Battlefront 2.  Better now, than never. :|
    MrMelGibsonAsm0deusAeanderOysterstewVezlinLurianarinfomatzCoolitScotMabushiiand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    It's been an issue with me since it started :)

I'm just happy to see others jumping on board... no matter how late.

GeezerGamerAsm0deusAzothYashaXCecropiaVezlinLurianarinfomatzScotCryolitycaland 1 other.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LenoxLenox Member UncommonPosts: 100
    why are they reposting 5 days old news?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Scellow said:

He can go fuck himself

This movement was initiated by players, who got sick of these practices, now it's gonna get recuperated by politics for their elections, FUCK THEM, he should have cared about it earlier, he is a piece of shit

Could be he's a gamer who is just as pissed over this as anyone else. Who are you to say he can't use his platform to make a statement? No one said he was posturing for votes.
    SovrathSBFordCrazKanukMrMelGibsonYashaXVezlinLurianarTenohirainfomatzGdemamiand 2 others.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

Tiller said:

Scellow said:

He can go fuck himself

Could be he's a gamer who is just as pissed over this as anyone else. Who are you to say he can't use his platform to make a statement? No one said he was posturing for votes.

He started press conference without even starting to work on what could be done

It is just PR for his future elections, stop be blind and ignorent, these peoples won't help

Only your wallet can make a difference, and this EA drama is the proof

If you wait for politics, see you in 45454523454054 years for results
    YashaXFlyByKnight
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Scellow said:
    He can go fuck himself

Oh, so angry with the world ...

What do you care? The more people who fight for a cause that you believe in the better.

ForgrimmTillerSBFordCrazKanukMrMelGibsondonpadrexAzothYashaXVezlininfomatzand 1 other.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    the fact that loot boxes has been prevalent in the mainstream news for the last couple of cycles is just a big coincidence. . .
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I think if EA had kept it at just cosmetic items on the Micro transaction side it would not be an issue .. but they made it PTW. I think selling anything in game that could give an edge for real money is 100% wrong. I really wanted to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 but not with the idea that someone can buy more damage in a game.
    What is next, pay 10,000 USD and get GOD MODE enabled?
    RexKushman
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I think if EA had kept it at just cosmetic items on the Micro transaction side it would not be an issue .. but they made it PTW. I think selling anything in game that could give an edge for real money is 100% wrong. I really wanted to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 but not with the idea that someone can buy more damage in a game.
    What is next, pay 10,000 USD and get GOD MODE enabled?
    radical new ground here from a legal standpoint.

RNG for digital cosmetics? fine
    RNG for a digital competitive advantage? illegal.

BruceYeeadamlotus75

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Given the location, this is likely just more Prog virtue signaling. This politician will ride the issue while its hot, and drop it once they have milked it for all its worth.

Given the vast money (hence power) behind many of these companies, unless some well connected national level politicians (back in Mordor on the Potomac) get involved, this isn't going anywhere.

But we *are* heading into the mid term election season. Especially given the "for the Chil-de-ren" angle, that plays well to certain demographics... We will have to see how this all works out.
    zimikeBruceYee
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Tiller said:

Scellow said:

He can go fuck himself

No one? ^^ He is a politician. That in and of itself should be MORE than enough grounds to suspect his motivations. Those who claim otherwise haven't been paying attention for a very, VERY long time. Or perhaps they are still waiting for that "Hope and Change" thing?.... ^^
    zimikeAlomarRexKushman
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Isn't Hawaii ground zero for the meth and opioied epidemic in this country? Shouldn't he be doing more about that?
    zimikeAlomarWraithone
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

Scellow said:

He can go fuck himself

I agree all these politicos are not just hitching their wagons to it because it's political freebies.
    zimike
  • RedecRedec Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Simple. Nope. Do not invite the man into your life any more than you have to. Players can take care of this problem w/o government intervention.
    XingbairongAlomarOysterstewRexKushman
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I'm glad some folks in politics are getting involved! Please keep it up, not everything is about profit, ita also about a healthy society.
    RexKushmanWraithone
  • RedecRedec Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I am astonished by the amount of people that want their government to babysit them. You are not required to purchase anything in a game. Be a grown up and don't buy shit you cannot afford or think is unfairly priced. It's pretty simple.
    XingbairongScellowgenclaymoreOysterstewRexKushmanWraithoneinfomatzDistopia
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Wraithone said:

Tiller said:

Scellow said:

He can go fuck himself

No one? ^^ He is a politician. That in and of itself should be MORE than enough grounds to suspect his motivations. Those who claim otherwise haven't been paying attention for a very, VERY long time. Or perhaps they are still waiting for that "Hope and Change" thing?.... ^^
    I strongl suspect if he was fighting "against" players interest there would be bitching and moaning and complaining over the "so what it's a tempest in a teapot".

So again, it's a net positive to have anyone and everyone on your side.
    SBFordThupli
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I guess the way I look at is that political involvement is good if it brings attention to the issue and grabs parents by the nose and forces them to look at their kids' spending habits. The so-called iGen is most vulnerable to this stuff since they've grown up thinking microtransactions are the "norm" and think it's "cool" to purchase loot boxes without thinking of long term repercussions.

I'm as skeptical as the next person about politicians. But in this case? I think it's a good thing.
    SovrathMrMelGibsonVezlinRexKushmanThupliinfomatzScotAvarix

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    I don't care who says what tbh, if it can be heard more by people, i'm happy. If there is an opportunity, no matter how small, for the better? Just go with it, as I doubt another chance like this will come again.  

Just my thoughts 

SBFordMrMelGibsonVezlin
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    We have two choices.

Let the government regulate micro-transactions
    Let the gaming industry regulate micro-transactions

The government wants to exploit for taxation and control.
    The gaming industry wants to exploit for pure profit.

which is better?

PFFT!
    Grym
    We have two choices.

which is better?

PFFT!
    there is a 3rd choice.

Not buy games that are not enjoyable
    zimikegenclaymoreesc-joconnoradamlotus75Wraithoneinfomatz

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    We have two choices.

which is better?

PFFT!
    there is a 3rd choice.

In one sense, yes, but that's just opting out of the picture, it doesn't change anything for everyone else unless everyone does it. But that's not going to happen.

I didn't buy BFII. Not going to either. It changes nothing for the industry.
    edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    We have two choices.

which is better?

PFFT!
    there is a 3rd choice.

In one sense, yes, but that's just opting out of the picture, it doesn't change anything for everyone else unless everyone does it. But that's not going to happen.
    then it turns into dictating to others to make the same choices as you.

personally I think 'gambling for a possible digital advantage over others instead of for decorative items' is flying to close to the sun.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Whatever his motives (and he claims to be a gamer himself) this will bring more exposure and wider discussion about something that gaming industry execs don't want exposed nor discussed widely... net positive.
    SBFordSovrathMrMelGibsonVezlinThupliAvarixMabushii
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED