Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Elves & Mordor Expansion Now Available for Points - Lord of the Rings Online - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited November 2017
    Thnx for all the info.

Lets say I buy all the expansions except mordor, get lvl 20 and dont got a sub or any other packs, can I do dungeons (6man)

Edit: And I saw one expansion comes with 1k lotro point. Is it worth to get high elves or save ot for something else?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Not to 20, to 30ish :wink:  (Lone-lands is free as well)
    With the expansions you will get access to quite a large chunk of the instances and raids, but between level 30 and 50 you won't have any, so during that time you can only replay Great Barrows and Garth Agarwen instances if you have a dungeoneering mood. (GB is scalable, that can offer proper challenge during those levels too, but GA is fixed on level 32)

Here's a list, you can check what can and can't you access with only the expansions:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/World_Instance

Yep, Helm's Deep gives 1000 Points if you buy it from the Market (and not from the in-game store). I too am thinking about buying it, I have a free alt account for just fooling around, and let's face it, 1000 Points is around $10, but even on sale it is around $7. Now you get it for $6, and get the HD expansion on the side for free :wink:  (if you look at it from the backside around)

High elves... good question. Unless you are very fond of playing it instead of regular elves, I don't think it worths it. I plan to buy it later on a sale. It's mostly cosmetic, the racial traits are not that important in LotRO anymore (back in the days race had more weight), and for the same amount you can buy beornings, which is an actual class too, besides the race and the starter Vale, with new mechanics and all.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    Dragnelus said:
    Thnx for all the info.

Lets say I buy all the expansions except mordor, get lvl 20 and dont got a sub or any other packs, can I do dungeons (6man)

Edit: And I saw one expansion comes with 1k lotro point. Is it worth to get high elves or save ot for something else?
    High elf is just cosmetic really, I wouldn't bother with it. I'd save that 1000 to get Mordor or get inventory space if you're not subbing or get the quest packs you need if you're not subbing. By the time you get to Morder you'll easily have earned waaay more than enough LotRO Points through Deeds to buy it for free.

Honestly, if you know you like the game and know you'll get enough fun hours out of it, you should sub for 1 month. It'll make the start a lot more enjoyable and you get tons of permanent upgrades for your characters as long as you log in with them once when subbed (Quick travel, Trait Unlocks, Currency cap unlock, Bag Space, Free horse riding at level 20, etc.). Those upgrades stay if you stop subbing.

Right now, if it's choice between getting Helm's Deep or subbing for 1 month, I'd chose to sub. You can easily earn HD and Mordor for free then with less annoyances along the way. It'll be a while before you even get to Helm's Deep content.

There is a ton of benefits for subbing for 1 month. After 1 month you don't need it as much anymore.
    Dragnelus
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Honestly, LoTR:O's f2p model is bullshit of unparalleled measure. People like to badger SWTOR, but give a free pass to LoTR:O. Why?
    There's no way to permanently unlock the currency cap in SWTOR. Subbing is not optional to play properly because of that.

LOTRO might take effort to play completely for free but it can be done. Plus, LOTRO Points can be earned infinitely by creating new characters. Cartel points can only be earned once per account per server.
    [Deleted User]Po_gg
    Yep, in an another thread I measured it to STO, but even STO has a much better model than TOR. LotRO's model is flexible, you can do anything with it, and based on your preferences you can play as easy or as free as you want.
    TOR's model is like dancing with handcuffs on your ankles and knees and wrists and a few more places too :wink:  and even after the three (or 4?) revamps it is still pretty restrictive.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited November 2017
    Fast question again, went to evernight. She made an elf I made a dwarf, we could lvl a bit but now im at thorin's hall and she is at celodim. How can we do the same quests? 

Edit: I think I found it, one needs to travel. But can the one who travel still do the prologue quests?

edited November 2017
    Either do a rock-paper-scissors (lizard-spock :wink: ) and team up at the winner's side and finish that book first, then go to the other's, or
    Do both simultaneously. (that way you will run back and forth a lot)

No race's first book is "locked", so as a dwarf you can do the elf starting story (rescuing the prince) just as she can do the dwarven one. And both of you can do the man and hobbit start too. And you can do all four even at the same time. Or you can skip them entirely, level up till 10ish and go to Bree.

The storyline in LoTRO is absolutely not mandatory, more like just a guideline through the given zone. Each zone has a Book, can start at will or ignore entirely, and that Book has a storyline based on the given zone.

edit: of course playing all the Book quests, and preferably in order gives a nice "around and parallel the Fellowship" feel, but totally optional. Can be a bit confusing though when you skip Evendim for example, then later at endgame go there for grabbing the deeds, and you help reforging the Narsil which Aragorn already had while you were at Rohan :wink: the in-game explanation for that is each zone is "time-locked", so it doesn't matter when you play a zone, that zone's story has a "fixed" place in the storyline (the Book numbers).
    So the events happened in order, you just read them while jumping back and forth in the book.
    I think it's a clever solution onto the whole "nothing is changing in the game" complaints theme-park MMOs usually get.
    Dragnelus
    edited November 2017
    Dragnelus said:
    Fast question again, went to evernight. She made an elf I made a dwarf, we could lvl a bit but now im at thorin's hall and she is at celodim. How can we do the same quests? 

Edit: I think I found it, one needs to travel. But can the one who travel still do the prologue quests?
    Simply put, yes you can both do the prologue quests in any area

They are different too so if you want more story you can do them all.
    Dragnelus
    edited November 2017
    They are different too so if you want more story you can do them all.
    Actually as a dwarf-elf couple you definitely should play both, since those two are joining at the end, and it's good to see how the other side gets there :smiley:
    I mean all 4 starting book ends up in Bree, and from there every race does the same Books (tied to the given zone), but elf and dwarf (since they are both in Ered Luin) joining before that, and finishing the last, I don't know, 1/3 of Ered Luin's story together.

(with avoiding spoilers I'd say if you don't mind beating some lower level mobs and doing easy quests, then when you get to Gondamon with the story, go back to the other side's start and play that story too until Gondamon. After that your story will be shared, and you can do the instances together)
    Dragnelus
    Gorwe said:
    SWTOR doesn't limit you to chapter 1 of class stories unless you subscribe. It merely limits stash space / equipment(boo hoo, you can't use purples, an item tier only really necessary in HM OPs+) etc.

I mean, I still can't stand by level 30+ locked, locked virtues, locket traits in trees(those on the side you get by putting point into any tree)...?

Since when are either SWTOR or ES:O so stingy?
    LOTRO has a barrier for entry but once you reach it, you don't have to sub. I subbed for 1 month. Bought 2 expansions with real money and earned everything else for free. Literally everything. I've spent a total of about $40 on the game and that's all I'll ever need to spend. Ever. I have enough free LOTRO point now to buy any future quest packs and expansions and it's still growing.
    Dragnelus