Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Announced by Beamdog - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited November 2017
    blamo2000 said:
    I hate to be the party pooper but I fail to see how the feature list warrants a purchase from people who own the diamond edition already.  There are mods that do everything listed.  There currently are persistent worlds going on with NWN and even more with NWN2.  No amount of graphic presets are going to make this game look better than NWN2.  

I don't get it.  If it were I free mod that consolidated the PRC and some UI and graphic mods I guess it would save a little time if I felt like playing it again, but other than that I just don't see anything that jumps out and screams "This is worth money!"
    The EE edition is coming with the last 3 premium modules not in the Diamond edition and which you can't get legally anymore (people hack the authentication to play them currently). No mods add resolutions not supported by the game and the resolutions supported are very 2003 too.
    Post edited by azarhal on
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited November 2017
    The original runs perfectly  fine for me, so I see no reason to waste 20 dollars tbh.
    SBFordCaffynated
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited November 2017
    blamo2000 said:
    I don't dislike Beamdog for it.  I applaud them for finding a simple and easy way to make money off of people in a way that is slightly less dubious but clearly far more legal way than Enron and Madoff.  Kudos to them. 
    Yep, I don't have any problems with EEs either, since I'm all about options, and if it has a market, good for them.

What I don't like is the takeaway of said options, just for the sake of their wallets. I can only hope it won't end up like with the other games, since it was great to see in the thread that people still play NWN and NWN2 (cheers @coretex666 )
    If you look back what happened after every EE release - they removed the option to buy the old one. I even had a friendly quarrel over it with gog.com, since they're (heck, it's in the name too) good old games, so it's a bit weird that you can't buy any old game which Beamdog wants to sell as EE... The only original left is Icewind Dale 2, simply because that doesn't have an EE version yet.

In short, good news and all, buy it, play it, have fun with it, etc. - I just hope it won't mean NWN suddenly disappearing from the stores like the previous games did.

edit: btw gog has its black friday event atm, but neither D&D packs are on the sale, just Might&Magic (rpgs and Heroes both) and Ultima.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    SBFord said:
    * SQUEEEEEEEEES * I can't wait! And persistent worlds...and small group campaigns and and and.... * gets a case of the vapors *
    Question for anyone.  Is this expanded edition based off of NWN1 or NWN2?  I don't remember precisely, but I thought that modules for the two weren't compatible.

This should be good, if it isn't cost prohibitive (for me, anyway).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    This is fantastic news

Chamber of Chains
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Po_gg said:
    blamo2000 said:
    I don't dislike Beamdog for it.  I applaud them for finding a simple and easy way to make money off of people in a way that is slightly less dubious but clearly far more legal way than Enron and Madoff.  Kudos to them. 
    Yep, I don't have any problems with EEs either, since I'm all about options, and if it has a market, good for them.

What I don't like is the takeaway of said options, just for the sake of their wallets. I can only hope it won't end up like with the other games, since it was great to see in the thread that people still play NWN and NWN2 (cheers @coretex666 )
    If you look back what happened after every EE release - they removed the option to buy the old one. I even had a friendly quarrel over it with gog.com, since they're (heck, it's in the name too) good old games, so it's a bit weird that you can't buy any old game which Beamdog wants to sell as EE... The only original left is Icewind Dale 2, simply because that doesn't have an EE version yet.
    The original IE games versions are bundled with their respective EE versions on GOG. You can still buy them, it's just in a bundle now.
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Sovrath said:

I thought the original sucked compared to the Infinity Engine predecessors. You could only play one character and take on retainers, which you had no direct control over. That's a recipe for suck city right there when you're used to controlling your entire party. Thankfully, Neverwinter Nights 2 fixed those problems and was a far better game as a result.

I'll have to agree with Gorwe on that. I don't want to control a party. Ever. Even though I could do that in the Dragon Age games, I never did. Just set them up and tweaked them if I had to (which I hated).

For me, Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind were seminal games for me as they solidified what I wanted in a role playing game.

I played Neverwinter Nights for 2 and a half years. Still play Morrowind to this day.

A few months ago I did Hordes of the Underdark.

I'll be curious to see what this turns out to be. I'm also secretly hoping that we get more party games where I don't have to control the party.
    I remember looking forward to it for years but being largely disappointed by it when I finally played it.  Aside from no party control, the limited camera angles were also a bit annoying; another problem fixed by Neverwinter Nights 2.  Singleplayer campaign?  Not very good.  And again, the second game addressed that problem.

Having said that, it's clear that a lot of people had a lot more fun with it than I did, so kudos to everyone who's looking forward to revisiting it.
    A friend of mine (who really only plays Elder Scrolls Games at this point) was playing Dungeon Siege when it came out. He loved it. I then suggested Neverwinter Nights and he just didn't like it. At first I thought they were similar but I think maybe Neverwinter Nights was too story focused for him.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

I thought the original sucked compared to the Infinity Engine predecessors. You could only play one character and take on retainers, which you had no direct control over. That's a recipe for suck city right there when you're used to controlling your entire party. Thankfully, Neverwinter Nights 2 fixed those problems and was a far better game as a result.

I'll have to agree with Gorwe on that. I don't want to control a party. Ever. Even though I could do that in the Dragon Age games, I never did. Just set them up and tweaked them if I had to (which I hated).

For me, Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind were seminal games for me as they solidified what I wanted in a role playing game.

I played Neverwinter Nights for 2 and a half years. Still play Morrowind to this day.

I'll be curious to see what this turns out to be. I'm also secretly hoping that we get more party games where I don't have to control the party.
    I remember looking forward to it for years but being largely disappointed by it when I finally played it.  Aside from no party control, the limited camera angles were also a bit annoying; another problem fixed by Neverwinter Nights 2.  Singleplayer campaign?  Not very good.  And again, the second game addressed that problem.

Having said that, it's clear that a lot of people had a lot more fun with it than I did, so kudos to everyone who's looking forward to revisiting it.
    A friend of mine (who really only plays Elder Scrolls Games at this point) was playing Dungeon Siege when it came out. He loved it. I then suggested Neverwinter Nights and he just didn't like it. At first I thought they were similar but I think maybe Neverwinter Nights was too story focused for him.
    I'd say Dungeon Siege has more in common with a Diablo style aRPG than a cRPG. Dungeon Siege 2 went a bit more into classic role playing though with choices and consequences. Still more aRPG though. 
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I wonder if I still have my original disks and if so, which box did I put them in? Life before Steam was so complicated... 
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

I'd say Dungeon Siege has more in common with a Diablo style aRPG than a cRPG. Dungeon Siege 2 went a bit more into classic role playing though with choices and consequences. Still more aRPG though. 
    Interesting as my buddy loved Diablo and Diablo 2. It's all coming together!

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited November 2017

azarhal said:

The EE edition is coming with the last 3 premium modules not in the Diamond edition and which you can't get legally anymore (people hack the authentication to play them currently).

No mods add resolutions not supported by the game and the resolutions supported are very 2003 too.

Yes! At this time, the following additional items are available for purchase.
    Premium Modules
    Pirates of the Sword Coast
    Infinite Dungeons
    Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

They are only coming free for the digital deluxe version, and have to be bought as separate purchases for non-deluxe versions. This si straight from the NWN EE FAQ https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#04

So far this EE does nothing. Anyone claiming they are adding higher resolution textures are reading from something I don't see. Beamdog is phoning this on. Look at the features of BG EE compared to this. It literally does nothing besides have UI scale for 4k. Anyone who states there are no UI mods that work with1920x1080 hasn't done a simple search for it since 2003 or so.
    blamo2000 said:

azarhal said:

The EE edition is coming with the last 3 premium modules not in the Diamond edition and which you can't get legally anymore (people hack the authentication to play them currently).

No mods add resolutions not supported by the game and the resolutions supported are very 2003 too.
    Yes! At this time, the following additional items are available for purchase.
    Premium Modules
    Pirates of the Sword Coast
    Infinite Dungeons
    Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

They are only coming free for the digital deluxe version, and have to be bought as separate purchases for non-deluxe versions. This si straight from the NWN EE FAQ https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#04

So far this EE does nothing. Anyone claiming they are adding higher resolution textures are reading from something I don't see. Beamdog is phoning this on. Look at the features of BG EE compared to this. It literally does nothing besides have UI scale for 4k. Anyone who states there are no UI mods that work with1920x1080 hasn't done a simple search for it since 2003 or so.

Maybe they are mistaking better textures for this:

Advanced Graphics Options: Pixel shaders and post-processing effects make for crisper, cleaner visuals. Enable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field options as preferred.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    I wonder if I still have my original disks and if so, which box did I put them in? Life before Steam was so complicated... 
    I just found my original Dark Age of Camelot box (with pristine CD), and BOTH vanilla and Shrouded Isles Prima guides the other day.  I almost squeaked with glee.
    [Deleted User]Iselin

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I still have the Gold edition of this game with the discs and the big manual book. I also have a couple of books about using the module.

I also have the dvd for NWN2.

Furthermore, I also have the games, both of them, on GoG and Steam.

If that is not enough, I love the games, the entire series. 

I am really excited about this but at the same time, I am worried this may be a poorly made cash grab that will effectively ruin the game for any new purchasers. 

Watching how this ends up going. Proper EE or a hack job?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Xodic said:

I wonder if they will ever take a crack at a Jagged Alliance 2 EE. The community 1.3 patch just doesn't cut it.
    I would rather see them do an EE of the Temple of Elemental Evil.  One of my favorite cRPGs.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I prefer NWN2 tbh, a lot.l, I'll even be skipping this one because even back then I found it archaic in its setup. And Temple of Elemental Evil? YES please!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Wonder where the people who play the nostalgia card are?

Oh that's right all of these enhanced editions are selling just fine and people still enjoy them. I love NWN personally. Will add this to Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etcetc. I just wish they would make a NWN 3. It's still fun to play a game from 2002 but would be much more excited if we got NWN 3 with all the best from 1 and 2 in a modern package.
    rodingo[Deleted User]

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Nilden said:
    Wonder where the people who play the nostalgia card are?

Oh that's right all of these enhanced editions are selling just fine and people still enjoy them. I love NWN personally. Will add this to Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etcetc. I just wish they would make a NWN 3. It's still fun to play a game from 2002 but would be much more excited if we got NWN 3 with all the best from 1 and 2 in a modern package.
    I'm right there with you. As much as I would love a nwn3, I'll take a enhanced addition to pad my collection of the old school.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Neverwinter Nights 3 where art thou?
    [Deleted User]Nilden
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Well they better enhance the shit out of it for me to even think about buying again something I already have lol.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Can't wait to see what characters they ruin by shoehorning their politics into them. Maybe Deekin can have some gamergate references, and Daelan can be trans.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Never really got into Baldurs Gate, but NWN was excellent. NWN2 took a while to get into at first, but also really good.

I think buying a remastered edition is a good idea for people that don't have it, assuming they can stand the obviously outdated visuals. But as with most remastered versions, it's mostly pointless if you already have the game.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    One of my favorite RPGs by far. Must have gone like 3-4 times through it. I am unsure I would spend additional money just for textures and models after I bought the Diamond edition and there are free mods to improve graphics.